Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-28-2002, 10:28 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the story

Van Exel the spark that burns the Wolves
Dan Barreiro
Star Tribune
Published Apr 28, 2002

Don Nelson insists there is no truth to the notion that in order to acquire center Raef LaFrentz from the Nuggets, the Mavericks only grudgingly agreed to also take on guard Nick Van Exel as part of the package deal.

Anyone who has watched the Mavericks jump to a 2-0 series lead on the Timberwolves certainly would have no trouble taking the Dallas coach at his word.

• Assists: Van Exel 12, Wolves bench 2.

• Loosey-Goosey Index (out of a possible 100): Van Exel 97, Wolves roster 11.

What is the Loosey-Goosey Index?

Unofficially, it measures a player's ability not to tense up as the game gets longer and the stakes get higher. It is the player's ability to miss seven consecutive shots, yet continue to operate with a certain fearlessness, a free-wheeling, I'll-still-take-the-big-shot abandon.

In that sense, Van Exel's gaudy Loosey-Goosey Index number almost seems wasted on the Mavericks, already loose and free-wheeling enough (sometimes too much so).

But how about on the Wolves, fast becoming an exercise in constipation come playoff time? How about on the team that, according to its coach, relies on Anthony Peeler to take big fourth-quarter shots because so many of his teammates appear too tense to do so when things get out of whack?

Well, Van Exel would be like a nice, tall glass of Milk of Magnesia.

When the horn sounds for Game 3 at Target Center today, it will be difficult to blame Wolves fans for closing their eyes and imagining Van Exel being introduced as a Minnesota starter.

Play out the fantasy a little further.

If Van Exel is starting for the Wolves, the upgrade at three positions is enormous. At point guard, the Wolves get a legitimate starter. As backup point guard, Chauncey Billups then strengthens the bench, rendering less significant Kevin McHale's horrible draft day gaffe of selecting Will Avery No. 1 three years ago.

That, in turn, gives Flip Saunders, who suddenly can't decide whether Peeler is a Sixth Man of the Year candidate or a CBA-caliber player, another viable option at backup shooting guard.

Van Exel, despite his slight 6-1 height, also makes the Wolves better at forward. How? Simply by taking some of the heat, and much of the burden, off Kevin Garnett's shoulders.

Let's not stop there.

If Van Exel is starting for the Wolves, then he's not coming off the bench for the Mavericks, and the ancient, oft-injured Tim Hardaway is forced to do so. If Van Exel is starting for the Wolves, then LaFrentz (24 points, 16 rebounds and a series-leading six blocked shots) is probably not starting for the Mavericks.

No wonder Saunders sounded a little wistful when he referred to Van Exel as the X-factor in Game 1. How about in the series? "He gives them a great lift off the bench, can handle the ball, and also isn't afraid to take the big shot," he said. "He'll take that shot in the fourth quarter. That's one of the reasons, as far as us being interested in him [before the trading deadline]."

Of course, the Mavericks swooped in, continuing a long-standing tradition of Dallas sports teams (and owners) torturing Minnesota franchises.

Saunders no doubt knows that Van Exel can be as exasperating as inspiring. Evidence was there for all to see in Game 1. Late in the first quarter, Van Exel needlessly put up a shot with too much time on the shot clock, giving the Wolves an extra attempt. With 1:03 to play in the game and the Mavericks leading by seven, Van Exel needlessly fouled Billups, putting the Wolves on the free-throw line and stopping the clock.

Dumb plays are dumb plays, yet for the Wolves, given the other positive things Van Exel would have supplied, the tradeoff would have been well worth whatever the risks.

Van Exel admitted again last week that, even after Terrell Brandon was hurt, and before the Mavericks moved in, the former Nuggets guard still happily believed he was headed for Minnesota.

Yes, the same Minnesota that Stephon Marbury thought was too cold, too remote, and too small (for himself and Garnett).

One point guard's nightmare was another's dream. Yes, Van Exel insists he even "dreamed about playing with those guys. I thought it would have been a lot of fun. But it didn't happen. I'm happy here [in Dallas] backing up [Steve] Nash, and I don't think much about [going to Minnesota] anymore, because it didn't happen. It didn't happen, and nobody can do anything about it now."

All the same, it'll be like a thumb in the eye every time Van Exel drains another three-pointer or crosses over to set up an open teammate.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2002, 10:35 AM   #2
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

If....

Which pretty much sums up this article.

If I looked like Brad Pitt I would be nailing Jennifer Annisten.

My gray haired Daddy use to tell me when I was a young 'un, "Son, there ain't no if."

He's right.

Old 04-28-2002, 02:03 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

great line two deep!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote