Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-06-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default Mavs not allowed to be tired

MAVERICKS NOTES

Mavs not allowed to be tired

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENVER -- Don't throw out games on consecutive nights or stretches of four games in five days as reasons for lethargic performances. Mavericks coach Avery Johnson won't stand for it.

"If the commissioner changed the schedule and we had to play three games in a row or four games in a row, championship teams find a way to win it," Johnson said. "We don't use tired as an excuse."

Johnson used the Detroit Pistons, more specifically their 25-4 record, as proof that effort can be there every night. The Mavs (23-9) haven't suffered too many letdowns this season, but when they have, Johnson has pointed it out.

"We just have to show up every night ready to play," forward Josh Howard said. Wednesday's 91-78 loss at Minnesota dropped the Mavs' record to 5-4 on the second night of back-to-backs (they beat Portland on Tuesday).

Johnson's team begins another one tonight at Denver before returning home face the Timberwolves again Saturday at American Airlines Center to finish off the four-in-five-nights string.

Despite having their lowest scoring game of the season, the Mavs did lead at the half (41-38) and were only down 52-51 midway through the third quarter at Minnesota. The T'wolves took off from there, ending the period on a 17-9 run. They shot 73 percent in the quarter, with Kevin Garnett and Marco Jaric combining for 19 points.

"They just made a run on us in the third quarter," center DeSagana Diop said. "We couldn't get any stops. They got hot and we couldn't get back in the game."

The Nuggets (16-17) offer a test similar to Minnesota, a talented team with lofty preseason aspirations hovering around .500. The Mavs beat Denver in their first meeting this season.

Johnson said the Mavs -- with the third-best record in the NBA -- should expect every team's best shot.

"We've been on the radar," guard Jerry Stackhouse said. "Teams know who we are. They're going to have to play when they come see us."

Passing fancy

Becoming a better passer has been Dirk Nowitzki's ongoing project for several years. Finding cutters, shooters for open jumpers and Erick Dampier under the basket are priorities for the Mavs' leading scorer.

"That's still something I have to work on," said Nowitzki, averaging 2.6 assists.

Getting better passes to Nowitzki is also something the Mavs, as a team, are working on. Funneling the ball back to Nowitzki after he passes out of a double-team has been a main focus.

"That's something we struggled to do in the playoffs last year," coach Avery Johnson said. "And when he did get the ball back, it was always in what I call the 911 situation with two seconds on the shot, and he had to throw up something crazy."

Briefly

Since Jerry Stackhouse returned five games ago, Dirk Nowitzki has not scored more than 24 points in a game. He's averaged 23.2 points in that stretch.

Adrian Griffin's contract will become guaranteed for the remainder of the season on Tuesday. The waiver deadline was Thursday.

Avery Johnson and Mavs owner Mark Cuban both picked Texas before the national championship football game.

GAMEDAY

Mavericks at Nuggets

8 tonight, Pepsi Center, Denver

TV: FSN Southwest

Radio: ESPN/103.3 FM; KFLC/1270 AM (Spanish)

Records: Mavs 23-9, Denver 16-17

Keys to the game

Melo v. J-Ho: Mavs top defender Josh Howard get the task of sticking to Nuggets leading scorer Carmelo Anthony. Both third-year forwards are at the top of their games.

Who's inside: Denver center Francisco Elson, filling in for injured Marcus Camby, is putting up better numbers as a starter (8.3 points, 7.5 rebounds a game) than Erick Dampier (5.9 points, 7.7 rebounds).

Big Mo': The Mavs are looking to bounce back after a sluggish showing Wednesday at Minnesota, while the Nuggets look to ride the momentum of consecutive double-figure wins.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Avery is right to not stand for it. This bench is unbelievably deep. Of course I didn't see him go to any energy guys which I think would have been a wise thing to do against Minny. I would have liked to have seen DJ and the CongoCager in there to run around.

I think Nelson might have won that one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
DeusDeOmini
Banned

DeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these parts

"Getting better passes to Nowitzki is also something the Mavs, as a team, are working on. Funneling the ball back to Nowitzki after he passes out of a double-team has been a main focus.

"That's something we struggled to do in the playoffs last year," coach Avery Johnson said. "And when he did get the ball back, it was always in what I call the 911 situation with two seconds on the shot, and he had to throw up something crazy."'

So true
DeusDeOmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

DJ would have been fun to see on KG...I agree 1394
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote