Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Hall of Famer Wilkins praises Mavs

Hall of Famer Wilkins praises Mavs

10:37 PM CST on Thursday, March 8, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

Dominique Wilkins spent an NBA career dazzling fans as the Human Highlight Reel.

Now he's trying to slam dunk a different opponent, one that he has a personal stake in defeating – high blood pressure.

Wilkins came through Dallas on Thursday to throw down some enlightening thoughts on the Mavericks, as well as to promote awareness of hypertension, a disease that his mother and brother, Gerald, both battle.

"My mother struggled with it for a long time and had a stroke from complications of it," said Wilkins, who retired in 1999 and was voted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006. "If you see someone in your family have a stroke because of high blood pressure, it changes your whole way of thinking.

"I don't have it right now. But it is hereditary."

Wilkins, 47, still stays involved with the NBA. He's a vice president with the Atlanta Hawks, the team for whom he played most of his 15-year career. And he's particularly impressed with the Mavericks' approach to this season.

It's not the massive record (51-9) that he likes, though. It's their toughness and their frame of mind.

"They're for real," Wilkins said. "And they've been there, so now they know what they have to do to get over the top. They gave it away last year. They handed it to Miami. And they know it.

"They had them down. And the thing is, when you get a team down, that's when you have to put your foot on their neck, because you can't go into the game feeling your way through. You got to pound them from that first minute, put some fear into them that, hey, this is over.

"They let Miami smell a little victory and that's all it took."

Asked whether the temptations of a week in South Beach could have done in the Mavericks, Wilkins added: "The temptations down there are very real – the nightlife, the weather, the beach, everything. But that said, they were up 2-0."

Wilkins is on a 15-city tour to champion the cause against high blood pressure, which afflicts nearly one in three adults in the U.S.

He, Darryl Dawkins and Spencer Haywood are spokesmen for Shooting For Healthy BP (www.shootingforhealthybp.com).

"I think it's a huge success, especially having guys like us out here," Wilkins said. "It's all about increasing awareness, and people can see we have the same problems as everybody else. When this disease comes at you, it doesn't say, 'I'll skip him because he was an All-Star basketball player.'

"High blood pressure is the silent killer. You'd rather be on medication for the rest of your life and be able live a long life. It beats the alternative."

Stack factor: The Mavericks had a robust practice Thursday in advance of a day off today.

"The gym is closed," Avery Johnson said.

It was a beehive of activity on Thursday, however, and Johnson lauded Jerry Stackhouse for his work.

"We had a conditioning drill and he was first," Johnson said. "Stack's in his contract year, but he started this last season. We think he's a big factor in what we do because of his willingness to pass more this year."

Johnson said the Mavericks treated Thursday like a game day.

"Today was our day to really go after it hard because if you lay around for four days and listen to how good you are, you can get a little lethargic," Johnson said.

The Mavericks have their annual Tux & Tennies gala tonight, which is sold out, and will travel to Los Angeles on Saturday for Sunday's game against the Lakers.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Today was our day to really go after it hard because if you lay around for four days and listen to how good you are, you can get a little lethargic," Johnson said.
Avery is cool.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
"They're for real," Wilkins said. "And they've been there, so now they know what they have to do to get over the top. They gave it away last year. They handed it to Miami. And they know it.
lol how long till Wade calls out an NBA legend?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
"Dominique was not a good leader. He was the reason why the Hawks never won a title." - Wade on Day 1

"I don't want to go back and forth with Dominique on this. But he started this. He said many times that Dallas gave away the Championship. That hurt me and I had to get back at him to support my team." - Wade on Day 2
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ouchy
Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Haha someone else who said we gave it away instead of lost it....figures. Remember we're all "delusional" for thinking that, so I guess Wilkins is delusional too.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
ouchy
doesn't hurt. dirk himself said it. they know it..it's what makes them hungry.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Did Dominique do this on purpose? If ESPN picks up this report.....
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

the Kings announcers last night (I listen on Sirius) referred to the Spurs as "Defending Champs" on many occasions.....talk about dissin' the Heat...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Maybe they were referring to the defending champs of the southwest division.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
Hall of Famer Wilkins praises Mavs

It's not the massive record (51-9) that he likes, though. It's their toughness and their frame of mind.

"They're for real," Wilkins said. "And they've been there, so now they know what they have to do to get over the top.
This sums up why the Mavs have 51 Wins.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
you

you is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the rough

Almost every ex-player I have seen interviewed is taken aback by the Mavs in a "wow" type of way. In a way that says "I wish I could have been a part of something like that...something like Michael experienced".

Barkley specifically tries to change the subject to the Mavs on TNT. He doesnt let those guys bag on them. He always says that "they're on a mission", meaning that they are having a rare season and should win it all.

I listened to Patrick Ewing talk about the Mavs on NBA TV. He gushed about them in a way that put them on Mike's Bulls' level.

Add Dominique to the group.

Last edited by you; 03-09-2007 at 04:58 PM.
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

We are all witnesses.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #14
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Almost every ex-player I have seen interviewed is taken aback by the Mavs in a "wow" type of way. In a way that says "I wish I could have been a part of something like that...something like Michael experienced".

Barkley specifically tries to change the subject to the Mavs on TNT. He doesnt let those guys bag on them. He always says that "they're on a mission", meaning that they are having a rare season and should win it all.

I listened to Patrick Ewing talk about the Mavs on NBA TV. He gushed about them in a way that put them on Mike's Bulls' level.

Add Dominique to the group.
interesting...

we forget sometimes that this is only Avery's second full season as head coach, that Dirk and JET are playing only their third season together, and that J-HO is only in his second season as a starter. iow, we can very reasonably expect avery and josh to be better, and for Dirk and JET's teamwork to be better.

...and think about this...play off experience prior to last year's run --

Avery, 2 series (1-1)
JET, 2 series (1-1)
Damp, 2 series (1-1)
Gana, 0 series
Howard, 3 series (1-2)

that's some really significant components from last year's run that had very little real post season experience going in....every one of these guys now literally has at least twice as much playoff experience. how valuable is that going to be?

i guess my point is that there is a strong tendency to judge this team largely by what they did last year, but this ain't last year's team....this is last year's team plus a year of battle hardening and cohesiveness....
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
We are all witnesses.
Hell yeah we are, and I'll never forget it. I love you all. (cue cheesy 80s love song from Officer and A Gentleman)

I do kinda miss 50 dollars to sit anywhere in Reunion though. And thats it .

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

This team aint at the Bulls level. We have a nice regular season record but we are also enjoying the 4th easiest schedule in the league according to Sagarin. We also havent had any injuries of mention.

But yeah this team hasnt been together for terribly long like alex said. We think because Dirk had been to the playoffs millions of times the team was tempered. Most of the team hasnt played very many playoff series especially together.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Has this team had enough "tough" tests this season?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #18
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
"Dominique was not a good leader. He was the reason why the Hawks never won a title." - Wade on Day 1

"I don't want to go back and forth with Dominique on this. But he started this. He said many times that Dallas gave away the Championship. That hurt me and I had to get back at him to support my team." - Wade on Day 2
Ha ha, classic!
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #19
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Has this team had enough "tough" tests this season?
shaking off the 0-4 start....

coming back from 11 down at half in SA on the 2nd night of the back-back....

maintaining focus through regular season games against Nets, Magic, etc....

....also, maybe they've had a lot of tough tests, but after the fact the tests didn't look tough at all because the mavs kicked the shit out of the test.

Last edited by alexamenos; 03-09-2007 at 05:50 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
shaking off the 0-4 start....

coming back from 11 down at half in SA on the 2nd night of the back-back....

maintaining focus through regular season games against Nets, Magic, etc....
Yeah I guess.....

I think the real testing comes with these next 3 in 4 nights against tough Western foes, and then a 6 game road trip through the east. I'll be interested to see how focused they can stay through that.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess.....

I think the real testing comes with these next 3 in 4 nights against tough Western foes, and then a 6 game road trip through the east. I'll be interested to see how focused they can stay through that.
i feel like i've been waiting all for this team to go on a 5-5 or 6-4 stretch, and it just hasn't happened. so maybe the go 6-4 over the next ten...hmmm....i guess that we must be awfully spoiled if we're worried about a *bad* stretch where the mavs go 6-4.

...if i'm avery, i'm talking about that six game rd swing as our own little rodeo road-trip...a chance to really hit that playoff gear or something like that....maybe we shouldn't be completely surprised if the mavs do pretty well out east.

Last edited by alexamenos; 03-09-2007 at 06:02 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Pistons, Knicks, Cavs, Celts, Hawks, Hornets.

It's not as bad as some make it out to be. The Pistons and Cavs games are the ones to watch out for, but there are games in there that should be easy to pick up as well.

And as for this "easy schedule" crap, that's only because they faced the tough teams early in the season. Plus, they're the only team that doesn't have to face the Mavericks, so the lack of 51-9 opponents is going to skew the equation too.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #23
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I applaude this article. Props to kriD.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #24
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I recall many here complaining Wade was raggin over something Dirk said months ago. I think what sticks in Wade's craw is the fact that EVERYBODY says the Mavs gave it away, or the refs stole it from them because ITS THE FRIGGIN' TRUTH! He knows in his heart he doesn't deserve the ring. He knows he wasn't fouled most of those times. So he lashes out at Dirk. The dumb ass-ed national media rarely mentioned Dirk said that back in the summer, along with some really nice things about Wade. Its just the rest of the NBA isn't so kind. Its full of guys like TMaq saying out loud that they don't get the breaks the refs give Wade. Somebody on here has that great sig with 3 or 4 quotes to that effect.

DWhine needs to shut up. Or better yet, get healthy and give the Mavs a chance to shut him up. Punk.

Last edited by G-Man; 03-10-2007 at 01:49 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote