Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting...

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2398

Quote:
And they're off!
The race for payroll reduction via a mid-season trade began a week ago with Utah sending Eric Maynor to OKC for nothing more than cap/tax savings for the Jazz, and it continued this week with a Minnesota-Phoenix trade done purely to trim the Suns' budget.
Of more interest is the trade that didn't go down. Originally Minnesota tried to do the same deal with New Orleans, but technicalities (a no-trade option that was used by Devin Brown, just like Devean George with the Kidd trade two years ago) got in the way, and the Hornets were left high and dry as the Wolves went elsewhere.
What also emerged was the revelation that despite the setback, the Hornets seem absolutely determined to find a way to keep from paying tax this season. Because they are $3-4M over the line right now, that's a very challenging task to accomplish via mid-season trades that typically need similar salary going both ways.
But a trade that includes Drew Gooden's vanishing contract could do exactly that for them.
So what should the Mavs do? What would we do, if we were Donnie and Cuban?
Call and ask for Chris Paul and they hang up the phone. They probably prefer not to talk about David West either, but they probably listen and ask for something back in assets as well as savings. But is anyone else on that team going to be off-limits? Doubt it.
So is there a deal here worth chasing for the Mavs? Eight things to keep in mind as we play Amateur GM:

1. West is a 6-9 power forward. Could he fit in Dallas in some sort of three-headed rotation with Dirk and Damp, in essence supplanting Gooden?
2. Or are there opportunities with West going to a third team in a three-way swap, one that would bring something the Mavs would want more?
3. Sacramento is said to be looking for a forward who plays like West, and is thought to have the ability to trade shooting guard Kevin Martin due to the emergence of rookie Tyreke Evans in the backcourt while Martin has been hurt. Would a deal that sends West to Sacramento and brings Martin to Dallas be worth exploring? And if so what talent would New Orleans demand along with the savings? And who would have to supply it?
4. What other teams besides Sacramento might have a scorer the Mavs might want … while also desirous of gaining West in trade?
5. The simpler approach to all of the above would be to see who the Mavs could use directly from the Hornets' roster. But is there anyone else really worth having?
6. Also, keep in mind that the financial pressure on that Hornets franchise has greatly hampered their hopes to build a contender, so if you are Dallas and you make them viable again by helping them add affordable pieces around Chris Paul, you have suffered a “hidden cost.’’
7. If the Mavs trade Gooden but want to get him back after he's waived, even if he wants to come back the rules would require them to wait a month. (As with what we called “The Boomerang Buyout’’ as it applied to Jerry Stackhouse’s inclusion in the original proposal to the Nets in the Kidd acquisition.) A month of games. … that's a lot of games to play in the interim with only Dampier available at center. Would Humphries and Singleton (assuming neither was included in the trade) be able to fill the role well enough to take the chance?
8. Since they are in the same division, would New Orleans even be open to trading with Dallas, even if the Mavs have the best solution for their need? Or vice versa?

The deadline -- if the Mavs want to make such a deal with Gooden -- is only about a week away. (Review those facts and figures here.) But now we definitely know the name of one possible partner who would dearly love such a dollars-saving deal: New Orleans. Will they be the answer? Will it be someone else instead? Or no one?

We'll know in a week or less.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 12-30-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be shocked to see the Hornets just dump West, but even if they were inclined to do so I think they'd want more back than Dallas is willing to give. Also, I don't know why Sacramento would want David West when they already have Jason Thompson at PF, unless they plan on moving Thompson to C.

A Gooden/Barea/S. Williams package would make a 3-way with Martin coming to Dallas work. I'd do that, but I don't see why New Orleans would.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

I don't want David West on the Dallas Mavericks one bit.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

a trio of Jet, Josh, and West would be the strongest bench in the league.

Wednesday morning, Barnes was home (apparently with his kids) when he read the quote and responded on twitter.

"Morning yall up early w/ the babies watchn Dora. Seems Lamar can't keep my name out his mouth maby I need 2 put my sons (expletive) diaper n it"
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Martin is pretty damn close to what we need here at SG. Not sure who we gotta give up...and I'm not so sure we can afford to lose JJB and Gooden tho.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Why has everyone given up on the notion of Josh Howard as SG already? Before the season everyone was on board with it, now everyone seems to think it's a horrible idea... even though WE STILL HAVEN'T seen it.

Before we start making radical trades to other teams to get yet another SG on our already SG loaded roster... maybe Carlisle should actually try Josh at the 2 for a bit?
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Martin would be the legit second scorer we have needed for years to take some pressure off Dirk, I doubt that the Hornets or Kings would want any part of this deal though.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Descriptive thread title. Very informative.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

All you have to do is click and scroll?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I read it in the actual article on the "other" site but I couldn't resist the ol' click and scroll in this thread, to find out what was so interesting. Thats why I typically always get Rick Roll'd. Now that I have said that, I probably will in this very thread now.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'd be all for Martin, but I don't see any way of getting him here while keeping the core in tact.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Martin is made out of paper mache. The dude couldn't stay healthy if he was playing in a non contact infant league.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

My worry about Martin isn't necessarily the chances of him getting injured again, everyone has the same chance of getting hurt on every given night. Just look at Ron Artest... The dude fell down the stairs.

If we're able to get him by moving Gooden, who we'd get back in a month, and expirings, I'm all for it. But if we're talking about moving JHo or even JJB, then I'd step back and think about it for a second. If JJB was included, I may still do it.

Btw, as far as I know, Martin has only had a groin injury, and the injury he has right now, right? That's not too injury prone, and none of them have been severe season ending injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Btw, as far as I know, Martin has only had a groin injury, and the injury he has right now, right? That's not too injury prone, and none of them have been severe season ending injuries.
Well, he has played 70+ games 2 out of his 6 year career. He hasn't played in 70+ games since the 06-07 season.

He is very injury prone.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Well, he has played 70+ games 2 out of his 6 year career. He hasn't played in 70+ games since the 06-07 season.

He is very injury prone.
But his first years, he was on the bench just due to being a rookie. I mean, look at us with Roddy, he was selected in the same time in the draft as Martin (The low to mid 20's), and he's not getting many games. But people in the future won't look at this in retrospect and say "Roddy played barely any games in his first two years, he's injury prone".

I'm researching Martin right now, trying to solidify us Mavs fans statements that he's injury prone, but at the moment, I've only found 2 injuries, including his current one. Maybe I'm just doing poor research and haven't found the said numerous amounts of injuries that we are referencing.

I will keep looking, but so far I haven't found much. If you could link me to info about any other injuries other than the two we've mentioned, I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take Martin in a heartbeat for expirings. Of course any trade that I'd do in a heartbeat is probably extremely unlikely.

As for the injury question: count the number of games he's missed because of injury. Counting how many games he played of all possible is deceptive and does nothing to show how injury prone he is. For instance Martin only played 45 games in his rookie season averaging 10mpg. Is that because of injury? I dont see a single report of injury that kept him out of a game. He missed 37 games because he was an inconsistent rookie.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-30-2009 at 05:58 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Martin is made out of paper mache. The dude couldn't stay healthy if he was playing in a non contact infant league.
I respect Kevin Martin. He's only 185 pounds yet he isn't afraid to take it to the rack on players bigger than him. The problem is that because of his skinny frame he tends to get hurt quite a bit. He'd still be a great player here if we didn't have to give up to much for him. He's already a proven 20+ Point scorer, but what I like about him is his efficiency. This guy takes good shots, and consistently tries his best to get to the FT line. If he was here in Dallas I think he'd be an all-star. He'd be getting good looks from Kidd, he'd get good looks from the attention placed on Dirk, and he's a good ball handler and we don't have a lot of those on our team.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
Nowitzki4President

Exactly what I was trying to say, Erica, if I can call you that. You just said it in a more intellectual way than I did. The guy wasn't missing games early on due to injury, but due to inexperience and it being his rookie year after all.

I just don't want this "Gooden Chip" thing to be blown out of proportion and have nothing come from it. I still have blue balls from the Buck Shot disappointment

Quote:
Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #19
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I'm not sure about trading JJB yet since Roddy doesn't look like he's ready to be a full time back up yet and I'm not even thinking about Terry trying to play full time back up PG, as for Kevin Martin....if the Mavs have a chance to get him they NEED to do because the guy would take some much pressure off Dirk.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
I'm not sure about trading JJB yet since Roddy doesn't look like he's ready to be a full time back up yet and I'm not even thinking about Terry trying to play full time back up PG, as for Kevin Martin....if the Mavs have a chance to get him they NEED to do because the guy would take some much pressure off Dirk.
You gotta be kidding me. Barea that much better than Terry? Kevin Martin could handle the ball some in the backup anyways when Terry is in the game. I think we gotta do it. Roddy needs some opportunities as well.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

I wonder how much Dlord really thinks Martin would help the Mavs. I have heard mixed reviews.
If we can somehow get that deal off maybe then trade Josh for Camby.

Kidd/JJ
Martin/Jet
Marion/TT
Dirk/Gooded(after he gets waived)
Camby/Damp

BEAT LA
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Just scrolled through the thread real fast so sorry if this was posted already, but a completely unrelated report today also saying that the Hornets may be forced to part with West, whether they like it or not:

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...to_move_west/#
Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 AM   #23
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
You gotta be kidding me. Barea that much better than Terry? Kevin Martin could handle the ball some in the backup anyways when Terry is in the game. I think we gotta do it. Roddy needs some opportunities as well.
There's a reason why Terry was moved to SG and not PG anymore, Terry role on the Mavs is to add instant offense coming off the bench with JJB doing all the play calling duties, if the Mavs trade JJB then Terry is gonna go back to trying to play PG when he play's better a SG that's why I wouldn't trade JJB just yet, Roddy was looking great in the minutes he was giving but Rick Carlisle sent him back to the bench without even knowing if he can be Kidd's back up yet.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 AM   #24
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
I wonder how much Dlord really thinks Martin would help the Mavs. I have heard mixed reviews.
If we can somehow get that deal off maybe then trade Josh for Camby.

