Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Cuban Said About Avery...

Mark Cuban in the Post Welcome Carlisle interview with The Hardline when asked by Rhines...

Q: What do you say to the people who say you said you just hired Avery 2.0

A: They don't know him then...I didn't hear him (Rick) use the word "Me" the entire time....

This says so much about how Avery was viewed by Mark. Completely "Me" centered.

While I think Avery is probably a good man, husband, father, friend, etc....I do think he tended to point the arrow at himself...and that usually comes from insecurity/ego.

I can't believe Mark said this, but it reveals volumes.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I knew things went to smoothly when Avery was let go.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Once (if) Avery is hired, then Cuban will be absolved of his contract and then can fire back a little more. As for now, he has to be careful and just take what the cockroach has to say.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Once (if) Avery is hired, then Cuban will be absolved of his contract and then can fire back a little more. As for now, he has to be careful and just take what the cockroach has to say.
Exactly. Cuban helps him by pumping his resume and downplaying his flaws, while Avery is to get hired as hella fast as he can. I just feel sorry for any team that falls for it.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Exactly. Cuban helps him by pumping his resume and downplaying his flaws, while Avery is to get hired as hella fast as he can. I just feel sorry for any team that falls for it.
I don't think Avery finds a job this year. Give it some time and then GMs/owners will be lured by his on-paper list of accomplishments.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
He could be very successful building a young team that is ready to be molded to the image of its coach...but I think he will have a career of burning out teams after a few years...either that or he will mature/grow in regards to his coaching style...which do not believe is unreasonable to expect from such a young coach.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

why is every thread an avery bash? Wasn't Cuban in on whatever pact they had not to say bad things about each other?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your GM is Tim Legler, you're probably not gonna hire Avery as your head coach.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
why is every thread an avery bash? Wasn't Cuban in on whatever pact they had not to say bad things about each other?
this thread is not an "Avery bash"...this is just reporting something very worthwhile that was surprisingly said on air.

I am shocked that Cuban would respond so honestly if not brashly and unprofessionally.

But at least we know how he feels.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
this thread is not an "Avery bash"...this is just reporting something very worthwhile that was surprisingly said on air.

I am shocked that Cuban would respond so honestly if not brashly and unprofessionally.

By the 2nd reply, we were wading deep into the only thought we are able to cough up as a collection of Mavs fans. By the 8th, 50% of the posts were non-substantial Avery digs. Are we Mavtalk?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

It speaks volumes, and I love me some Cubes, but I wish he hadn't said that. I'd just as soon Cuban take the higher road and let Avery be his egotistical self on his own.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
By the 2nd reply, we were wading deep into the only thought we are able to cough up as a collection of Mavs fans. By the 8th, 50% of the posts were non-substantial Avery digs. Are we Mavtalk?
by the time of your post (#7) there was only one post that had anything negative to say about Avery. The one where he is called a "cockroach" is the only blatantly negative thing said about Avery...the ONLY thing that could be considered any kind of "bashing" as you claimed.

No reason to feel the need to continue arguing a false claim. This thread is not "Avery bashing".

it is Avery/Cuban-centric...

Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I wish he hadn't said that.
me too...but it IS very revealing none the less.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
I was neutral on Avery until I heard his post-coach comments.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

i thought he will say: AJ is a great coach or what ever~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

dammit horse.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi
dammit horse.
dammit ghazi.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #18
mavsgirl4134

mavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to beholdmavsgirl4134 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
i thought he will say: AJ is a great coach or what ever~
HAHA.. thanks for making me laugh. You da bomb!~~~~
mavsgirl4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike

cockroach; feel sorry for any team that falls for it; avery won't get hired (teams have to be lured); nobody but Legler would hire Avery.

All avery bashing that would fit just as well, if not better, in any number of avery bashing threads on the first page. Folks like to jump on 92Dad (or whatever his name is) for suggesting things like having one big Mavs thread, but if you can transplant half the posts in any given thread into almost any other thread without disrupting the topic, then you might as well collapse them all into a single thread.

You're turning a blind eye if you think this board hasn't gone overboard with the anti-avery stuff lately.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
cockroach; feel sorry for any team that falls for it; avery won't get hired (teams have to be lured); nobody but Legler would hire Avery.

All avery bashing that would fit just as well, if not better, in any number of avery bashing threads on the first page. Folks like to jump on 92Dad (or whatever his name is) for suggesting things like having one big Mavs thread, but if you can transplant half the posts in any given thread into almost any other thread without disrupting the topic, then you might as well collapse them all into a single thread.

You're turning a blind eye if you think this board hasn't gone overboard with the anti-avery stuff lately.
No, I don't think it's gone overboard, because the fact is, the team just lost in the first round for the second straight year, and the future doesn't look bright. That, IMHO, is more Avery's fault than anyone else's. The only reason the team isn't in complete disarray is because they were so quick to bring in Carlisle.

The fact that Avery sucks really can't be over-stated. I think once we start making trades and looking towards next season, you'll see the Avery-hate subside. But right now, it's just too fresh in our minds. I mean, the guy was fired, what, two weeks ago? Give it time. We're still angry.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-14-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #21
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
No, I don't it's gone overboard, because the fact is, the team just lost in the first round for the second straight year, and the future doesn't look bright. That, IMHO, is more Avery's fault than anyone else's. The only reason the team isn't in complete disarray is because they were so quick to bring in Carlisle.

The fact that Avery sucks really can't be over-stated. I think once we start making trades and looking towards next season, you'll see the Avery-hate subside. But right now, it's just too fresh in our minds. I mean, the guy was fired, what, two weeks ago? Give it time. We're still angry.
+1

People in here were really really cautios on jumping on Avery, but the fact remains that he might have set this franchise back in a way that two years ago it was unthinkable. I don't think that this critisicm of him is not merited. And he hasn't said anything since getting fired that makes me think that.

Never has this board reacted so angrily to one guy in specific. There has to be a reason.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #22
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
dammit ghazi.
I cant believe it.. I just +repped horse.
God forgive me.
I laughed though
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity
+1

People in here were really really cautios on jumping on Avery, but the fact remains that he might have set this franchise back in a way that two years ago it was unthinkable. I don't think that this critisicm of him is not merited. And he hasn't said anything since getting fired that makes me think that.

Never has this board reacted so angrily to one guy in specific. There has to be a reason.
Exactly. You can debate what was his fault and what wasn't. But I personally am of the opinion that the Mavs had both the 06 and 07 championships in the bag, and blew both opportunities because of horrible coaching. I don't know that I'll ever stop ranting about that.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Convenience? I mean in one fell swoop we got rid of the thing that was responsible for roughly 90% of our problems. It doesn't get much cleaner than that.

There's also the fact that he has a big ego. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way but has nothing to do with his ability to coach basketball.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly gave up on Avery after last years playoffs.
I mean you take a team that won 67 games tell the MVP to play a different position and then throw the guy under the bus for not succeeding at your game plan (one that went completely against what worked for you), and see how well you are received.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #26
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a gag order, then yeah both sides need to be quiet. But if there isn't one, it would be NICE to turn the other cheek and just shrug off the comments, but he's not required to.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #27
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dammit ghazi.
MavsX = haX?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Exactly. You can debate what was his fault and what wasn't. But I personally am of the opinion that the Mavs had both the 06 and 07 championships in the bag, and blew both opportunities because of horrible coaching. I don't know that I'll ever stop ranting about that.
endrity's point is spot-on, in that when we look back on the Avery era we will realize how he indeed "set this franchise back" with his crazy brand of cracker-jack coaching.

You mention '06 and '07 as prime years. I stand by my assertion that '05 was every bit the opportunity that either of those years were. Yet we had Avery manufacturing a way to get behind 0-2 to Houston, literally falling on his ass during the game, losing his composure in press conferences, and completely losing control of himself and his team in crunch time against Phoenix. Sigh.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #29
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Avery is the suck!!!
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Convenience? I mean in one fell swoop we got rid of the thing that was responsible for roughly 90% of our problems. It doesn't get much cleaner than that.

There's also the fact that he has a big ego. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way but has nothing to do with his ability to coach basketball.
If you want a microcosm of Avery's tenure here, you need look no further than the San Antonio game when he benched Kidd in the last minute. That wasn't one of those deals where you find a prime opportunity to grind an ax. Rather, that was the kind of deal that slaps you upside the head with its message, whether you liked Avery or not. There's no getting away from something like that.

What it did was reveal to everyone (who didn't already know it) that in Avery's mind he was responsible for not just 90% of our play, as you suggest, but fully 100%. In the position he was in, that kind of attitude is very definitely going to manifest itself in the entire team play.

He wasn't responsible for 90% of our problems, but the one problem that he was 100% responsible for (siezes all the power, yet wields it to our own detriment) was a problem that we were NEVER going to get around as long as he was still here.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Until Avery fixes his ego and let's other people's voices be heard, he's going to have a hard time really breaking through. Thinking everyone would work around him, AND be the team's psychiatrist...it's a bit much for him. He was in over his head. Like PDub said before, his greatest strength is his greatest weakness.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #32
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
his [Avery's] crazy brand of cracker-jack coaching.
"Crazy Brand of Cracker-Jack Coaching"... Hahaha... That's a brilliant phrase, CD. Deserves to be darned well copyrighted is what I'd say ...

“But we are trying to figure out how to take the next step. We've got a System in place now, and we're trying to plug in the Right Pieces!!!!!"

Last edited by Evilmav2; 05-14-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
“But we are trying to figure out how to take the next step. We've got a System in place now, and we're trying to plug in the Right Pieces!!!!!
We need to hit the weight room. We need to finish stronger. That's our rallying cry this year. Hit the weights and finish stronger!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #34
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

What Dirk said :

"So I'm looking forward to communicating a lot," Nowitzki said. "I think that's what Avery was missing a little bit, the communication with the players individually. I think that's the way to go -- not only find your way as a coach, but find out what the players like, where they like to catch the ball, what sets they like. Because it's still a player's league, it's not a league of coaches. You've got to find the way to get the best out of players."

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
What Dirk said :

"So I'm looking forward to communicating a lot," Nowitzki said. "I think that's what Avery was missing a little bit, the communication with the players individually. I think that's the way to go -- not only find your way as a coach, but find out what the players like, where they like to catch the ball, what sets they like. Because it's still a player's league, it's not a league of coaches. You've got to find the way to get the best out of players."
dang.

thats a lot, coming from Dirk.

link?

Last edited by sike; 05-14-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #36
BGMaverick9
Guru

Avery always said "communication is never a problem. I always have communication with the players."

Maybe he did, but he didn't let the players speak back or it was just one ear and out the other.

I've only see the tail end of that quote, didn't see that first part...so thanks for that.
-----------------
This is from DMoore:
Q: I see where Avery was fired with "three years left on his contract worth about $12 million." What did Avery get in terms of a buy-out of those terms?

RO, Dallas

MOORE: If he sits out three years he receives the full $12 million. If you know anything about Johnson, you know he's physically incapable of being away from the game that long. Once he signs with another team, Cuban will be off the hook for the remainder of the contract.

Wow, I didn't know that was actually the case or if that is common in buy-outs. I figure Cuban should be off the hook in a few weeks or only have to pay for one more year.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-14-2008 at 11:27 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #37
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Its the article on ESPN...about our new coach and thats what Dirk had to say

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3396239

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #38
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Avery always said "communication is never a problem. I always have communication with the players."

Maybe he did, but he didn't let the players speak back or it was just one ear and out the other.

I've only see the tail end of that quote, didn't see that first part...so thanks for that.
-----------------
This is from DMoore:
Q: I see where Avery was fired with "three years left on his contract worth about $12 million." What did Avery get in terms of a buy-out of those terms?

RO, Dallas

MOORE: If he sits out three years he receives the full $12 million. If you know anything about Johnson, you know he's physically incapable of being away from the game that long. Once he signs with another team, Cuban will be off the hook for the remainder of the contract.

Wow, I didn't know that was actually the case or if that is common in buy-outs. I figure Cuban should be off the hook in a few weeks or only have to pay for one more year.
WOOOOW thats some messed up shit...he could do nothing for 3 years and get 12 million...wow how can it work like that

........GO MAVS
Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #39
BGMaverick9
Guru

It is...but like Moore said, it's going to be hard for Avery to sit for THREE years. I'm sure 3 weeks will be killing him. I fully expect Cuban to be off the hook after one year at the latest.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #40
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Its the article on ESPN...about our new coach and thats what Dirk had to say

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3396239
here is the Dirk-centric part...

""Having said all that about the offensive end, we've got to be passionate and vigilant about preserving what Avery did here in establishing the defensive end," Carlisle said. "This team didn't get to the championship round until they really made a commitment defensively."

Sitting near the back of the room, Nowitzki loved what he was hearing.

"That's cool," he whispered.

Truth is, Carlisle and Nowitzki hit it off the first time they met, a few days into the coaching search. Carlisle was the first and only candidate interviewed and within days he was going through a second round of meetings with team owner Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson, the team's president of basketball operations. After getting together in Indianapolis, they met in Dallas and invited Nowitzki to join them at Cuban's house.

Nowitzki figured he'd be there an hour. He stayed more than four, starving because he'd skipped lunch, but thrilled with everything he heard.

"He was great, just a great guy. Somebody you can talk to that's easygoing," Nowitzki said. "What I liked about it the most was he asked me, `What do I like? What do I want to improve on going forward?"

Carlisle even gave Nowitzki some pointers, tips he'd gleaned from his days playing and coaching with Larry Bird.

"We got up in the living room and he already started teaching me some stuff that Larry used to do to get easier looks and get himself going if there where nights when his jumper wasn't going," Nowitzki said.

Nowitzki seemed surprised when he was told Carlisle didn't exactly have a reputation for being a player's coach. He noted that Carlisle sent him several text messages during the week lawyers spent wrangling over the contract and called him the night it was done. Carlisle also is planning on going to Germany for a few days this summer to continue bonding with his best player.