Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs' Griffin may be odd man out

Mavs' Griffin may be odd man out

Guard's return from injury no guarantee he'll be a starter again

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

LOS ANGELES – The Mavericks played some of their best basketball of the season when Adrian Griffin was a starter.

That doesn't mean his job is waiting for him now that he's back.

Jerry Stackhouse was expected to start his ninth consecutive game Monday night against the Los Angeles Clippers. Stackhouse stepped into the starting lineup two weeks after Griffin went down with a strained right hamstring and appears to hold the spot heading into the playoffs.

"I think we're just going to see how it goes," coach Avery Johnson said before Monday's game. "It all depends who we play and what situation we're in.

"Right now, what we have going is working out pretty good for us, especially when we have a healthy Josh Howard. We'll continue to see where we go, whether Grif [Griffin] is the guy or Devin [Harris] is the guy or Stack.

"He's been playing pretty good."

Griffin wasn't on the team at the start of the season. He was signed Nov. 28 to add depth and to give Johnson a defensive option, someone to turn to when opposing perimeter players got hot. A rash of injuries thrust him into the starting lineup, the team started to click, and Johnson didn't want to disrupt the chemistry.

But Griffin has been out for a month, and the chemistry has changed. One of Johnson's strengths in his first full season as coach has been adapting to the circumstances of the moment.

"We kind of evolved into this," Johnson said of the starting five that took the floor Monday. "We didn't plan on DeSagana Diop starting for us this year. We didn't plan on Grif starting for us this year. We didn't plan on Devin starting a few games for us."

And Griffin can't plan on starting again this season. He might, but there is no assurance he will.

"I've been through this before," Griffin said. "They were winning before I got here, and they're going to keep winning. We have a great system.

"Our main focus is just to get ready for the playoffs. You never know what is going to happen. Everyone just has to stay ready."

Easing back in: Griffin was in uniform for Monday's game. Johnson said he hoped to use Griffin a few minutes against the Clippers and build from there.

"I'm just glad to be back on the court," said Griffin, who hasn't played since March 11. "It's been a month. It seems like three months.

"I know he [Johnson] probably won't try to push it tonight. We don't want to jeopardize it. He will just gradually work me back in."

First-round preference: Most coaches won't declare what team they want to face in the first round.

Phil Jackson isn't like most coaches. The Los Angeles Lakers coach told reporters Sunday that even though the Mavericks may be the best team in the Western Conference, he would rather face them because his team has played well against Dallas.

The Lakers took the season series against the Mavericks, 2-1. The Lakers went 1-3 against San Antonio and are 0-3 against Phoenix with one game remaining.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Griffin returns after 15 games

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- After a month on the shelf, Adrian Griffin took his first steps back. Baby steps, sure, but welcome steps, nonetheless.

Griffin dressed out for the first time since March 11 when the Mavericks faced the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday night. The veteran swingman began the game on the bench at Staples Center and checked in nine minutes into the first quarter.

Griffin missed 15 games with a strained right hamstring after starting the previous 30.

"It's been a month," said Griffin, who played only two minutes. "It seems like three months."

Getting him into the starting lineup for any of the last four games of the regular season isn't the focus. Griffin isn't looking to rush the issue. He just wants to make sure the hamstring holds up as he gets back into playing shape.

"They'll probably just gradually work me back in to more minutes here and there," Griffin said.

Griffin developed into a vital cog, averaging 4.5 points and 4.7 rebounds in 47 games before getting hurt. His rugged defense on the perimeter, heady play, ability to knock down an open jumper and get into the lane endeared him to coach Avery Johnson.

Johnson didn't count out the possibility of Griffin starting again, but added it's not a priority.

"It all depends on who we play [and] what situation we're in," Johnson said. "Right now what we have going for us is working out pretty good."

The Mavs have started Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki and DeSagana Diop the past six games. The team's most common starting five this season -- a group that is 18-2 -- includes Griffin with Stackhouse coming off the bench.

That lineup isn't one the coaching staff could have considered in training camp. Griffin, for one, didn't sign until nearly a month into the season after the failed Doug Christie experiment. Diop took over for incumbent Erick Dampier 36 games into the season.

"We kind of evolved into this," Johnson said. "We didn't anticipate DeSagana Diop starting for us this year. We didn't plan on Griff starting for us. We didn't plan on Devin [Harris] starting a few games for us.

"We [have] kind of been forced into that. As an evaluator, I have to evaluate what's best and what I think gives us our best chance."

Hiding stuff

The Mavs aren't looking to change their sets or hide any plays just because they play the Clippers, a potential first-round playoff opponent, twice in the last five games.

With scouting as sophisticated and detailed as it is, there are no surprises.

"That stuff is so overrated," Avery Johnson said. "Some teams you play against, they run the same play 100 times. We ran one play against San Antonio the other night, we ran it 18 times. That's the most I've ever run one play."

Eighteen? Must have been a successful play?

"Whether it was successful or not, I don't think I've ever run a play 18 times in three games," Johnson admitted. "That was a big hurdle for us. My coaches [have] been trying to do that for a year now."

Briefly

Devin Harris (quadriceps) is scheduled to join the team for today's practice in Oakland and could play Thursday at Phoenix.

A timetable hasn't been set for Keith Van Horn's rehab. Van Horn had surgery on his broken right hand on April 4.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I think we're just going to see how it goes," coach Avery Johnson said before Monday's game. "It all depends who we play and what situation we're in."
Shades of Nellie!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

To the bench with crackhouse
Old 04-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

once Quise got back, why was Stack still starting. Stack is better off the bench.
Griff or Quise should start.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

After the great game he had against the Clips, I vote for Quise in the starting lineup.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz
After the great game he had against the Clips, I vote for Quise in the starting lineup.
regardless of last night's game...Quisy should start....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see Griff against the Clippers.... Against SA, well..that's TBD.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

Stack gives us two things that daniels doesn't, expierence, leadership. But right now, stack's bad out weighs his good. I like daniels starting all the way through the playoffs and griffin getting more playin time then stack off the bench.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfan + Ravenfan
Stack gives us two things that daniels doesn't, expierence, leadership. But right now, stack's bad out weighs his good. I like daniels starting all the way through the playoffs and griffin getting more playin time then stack off the bench.
I honestly think that Griffin's time in the playoffs will be capped at about 15 mpg unless there is a specific defensive assignment. Though Stack's play of late has been thoroughly unimpressive of late, I doubt that AJ will play Griff more than Stack.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see Griff playing 25 MPG..but, he still might start esp. against the clippers.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Griff could be a big help against elite guards. However, Daniels and Stackhouse are more versatile two way players. I hope Devin is a hundred percent when he returns against Phoenix.

Devin is the best pennetrator on the team. He has learned to go to the rim with authority. Jet has been good since the all-star break averaging 19.2 points per game. Griffin probably gets big minutes on Jrich and company.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

stack = turnovers.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

JayC, stack isn't a two way player. About half the time, he's a no way player. The same can be said about Daniels.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #15
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Daniels>Stackhouse>Griffin. Daniels should be starting and Stackhouse should come off the bench. Griffin has pretty much no offense except for a mid range shot if left open enough. If teams are smart they don't leave him wide open but enough to get back on him before he shoots. He has limited range.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:06 AM   #16
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Griff is great for what he does. Griff => defense and dirty work so he WILL get minutes, particularly if we are matched up against a individually awesome offensive swingman.

As a starter, in crunch time and vs great teams though? Don't know. When teams key in on Dirk, we need to have guys who can make them pay so that: A) the offense functions outside Dirk in the meantime and B) as the opposing D realizes it can not overcompensate Dirk, eventually Dirk can go to get his diggle on.

Overall, I think Griff's minutes will be very inconsistent. One game a lot, one game a little or one series a lot, one series a little however his average MPG to be around both Stackhouse's and Daniels'. I can see Griffin starting a few contests but I'd be mildly surprised. I'd be shocked if he started game in-game out in the playoffs.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #17
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

This team was so good when Griffin was starting that that's what I would like to see again if possible.

He's not as good as Marquis or Stack, but he just really works on this team.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #18
island_dude

island_dude will become famous soon enough

It seems as though Stack has been the whipping boy of late, but would anyone be shocked if he made noise if Avery chooses to imput Griff back into the stating lineup? I know he's been alright with the 6 man role before, but now that he has a taste of being a starter again I seriously doubt he'll relinquish that role without some resistance.