Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Mavs Are Who We Thought They Were

...and we let 'em off the hook!

I'm channeling Dennis Green, there, for you football fans.

I think the level of discourse and analysis has gone so pie-in-the-sky lately, that it might be time to step back and recognize exactly what we are dealing with here. There seems to be an implicit assumption that we are God's gift to basketball--or rather, that Dirk is--and that alone should be enough to park the O'Brien trophy down there in Victory Plaza. I wish that were the case. Oh, how I wish that. But let's get real.

Here's the lineup we rolled out there tonight:

5: Chandler - 40 minutes / Mahinmi - 8
4: Dirk - 42 / Peja 6
3: Marion - 43
2: Terry - 32 / Stevenson - 14
1: Kidd - 35 / Barea - 19

DNP: Cardinal (basically), Brewer, Beaubois

That's who we are, guys. That's who we are, and who they thought we were. The frontcourt is locked down, the three is basically Marion (God love him), and the backcourt is Stevenson and Barea combining to play that Brad Davis role to Harper and Blackman. That's who we are.

And it's not a bad thing! It was good enough to get us to the NBA Finals. That's our team. That is WHO we are. That is the Dallas Mavericks.

So it kills me to read "eff Peja" and "GTFO Barea" and "I hate you, Marion" and "Go to hell, Terry." Because that's...that's our team. That is who we are. Those guys are the Dallas Mavericks. And for all the armchair second-guessers of Coach Carlisle...if you don't like Peja or Barea, what else do you suggest? Cardinal or Brewer? Because those are the only options left.

I think...that some people don't realize that it is hard, to win a championship. That it does not come easy. That you win some and you lose some--that you have to lose some--and in the end you try to win more than you lose. That you fight, in a best-of-seven series, and that you aren't anywhere near done when you are down 2-1. I think people underestimate the heart of a champion. I think people underestimate the strength of a team. I think people have a lot more quit in them than they have a right to.

And I think that the Mavericks are nowhere NEAR done yet.

Last edited by chumdawg; 06-06-2011 at 01:29 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Play Kidd 38-40 minutes. Play Midget-Me 8-10.
Yes, play Brewer over Peja.

Pretty fucking simple, really.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

It just makes me jealous that they have this Great player in the game while we're resting our Great player, they never miss a beat. And the thing we cannot do is TURN THE BALL OVER.

Let's put it this way, when you turn the ball over, IT'S A HIGH FLYING DUNK most times. Jason Kidd is my man, but some of the turnover's he's had is just unthinkable. Even Dirk sometimes.

They did Get Dirk the ball at the top of the key and that's why the guy goes off in the 4th quarter, you know what, Dirk will make 8 of those shots out of 10, we were just unlucky there.

If Dallas wants to beat a power house big 3 team, we have to have all facets of our team in perfect working order starting with Haywood being on the floor when Chandler goes out. Followed by huge shots when they are available. We need Dirk's shooting coach to run brooms at all of the bench and other shooters just to let them know that these guys are faster, and more athletic but if you are sharp and concentrate better on your shot, you can still kill these guys.

I'm just so frustrated right now, but I will believe until the end.

Last edited by mavsjunkie; 06-06-2011 at 01:36 AM.
mavsjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree with the general sentiment. Way too many quitters around these parts, and way, way too many personal attacks against our own guys. But I do think we could potentially benefit from a minor rotation adjustment or two. We'll see.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Play Kidd 38-40 minutes. Play Midget-Me 8-10.
Yes, play Brewer over Peja.

Pretty fucking simple, really.
Your ass was first on the list.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I think Carlisle has to trust Stojakovic playing at the 3. He is way too reluctant to do that. I just don't like him overplaying Marion that much. We need the spacing.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

I wanna see Roddy and Brewer get some minutes.

I like Peja but I think he is just the worst match up possible vs. the Heats athleticism.

Last edited by OneLove22; 06-06-2011 at 02:27 AM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Honestly though we just have to hit our wide open shots and not give away stupid turnovers.

When we keep the Heat in half court I feel like we own them. I feel like we could sweep them without these little uncharacteristic mistakes.

I think we have the better roster we just have to play loose and win this thing.

Last edited by OneLove22; 06-06-2011 at 02:29 AM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post

I think the level of discourse and analysis has gone so pie-in-the-sky lately, that it might be time to step back and recognize exactly what we are dealing with here. There seems to be an implicit assumption that we are God's gift to basketball--or rather, that Dirk is--and that alone should be enough to park the O'Brien trophy down there in Victory Plaza. I wish that were the case. Oh, how I wish that. But let's get real.

That's who we are, guys. That's who we are, and who they thought we were. The frontcourt is locked down, the three is basically Marion (God love him), and the backcourt is Stevenson and Barea combining to play that Brad Davis role to Harper and Blackman. That's who we are.

And it's not a bad thing! It was good enough to get us to the NBA Finals. That's our team. That is WHO we are. That is the Dallas Mavericks.

So it kills me to read "eff Peja" and "GTFO Barea" and "I hate you, Marion" and "Go to hell, Terry." Because that's...that's our team. That is who we are. Those guys are the Dallas Mavericks. And for all the armchair second-guessers of Coach Carlisle...if you don't like Peja or Barea, what else do you suggest? Cardinal or Brewer? Because those are the only options left.

I think...that some people don't realize that it is hard, to win a championship. That it does not come easy. That you win some and you lose some--that you have to lose some--and in the end you try to win more than you lose. That you fight, in a best-of-seven series, and that you aren't anywhere near done when you are down 2-1. I think people underestimate the heart of a champion. I think people underestimate the strength of a team. I think people have a lot more quit in them than they have a right to.

Preach, bro. Let the fairweather folks leave if they want. These Mavericks are nowhere NEAR done.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

I think the Heat are just the better team. They play with the defensive intensity all game long that Dallas can only sustain for small stretches. Also, let's be honest here, Barea has been absolutely dreadful. He's gotten too confident from the Lakers series and has made some terrible decisions and the offense still runs through him when he's on the floor.

That Dirk turnover hurt big time, as did the missed fadeaway. I expect game 4 to be very tough as well.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

In the 144 minutes played in the Finals, the Mavs have had the lead approxiamately 4 minutes?

The Mavs are getting outplayed. They have to work so damn hard just to "stay close" with the Heat.

And that is with a miracle performance in 4th quarters by Dirk.

Last edited by Bayliss; 06-06-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
I wanna see Roddy and Brewer get some minutes.

I like Peja but I think he is just the worst match up possible vs. the Heats athleticism.
I'd give Barea and Peja the nod in Game 4, but if they come out looking as bad as they have lately, I'd definitely consider giving Brewer (and maybe even Roddy) some burn if faced with a 1-3 deficit.

Both Barea and Peja are somewhat of a liability on defense, but it's really the fact that their shots aren't sinking that makes them a negative on the floor. Peja is as cold as I've ever seen him and Barea is just making awful decisions with the ball. Giving Brewer some burn at the 3 would give us stronger defense and a different look on offense, but I'm not really sure if Roddy is going to make any less mistakes than Barea right now. Really, Barea just needs to remember that Dirk is on the court - more assists and less three-point attempts would fix a lot of what he's doing wrong...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Nicely done.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I've gotta spread some rep... but put simply, this post is GREAT!

The Mavs can lose the next two in blowout fashion, and I will STILL be incredibly proud of what we have done this post-season. That being said, however, I still think the Mavs have plenty left in the tank and they aint done yet. I picked the Mavs in 6 when the series began, and I'm not changing my pick.

If they win the next two (which is not unrealistic AT ALL) and they are right where I thought they'd be, and they've got two chances to close out the Heat on the road.

The only thing more embarrassing than all the give up on this forum is the amount of hate that some of our "fans" dish out to all the players who have helped us turn in the most amazing season in Mavs history. Its pathetic, it really is...
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
I think Carlisle has to trust Stojakovic playing at the 3. He is way too reluctant to do that. I just don't like him overplaying Marion that much. We need the spacing.
I think you have a point, but I also believe that he doesn't have much of a choice because we are behind so much. He can't let the game get away from us, but he may have no choice.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd give Barea and Peja the nod in Game 4, but if they come out looking as bad as they have lately, I'd definitely consider giving Brewer (and maybe even Roddy) some burn if faced with a 1-3 deficit.

Both Barea and Peja are somewhat of a liability on defense, but it's really the fact that their shots aren't sinking that makes them a negative on the floor. Peja is as cold as I've ever seen him and Barea is just making awful decisions with the ball. Giving Brewer some burn at the 3 would give us stronger defense and a different look on offense, but I'm not really sure if Roddy is going to make any less mistakes than Barea right now. Really, Barea just needs to remember that Dirk is on the court - more assists and less three-point attempts would fix a lot of what he's doing wrong...
Agreed with this. At this point, they need to be on a short leash, but you still gotta put them out there and see what they can do.

Agree completely about Barea. He's been great at times during this run, but he needs to settle it down a little and realize that while he can be great at times, Dirk is the stud on our team. Dirk is the hero. I'm tired of hero plays from Barea.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

I saw a lot of people on this board giving up after game 3. Hell a lot of them were calling for a sweep if we had lost game 2. Seriously guys? It's a 7 game series and this is the Dallas Mavericks. A hungry, determined veteran team. I am confident Dirk and Kidd is going to restore the hunger once again. All the people who wanted to called Dallas soft is getting that chance, well you know what, fuck them. They have no idea what we are capable of and they will see.

Everything regarding JJB has already been said.

Who I'm really shocked at is Peja. When they show him on the bench, he looks do dejected and lost. Get some fucking energy dude, holy shit. This your first NBA finals! Make the most of it, be confident! He has been an offense and defense liability and that's not the Peja we know.

I don't mind seeing Brewer, but I still think we should give Peja a chance. Sooner or later he will have to wake up, hopefully sooner. I seriously hope Dirk and Kidd smacks some talk into our bench, because they have been more then awful this entire series. If our bench can get their heads out of their asses we will be stomp this sorry ass Miami team.

On to Game 4 baby and I expect our bench to perform on a high level.
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

I'm usually against throwing in a player (Roddy) at this stage and it would feel a bit desperate, but what do we have to lose by playing Roddy instead of Peja? Really, what do we have to lose without Peja in this series?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas View Post
I'm usually against throwing in a player (Roddy) at this stage and it would feel a bit desperate, but what do we have to lose by playing Roddy instead of Peja? Really, what do we have to lose without Peja in this series?
When your backs are against the wall, you have to start revealing all your cards. Roddy and Brewer are in our back pockets. Brewer gives us length, Roddy gives a guy who can get to the bucket.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

I don't think Roddy could help us, I think at this point he would be a defensive liability, however I do think brewer could help us on both ends of the floor
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

The real problem with Peja this series isn't that he's "cold." That's bound to happen when he can't stay on the floor for more than 2-3 minutes at a time because there's no one for him to D up. That's really the issue. Miami's defense is good, but they're not shutting him down. The problem is we haven't been able to keep him out there long enough to get into a rhythm.

Spiral really called it pre-series. He said there'd be no place for Peja because there's no one for him to guard (he's not the only one who said this, of course). So far, it's been 100% true. The Heat are going right at him the second he comes in.

Also, I think the chances of Roddy playing this series are nonexistent. Brewer is substantially more likely to get some burn, though.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that losing a one possession game in the Finals is the time to start figuring out how you can work in a player who hasn't been in the rotation all playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
robo98564

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm not sure that losing a one possession game in the Finals is the time to start figuring out how you can work in a player who hasn't been in the rotation all playoffs.
Agreed, no need to freak out. I do think thought that Peja and Barea both need to have a shorter leash. I love Barea, but he's been driving me NUTS in this series.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I hear you, but don't you get the feeling that we've been hanging on by a thread this whole series?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #25
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Of course we could use those guys but the reality is, we JUST HAVE TO MAKE SHOTS. Simple as that
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
LonghornDub

Quote:
I hear you, but don't you get the feeling that we've been hanging on by a thread this whole series?
Probably a bit of an overstatement. They've definitely appeared the weaker team for the majority of the court time, but they also had 8+ point leads in both Miami games. I did feel like they were hanging by a thread most of last night, though. That's what happens when you are constantly in a hole and trying to dig yourself out of it.

Regardless, hanging by a thread or not, the answer isn't to play Roddy. He's not even fully healthy, the stage is too big, and he hasn't played in two months.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
I don't think Roddy could help us, I think at this point he would be a defensive liability, however I do think brewer could help us on both ends of the floor
If Roddy is a defensive liability, what is Peja? Add Peja's careless turnovers and lack of shot making and I'm not sure what you have to lose.

I realize that Roddy would often dominate the ball when he used to play, so I realize it's a question of him being able to be a floor spacer. We probably wouldn't want him dominating the ball (unless maybe when Dirk is out).

Again, I'm not saying Roddy is the answer or offers us anything, but I don't see what we'd have to lose.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #28
ajk822

ajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really niceajk822 is just really nice

I guess the people giving up are forgetting the old saying "When you win a game in a playoff series it feels like you're never going to lose again and when you lose a game it feels like you're never going to win again."

Dirk hits that shot, we go to OT, we win the game, does everyone freak out? No.

He missed, but he gave himself a chance to miss in the first place. I'm encouraged by that game. The first two felt like they were better, this one did not. We're due to play a good game, and Dirk's due for a huge game. We get game four, it's best of 3, and we already showed we can beat them at home.

Lets go.

Anyone else here have the same number of rings as Lebron James? Because I know I do
ajk822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #29
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
If Roddy is a defensive liability, what is Peja? Add Peja's careless turnovers and lack of shot making and I'm not sure what you have to lose.
I agree Peja is a defensive liability if he is not hitting his shots, but if he is hitting his shots we could easily go up by 10, and RC obviously trust Peja over Roddy and Brewer....me personally I would still roll with Peja and evaluate his minutes, if he is playing bad then I would give Brewer those minutes.

Last edited by Mav Addict; 06-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

T-H-I-S.

The psychology of this thing ain't good right now, but it's certainly not worse than after Game 4 in Portland and is probably more comparable to after Game 2 of the OKC series. Sure, the Heat defense is the toughest we've seen in the playoffs, but that is not the whole story. Outside of Dirk, we've got a lot of cold shooters right now, and that situation can turn around. We win Game 4 and we've essentially righted the ship. This thing is far from over.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I realize that Roddy would often dominate the ball when he used to play, so I realize it's a question of him being able to be a floor spacer. We probably wouldn't want him dominating the ball (unless maybe when Dirk is out).

Again, I'm not saying Roddy is the answer or offers us anything, but I don't see what we'd have to lose.
What?

Roddy is a 1/2, Peja is a 3/4...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #32
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Any lineup changes at this point is crazy talk anyway, not to mention a sign of desperation....Avery did that And was crucified and so will RC

Last edited by Mav Addict; 06-06-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

The only lineup change i'd be ok with seeing is brewer getting a chance - marion is doing a good job on lebron, but kidd needs some help on wade. give a few minutes to brewer, see how he does.

Agree that roddy is not the answer to anything right now.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #34
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

It's too late to mess with the rotation now, but brewer should have had a spot in the rotation all along. He's never played as poorly as some players have the last few games.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #35
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
The only lineup change i'd be ok with seeing is brewer getting a chance - marion is doing a good job on lebron, but kidd needs some help on wade. give a few minutes to brewer, see how he does.

Agree that roddy is not the answer to anything right now.
Unless the question is, Who is that guy that was supposed to make such a difference on this team,the guy who is able to give Kidd some rest at the PG and break down defenses at the SG?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #36
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Unless the question is, Who is that guy that was supposed to make such a difference on this team,the guy who is able to give Kidd some rest at the PG and break down defenses at the SG?
key word in bold.

i definitely think roddy can be something for this team. but not right now.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #37
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Win game 4 and watch everyone jump back on this wagon. This is the first series we've played in a LOOOONNNGGG time that has been a big back and forth. (I can't remember when really)

The same people quitting on the Mavs are the people who turned the channel in Game 4 of the Thunder series and Game 2 of this series. I will never turn the TV off until they start interviewing the player from the other team and the buzzer sounds. Last night it went off when Wade started to talk.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #38
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie View Post
It just makes me jealous that they have this Great player in the game while we're resting our Great player, they never miss a beat. And the thing we cannot do is TURN THE BALL OVER.

They did Get Dirk the ball at the top of the key and that's why the guy goes off in the 4th quarter, you know what, Dirk will make 8 of those shots out of 10, we were just unlucky there.

I'm just so frustrated right now, but I will believe until the end.
Yea, wasn't depth the issue with Miami after the signings of the big 3 and Miller/Haslem. Just like the MJ led Bulls, it's going to be Wade-LBJ and 3 old farts for the next 5-6 years. The Bulls didn't have an answer for LBJ, so they rode that horse to the end. Now the Mavs don't have an answer for Wade, so Game 2 aside, they've ridden that horse and probably will to the end.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #39
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Miami has 2 superstars and an all star. We just have one superstar. At some point, that begins to work in their favor. When Dirk leaves the floor, there is really no one out there to trust to pick the slack up.

If one of them has an off night, the others usually pick up the slack. Dirk basically can not afford to even have an average night, much less an off night.

They have much more room for error than we do after watching these first 3 games.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post
Miami has 2 superstars and an all star. We just have one superstar. At some point, that begins to work in their favor. When Dirk leaves the floor, there is really no one out there to trust to pick the slack up.

If one of them has an off night, the others usually pick up the slack. Dirk basically can not afford to even have an average night, much less an off night.

They have much more room for error than we do after watching these first 3 games.
Dirks average night is a stellar night for our supporting cast. Thats the problem, it's not Dirk...aside from the turnover with :35-ish seconds left last night. I agree with the margin of error, Kidd just has to be a little more careful out there.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote