Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Focus is on getting physical

Focus is on getting physical

Coach has tried to whip them into shape, but have teams noticed?

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

After more than half a season of demanding a more physical style from his team, Avery Johnson said the Mavericks are making progress.

For a dissenting opinion, we give you Phil Jackson.

"They're not a physical team," the Lakers coach said Monday. "Not that I remember. That's not their style. They play an open-court game."

And just like that, any perception that the Mavericks have become more physical was thrown for a loss. While Jackson said the Mavericks' defense has shown improvement, he thinks that's more a product of their pace than their physicality.

"The two games we've played against them, I think they're playing better defense," Jackson said. "They're more [conscious] of it. But that's more tempo. They're not playing at that outrageous tempo they did before."

Johnson readily admits his team is not as physical as he wants it to be. But he knows it is making strides, even if the rest of the NBA isn't noticing yet. And he said he believes he can make a difference in teaching a physical style.

"Absolutely, it's my job to teach it," he said. "A lot of times, we'll say: 'He's not a physical player.' Sometimes, that gives guys an out."

Tough day for 'Hawk backers: Point guard Jason Terry and equipment manager Al Whitley endured a heavy dose of grief as their beloved Seattle Seahawks bombed in the Super Bowl.

"Diehard fans die hard sometimes," Terry said. "My team did well. They made it to the championship game. They just weren't quite ready to put the crown on. They'll be back next year."

Whitley had to wear Brad Davis' Steelers' shirt at practice to pay off part of his wager.

No chance: The thought of Kobe Bryant scoring 100 points was a topic at both practices Monday. The consensus is that there's no way it could ever happen.

"Ludicrous is probably the best word I could think of," said Jackson about the possibility. "I can't imagine a situation where it would require it. It just doesn't seem like it's part of what the game's all about. At this particular stage, I don't see it happening."

Briefly: Dirk Nowitzki on failing to lead the Mavericks in scoring the last four games: "I'm fine with 18 as long as we win." He also dismissed any idea of him running up 81 points like Bryant did. "No way," he said. "I'd be exhausted after the first quarter." ... Kobe Bryant is a prime MVP candidate, as is Nowitzki. But neither is preoccupied with it. "My concern is getting us back to the championship level," Bryant said. "I couldn't care less about the MVP." ... Jason Terry said he vividly remembers a few things about Bryant's 62-point game in December. "That it was a long flight afterward, wherever we went [Sacramento]," he said. "And I remember that expression on his face. He was very excited, and his teammates were excited. Phil was kind of laughing. It was depressing on our end. But it was definitely happy on his end."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Mavs trying for hard reality

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- As far as the Zen Master is concerned, the Mavericks are still soft.

Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson couldn't be blunter when asked Monday afternoon if he expects the Mavs to get physical with Kobe Bryant tonight at American Airlines Center.

"The Mavs are not a physical team," Jackson said after a sizable pause. "Not that I know of. Not that I remember. That's not the style they play. They play an open-court game."

Considering the Lakers have averaged 110.5 points in compiling a 2-0 record against the Mavs this season, the opinion isn't without merit. And considering Bryant has averaged 52.5 points in those two meetings, including that embarrassing 62-point eruption Dec. 20, Jackson isn't the only one outside of North Texas who thinks the Mavs don't get down and dirty.

The Mavs, however, feel they're a different team, especially defensively. They're 37-10, riding an 11-game winning streak, and haven't allowed 100 points in any of the 11 victories.

Bryant and the slumping Lakers (24-23) get to see firsthand if the Mavs are indeed a changed bunch for the first time since that night in Los Angeles about six weeks ago.

"I sure hope we're different," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "We seem to have been playing much more physical basketball on the defensive end."

While Jackson might not agree, the Mavs have numbers on their side. They're allowing 93.3 points (ninth in the league) overall and only 87.5 during the winning streak.

In the fourth quarter, the Mavs have really turned up the defensive intensity. They've given up 19.9 points in the fourth over the past 11 games on 34.6 percent shooting.

"We know how to play great team defense," Josh Howard said.

Kobe flashback

The words "Kobe Bryant" and "embarrassed" surfaced again, and with good reason. Sixty-two reasons, in fact.

"No one has forgotten," Adrian Griffin said simply.

Bryant, on is own, generates rock star-like hype whenever the Lakers roll into town. And there was plenty of interest Monday in how the Mavs were going to slow the NBA's leading scorer.

Mavs coach Avery Johnson joked (perhaps) that a 5-on-1 trap might be the only way.

"I've been seeing it the last couple games," Bryant shot back.

The Mavs intend to pressure Bryant, averaging 35.7 points, at both ends of the court, with Griffin, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris and Jason Terry all in the mix.

"We were embarrassed," Johnson said. "How deep does the embarrassment sink? ... It's not about us against a guy. It's about team defense and team offense."

Briefly

Dirk Nowitzki reiterated that basketball is a "team sport" when asked if it bothered him he hasn't been the leading scorer for four games: "I can score 18 points a game the rest of the season if we win the championship."

Nowitzki compared the 14-0 open to the 2002-03 season to the current 11-game winning streak: "That 14-0 didn't get us the ring."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Kind of a slap in the face isn't it. I for one hope Kobe gets put on his azz the first time he takes it in the lane. A single hard foul to start things off will go a long way in setting the tone. . . .
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I sure think Jackson and Bryant are just screaming for a humilliating blowout. I want to see Jackson face after we win in a big way and I want to see Kobe on the floor.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Jackson isn't going to kiss the opponents ass in the media or anywhere else. Who cares what he thinks anyway? I remember in a post game interview with Tim Duncan, they asked what he thought. . .who are we that we need daily affirmations from opposing teams? Screw them.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with jacktruth. Jackson's not going to praise the Mavs and talk about how great they are. And why should we care? He's in the business of trying to beat the Mavs, not build their confidence.

One can only hope that the Mavs give Phil something else to remember tonight. Perhaps something involving M'Benga, Kobe tumbling to the floor, and a puddle of blood.

***DISCLAIMER: The last sentence was a joke. Sort of.***
Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I'm with jacktruth. Jackson's not going to praise the Mavs and talk about how great they are. And why should we care? He's in the business of trying to beat the Mavs, not build their confidence.

One can only hope that the Mavs give Phil something else to remember tonight. Perhaps something involving M'Benga, Kobe tumbling to the floor, and a puddle of blood.

***DISCLAIMER: The last sentence was a joke. Sort of.***
You think it would be a little too obvious if DJ got his first start tonight and had the following line

6 minutes 0 pts, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 6 PF ????
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensborohill
You think it would be a little too obvious if DJ got his first start tonight and had the following line

6 minutes 0 pts, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 6 PF ????
A little. It should be 6 minutes, 0 rebound, 2 points (a nice fastbreak slam), 0 assists, 6 blocks and 6 fouls.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Phil is being VERY smart here. He knows that the Mavs will stomp the Lakers if the Mavs play their game. So he's trying to get the Mavs to "thug it up" to prove him wrong. Since thug ball isn't the Mavs game, we would lose the game.

Smart.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Arne
Golden Member

I think we will even win in thug ball... It doesn't matter. We can out-score them, out-rebound them. We can knock them on the floor. THIS IS GONNA BE A BLOWOUT.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Or perhaps a win.

Last edited by jacktruth; 02-07-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of it is tongue in cheek but I don't like the idea of making DJ our designated thug. He's still trying to elevate his game to the level where he can be a nightly contributor and the last thing he needs is to develop a reputation for being a thug with no skills. He struggles enough with fouls as it is.

The only point it would serve would be to satisfy the fans' bloodlust. Kobe's just going to get up and make his FT's.

If he comes through the lane, give him a hard foul...not a flagrant foul a hard foul. Anybody can do that...Dirk, Damp, Josh, even KVH. There's no point of one of our guys getting fined or suspended in a game that we enter as double digit favorites.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I know a lot of it is tongue in cheek but I don't like the idea of making DJ our designated thug. He's still trying to elevate his game to the level where he can be a nightly contributor and the last thing he needs is to develop a reputation for being a thug with no skills. He struggles enough with fouls as it is.

The only point it would serve would be to satisfy the fans' bloodlust. Kobe's just going to get up and make his FT's.

If he comes through the lane, give him a hard foul...not a flagrant foul a hard foul. Anybody can do that...Dirk, Damp, Josh, even KVH. There's no point of one of our guys getting fined or suspended in a game that we enter as double digit favorites.
It was completely tongue in cheek, at least from me. M'Benga isn't viewed as a thug now. I doubt he will do anything to change that.

The Mavs just need to give hard fouls, like you said. Players get tired of driving the lane when they have to keep getting up off the floor.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Phil is being VERY smart here. He knows that the Mavs will stomp the Lakers if the Mavs play their game. So he's trying to get the Mavs to "thug it up" to prove him wrong. Since thug ball isn't the Mavs game, we would lose the game.

Smart.
smart? yes. smug? yes. deserving of a whuppin? oh, heck yes!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

Instead of fouling hard Diop tries to block shots. I guess Dallas isn't a real physical defensive team but a very quick and athletic on defense.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I don't get it...if the Mavs are known for being a soft team, they should get away with more contact not LESS!!!
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
jacktruth
Golden Member

What is the obsession with this! Derrick Harper and his girlfriend were talking about this in the post-game. First, of course, is who cares what Phil Jackson says. Second is that he didn't say we were a poor defensive team. He said we weren't a physical team. Is he wrong? Are we the kind of team that wears you down in the post like Shaq would or Ben Wallace would? Do we muscle people around like Bruce Bowen? Like Karl Malone used to?

Last edited by jacktruth; 02-08-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First, of course, is who cares what Phil Jackson says.
far too many

Quote:
Second is that he didn't say we were a poor defensive team
though I think it was the intended implication.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

The obsession about this is that dallas does not give hard fouls. they just don't. They are active and contest shots but when someone comes in the lane they are not given a hard foul as a matter of course.

A few will, Griff did last night, josh/stack and dampier by accident but our superstar does NOT. It's one of dirk's biggest problems out there and that is being more physical.

On the physical foul front last night it was at least lakers 2, mavs 1. I actually am not sure it's that close as I saw some others that weren't flagrant but hard. Only grifffin gave a hard foul to the rapist last night.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-08-2006 at 02:12 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote