Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Mavs vs. Pistons in the 2006 Finals

I am calling it on 1/19/06.

Mavs vs. Pistons in the 2006 NBA finals.

The Mavs are going to end up with the best record in the West and are going to beat San Antonio in six or seven games in the semis and then go on to beat the Suns in the finals.

The Pistons are going to steamroll through the Eastern playoffs -- Shaq is not what he used to be and Wade can't beat the Pistons by himself.

If it comes down to it -- assuming homecourt advantage by the Pistons -- how do you think the Mavs fare in this matchup?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

depends on if we can contain billups and howard is able to play prince to a standstill.

i think dirk is the best player in this series and i think usually the team with the best player wins. we knows this isnt always the case especially with the pistons, but how the mavs fare will have a lot more to do with containing billups and hamilton, while making sure that dirk gets his points.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Wanna make a bold prediction?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I already made one.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i like the pistons in 7. the pistons have a way of turning up the D that i haven't seen from dallas yet, and i also think the pistons get the benefit of more calls on the defensive end of the court than the mavs do.

if the mavs and the pistons met in the finals, i think the pistons have a slight edge. of course, i hope i'm wrong.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

Mavs matchup really well to the pistons. If they get that far they could pull the upset. Daniels size will bother Billups, Terry can handle Hamilton with help from Harris so they don't get tired, Rasheed has trouble with outside-in players (see Horry), and Diop can freelance off of Ben Wallace and get ton of blocks. I predict the mavs in 6 against the Pistons though I think the Spurs are a different story.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I already made one.
And it is a good one.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

pistons in 5.

chauncy would show why he beat dirk out for the mvp. JET nor harris can handle that dude.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I said this before and I say it again.
Mavs are the only team that can beat Detroit.
Last season somehow the Spurs got lucky and beat them in 7.
Mavs vs Pistons would be a great showdown and I am very very confident that Dallas would win in 6 or 7 games.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Don't lose this thread. This will be good to have in the end.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar
pistons in 5.

chauncy would show why he beat dirk out for the mvp. JET nor harris can handle that dude.
hahaha! Billups is 2nd or 3rd tier talent, Dirk is 1st. I think Dirk will be the one showing who is who. Billups steps it up in the post season for sure, but so does Dirk, and this year he's stepped up more than we've ever seen so far this regular season.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

I have the unfortunate feeling that, if we finally got past the Spurs, we'd suffer a let down against the Pistons. They've been there twice.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #13
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
I have the unfortunate feeling that, if we finally got past the Spurs, we'd suffer a let down against the Pistons. They've been there twice.
Remember the Pistons beat the unbeatable Lakers two years back. That Lakers squad had many many many playoff series, rings, MVPs, etc. The Pistons had what, DPOY?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #14
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Top 10 reasons Mavs win in 6

10. Avery Johnson is no longer a playoff virgin coach

9. Kobe is not a Piston.

8. Mavs record would be as good as Detroit's if we had not blown so many games to inferior teams. I think that problem has been cured.

7. Dampier actually plays hard the entire series. He's one of the few who can bang with big Ben. He and Terry now know what to expect in the playoffs, and have to make up for last year's embarrassments.

6. Dirk has whipped Rasheed in the playoffs, when 'Sheed was in his prime. Dirks better now, 'Sheed is worse.

5. Devin Harris will play the point 30 minutes per game, and have the offense really clicking. His dunks, drives and passes will startle the nation.

4. The mid season injuries are giving 10 of our players tons of playing time. We will be better prepared to cope with injuries, play matchups and handle foul trouble.

3. Terry will go nuts in at least 1 game.

2. Dirk will need to prove he should have been MVP. He'll average 30.

(personally, I'm more worried about a healthy PHX than the aging Spurs or Detroit.)

Number 1 reason. AJ knows from experience what Nellie could only wonder about. That my sig is true.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #15
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
hahaha! Billups is 2nd or 3rd tier talent, Dirk is 1st. I think Dirk will be the one showing who is who. Billups steps it up in the post season for sure, but so does Dirk, and this year he's stepped up more than we've ever seen so far this regular season.

the difference being, detriot has an excellent defender on dirk in rasheed. we have Jet guarding Billups....so you can see who is more likely to go off.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #16
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

detroit will not have to double dirk because of rasheed. they will then back off the other players and eliminate the ability to drive to the basket. basically they will make the mavs a jump shooting team. no dissrepect to the mave but alot of the mav offense relies on dirk getting doubled which then creates open looks for other players. when the mavs offense is working on full cylindars (sp?) this causes opposing defenses to be out of position which allows for driving to the basket possibilities. if the pistions can virtually make tony parker a perimiter player they can do the same for terry whaich happens to be the second optionfor the mavs. since the mavs center position is not a source of offense big ben is allowed to roam the lane and contest every shot that does manage to make it into the paint. all in all the pistons will be tough team for anyone to beat 4 out of 7 times.

if the finals started at this point in the season the pistons would beat the mavs in 5.

Last edited by George Gervin; 01-20-2006 at 09:41 AM.
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
detroit will not have to double dirk because of rasheed. they will then back off the other players and eliminate the ability to drive to the basket. basically they will make the mavs a jump shooting team. no dissrepect to the mave but alot of the mav offense relies on dirk getting doubled which then creates open looks for other players. when the mavs offense is working on full cylindars (sp?) this causes opposing defenses to be out of position which allows for driving to the basket possibilities. if the pistions can virtually make tony parker a perimiter player they can do the same for terry whaich happens to be the second optionfor the mavs. since the mavs center position is not a source of offense big ben is allowed to roam the lane and contest every shot that does manage to make it into the paint. all in all the pistons will be tough team for anyone to beat 4 out of 7 times.

if the finals started at this point in the season the pistons would beat the mavs in 5.
you really haven't watched any games between the mavs and pistons have you? sheed has a snowman's chance in hell of guarding dirk one on one. in fact, i'd wager that prince guards dirk the majority of the time in a series.

one overlooked facet of dirk's improvement this season, is his vast improvement in the post. he abuses smaller defenders on a regular basis now, and i'd say the pistons will still have to double dirk regardless of where he is. AJ has dirk running off screens, setting up in the midpost, running the high pick and roll. its simply impossible for rasheed to contain dirk with regularity.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry, you guys are talking about Sheed being able to guard Dirk and it might seem reasonable on paper, 6'10" long arms realtivly good quickness, but if you actually watched games you'd know that 'Sheed can't guard Dirk at all. . . whether or not the Pistons double is another issue all together, but to say that Sheed neutralizes Dirk all by himself is total bullshiet. . .

Last edited by greensborohill; 01-20-2006 at 10:31 AM.
greensborohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #19
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
you really haven't watched any games between the mavs and pistons have you? sheed has a snowman's chance in hell of guarding dirk one on one. in fact, i'd wager that prince guards dirk the majority of the time in a series.

one overlooked facet of dirk's improvement this season, is his vast improvement in the post. he abuses smaller defenders on a regular basis now, and i'd say the pistons will still have to double dirk regardless of where he is. AJ has dirk running off screens, setting up in the midpost, running the high pick and roll. its simply impossible for rasheed to contain dirk with regularity.

fine you believe that. the psitons will allow dirk to hang outside all day long and shoot jumpers.. along with everybody else. this will cause rebounding nightmares for the mavs because prince , big ben, and mcdyess are far more atheltic than any of the mavs post players and all game long you will have 4 mavericks hanging around on the perimiter.. jump shooting away.. the pistons are a machine and if the mavs want to make it a dirk vs rasheed series they will lose in 4..
Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #20
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensborohill
I'm sorry, you guys are talking about Sheed being able to guard Dirk and it might seem reasonable on paper, 6'10" long arms realtivly good quickness, but if you actually watched games you'd know that 'Sheed can't guard Dirk at all. . . whether or not the Pistons double is another issue all together, but to say that Sheed neutralizes Dirk all by himself is total bullshiet. . .

totally nuetrailizes? where did i say that? sheed will make things tough on dirk. dirk may score 30 but he will have to take 25 shots to do it.. by the way when dirk is on the perimiter who is going to deal with wallace eating up the glass? you better not mention diop or the second best center in the NBA.. mcdyess will take his turn on dirk.. of and the fun part would be is the pistons would make dirk work on offense and defense... all day long..
Old 01-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #21
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
fine you believe that. the psitons will allow dirk to hang outside all day long and shoot jumpers.. along with everybody else. this will cause rebounding nightmares for the mavs because prince , big ben, and mcdyess are far more atheltic than any of the mavs post players and all game long you will have 4 mavericks hanging around on the perimiter.. jump shooting away.. the pistons are a machine and if the mavs want to make it a dirk vs rasheed series they will lose in 4..
wow, you've managed the trifecta of stupidity. ignorant, uninformed, and unintelligent.

