Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mahinmi

Quote:
For those who think that say Rick Carlisle does not like or trust all young players, I give you Ian Mahinmi. Sure, coaches have been known to stray away from younger players but that might be due to the fact they just have not shown the ability to be trusted or dependable in a game situation when the minutes matter. Mahinmi has won over the coaching staff, especially Carlisle, over the course of the season. Carlisle has raved over the work the big man has delivered on a daily basis in practice and his ability to be ready for backup center minutes at the drop of a hat. A new wrinkle has been added over the last two games, Mahinmi is getting minutes at the power forward position.

During the early stages of the season, Carlisle mentioned that Mahinmi was viewed as a center. So if that is the case, why the sudden shift towards throwing him at the power forward position? "It’s something different," said Carlisle. " I think it is something that we can continue to try to develop with him. I think it just expands his game and expands our possibilities. He’s one our best defenders and he’s one of our best rebounders. From time to time, we’ll look at it in games and in the meantime, we’re working on it in practice." That will definitely be music to the ears of my Mavericks Outsider Report Co-Host Rhylan Rowe. He has one major demand, "I need me some Mahinmi!"
read more at http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/1/...o-move-forward
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

One of our best defenders? When I first read this I was shaking my head and numbers cover me. Sample size is small but hell no.
Rebounding may apply. He gives us a lift on the offensive glass, but this seems to be easy for a young guy providing some energy on a team which has been outrebounded in the last 9 games and looking forward to make it 10 against a very solid rebounding team tonight.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

He is going to be a good rebounder and a pretty good scorer, still needs to work on his defense but I think he will be a good one, certainly an upgrade over Cardinal
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
BUMP
Banned

BUMP is an unknown quantity at this point

I really like his energy. His fresh legs and athleticism are perfect to frustrate a dominant low post player like Gasol and Duncan.

I think he can become a guy who's kind of a cross between Haslem and Ibaka
BUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not one who thinks that Ian has shown enough to be the second C or PF, but I do like him getting minutes at both positions, because he's shown enough for me to think that he brings a skill-set and style of play that no one else on the roster can duplicate, and because either the current primary backups at those positions have underperformed, or the team itself has underperformed with the current backups.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm not one who thinks that Ian has shown enough to be the second C or PF, but I do like him getting minutes at both positions, because he's shown enough for me to think that he brings a skill-set and style of play that no one else on the roster can duplicate, and because either the current primary backups at those positions have underperformed, or the team itself has underperformed with the current backups.
I agree.
It is good to see a project player developing in to something that could be a rotational player.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I was begging for just a few weeks ago. Glad to see Carlisle is finally giving him a chance.

I am a little surprised at the praise for Mahinmi's defense coming from Carlisle. Although he may have the tools to develop into a good defender, even I have to admit that he hasn't quite shown it on the court. His numbers aren't all that great on defense, and he doesn't seem to have great awareness on help defense. He seems to want to smother his man too much, which isn't the best tactic to take if you want to provide help defense. He also commits a lot of fouls, which is a bit of a problem.

Still, there's no reason you can't do like with Dirk when playing him at four. Hide him on the weaker offensive big man, and have Chandler/Haywood take the scarier option.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
DMOC

DMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of light

I have absolutely no problem with Mahinmi at PF.
DMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

So, Fin and I have been clamoring for this for weeks to the chagrin of certain posters who claimed "clearly" if he could play the 4, RC would play him there. Interesting...
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

He has a great at getting the O rebound.
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
So, Fin and I have been clamoring for this for weeks to the chagrin of certain posters who claimed "clearly" if he could play the 4, RC would play him there. Interesting...
Agreed. It never made sense for Carlisle not to play Ian at PF, especially when Dirk was injured, but people couldn't believe the coach that sees them practice everyday was making a mistake.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote