Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Does Dirk have another level?

This was one of those performances that leaves me thinking...

Does Dirk, like his buddy Steve Nash, - have yet another level to which he can take his game on the north side of 30?

Is it possible that the best of Dirk Nowitzki is yet to come?

A week ago I honestly would have said no, that he may maintain a similar level of play for a few years before his eventual decline, but his days of competing for the MVP were over, and he most certainly has "peaked" as an NBA player.

Now I am not so sure. Out there tonight, Dirk looked like Dirk 4.0, the entire package, the guy with the reckless confidence of 2002, the poise of 2006 and and the wisdom and experience of 2010. Maybe it was the psycho girlfriend jail fiasco, or a new workout from Holger or a new diet or finding inner peace or maybe it is just this moment and this team.

But something happened out there tonight. Something clicked.

It's going to be an interesting year.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should merge this thread with the "Dirk is Great" thread. What do you guys think?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

No instead, I think I'm going to make yet another thread asking the question "Is Dirk God's other son?"
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, now I wish I hadn't thrown away my line in that other thread.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless, I don't know about "another level", but I do think Dirk has a game that's going to age very well. The ways he can score aren't just going to go away, even as he slowly loses his athleticism. And if he can keep developing new facets to his game, we should still be seeing plenty of high-level ball from Dirk in the years ahead.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-04-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

/Thread
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder if he has another level on defense. Through four games, Dirk has played some of the best defense I've ever seen him play. Not just good Dirk D. But flat out good D, like All-NBA caliber (esp. these three wins). Rasheed's D got better with age (at least perception wise it seems). Maybe Dirk's could go the same way.

Last edited by CadBane; 11-04-2009 at 01:28 AM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

i vote Dirk never again picks-up a basketball in the offseason. his legs seem fresh. and Carlisle did a nice job of getting him some rest earlier so he'd be ready to play the entire 4th
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

if he actually had a low-post threat beside him we might see another level, just by sheer virtue of more open looks. and yes his defense has improved it's great to see
Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
mac222b
Diamond Member

good as Kidd, Marion, J-Ho are none of them commands a double team or even much "help defense". Devin Harris did. he didn't directly make Dirk better though. not a great distributor. we could use someone(preferably big)who does draw help defenders consistently.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Obviously he would be able to average 28 a game which he has never done. On the other hand he loves to be the reluctant superstar. He embraces the Euro philosophy of sharing and team ball.
He would love it if he could score in single digits and the team wins.

There is always an element of being a bear with these big claws who doesn't know how to kill the bunny, within his game.
It's sort of charming in a way, but of course he will be forgotten after he retires.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I think he could, but on the defensive end. He and Damp had 11 blocks last nite. Thats amazing and Dirk has been playing better D since the start of this season. If he can continue to do that then I think that makes Damp more effective because he just has to worry about his man for the most part.

If he can maintain his D then yee its another level for him
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

About the defense thing: I do have the Lakers game recorded, and there was one point Lamar Odom thought he could take Dirk one-on-one. Lamar has the ball at the free-throw extended line, and the guy doing the broadcast goes "and Lamar Odom now with a smile on his face, giving Dirk every move he's got." And what happens is he tried to drive 2 times and Dirk cut off his drive twice. I didn't see much of the other games, but he did play exceptional defense on that game. And obviously he had 5 blocks last night, and that doesn't happen by chance......
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

For Dirk, getting to the basket has never been about being quicker than everyone else. As long as he's a bit quicker than the other bigs and a bit taller than anyone else, his offensive game shouldn't suffer too much from age related slow down.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
About the defense thing: I do have the Lakers game recorded, and there was one point Lamar Odom thought he could take Dirk one-on-one. Lamar has the ball at the free-throw extended line, and the guy doing the broadcast goes "and Lamar Odom now with a smile on his face, giving Dirk every move he's got." And what happens is he tried to drive 2 times and Dirk cut off his drive twice. I didn't see much of the other games, but he did play exceptional defense on that game. And obviously he had 5 blocks last night, and that doesn't happen by chance......
I remember expecting Odom to pull a Zach Randolph with that careless dribble.

And did you see his awesome flop on Shawn Marion? Man, that was a beauty.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That video gets me. every. single. time.

But I was looking for an interview a couple of years ago, I'm thinking it was Iverson, talking to TNT and going "we have to go up two levels, then we have to step it up four more levels, then we gotta play hard and go up 5 more levels.......

I'm thinking it was Iverson, but it might've been Marbury. Anyway, I can't find that video and it's frustrating me.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Chalking this up to fresh legs, no summer ball, fresh legs, good start.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Chalking this up to fresh legs, no summer ball, fresh legs, good start.
And losing the weight. He is the quickest he has been in years. It seems like he can drive on almost anybody now.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #19
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
Obviously he would be able to average 28 a game which he has never done. On the other hand he loves to be the reluctant superstar. He embraces the Euro philosophy of sharing and team ball.
He would love it if he could score in single digits and the team wins.

There is always an element of being a bear with these big claws who doesn't know how to kill the bunny, within his game.
It's sort of charming in a way, but of course he will be forgotten after he retires.
me likey this post
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
mavsfan2323

mavsfan2323 will become famous soon enoughmavsfan2323 will become famous soon enough

i think it's all mental. his german coach said it the best.... if he uses the whole toolbox he's unstoppable. it's when he settles for 17 footers that the mavs struggle. him getting to line like that was a very good sign too.
mavsfan2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

itll be interesting to see how dirks career unfolds. Honestly barring injury, I dont see why dirk couldnt be an effective player till hes about 45. Hes always going to be tall and hes always going to be able to stretch a D. The question is will he be willing to play as a 10-15 ppg instant offense/shooter off the bench guy. If so, he will break parish's games played record and kaj's minutes played record. I dont think hell ever be better than hes already been though. I do think hell continue to be great for a couple of more years though and i intend to enjoy every minute of it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #22
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
itll be interesting to see how dirks career unfolds. Honestly barring injury, I dont see why dirk couldnt be an effective player till hes about 45.
Thats gotta be a typo. Right?
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Thats gotta be a typo. Right?
nope. Obviously he wont play that long but i dont see why he couldnt... Why couldnt he do what say matt bonner does now when hes 45?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #24
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
nope. Obviously he wont play that long but i dont see why he couldnt... Why couldnt he do what say matt bonner does now when hes 45?
Why would the future Hall of Famer, one of the greatest players to ever play the game, want to continue playing just so he can fill a Matt Bonner role. A lot of players could probably play a few more years than what they did, but usually they retire before they absolutely suck. I'm sorry, but if I'm Dirk, I never want to be playing on a Matt Bonner level. If that's the best I can play, then I'd retire.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #25
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Some players just love to play the game. Guys like Parish and Malone were great players that played well into the twilight of their careers.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't someone want to play a game for a living as long as they were being productive and contributing?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Why would the future Hall of Famer, one of the greatest players to ever play the game, want to continue playing just so he can fill a Matt Bonner role. A lot of players could probably play a few more years than what they did, but usually they retire before they absolutely suck. I'm sorry, but if I'm Dirk, I never want to be playing on a Matt Bonner level. If that's the best I can play, then I'd retire.
i actually think he could be better than that. i was just setting a pretty modest standard. I actually dont think dirk will keep playing when hes not a 20 ppg guy anymore. I dont say that because hes selfish(obviously he isnt) but he doesnt strike me as the type to hang on. That said i just pointed out that i thought he COULD.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #28
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Dirk doesn't bang around like a traditional 4, he's got plenty left in the gas tank.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #29
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
me likey this post
i'm not sure he'll be forgotten exactly. it's not like he's detlef schrempf or something
Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #30
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

I'm starting to think so. First the Utah game, then Milwaukee than this.
He is just unbelievable

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i actually think he could be better than that. i was just setting a pretty modest standard. I actually dont think dirk will keep playing when hes not a 20 ppg guy anymore. I dont say that because hes selfish(obviously he isnt) but he doesnt strike me as the type to hang on. That said i just pointed out that i thought he COULD.
I think that depends upon whether or not he's on a title contender. If he's averaging 15-18 a game on a team that's loaded, I believe he'll stick around. But that way things are looking, he's got a half decade before he drops to that point.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
cchriswake
Banned

cchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these partscchriswake is infamous around these parts

Dirk's potential is still limitless... we have yet to see the very best of Dirk Nowitzki. I remember all the talk about during the "experiment" 2003-2004 season everyone was worried that Dirk took a step back, but since then he's compiled numerous All NBA First team selections, an MVP award, a trip to the Finals, many Franchise records, comebacks, buzzer beaters (all on the road I might add)... the only thing to complete this package is of course a championship and until he gets that ring, he'll always have another level to get to...
cchriswake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think that depends upon whether or not he's on a title contender. If he's averaging 15-18 a game on a team that's loaded, I believe he'll stick around. But that way things are looking, he's got a half decade before he drops to that point.
i concurr

Tags
pulldirksootherlever, thread diarrhea