mcdyess is a blown up shell of his former self. i think prince and howard board equally as well. ben wallace is probably a better rebounder than anyone the mavs have, but when you open your mouth, and type a thought, you just spew a bunch of cow manure. stackhouse and daniels are + rebounders for the 2 spot and are better than any of the piston's 2s on the boards.

dirk shoots 47%. about an equal distribution between driving and jumpshooting. he takes what the defense gives him. if the defense gives him the jumper, he's going to take that all day. detroit will have to double him. there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

its unbelievable. i don't know if you are trying to troll or are really this stupid. just because your spurs got their asses handed to them in 2 games doesn't mean the mavs will or are inferior. we match up far better than the spurs do. the spurs have no athleticism along the front line at all. the mavs do. theres a huge amount of difference.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
9. Kobe is not a Piston.
And if the Mavs happen to run into Kobe in the first round?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #23
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
wow, you've managed the trifecta of stupidity. ignorant, uninformed, and unintelligent.

mcdyess is a blown up shell of his former self. i think prince and howard board equally as well. ben wallace is probably a better rebounder than anyone the mavs have, but when you open your mouth, and type a thought, you just spew a bunch of cow manure. stackhouse and daniels are + rebounders for the 2 spot and are better than any of the piston's 2s on the boards.

dirk shoots 47%. about an equal distribution between driving and jumpshooting. he takes what the defense gives him. if the defense gives him the jumper, he's going to take that all day. detroit will have to double him. there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

its unbelievable. i don't know if you are trying to troll or are really this stupid. just because your spurs got their asses handed to them in 2 games doesn't mean the mavs will or are inferior. we match up far better than the spurs do. the spurs have no athleticism along the front line at all. the mavs do. theres a huge amount of difference.

wow a mav pulls out useless percentages and is gulity of the "you must not have watched the .. play"... mcdyess besides dirk is better than the mavs can roll out at the 4 or 5.. shell or not and is still more athletic than any post player on the mavs.. and again we fall back into the reg season gibberish.. remember we have played these guys 9 times in the past 6 months and I have had a chance to see the match ups and the way the pistons play. the 2 reg season games you mentioned were played the way the finals unfolded.. the pistons were playing the same way they did in the finals.. and as you can see they are pretty damn good.. please let me know who the athletes are on the front line for the mavs?... as you can see i never brought the spurs up..as a matter of fact i could have said the mavs would never get past the spurs you moron.. i was actually agreeing that this could be a finals match-up and offered my analysis at this point of the season.. but yet i guess i don't see the wisdom and agree the mavs are the best team ever.. i guess all you have to argue with is the 'on-paper' matchups... that's fine

Last edited by George Gervin; 01-20-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #24
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

The pistons do well when they can dig in and stop a half court team. That is why the Spuz get their asses handed to them. The Spuz would be well served to shoot a few more jumpers against them to open up the middle. Especially late in games. The Mavs, on the other hand, can hit lots of jumpers if defenders sag off a bit as the Pistons do. Look at the Mavs record against the Pistons over the last few years.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #25
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
The pistons do well when they can dig in and stop a half court team. That is why the Spuz get their asses handed to them. The Spuz would be well served to shoot a few more jumpers against them to open up the middle. Especially late in games. The Mavs, on the other hand, can hit lots of jumpers if defenders sag off a bit as the Pistons do. Look at the Mavs record against the Pistons over the last few years.

come on guys..jump shooting is not going to win you the championship.. and you say open up the middle..for who?..
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #26
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
And if the Mavs happen to run into Kobe in the first round?
Honestly i was worried a bit about Mavs being #1 and playing #8 Lakers, especially with our overall record against the Lakers. But the Lakers are probably gonna grab spot 6 or 7.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #27
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough
Default Oh Brother. . .

Quote:
The 'Stons have been playing more up tempo now, that kinda plays to the Mavs liking a bit. . .

And to that idiot Spurs fan that has been trolling around. . . . I've seen the Spurs get outrebounded a lot this season, they are not a good rebounding team. Don't think that just b/c the Spurs didn't rebound well against the 'Stons that Dallas won't. Dallas is a far better rebounding team than SAS is. . . check the stats cry baby boy, plus, we outrebounded Detroit 47 to 26 when we played them last time. Dallas for the season is a +3.6 in rebounding edge over opponents, Detriot is + 0.8 & SAS is only +0.7 . . . so get the funk out with your analysis. . . you obviously don't know what you are talking about. . .

Last edited by greensborohill; 01-20-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #28
greensborohill

Quote:
come on guys..jump shooting is not going to win you the championship.. and you say open up the middle..for who?..

ARE YOU AN IDIOT??

Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse all points in the paint guys. . . hell, even Damp & Diop are good for a stick back each & a basket each. GO AWAY!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #29
greensborohill

And just for references sake. . . just to show how tempo affects the game. . . . . the Suns grab 43.1 rebounds a game. . good for 4th in the NBA. . they're a good rebounding team right??

WRONG

Their rebound differential is -4.0

Here's the top few

Utah +5.1
New York +4.4
Miami +3.7
Dallas +3.6
LAC +3.6

Dallas is also #5 in off rebounds a game. . . guess what Gervin. . . that usually leads to stick backs (OMG those are point in the paint).

Last edited by greensborohill; 01-20-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #30
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:

I didn't say that jump shooting was the way to win a championship. Please re-read the post. The Spuz are afraid to shoot a jumper, especially late in games, and this plays right in the pistons game plan. The Spuz need to mix in a few jumpers to open the middle. The pistons like to dig in against a half court offense. This works well agains the Spuz. Notice how the Spuz made large runs against the Pistons when the were badly behind on the scoreboard? They made their runs because the opened it up a bit. The Pistons have a hard time with this. Again check the mavs record against the Pistons over the last few years.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #31
George Gervin

Quote:
The 'Stons have been playing more up tempo now, that kinda plays to the Mavs liking a bit. . .

And to that idiot Spurs fan that has been trolling around. . . . I've seen the Spurs get outrebounded a lot this season, they are not a good rebounding team. Don't think that just b/c the Spurs didn't rebound well against the 'Stons that Dallas won't. Dallas is a far better rebounding team than SAS is. . . check the stats cry baby boy, plus, we outrebounded Detroit 47 to 26 when we played them last time. Dallas for the season is a +3.6 in rebounding edge over opponents, Detriot is + 0.8 & SAS is only +0.7 . . . so get the funk out with your analysis. . . you obviously don't know what you are talking about. . .

oh brother ..now the because the mavs have better rebounding numbers means they match up with the pistons..and they use the reg season game as the gauge.. i guess when all you have is the 'reg season' i am understanding the 'on paper' arguments better now.. you have nothing else to show a matchup.. cry baby? we have won 3 championships you idiot..how's that funk?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #32
George Gervin

Quote:
I didn't say that jump shooting was the way to win a championship. Please re-read the post. The Spuz are afraid to shoot a jumper, especially late in games, and this plays right in the pistons game plan. The Spuz need to mix in a few jumpers to open the middle. The pistons like to dig in against a half court offense. This works well agains the Spuz. Notice how the Spuz made large runs against the Pistons when the were badly behind on the scoreboard? They made their runs because the opened it up a bit. The Pistons have a hard time with this. Again check the mavs record against the Pistons over the last few years.

you make it sound so easy but it's not. look we won last year because we played the same way we did throughout the reg season.. since the pistons don't double they do not leave their men.. they can contest every jump shot.. so either we take contested jump shots or we take it to the rack.. or at least try too and as you can see from the past 2 games we were not successful..
Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavs are a better rebounding team so far this year than the Pistons, by quite a bit. The Pistons might beat the Mavs in a series, but I'd be surprised if it were because the Pistons dominated the glass.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #34
greensborohill

Quote:
oh brother ..now the because the mavs have better rebounding numbers means they match up with the pistons..and they use the reg season game as the gauge.. i guess when all you have is the 'reg season' i am understanding the 'on paper' arguments better now.. you have nothing else to show a matchup.. cry baby? we have won 3 championships you idiot..how's that funk?
First you wanted to analyze, and when I actually showed you concrete numbers, you revert to the same old tired "we have three rings, wa, wa, wa". If you wanna use the "Dallas is just a regular season team" arguement, then that's fine, nobody here can argue that until Dallas advances past the Spurs. But when you come in here trying to be all analytical about why Dallas would lose to the Pistons, and then get owned in the process. . . then you just look stupid.

And for the record, I respect SAS, I respect DET, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna let thier fans come in here and spew falsities (is that a word?) and get away w/ it. . . .

If you wanna revert back to the "we have three rings & you're a regular season team" crap then that's you choice. . . but don't come in here thinking you know about the Mavs when you obviously don't. . .

Last edited by greensborohill; 01-20-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #35
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
The Mavs are a better rebounding team so far this year than the Pistons, by quite a bit. The Pistons might beat the Mavs in a series, but I'd be surprised if it were because the Pistons dominated the glass.

that's because the way the mavs can cause opposing defense problems. when the mavs offense is going well you have the other team scrambling trying to rotate to open guys which causes alot of players to be out of rebounding position. the mavs have been so successful this season because of the efficiency of their offense..against detroit you will not find their guys out of rebounding position..you will have ben wallace patrolling the paint because he will not have to play defense against diop or the 2nd best center in the west..this is not a knock about dallas' lack of rebounding rather it's just their match-up with the pistons.. the first game against the spurs the mavs had those guys running ragged and way out of position.. they had a big rebounding edge and they dominated the game..
Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #36
George Gervin

Quote:
First you wanted to analysis, and when I actually showed you concrete numbers, you revert to the same old tired "we have three rings, wa, wa, wa". If you wanna use the "Dallas is just a regular season team" arguement, then that's fine, nobody here can argue that until Dallas advances past the Spurs. But when you come in here trying to be all analytical about why Dallas would lose to the Spurs, and then get owned in the process. . . then you just look stupid.

And for the record, I respect SAS, I respect DET, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna let thier fans come in here and spew falsities (is that a word?) and get away w/ it. . . .

If you wanna revert back to the "we have three rings & you're a regular season team" crap then that's you choice. . . but don't come in here thinking you know about the Mavs when you obviously don't. . .

your an idiot you were the one that brought up the spurs i never did and secondly i only responded to the 3 ring argument when another mav fan lowered themselves to call me a cry baby.. your right about the 'reg season' label the mavs carry because it is the same one the spurs carried for a very long time.. as far as the % you put i do not put much into comparing teams %'s in certain areas becuase in a 7 game series you can throw all that junk out the window.. i am not trying to discount stats but head to head those stats change.. and realistically those stats are based on playing 29 other teams with different styles and philosophies..

Last edited by George Gervin; 01-20-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #37
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are a good offensive rebounding team because they have several first rate offensive rebounders. Josh and Damp in particular are among the best in the league at their positions, Griff is also excellent, particularly when he plays at SG, and Quis is no slouch, either.

And oh yeah, when the Mavs played the Pistons earlier this year they outrebounded them 47-26.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #38
Bookit
Diamond Member

Popovich just can't help himself. When it comes down to needing an important score, Pop tells Tim to get him a hoop in the half court or pass out of the double team to an open shooter. Sound familiar? The only problem is that the Pistons don't double team Duncan and don't come off shooters in the half court. And Duncan has a hard time scoring agains the Wallaces. The result is 2 games with offensive output of 70 points!

The Mavs open it up a bit and have many shooters who can create their own shot. Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Mavs have won 5 of 6 or 4 of 5 against the Pistons. Also, the Mavs handed the Pistons 2 losses in the preseason.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #39
greensborohill

Quote:
your an idiot you were the one that brought up the spurs i never did and secondly i only responded to the 3 ring argument when another mav fan lowered themselves to call me a cry baby.. your right about the 'reg season' label the mavs carry because it is the same one the spurs carried for a very long time.. as far as the % you put i do not put much into comparing teams %'s in certain areas becuase in a 7 game series you can throw all that junk out the window.. i am not trying to discount stats but head to head those stats change.. and realistically those stats are based on playing 29 other teams with different styles and philosophies..
That's BS, so your saying in a 7 game series between ATL & SAS you can just throw stats & records out the window? Stats may lie sometimes (as with PHO's rebounding stat I gave) but they do count for something. . . . as a Spurs fanwhy are you even worried about the Mavs & what goes on on a Mavs board if you really believe we are just a regular seasont eam?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #40
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure G.G. is also a member of the Hawks' and the Hornets' message board as well, aren't you G.G.?