Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold
Default Dallas Mavericks 2009-2010 NBA Season Thread

I have come to notice something... I never know which thread to put news in regarding the Mavs because it's so damned vague and I don't think it's necessary to make an entire thread about the news I'm going to reveal.

So I guess this'll be like the Offseason thread, where it's anything goes as long as it has to do with the Mavs season (Even though the season hasn't started, but whatever)

That being said, I checked out espndallas.com which is an awesome site, and I learned this:

Quote:
Who will be the first marquee player to be traded this season? I say Golden State's Stephen Jackson.

Sources say that the Mavericks, already two-deep at versatile forward with Shawn Marion and Josh Howard, have informed the Golden State Warriors that they have "no interest" in adding Jackson to that mix despite Jackson's publicly stated wish to go to Cleveland, New York or one of the three Texas teams.
Not really a big deal, but it solidifies that we aren't going to be dealing with GS any time soon. I just hope he doesn't go to Cleveland or San Antonio.

So let the Mavs Season talk begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I would deal with GS in a 3 team trade. One that would bring us another "good" C and one or two of the young SG from GS.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know where the GDGDT IS???????? WTF.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I would like to know where the GDGDT IS???????? WTF.
I'd like to know what it stands for...

I haven't asked for the risk of being prosecuted as an ignorant person. But I need to know, it's been bothering me...

Quote:
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I haven't asked for the risk of being prosecuted as an ignorant person. But I need to know, it's been bothering me...
I think I know, but my mommy told me never to use that kind of language so I can't repeat it.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

After last year's rash of threads created to share spontaneous, random thoughts, I suppose it was inevitable that the pendulum would swing to where a single thread shall cover the entirety of the Mavs forum.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Have we ever had a single thread for an entire season?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

no because we always had game day threads.

btw I hate generalizing everything into one single thread. Sometimes we DO need new threads so we can find stuff, ya damn control freaks.

Last edited by Windmill360; 10-23-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I really think random news that's not worthy of a thread can generally go into gameday threads.

I'm fully in favor of staying far away from the disease that infects DB.com, but one thread for all news during the entire season is overkill of the highest order.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Come to think of it, I only know one person who considered trying this before:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...366#post619366

Anyway, this thread just might fall off the main page before the season even starts.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Thanks for posting the Gosh Durn Game Day Thread!
Glad to bring you together. For an example of use in more forthright terms, see Nina Simone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYVaHEMK0I

Great song, a poor quality version which I found to be the most charming, though.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Nowitzki4President

I don't see the difference between having one of these and having an offseason thread. But hate if you want...

Quote:
Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

speaking of which, I think technically we have two more days of offseason after tonight's game - time we could use to propel the offseason thread to exactly 7,777 posts. Let's git r done!
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't see the difference between having one of these and having an offseason thread. But hate if you want...
The main difference is that during the season we're creating a thread for every game, and a lot of post game discussion and articles written shortly after that game are generally placed in those threads.

There's also much, much more posting activity during the season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

There's also much, much more posting activity during the season.
WHAAAA?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
WHAAAA?
Example A ^^^^

There's like five people in this entire forum who even know who this "Sike" guy is.

All the creatures start crawling out of the woodwork this time of year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shhhhh. Here's Mavs' Starting Lineup Vs. Wizards
From The Matrix: Expect Ross And Damp In The First Five
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Mavs coach Rick Carlisle has a sort of “don’t-ask/don’t-tell’’ policy regarding announcing his starting lineup. It’s pretty much a “16-minutes-before-tipoff’’ deal. So Monday, at the team’s final full practice before Tuesday’s season-opener at home against the Wizards, Carlisle didn’t broach the subject.

But in a one-on-one visit with Shawn Marion, I did broach the subject. ... and got some insight not only into who might start the opener but which Mav might guard which Wizard:

“It’s tough for them without Antawn Jamison (shoulder), but they have so many other weapons,’’ Marion told me. “Caron (Butler) is a great weapon. I’ll guard him.’’

OK, there’s one spot. At a forward, The Matrix will get tested by Butler (a career-high of 20.8 per game in 2008-09, when he also averaged 6.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists.)

How about Gilbert Arenas, apparently fully healthy for the first time in forever and maybe ready to flirt with 30 ppg again?

“Oh, that’s J-Kidd’s man,’’ Marion said.

Dirk Nowitzki will of course start for Dallas, and if Jamison was available, those two might duel. Instead, Washington will have to patchwork its way here, though keep in mind the Wiz have added firepower in guys like Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

Then come the question marks. With no Josh Howard (ankle) available – and it might be a two-week wait before he is – Marion suggested that Dallas would rely on Quentin Ross as the starter.

“And who is their 2, if Gilbert starts at the point?’’ Marion asked me, before remembering, “Yeah, DeShawn Stevenson. He’s kind of their stopper, too.’’

Indeed, while Ross might start and guard Stevenson, Stevenson will probably spend his defensive night on more important assignments.

Finally, at center: “Oh, we’ll go with the big guy,’’ Marion said. “We’ve got Damp and they’ve got, who (Brendan) Haywood? That’s two big ol’ monsters.’’

So, if Marion is correct, Dallas’ starting lineup will be Kidd (guarding Arenas), Ross, Dirk, Damp and Marion (on Butler).

Want that written in stone? You’ll have to wait until Tuesday, until 16 minutes before tipoff, when Rick Carlisle says it is so.

Boo on starting Damp.

Last edited by SMC0007; 10-26-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

"while Ross might start and guard Stevenson, Stevenson will probably spend his defensive night on more important assignments."

If there defensive stopper is focusing on more important assignments, shouldnt ours be too? Like guarding Arenas?
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Why are we worried about who the Mavs will be guarding? Shouldn't the Wiz be more concerned with who they're guarding? (you know, because the Wizards totally suck on defense...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Lots of new vids up
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/video/originals/
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i can't wait to see who starts for the mavs opener tomorrow. i think they'll destroy the wizards
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If Stevenson is their defensive specialist.....

Im just flabergasted. Thats like having Terry on your team and calling him your stopper. He may be adequate, but he's not stopping anyone.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Why are we worried about who the Mavs will be guarding? Shouldn't the Wiz be more concerned with who they're guarding? (you know, because the Wizards totally suck on defense...)
And no Jamison. This should be a win. I think Ross has had an underrated camp and got a lot of great and valuable playing time. His defense in the third quarter against Houston last game was stellar.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i just hope we don't start 0-4 or 2-7
Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
i just hope we don't start 0-4 or 2-7
Why not? That's our good luck charm!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

One day more....

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #27
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Why not? That's our good luck charm!
i would jsut like to see us get off to a hot start for a change. if not for the 2-7 start last year we would have won the division
Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #28
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

We already have a thread for this. Only we call it a forum, and we organize the topics in it by separate threads. It makes it easier to have a discussion on something like "Our starting lineup" or "our record after 10 games," which would both be excellent threads.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #29
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

lol
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

So, is this the official thread for Mavs talk during the season.. I mean, other than GDThreads. It would be so nice to just have the threads for each individual game in a nice little thread and a thread for all other talk in another thread. That would just tie everything up so nicely.

And hey, if the Mavs cut someone..just put it in this thread. If the Mavs trade for someone..just put it in this thread or a GDThread for the closest game that corresponds with the trade. That would be excellent.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

We should convert this thread into the trash heap where all the crappy threads-which-should-not-be-threads are dumped.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
We should convert this thread into the trash heap where all the crappy threads-which-should-not-be-threads are dumped.
Now that is an idea. Consider it done.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well..I know I made fun of this thread...but I really have no idea where else to put this:

Quote:
Minutes may be scarce for Mavs rookie
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

It was the undeniable highlight of the Mavericks' preseason: Rodrigue Beaubois' moving into the starting lineup for the third quarter at Washington and promptly uncorking 11 memorable points.
The highlight within the highlight: Beaubois stripped the ball clean from Wizards ace Gilbert Arenas and zoomed away for an uncontested dunk.

Yet it remains to be seen what sort of opportunity Beaubois will get Tuesday night when Dallas opens the regular season at home with a rematch against Arenas and the Wiz. The prospect of an extended Beaubois-versus-Arenas rematch seems unlikely. Obviously.

"The hope," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said, "is that Roddy can crack the rotation at some point."

The flashes of supreme athleticism, by all accounts, have been even more frequent on the practice floor from the No. 25 overall pick than they were during exhibition play. But Beaubois has joined a team that has won 50 games for nine successive seasons. Significant minutes for a rookie, on a team with the Mavs' aspirations, would have to be classified as unlikely. Especially at the start.

The Mavs quietly believe Beaubois would have been a Rookie of the Year contender -- in a race that might prove more open than anticipated in the wake of the fractured kneecap suffered by prohibitive favorite Blake Griffin -- had he been drafted by a lottery team. His gifts are obvious: Beaubois has "Tony Parker-like speed and can change games with it," in the words of one veteran scout; he also has a 6-foot-10 wingspan and a build reminiscent of Boston's Rajon Rondo.

But Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson thinks it's wise to temper expectations, thrilled as everyone in the organization is to have landed such a gem in the lower reaches of the first round. Although it's true that containing speedy point guards is a Mavs weakness -- which theoretically creates a need for Beaubois to play -- getting the 21-year-old on the floor likely requires him to wrest minutes away from Jason Kidd, Jason Terry or J.J. Barea.

"We are in the business of winning games," Nelson cautions. "And playing rookies big minutes is not always conducive to winning games."

That's why you shouldn't be surprised if Beaubois -- for all the expectations he has already generated -- spends some time this season with the Mavs' D-League affiliate in Albuquerque, N.M. Valuable as it is for Beaubois to spend as much time as he can sponging off a mentor as accomplished as Kidd, there would be unquestioned value in letting Beaubois run a team for an entire game (or games).

"With any young player, you've got the instructional component and you've got the practical component," Nelson said. "You've got to be able to use what you've learned in the heat of the battle.

"Roddy has gotten off to a real good start, but you never want to close the door on any playing opportunity. We feel real good about the development he's getting and being with Jason every day, but you never know. There might come a time or a stretch of games where it makes sense to give him a chance to have the ball in his hands with five seconds to go in the game."

Sending youngsters to the D-League will be a more inviting prospect for Dallas next season when the forthcoming Frisco franchise Nelson co-owns will serve as the Mavs' up-the-road affiliate. Nelson, though, insists that the club is sufficiently comfortable with the idea of dispatching Beaubois to the Albuquerque Thunderbirds if need be, with Mavs alumnus Darvin Ham working on the Albuquerque coaching staff.

Beaubois has wowed numerous league observers already with what Nelson describes as "freakish athleticism" coupled with a 3-point shooting range that neither Parker nor Devin Harris possesses. But Beaubois is still just learning how to read defenses -- especially in pick-and-rolls -- and at times emits a too-cool-for-school vibe that the Mavs want him to drop. Carlisle has made occasional mention of the fact that Beaubois does not yet play with the consistent sense of urgency required of point guards at this level.

The latter is another reason why a D-League visit or two could make some sense. As Nelson notes, Beaubois would get quite a push with the Thunderbirds because "it's the second most athletic league in the world."

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, Dan, and Donny about to talk Mavs

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

Wow. They really have no idea on Gooden.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

oh my goodness....Bob is clueless about this year's team.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #37
SMC0007
Guru

Yeah, they hammered them. I hate hearing people give their opinion based on...not paying attention to anything this offseason or watching any preseason games. I love the show but they surprised me with that nonsense.

Horsehockey!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Everything Bob said about Gooden is 100% true. He was beyond horrible in the playoffs for the Spurs.

He's looked good for stretches in the preseason, but I don't know that I would kill his opinion of Gooden before we see him make a difference in a regular season game.

The rest of it was the typical uninformed fare that you hear from everyone on the radio not named Skin.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-27-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #39
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Everything Bob said about Gooden is 100% true. He was beyond horrible in the playoffs for the Spurs.
yes...because those are the only 6 games on which to judge Gooden as a player?

Its still irritating to me that the local sports genius hasn't paid any attention to the Mavs in general or Gooden in specific.

Also, does it not enter Bob's mind that Marion could guard a guy like Nene?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
yes...because those are the only 6 games on which to judge Gooden as a player?

Its still irritating to me that the local sports genius hasn't paid any attention to the Mavs in general or Gooden in specific.

Also, does it not enter Bob's mind that Marion could guard a guy like Nene?
The local sports media doesn't know anything about basketball. This is why I was so disappointed that Skin couldn't stick on the radio permanently in some role.

As for Gooden...well we've obviously already discussed this. I think the preseason has given some reasons for optimism. But I obviously don't have any problem with someone being underwhelmed with the acquisition.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
thread boycott, thread fail