Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
dongtouch

dongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the rough
Default Don Nelson to be GS's next head coach?

Could this be true?
I am speechless.
dongtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
frost5

frost5 is on a distinguished road

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2565022

Don Nelson will be named as the new coach of the Golden State Warriors this week after the Warriors agreed to terms on a buyout with Mike Montgomery.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that things are "all lined up" for Nelson, 66, to return to the Warriors, who haven't been to the playoffs since 1994 when Nelson was still their coach.

Montgomery had two seasons left on his contract worth an estimated $5 million.

Before joining Golden State, Montgomery, 59, spent 18 years at Stanford, where he led the Cardinal to 16 postseason appearances and a trip to the '98 Final Four.

"I'm very appreciative of the opportunity that I was presented two years ago," Montgomery said in a statement released by the team. "This was a new challenge that I was eager to embrace and glad that I had the chance to pursue and experience. I'd like to thank the Warriors' organization for their support, professionalism and class, and I'd also like to thank the fans of the Bay Area. This is a tremendous region for basketball and the support that they have provided me over the years has been simply outstanding."

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Last edited by frost5; 08-29-2006 at 11:12 AM.
frost5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

uhhh.....wow

Ill miss seeing him at games.

and Im not worried about them beating the Mavs, because I know he'll only help them become "almost good enough"

Congrats Nellie! :-)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-29-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

GSW already does a pretty good job of beating the Mavs.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
GSW already does a pretty good job of beating the Mavs.

Last season, yeah you're right about that.

I guess I meant in a playoff series down the road
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Thread should be moved to the 'Around the NBA' section.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Don Nelson is set to ressurect another hapless franchise.

In two years, the Warriors will have a better record than the Mavs. Book it.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm very appreciative of the opportunity that I was presented two years ago," Montgomery said in a statement released by the team. "This was a new challenge that I was eager to embrace and glad that I had the chance to pursue and experience. I'd like to thank the Warriors' organization for their support, professionalism and class, and I'd also like to thank the fans of the Bay Area. This is a tremendous region for basketball and the support that they have provided me over the years has been simply outstanding."

Must have been a pretty generous buyout.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Sweet. I like Nellie and I'm happy to see him out there.

But we better get those extensions signed.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
Sweet. I like Nellie and I'm happy to see him out there.

But we better get those extensions signed.
lol good point.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape

WITNESS~~!!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Interesting number of foreign players, including one "the next Dirk", goes by the name Darko. Hmm. . .Dirk, Dark. Ok, that the end of the comparison.

They also drafted a 7-2 player from somewhere. Should be a fun team for Nellie to coach.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

You mean Zarko as in Zarko Cabarkapa
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
jacktruth
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
You mean Zarko as in Zarko Cabarkapa
Zarko, Darko, Zirco, Dirk-oh. Oh!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What a nice attitude. Will your allegiance follow The Don?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ what! Ape is still a mavs fan???

I can see Nellie now...."How can I package Davis and Richardson for Nash?"....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #17
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

And we now have a 6th-8th seed team set.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's been nice chatting with you guys the last few years. Now I'm off to find a Warriors message board, Mighty Toine style. See ya, I'm out!

Just kidding. But I'll certainly be following the greatness of the Don next season. One thing is for sure: he's got lots of bullets to fire from there.

And now we will wait with bated breath while he rounds out his coaching staff. God help us if Del Harris follows him to the bay. Or worse yet, Donnie.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
D-Ball

D-Ball will become famous soon enough

What a great move.

Mike Dunleavy, Jason Richardson, Baron Davis, Troy Murphy, Adonal Foyle, Mickael Pietrus, Monta Ellis -- they all can play in Nellie's system. Beautiful move. Mullin lures Nellie back to GS. Perfect.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

"God help us if Del Harris follows him to the bay. Or worse yet, Donnie."

This has been by biggest fear with regards to Nellie getting another coaching job. Losing Donnie would be huge.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'm really suprised that Nellie would go back to work for Chris Cohan. Back in the 90's Cohan fired then sued him.

Either he really wants to get back into coaching or he really wants a steady stream of imcome (outside of his real estate ventures). If I were in the Bay area, I'd fear that it's the latter. I hope that's not the case because he's going to need all of his energy to reign in Baron Davis.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #22
D-Ball

D-Ball will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000

This has been by biggest fear with regards to Nellie getting another coaching job. Losing Donnie would be huge.
Del Harris may follow, but I do not think Donnie Nelson is going anywhere. When he left the coaching staff to go upstairs, I think that ended his professional relationship with his father.

Someone who may find his way to Golden State is Kiki Vandeweghe.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #23
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Good for him *thumbs up*
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #24
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yeah, with which they will do nothing in the playoffs. Well, maybe they'll get to the conf. finals and lose. Nelson knows how to do that pretty well.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie in Golden State is very interesting indeed.

And for the record, I have noted Ape's comments and will be happy to mock him or applaud his prescience, whichever the case may be, when two years have passed.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

Damn, he has aged in the last eleven years.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The West just got a little tougher. Good for him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
Yeah, with which they will do nothing in the playoffs. Well, maybe they'll get to the conf. finals and lose. Nelson knows how to do that pretty well.
I think a lot of you underestimate how darned hard it is to get to the playoffs, much less win it all.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #30
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

*facepalm* Well at this point, how can do anything but laugh & wish him good luck?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #31
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Umm that actually scares me a lil. They beat us a few times last year and even before we struggled against them. But they got a lot of talent there and with a good coach like Nellie I see them making the playoffs .....and being a tough team to beat

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

Now that I have thought about it for a minute, I am more disturbed by the username dongtouch than Nellie going to GS.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #33
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Good for him an the warriors. That should be a great system for everyone involved.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Will this be the same as the mavs finishing tenth in the west last year? This is a great fit though. What this does is eff up fantasy drafts. Davis and richardson are both HUGE fantasy players now. Who i think this helps the most is Dunleavy. I expect big things from him with nelly as the coach. I wish nelly the best except when plays the mavs.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #35
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Well maybe during next season when someone asks him who's the favorite to win it all, for the 1st time he might actually say the Mavs.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #36
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Now that I have thought about it for a minute, I am more disturbed by the username dongtouch than Nellie going to GS.
LOL... I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #37
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Will this be the same as the mavs finishing tenth in the west last year? This is a great fit though. What this does is eff up fantasy drafts. Davis and richardson are both HUGE fantasy players now. Who i think this helps the most is Dunleavy. I expect big things from him with nelly as the coach. I wish nelly the best except when plays the mavs.
I don't know how much this changes their fantasy value. GS was already 4th in the league in offensive posssessions last year so they've been getting up and down the court. Plus, I don't care what system he's in, Barron Davis is too injury prone to be a high fantasy pick.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:15 PM   #38
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think donnie is staying with us.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know how much this changes their fantasy value. GS was already 4th in the league in offensive posssessions last year so they've been getting up and down the court. Plus, I don't care what system he's in, Barron Davis is too injury prone to be a high fantasy pick.
I think the biggest misconception about nellie is that he just tells everyone to run do nothing else. He actually does have a system even if it seems a bit out of whack. I expect big things from all of them.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #40
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'm not doubting that he has a system. I just don't know if that system will increase Jason Richardson's value much. He's already putting up good numbers. And like I said, Davis is too frail for my taste...can't depend on him.