Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Road

Until I read this article, (after seeing the trailer) I was starting to doubt this would come close to the book: I am not saying this article changed my mind completely, but when you get to page 4 you will see why I definitely sighed a relief and feel this movie has hope to be great.

Article

I would love to discuss the book and movie for those interested... I have read the book 4 times now and each time I feel as though I am reading it for the first time...
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That is encouraging. I was worried when they delayed it last year. I wondered if it would just be forgotten.

I've told you this before Shaggy, but it's one of my favorites. My absolute favorite book by McCarthy.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810037227/trailer
Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I plan on reading it again once finished with my current book I'm reading so I'll have the whole story fresh on the mind.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oprah talked about the book? I'm out on it then.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Oprah talked about the book? I'm out on it then.
That is a shame. It's an engaging story.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

While I share Murph's sentiments regarding oprah, I think I might have to read that if U2 thinks it's good.

It sounds really familiar. I think my wife might actually have that book at the house somewhere already.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Flaco... I'd be surprised if you read the book and didn't like it. Cormac McCarthy is the author. He wrote No Country for Old Men (also made into a movie a few years back) which is another great read. It's not a fluff piece that you would expect from a Oprah suggested novel. Actually I used to think that until she gave that recommendation for The Road... then last year she did the same for another great novel that I had already read, Edgar Sawtelle. Oprah is a fricking beating but she knows a good book when she reads one.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 11-16-2009 at 04:52 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Murphy, I think if you saw the interview between Oprah and Cormac you would feel differently. Cormac is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, living writers of our time. Oprah didn't even know how to communicate with him. He is on a different level and his books have no fluff, like U2 said. The Road isn't even his best in my opinion. He has another book called Blood Meridian that is brutally genius.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't crazy about the book. It was okay..but kinda tedious I thought.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

can you elaborate on "tedious" please?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a long, long walk at a pretty slow pace I thought.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Ok, you're clearly messing with me.. That is in no way what the book is about.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
Ok, you're clearly messing with me.. That is in no way what the book is about.
No...I'm not...I know it was apocalyptic and all that but it just seemed like a survival story without much happening.

I had a hard time working up a good careabout for the characters. To be honest I'm not much of a fan of MacCarty's work anyway. I've manged to get through most of the trilogy and they are also pretty tedious. I think he could use a good editor honestly.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
No...I'm not...I know it was apocalyptic and all that but it just seemed like a survival story without much happening.

I had a hard time working up a good careabout for the characters. To be honest I'm not much of a fan of MacCarty's work anyway. I've manged to get through most of the trilogy and they are also pretty tedious. I think he could use a good editor honestly.
Well, that is just his style of writing. I can totally understand that his writing style doesn't appeal to 85% of the population. I was able to get through Suttree which is considered his best work by his fan boys, but I just didn't like how long it took me to read it. I felt like I was forcing my way through sections of the book. But, by getting through it, I think it made the rest of his early works easier to read. No Country For Old Men was on the other side because it was straight to the point. Hit you hard and quick. I read it in a total of about 6 hours over a 3 day period. The Road is, imo, right in between. To the point but also very descriptive when necessary.

I would recommend Blood Meridian. Like I said before, I think it is his best.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I loved The Road and all of Cormac's works. Looking very forward to the movie. Cinematography and feel looks down pat from the trailers, and Viggo looks great.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Well, that is just his style of writing. I can totally understand that his writing style doesn't appeal to 85% of the population. I was able to get through Suttree which is considered his best work by his fan boys, but I just didn't like how long it took me to read it. I felt like I was forcing my way through sections of the book. But, by getting through it, I think it made the rest of his early works easier to read. No Country For Old Men was on the other side because it was straight to the point. Hit you hard and quick. I read it in a total of about 6 hours over a 3 day period. The Road is, imo, right in between. To the point but also very descriptive when necessary.

I would recommend Blood Meridian. Like I said before, I think it is his best.
Thanks...Since he's so popular I forced the trilogy through my head. I like westerns anyway.

I started Blood Meridian once and I do believe it kind of started off with a little more of a bang than normal, I'll pick it back up. I'll definitely read no country for old men, especially if it's a little crisper.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I loved The Road and all of Cormac's works. Looking very forward to the movie. Cinematography and feel looks down pat from the trailers, and Viggo looks great.
I expect the movie will be quite good. Because I think he sorta needs an editor, I think his books translate well in that respect. All the pretty horses might be an exception...that book was pretty good.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I think his lack of punctuation adds to the flavor of his works. No Country is notorious for that but given the time frame the book is set in, it really works for me. When I read The Road, I didn't even notice...It almost seemed more fluid without all the punctuation. But, that is just me.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed the movie "all the pretty hourses"
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Here is a "better" interview with Cormac
Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I haven't been disappointed in any of his books. Some of his early works are rather disturbing, like Outer Dark..... but never disappointing.

I have only read the first of the border trilogy and it was a great book. I have yet to read Sutree. Blood Meridian is really good. No Country I read after the movie. I liked both the movie and the book, but the book is really a separate entity as far as focus is concerned.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I really enjoyed the movie "all the pretty hourses"
are you sure you are not refering to the music video "Beer for my hourses"?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I have tickets for tonight's showing. I have low expectations for the film.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #25
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have tickets for tonight's showing. I have low expectations for the film.
Why? It's at 71% on RT, and most of the reviews, even the negative ones, concede the look and feel is right.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #26
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I will let you know.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #27
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
I will let you know.
I look forward to hearing your review. Have fun!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #28
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I won't make it until Friday. I looked at the reviews at RT and, although intrigued... makes me wonder.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #29
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

Well, the movie was pulled from all the theatres in Austin except for one in north (which is like traveling to another city for those of you that have not ventured down here). So, I am extremely disappointed for a lot of reasons. 1) I don't know when it will be wide release 2) This movie has already been pushed back a YEAR. It was done last novemember 3) The theatre gave us a a rain check and a free movie of our choice last night, but from the great line in The Last Crusade, "He chose poorly". For the love of all that is right, don't go see 2012 unless you want gouge out your eyes and throw them in a stagnet pond.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #30
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Why did they do that?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #31
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I really enjoyed the novel but don't see how they can create the same desolate tone with a movie. Seeing it this weekend, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

U2, have you read A World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler or The Pesthouse by Jim Crace? I think if you enjoy The Road, or the post-apocalyptic genre in general, those two will also be right down your alley.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

*bump*

Still have not seen the movie. Only showing in two theaters here. ONe is Alamo Drafthouse which is not a good place to see this kind of movie and the other one is up north.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Tokey... just saw this. I will have to check out those books, I have not read either.

I am curious why this movie isn't released to more theaters..... It has gotten good ratings from what I can tell. I want to see this movie, but I don't want to have to drive 45 minutes to get there. If it doesn't open up to a wider number of theaters (ie. closer to me) I will be waiting for it's DVD release. Well, maybe when I'm on vacation the week after Christmas, but I doubt it.... that's just too far.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #34
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
I want to see this movie, but I don't want to have to drive 45 minutes to get there.
It's playing at the Cinemark in West Plano (but the only other theater it's playing at around here is the Angelika on Mockingbird...)

I still have no idea why this film was pulled from so many markets - are they trying to build viral hype for the movie, or does it just suck?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That's what I'm curious about UD. The reviews on RT are mostly positive. It has 71% positive reviews out of 126 reviews in all. So it doesn't sound like it's horrible.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #36
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

I personally think they made some bad marketing decisions to start with. Add to the fact that Viggo doesn't do well in promoting movies.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #37
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

You people read?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #38
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
You people read?
im not read, im wite!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #39
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

wat
Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
You people read?
Yes sir, Mr. I Spoiled The Davinci Code For U2 Years Ago.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-10-2009 at 05:50 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boring thread