Kidd/JJ
Martin/Jet
Marion/TT
Dirk/Gooded(after he gets waived)
Camby/Damp
I still have zero appeal for camby and am shocked everytime I here someone mention him as a potential target. Isn't this guy always hurt? I'm not attacking you, just curious as to what about him appeals to you? he's not the shot blocker he once was, and i think damp right now has more offense than the guy

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:15 AM   #25
badfish22
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
I still have zero appeal for camby and am shocked everytime I here someone mention him as a potential target. Isn't this guy always hurt? I'm not attacking you, just curious as to what about him appeals to you? he's not the shot blocker he once was, and i think damp right now has more offense than the guy
There are two things I think the Mavs need in order to win a ring:
1. A consistent #2 scorer to go along with Dirk. Pau Gasol and Kevin Garnett compliment their stars as they have shown they can be a #1 option on a team. Dirk doesn't have someone that could do that. Could Kevin Martin?
2. Another 7 foot guy we can throw out there to go against the Lakers big man rotation. Marcus Camby sounds like a good fit here. Hes played in 29 games this year and has been playing well.
Plus Camby has an expiring contract.

BEAT LA
Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 AM   #26
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He may not be the shot blocker he once was but as for today he's 5th in the league in blocked shots and 4th in rebounding. Plus he's long, intimidating and can knock down the open mid range jump shot probably better than any center we have. Camby would be my dream move for this team. He was the reason I was hoping we could save our MLE. So we could money whip him if he ended up getting released. In retrospect Gooden was a decent use of it and kept us afloat when Damp went down. Still, I'd love to see Camby here this year if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #27
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1. A consistent #2 scorer to go along with Dirk. Pau Gasol and Kevin Garnett compliment their stars as they have shown they can be a #1 option on a team. Dirk doesn't have someone that could do that. Could Kevin Martin?
2. Another 7 foot guy we can throw out there to go against the Lakers big man rotation. Marcus Camby sounds like a good fit here. Hes played in 29 games this year and has been playing well.
this ^
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 AM   #28
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
point taken. very nice explanation. thanks dirno also

Old 12-31-2009, 03:27 AM   #29
badfish22
Golden Member

But it also looks like nothing will happen as Donnie is once again saying things like "we're looking to go with this group."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3ed2250.html

Maybe its for the best.....

BEAT LA
Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
He may not be the shot blocker he once was but as for today he's 5th in the league in blocked shots and 4th in rebounding. Plus he's long, intimidating and can knock down the open mid range jump shot probably better than any center we have. Camby would be my dream move for this team. He was the reason I was hoping we could save our MLE. So we could money whip him if he ended up getting released. In retrospect Gooden was a decent use of it and kept us afloat when Damp went down. Still, I'd love to see Camby here this year if the opportunity presents itself.
Yup. A Damp/Camby rotation would be unreal.

Honestly though I think people need to come to grips with the idea that Gooden is probably not going to get moved at this point. Maybe towards the deadline as a regular expiring contract.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well Gooden has earned a get out of jail free card after that Denver win imo. He did exactly what he was acquired to do. He and Damp destroyed them. I think his main flaw is the moronic double teaming. I'm not sure what is going through his head when he does that, but it costs points for sure. But man, when he gets groovin' it might just be worth keeping. Hard to give up on tough nosed players who give decent effort.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #32
quietsavant

I dream of a west/nowitzki frontcourt

Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, with their great D...Dirk needs someone good on D next to him!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #34
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

A 42% volume shooter that takes more than 55% of his shots from >16 feet away, and doesn't play defense, and has a bad contract, and is injury prone?

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?!

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
A 42% volume shooter that takes more than 55% of his shots from >16 feet away, and doesn't play defense, and has a bad contract, and is injury prone?

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?!
Say what?

Are you talking about Kevin Martin here? Volume shooter? I'm confused.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-31-2009 at 04:01 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #36
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
I dream of a west/nowitzki frontcourt
That's a nightmare for me. I hate David West with all my heart.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 PM   #37
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Say what?

Are you talking about Kevin Martin here? Volume shooter? I'm confused.
Was he talking about West? That doesn't sound one bit like Kevin Martin.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #38
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
There's a reason why Terry was moved to SG and not PG anymore, Terry role on the Mavs is to add instant offense coming off the bench with JJB doing all the play calling duties, if the Mavs trade JJB then Terry is gonna go back to trying to play PG when he play's better a SG that's why I wouldn't trade JJB just yet, Roddy was looking great in the minutes he was giving but Rick Carlisle sent him back to the bench without even knowing if he can be Kidd's back up yet.
Having a quality 2 guard is worth moving Terry to the point guard off the bench. Terry as a 2 guard is slightly better for our offense but we lose size on defense due to it. And Kevin Martin can help out Terry in the ball handling area when he is in the game. I think having a quality 2 is what we've been missing. We got the pure point guard, athletic SF, and great shooting power forward that spreads out the defense, and a paint clogging center. All we need is a versatile 2 that can hit 3's and score. And Roddy showed no sign of struggling when he was in the game. It had more to due with too many point guards.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 12-31-2009 at 06:45 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote