Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of
Default Bidding war between Spurs and Mavs for Finley?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...finley100.html
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Doesn't sound like we have much chance of signing him, and we really don't have room anyway. I expect he'll probably be back with the Spurs.

But I hope the negotiations help patch things up with Fin. For sentimental reasons, it would be nice if he could sign a ten-day contract with us before his retirement so as to finish his career as a Mav.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised he hasn't signed with a team yet. It's no secret the Spurs want him back and he has a role on that team. It might not be as big a role as he's had previously there but he fits in with what they want and need.

I have a hard time believing he'd return to the Mavs (or move his family to Boston or LA) but maybe he's giving it some serious consideration since he hasn't signed with SA.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Fin but I don't have much interest in him signing here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i don't want that rat ba$tard on my team.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

It sounds like the Spurs have an ofer on the table that Finley just hasn't responded to yet. Maybe he is looking to see what his market value is before he makes a committment.

Or maybe he is considering the Mav's offer, although less than SA's.

I guess we'll see...
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Big Shot Rob

Why is he a rat?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt he'll come back to Dallas, he's just hoping for a little bit better money from the Spurs. I don't think it's as much of what happened in the past for Dallas, it's just the make-up of his position. He's got a better chance of getting minutes in San Antonio vs Dallas. He'll just have to suck it up and take less money.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

That guy is an idiot don't listen to him lol. Mavs fans don't see Fin as a rat. I like Mike. He's still my favorite Mav of all time but he should stay away from this mess as far as possible. He's got a good thing going with the Spurs. They want him back so might as well sign with them. Or Boston if they're interested.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

Why dont we just trade Kidd for Nash and go back to 2002?

Really this team makes me more irritated the more the offseason rolls along.

d
Old 08-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

how is there a bidding war? Dallas offers $1,262,275 (AKA the veteran minimum) and Spurs offer "an offer worth more than the veteran minimum of $1.3 million ". As far as I can tell Dallas cant go any higher.

He may be weighing a third offer, but between the Spurts and the Mavs, there is only a pair of offers.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-09-2008 at 12:10 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I love Mike as a person, and he will always be a face of this franchise, but I don't think I'd want him back. He doesn't really have much game left.

Then again, for the vet min, we probably can't get anyone better.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

i'l love to get fin back if we could dump E. jones.

fin > E.jones
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't he want to win rings? Why would he come here =\

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Um, did you see him last playoffs? He had nothing except one big shot (in the first game). He doesn't have it anymore.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Shan Foster at this point would have been a better option than Michael Finley. Finley is as close to Eddie Jones as one can possibly get.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Um, did you see him last playoffs? He had nothing except one big shot (in the first game). He doesn't have it anymore.
He didn't have it his last season with the Mavs.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Who is better?

Antoine Wright

Gerald Green

Michael Finley

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
He's been hitting big shots for the Spurs in the 3 years he's been there. He's clutch. For the vet minimum i'm not sure what else guys would expect. Sure it would be great to get Josh Smith but you're not going to get Josh Smith for the minimum. I'd take Finley over Eddie Jones. Atleast I know Finley will be healthy.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Fin has hit a few big shots, but has had just as many (if not more) games where he's gone 1-7 or 1-8 and been a big factor in the Spurs losing.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
Fin has hit a few big shots, but has had just as many (if not more) games where he's gone 1-7 or 1-8 and been a big factor in the Spurs losing.
I don't know about that. He was probably their 4th option behind Ginobilli, Tony and Duncan and I have a hard time believing a 4th option can determine whether a team loses a game or not. And I guess stats would say otherwise but Fin was damn good in the 2nd half of the season. He was shooting around the 30's at the beginning of the season and as you can see he raised it up to 41% for the season. But I look at our current core of shooting guards and I don't like it. I don't see any shooters at all and while Fin is streaky when he's on its a beautiful thing to watch. Even at 35. I just don't feel this team is in any position to turn down players who want to play for this team since there aren't many out there apparently. But i'm not for signing Finley. I think he'd probably be our best option at the 2 guard if here but I don't think he fits this team personnel wise. I think he's more suitable for a team that has a big man who can dish out of the double team like he currently has in SA. Rockets and the Celtics would be a great fit. The Mavs? Not so much. Unless we've developed a big man within with a post game during this offseason but I doubt it. I think Fin would be a fool to leave the situation he has with the Spurs. Especially to come to this Mavs team. He'll still be able to get atleast 20 minutes of play a game if his game is on.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #22
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It really doesn't make sense unless they move Jones and/or Stackhouse. Of course both those guys will probably be injured for long stretches. If nothing else Fin has proven to be healthy in SA.

He'd provide leadership and be a presence for the young guys. He's only a spot up shooter now so you need to work around that.

Still, I don't see him working for Cuban again.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #23
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance on signing Moses Malone to back up Dirk?

So is Avery still demanding the Mavs sign washed-up vets to bring "veteran (geriatric) leadership" to all of those young studs we don't have on the roster?

Puke.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
It really doesn't make sense unless they move Jones and/or Stackhouse. Of course both those guys will probably be injured for long stretches. If nothing else Fin has proven to be healthy in SA.

He'd provide leadership and be a presence for the young guys. He's only a spot up shooter now so you need to work around that.

Still, I don't see him working for Cuban again.

I'm honestly pretty shocked that Eddie Jones and Stackhouse are still Mavs.

We have Kidd now and all Fin has to do it hit his shots.

Kidd will get the ball to him.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 08-09-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #25
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

They are still trading chips for us, so I guess they're hoping to use them for roles during the season and really try to get some use out of them in Feb. at the deadline. Now if they're counting on them as strong contributors for the regular season, that's probably not going to work out.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Findog, I still rememer when he was younger. What a beast, he used to always do that quick Pro hop move and just posterize the crap out of defenders. If Fin made up his mind that he was gunna dunk on you there was nothing that was stopping him. Even though he's older now I have always wished he could come back just so he can help mentor our young SG's like Antoine Wright and Gerald Green. And hes still a good shooter. Get rid of Eddie Jones and bring Findog back!

Just for old times sake...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

If not for anything else, Fin would be a morale booster.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #28
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one thing to keep in mind about Fin: he was the first to get crossways with Avery.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #29
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss
Here's one thing to keep in mind about Fin: he was the first to get crossways with Avery.
Thats probably why he has a ring now...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss
Indeed he was quite a visionary.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #31
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I don't know about that. He was probably their 4th option behind Ginobilli, Tony and Duncan and I have a hard time believing a 4th option can determine whether a team loses a game or not.
Paragraphs would be nice.

That said, trust me, I'm around a plethora of Spurs fans, and they know full well that Fin's crappy shooting cost them some games. The Spurs masses are with me on this one. A lot of them would not care to see him back. He played terribly in some of those games against the Hornets, and, as I recall, he wasn't much better against the Lakeshow.

Stackhouse gets insane amounts of flak for doing the exact same thing in games (1/8, 1/9, etc. etc.) -- and I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that his crappy shooting has cost us plenty.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 08-09-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #32
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the title to this thread and thought..... "Why?"
Old 08-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #33
duboh7

duboh7 has a spectacular aura aboutduboh7 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
It sounds like the Spurs have an ofer on the table that Finley just hasn't responded to yet. Maybe he is looking to see what his market value is before he makes a committment.

Or maybe he is considering the Mav's offer, although less than SA's.

I guess we'll see...

I think everyone is just reading TOO much into this !!

"The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, citing Finley’s agent as its source, has reported the Dallas Mavericks have contacted the 35-year-old guard about a possible return to the Metroplex."

First, consider the source.
Then, it's a Looooong way from a "contact" (inquiry?) to an "offer".
duboh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #34
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
If not for anything else, Fin would be a morale booster.
Like letting Dirk wear his Championship ring?
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #35
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
Paragraphs would be nice.

That said, trust me, I'm around a plethora of Spurs fans, and they know full well that Fin's crappy shooting cost them some games. The Spurs masses are with me on this one. A lot of them would not care to see him back. He played terribly in some of those games against the Hornets, and, as I recall, he wasn't much better against the Lakeshow.

Stackhouse gets insane amounts of flak for doing the exact same thing in games (1/8, 1/9, etc. etc.) -- and I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that his crappy shooting has cost us plenty.
I think last time I got into this debate about Finley and you backed up your claims by saying Spurs fans agree with you. Spurs fans also want Popovich fired and were pissed front office didn't trade Parker for Kidd. All i'm saying Spurs fans are hardly a reliable for source when it comes to basketball. And I disagree about Stackhouse. I hate his game and i'd release him if I were GM but I don't think he's cost us one game. You can work around guys going 1 for 8. If Dirk does it its a whole different story. But Stackhouse? Youc an work around that. And it matters when you miss those shots. Stackhouse has a tendency to only miss shots everytime this team gets any sort of momentum in games. The ultimate momentum killer. Fin didn't have a good post season. I'm not debating that. But he can hit big shots. I've seen them with my own two eyes and I don't need a Spurs fan to tell me that. If not relied upon he can be a good fit for a team. But if he comes here and is expected to be our #2 option than we're going to have a problem.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #36
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I think last time I got into this debate about Finley and you backed up your claims by saying Spurs fans agree with you. Spurs fans also want Popovich fired and were pissed front office didn't trade Parker for Kidd. All i'm saying Spurs fans are hardly a reliable for source when it comes to basketball. And I disagree about Stackhouse. I hate his game and i'd release him if I were GM but I don't think he's cost us one game. You can work around guys going 1 for 8. If Dirk does it its a whole different story. But Stackhouse? Youc an work around that. And it matters when you miss those shots. Stackhouse has a tendency to only miss shots everytime this team gets any sort of momentum in games. The ultimate momentum killer. Fin didn't have a good post season. I'm not debating that. But he can hit big shots. I've seen them with my own two eyes and I don't need a Spurs fan to tell me that. If not relied upon he can be a good fit for a team. But if he comes here and is expected to be our #2 option than we're going to have a problem.
You know who else can hit big shots? Stack. The guy hit the 2 biggest shots during OT of the biggest win in Mavs' franchise history. I also seem to recall him draining 3's like a madman and singlehandedly keeping us in the game that was the Game 6 Warriors debacle.

The reason I bring up the Spurs fans is because it's clear you don't watch enough Spurs games to see how far Finley has fallen. They, on the other hand, do. As do I, because I'm unfortunate enough to live in a city that only shows Spurs games all season.

If you'd release Stack, there is absolutely no reason why you should want Finley, unless it's just a personal thing.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #37
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

The bidding war? The secret "off the record" version looks something like this ...

Finley to the Spurs: I'm worth more than a one-year deal for the minimum. I'm a star. If you don't make me an offer I like, I'm going to offer my services to Dallas
Spurs: Okay, we'll think about it (yawn)

Finley to the Mavs: What do you want to offer me? I might come back and help you dominate the Spurs, if you give me an offer I like.
Mavs: That's nice, we'll let you know (yawn)

Finley to the press: It's an all-out bidding war!! The Spurs and Mavs are competing for my services!!
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
The bidding war? The secret "off the record" version looks something like this ...

Finley to the Spurs: I'm worth more than a one-year deal for the minimum. I'm a star. If you don't make me an offer I like, I'm going to offer my services to Dallas
Spurs: Okay, we'll think about it (yawn)

Finley to the Mavs: What do you want to offer me? I might come back and help you dominate the Spurs, if you give me an offer I like.
Mavs: That's nice, we'll let you know (yawn)

Finley to the press: It's an all-out bidding war!! The Spurs and Mavs are competing for my services!!

Mavs FO this summer (yawn)

Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
How's it going to be a bidding war when the Mavs can only offer the vet minimum and the Spurs have already offered more than that (which they can do because of their Bird rights)?

People should really read up on the CBA before they suggest these implausible scenarios.

Last edited by chumdawg; 08-10-2008 at 02:37 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #40
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Does Fin really miss Dallas? It's hard to believe he got released, went elsewhere and won a championship, yet he would still want to come back for LESS money than the championship team is offering. The only way is maybe he feels he owes the Mavs since we paid his salary while he went off and won a championship.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 08-10-2008 at 02:37 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote