Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Truth be told, Wade's words a favor

Truth be told, Wade's words a favor

By Randy Galloway
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Here at the break for the NBA All-Star festivities, with the seasonal success of the Mavericks so immense, there are a couple of names that need to be added to the local praise list.

Start with Mark Cuban, but for something other than his hip pocket.

And then include Dwyane Wade, but for something other than last June's torment of the Mavs, which certainly has been a factor in this season's amazing binge of W's.

By the way, let me welcome Wade into The Club.

Mr. Miami has now joined a select group when he was severely blogged recently by the feisty fingers of Cuban.

Wade, you will remember, took some verbal shots at Dirk Nowitzki, and Cuban felt it was his duty to come to Dirk's defense.

The only problem was this:

Wade told the truth, even if his comments were cheesy and cheap, not to mention unnecessary for a player of his caliber.

But on a personal note, I got a Cuban blogging last May, for one of many sit-down-and-shut-up columns, this one during the Spurs series.

It's a badge of honor. When more sit-down-and-shut-up columns followed, Mark e-mailed to say he wouldn't be blogging me again, because he had already given me too much notoriety.

That was then, however. And now...

Wade may have done Dirk a favor, and Cuban, whether he wants to hear it or not (he doesn't), is at least attempting to do his team a service.

It will be late April, and then into May, and hopefully, the month of June, before we know how any of this plays out.

But Wade put the stinger in Dirk by saying he failed as a "leader" in The Finals last June. Wade, of course, personally led his team to a championship, bells and whistles blowing, particularly whistles, if you know what I mean.

Dirk didn't. He'd had a great playoff run, then slumped in those six games against the Heat (shooting 39 percent for the series).

The media have, and will again, point this out. But for motivational purposes, one star player saying it about another, Wade's words figure to burn deep into Dirk's psyche once the playoffs start.

As Avery Johnson remembered, he carried forever the public opinion of Damon Stoudamire, an opponent who once noted the Spurs would never win a championship with a certain guy at point guard.

That guy was Avery, who proved Stoudamire wrong, and to this day, doesn't seem all that upset that Stoudamire verbally trashed him. The Little General used those words to his advantage.

Will Dirk? Admittedly, Nowitzki is wired a bit different from most, and certainly different from Avery, but I'd bet the Wade words do stick, and will be a motivational factor.

Then there's one other thing about last June. The Finals had two stories, both of them negative for the Mavericks. One, of course, was Wade. The other was the antics of Cuban, with all his David Stern and referee baiting.

Let's just say much glee was recorded nationally once the Mavs did their historic collapse. Cuban was ridiculed coast-to-coast, but even worse was the grassy knoll theory that the "league" didn't want him winning a championship.

OK, I believe it. Or at least believe Mark did his team no favors with the refs or with NBA honchos.

Last week, Cuban answered by saying only "the clueless" would dare tell him it was time to sit down and shut up.

That means "the clueless" includes everyone in the Mavs' organization, whether they told him privately, feared for their jobs if they told him at all or, in the case of Dirk, said it publicly.

Cuban doesn't want to hear it, and will rail against those who say it, but he got the message. This season has given us a different Mark.

(Actually, I wasn't even going to bring this up, invoking the sleeping dog theory, but Cuban denied all in a published story last week. What, did you think he was going to admit it?)

But I do love the way Mark has counterpunched. Instead of the usual outright bashing of the commissioner, he switched to the "David Stern University" diversion. And that stuff has been funny.

In addition, his rants against the officiating have been greatly reduced, at least compared with past seasons.

Out of 53 games, I figure I've seen 35 or so on TV. But be it a local or national telecast, Cuban has not been a prominent target for the cameras. It's almost like he disappeared, TV-wise, and that doesn't happen without Mark intentionally toning down his antics.

Again, while he's not admitting it, what Cuban is doing is at least giving us all the chance to test the sit-down-and-shut-up theory once the playoffs start.

Well done, Mr. Cuban (now that comment will seriously hack him off), and also let us commend Dwyane Wade, who may also have helped the Mavs' cause.

Here at the All-Star break, with the Mavericks having enjoyed immense success, it's never too early to look ahead, and begin plotting possible positive trends for when the "real season" begins.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

what the effing hell is this country f***er going on about?

all I heard was "i like men and dwyane wade is one of them... if not the only one."
Old 02-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

that article made about as much sense as my dog's dew claws
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
Let's just say much glee was recorded nationally once the Mavs did their historic collapse. Cuban was ridiculed coast-to-coast, but even worse was the grassy knoll theory that the "league" didn't want him winning a championship.
Wait. So Randy doesn't think JFK was shot from the grassy knoll?
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Galloway is an idiot and Dirk doesn't need comments from D-Flop to be motivated.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Wow this article really pissed me off. This Galloway guy sucks.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 02-18-2007 at 02:55 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

in defense of galloway, he has NOT been the same since the mavs collapsed in the finals. he doesnt talk about them as much, he doesnt write about them as much...
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
in defense of galloway, he has NOT been the same since the mavs collapsed in the finals. he doesnt talk about them as much, he doesnt write about them as much...
meaning what?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

In defense of Galloway, it's not like he just started writing bad articles. This is nothing new. It's nothing to get excited about. He's been a worthless piece of crap when it comes to writing for the past decade.
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
In defense of Galloway, it's not like he just started writing bad articles. This is nothing new. It's nothing to get excited about. He's been a worthless piece of crap when it comes to writing for the past decade.
This is a defense of Galloway? hehe
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

writing..yes. but i do like to listen to GAC a lot. what i meant is that he's been really down on the mavs since they lost the finals.
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
meaning what?
Meaning he's a band wagoning douche.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

This seems to be one of the most "talking-out-both-sides-of-your-mouth" articles I have EVER read... It made no sense and I am now sorry that I missed a Vince Carter dunk because I was reading it...
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #14
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I stopped reading and listening to R-Gal long time ago. I get more pleasure getting tortured medieval style than listening to him and Dale Hansen.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #15
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

I thought this was interesting.

As the players came out to center court for the opening tip, the only two who did not acknowledge each other were Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki, whose exchange of verbal jabs over who won and who lost last year's finals seems to have spawned a genuine mutual dislike.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allsta...ory?id=2770799
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #16
WraithXx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Diavlo

As the players came out to center court for the opening tip, the only two who did not acknowledge each other were Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki, whose exchange of verbal jabs over who won and who lost last year's finals seems to have spawned a genuine mutual dislike.

Ah, I freaking love it. We are going to murder those people (Heat) in a few days.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #17
you

you is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the rough

Despite trying his darndest to take over the game, Wade ended up playing terribly.

I smiled when Garnett launched his layup into the seats.
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 AM   #18
you

you is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Diavlo
Dirk Nowitzki has no fear of Wade.

The only thing that the Mavs have to fear this year will be wearing black and white stripes.
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:53 AM   #19
RizAmlani

RizAmlani is on a distinguished road

Never been a big fan of Mr. Galloway. This just adds to that.

Interviewer: Was it a little ridiculous how Dwyane Wade got all the calls?

TMac: Yeah, yeah it really was. I'll tell you man, it seems if you were watching that game, seemed like it was rigged. Seriously. I know the NBA.... (cut off by interviewer)
RizAmlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Despite trying his darndest to take over the game, Wade ended up playing terribly.

I smiled when Garnett launched his layup into the seats.
You, me, and my brother (who happens to be a die hard KG fan) alike!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 02-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote