Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT 01/21/2012: Mavs @ the Voodoo-Temple: The jinxed the Jasons, but we survived it!

Typo in the title, myself also got jinxed I guess...

Statistical observations:

- @dallasmavs win against the Hornets 92.91 to 90.68 pp100, finish with 2nd highest Fastbreak Points for season (29.11 pp100)
- Mavs give up five AND1s, tied for second most in the season.
- 4th quarter meltdown was 2nd worst in season (-42.85), Dallas gives up season-high 133.32 DefEff.

- New starting unit got it done outscoring NOH 38-24 on 75.48 DefEff, bench not so much. Roddy/JET backcourt got outscored 22-32 on 123.80
- Haywood also worked better than Ian & Wright, got majority of time in the middle.
- +/- goes to Jason Kidd at +57.63, Effs with him: 96.27 to 77.33. Whole starting unit obviously with good numbers here.

- Wright again explodes in limited minutes, overall best player is Delonte with PER 25.3 and team-leads in WS48/WP48
- Roddy, Marion solid 2nd in these metrics, Haywood also notable, but no love for the Jasons. Both negative WS48/WP48 and low PER (Kidd: -2.1)

- Mavs once again can't hit from long range, now rank 26th in 3FG% with 30.25
- Dallas is now 3rd in DefEff, Opp. Shot Distance, Opp. Points in the Paint and Defensive Rebounding, 6th in forcing turnover
- When adjusting for strength of schedule Dallas remains 7th on Defense, 22nd on Offense and 14th overall.

Glad West played 34 minutes, he was our best player tonight.
As long as both Dirk and Carter are out, it seems we're seeing a lot of 3-guard-lineups, because nobody can really backup Marion.

The Jasons continue to underperform, again several bonehead-plays (What's up with all these long passes lately?). And yeah, the buzzer-beater of Terry with 2 seconds or so on the shotclock was atrocious.
I thought Roddy didn't play too well, but comes away strong in the advanced metrics again and somehow no turnover for him (Mahinmi bailout FTW!). Roddy, Marion, Haywood and in particular West engineered the win tonight, Kidd and Terry did hurt, although they closed the whole thing out.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-21-2012 at 11:38 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Nice stats.

So glad to win in N.O. We've been cursed since Peja hit that BS 3 against us at the end of regulation in 2007.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Typo in the title, myself also got jinxed I guess...

Statistical observations:

- @dallasmavs win against the Hornets 92.91 to 90.68 pp100, finish with 2nd highest Fastbreak Points for season (29.11 pp100)
- Mavs give up five AND1s, tied for second most in the season.
- 4th quarter meltdown was 2nd worst in season (-42.85), Dallas gives up season-high 133.32 DefEff.

- New starting unit got it done outscoring NOH 38-24 on 75.48 DefEff, bench not so much. Roddy/JET backcourt got outscored 22-32 on 123.80
- Haywood also worked better than Ian & Wright, got majority of time in the middle.
- +/- goes to Jason Kidd at +57.63, Effs with him: 96.27 to 77.33. Whole starting unit obviously with good numbers here.

- Wright again explodes in limited minutes, overall best player is Delonte with PER 25.3 and team-leads in WS48/WP48
- Roddy, Marion solid 2nd in these metrics, Haywood also notable, but no love for the Jasons. Both negative WS48/WP48 and low PER (Kidd: -2.1)

- Mavs once again can't hit from long range, now rank 26th in 3FG% with 30.25
- Dallas is now 3rd in DefEff, Opp. Shot Distance, Opp. Points in the Paint and Defensive Rebounding, 6th in forcing turnover
- When adjusting for strength of schedule Dallas remains 7th on Defense, 22nd on Offense and 14th overall.

Glad West played 34 minutes, he was our best player tonight.
As long as both Dirk and Carter are out, it seems we're seeing a lot of 3-guard-lineups, because nobody can really backup Marion.

The Jasons continue to underperform, again several bonehead-plays (What's up with all these long passes lately?). And yeah, the buzzer-beater of Terry with 2 seconds or so on the shotclock was atrocious.
I thought Roddy didn't play too well, but comes away strong in the advanced metrics again and somehow no turnover for him (Mahinmi bailout FTW!). Roddy, Marion, Haywood and in particular West engineered the win tonight, Kidd and Terry did hurt, although they closed the whole thing out.
Wright and delonte were the best thing that came out of tonight. Jet/jkiddo won't continue to shoot like that. (jet for sure, jkiddo???).

The team is a scrambling bunch and wood has been good. Carlisle has his center position working right now.

Odom...he played like an nba player about half of the time.. However these 4 days without dirk...hopefully should get him into it. He had some aggressive plays. Sooner or later he will have to embrace this team and begin to feel responsible for it. I hope the next few games when the team has to rely on him he will become a part of it. If not, it is going to be a frustrating year.

Roddy wasn't great and he wasn't bad. But..he played like an nba player out there I thought. It was consistent with his previous game. It was solid which is really good for roddy right now. Almost mundane. I liked it, it almost seemed more solid because it was so within the game.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-22-2012 at 01:42 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

that looked like a college game...
Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Our defense is just awesome. We had that bad stretch in the fourth, but otherwise were shut them down. Can't wait to see how look once we figure out the offense.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Nice game by Lammy 16 big points.it's nice to see

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
that looked like a college game...
I share that sentiment. Especially in the first half it looked completely wild and out of hand. Everybody was just scrambling on defense, gambling on Steals, closed out way too hard and opened up lanes.

On O we pushed the ball every single time. Irritating, because that's normally not out game.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Kidd and Terry have to wake up right now.
Kidd again with 34 minutes, Roddy only 17.
Marion and West were our best players at this trip.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

I keep waiting on Odom to do something. I figured he's still in L.A. or something. The more I watch him though the more I'm thinking this guy just isn't that good. His offensive game consists of a very inconsistent 3 ball and driving to the hoop and attempting a running floater with the defender still all in his grill. He doesn't have the speed to turn the corner on guys, doesn't use his body well to get separation, no craftiness to his game. Even when he got fouled and went to the line those post moves were atrocious. Footwork was awkward and he really never had control of his body. He looks like a JAG as Bill Parcells would say (just a guy).
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Odom looked good to me last night, I don't know why everyone seems to think he played so badly. Yes, he took a few bad shots but he looks more comfortable with each game. Something I notice is that every time Odom gets the ball the other guys start clearing out for him. I don't think that is by design. I would like to see guys setting more screens for Odom, and guys moving around when he has the ball. He's a gifted passer so he'll definitely find them. Also, I want to see Odom himself cutting more. There are so many ways in which "Lammy" can help the team, and I think people will be impressed with his play in the next few games.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Sooooo. 10 posts in a PGT…. I guess very few people wanted to talk about that game. After I watched it I can see why. Let's start some discussion.

A few things:
1 - Roddy has a great knack for getting blocks and then recovering the ball. I love sure-handed players. Players for whom the ball seems to stick to their hands on rebounds/loose balls. Others on the team with this skill: West, Ian, Marion, Odom, Kidd.

2 - Our team offensive efficiency is down because we have no one who is ultra-efficient like a healthy Dirk. Getting into the playoffs with the efficient Dirk is our #1 priority. Without Carter/Dirk our post-ups include… well, Marion. Everything else is off the dribble, PnR, or down screens to get someone open under the basket. As long as Dirk/Carter are out we have to depend on our guards to make things happen in the half court.

3 - Is the coaching staff trying to emphasize Haywood in transition/as the roll man? I've noticed a lot more passes to Haywood in the past few games. The results, without stats, seem to suggest that unless it's wide open the passes should go somewhere else. Anyone else seeing this?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Win was needed but not pretty. I really like Roddy on the defensive end, on Offense he has to be more decisive with the ball. Odom looked solid, Marion is really on a roll right now!

Kidd could hit a shot at times...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I still can't get over Jason Terry shooting a 3 at the end of the 1st half even though he had a wide open path to the basket. That was such a dumb basketball play. Look how close the game was towards the end, we could've used those 2 points. Sorry for complaining folks, but something about that play is just really annoying.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

re-watched the game today after a long nights work and one person stood out to me. haywood!! he's been on a nice little streak lately, being aggressive playing good D, Rebounding, blocks, boxing out people, and even making free throws. he's playing with alot of confidence and i hope he can keep this up the rest of the season. good overall game without VC and Dirk
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
redzwestisbest

redzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
Sooooo. 10 posts in a PGT…. I guess very few people wanted to talk about that game. After I watched it I can see why. Let's start some discussion.

A few things:
1 - Roddy has a great knack for getting blocks and then recovering the ball. I love sure-handed players. Players for whom the ball seems to stick to their hands on rebounds/loose balls. Others on the team with this skill: West, Ian, Marion, Odom, Kidd.

2 - Our team offensive efficiency is down because we have no one who is ultra-efficient like a healthy Dirk. Getting into the playoffs with the efficient Dirk is our #1 priority. Without Carter/Dirk our post-ups include… well, Marion. Everything else is off the dribble, PnR, or down screens to get someone open under the basket. As long as Dirk/Carter are out we have to depend on our guards to make things happen in the half court.

3 - Is the coaching staff trying to emphasize Haywood in transition/as the roll man? I've noticed a lot more passes to Haywood in the past few games. The results, without stats, seem to suggest that unless it's wide open the passes should go somewhere else. Anyone else seeing this?
Delonte can post up..did it plenty of times with the Cavs and Celtics. He just needs to play someone that isn't too much taller than he is.
redzwestisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
I'm sorry but I still can't get over Jason Terry shooting a 3 at the end of the 1st half even though he had a wide open path to the basket. That was such a dumb basketball play. Look how close the game was towards the end, we could've used those 2 points. Sorry for complaining folks, but something about that play is just really annoying.
Good grief, it was a bang, bang play. You and Harper "think" he could have gotten to the basket but you surely do not know that. I think it's really easy to make decisions when you re sitting at home or broadcasting.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Good grief, it was a bang, bang play. You and Harper "think" he could have gotten to the basket but you surely do not know that. I think it's really easy to make decisions when you re sitting at home or broadcasting.
Are you serious?? I have no doubt that he could've gotten a better shot then the one he took. Go re-watch that play dude. I don't understand how you defend some of these things.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Terry's shot will come back eventually, but I think he has gone away from playmaking. Has taken more shots while his assists are way down over the last two games.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

That's what JET does. How many times has he gotten within 15ft of the rim and just pulled up and shot. Even when the Mavs have numbers he'll do that. More often than not its all net. JET is money. If he would of hit the bottom of the net you'd say what an awesome play that was. JET is the only guy I'd give a free pass on those shots just cause he makes them with regularity.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Complaining about very good jump shooters shooting wide-open jump shots is hilarious.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Complaining about very good jump shooters shooting wide-open jump shots is hilarious.
I'm not complaining about a very good jump shooter shooting wide-open jump shots. My complaint is that he could've gotten a better shot.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not complaining about a very good jump shooter shooting wide-open jump shots. My complaint is that he could've gotten a better shot.
What shot do you think he should have taken? I didn't think there was any way he could've made it to the basket for a layup. What you have to realize there is that JET's efg% on a wide open three pointer like that is almost certainly at least comparable to, if not superior to his efg% on the two-point jumper that he could have taken 5-10 feet closer to the basket. Maybe I'm underestimating how close he could have gotten to the basket, but if it's a choice between an open three and an open midrange jumper I'll take the open three just about every time (end of game situations where you only need two points being the obvious exception).
Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #23
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...which means you are complaining about a very good jumpshooter shooting a wide-open three-pointer.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
What shot do you think he should have taken? I didn't think there was any way he could've made it to the basket for a layup. What you have to realize there is that JET's efg% on a wide open three pointer like that is almost certainly at least comparable to, if not superior to his efg% on the two-point jumper that he could have taken 5-10 feet closer to the basket. Maybe I'm underestimating how close he could have gotten to the basket, but if it's a choice between an open three and an open midrange jumper I'll take the open three just about every time (end of game situations where you only need two points being the obvious exception).
Man, I certainly disagree with you there. He was close to full speed and hit the three point line with two seconds to go. I felt pretty positive after looking at the replay that he could have laid it in.

I'm not real up in arms about it, but I thought he settled for the long shot. Which he's been doing a lot during his slump.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The time was running down so I'm not sure he could've gotten all the way to the basket. However, I do feel he could've at least gotten a floater. He's been in a slump lately so a close range shot probably would him a bit. And if my memory serves me correct he also had Roddy on the break with him. I just feel like he had better options than just pulling up and missing a 3.

I know the circumstances were different but look at this scenario : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8ex...eature=related
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Are you serious?? I have no doubt that he could've gotten a better shot then the one he took. Go re-watch that play dude. I don't understand how you defend some of these things.
If you are talking about a 10-15 footer..maybe but if I understand it those are tough as well. I'd have to see a video..

Where was the defender, would he have closed?
I thought roddy was there for a rebound but I think time ran out while the ball was in the air, so it was pretty dang close.

I also did not think there were two seconds left...but unless he could get there for a layup, I have no problem with jet taking a wide open three pointer with the clock running down.

And I certainly do not think that the decision is indefensable. Jet, Nash, dirkster have hit tons of shots like that.

Last edited by dude1394; 01-22-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
The time was running down so I'm not sure he could've gotten all the way to the basket. However, I do feel he could've at least gotten a floater. He's been in a slump lately so a close range shot probably would him a bit. And if my memory serves me correct he also had Roddy on the break with him. I just feel like he had better options than just pulling up and missing a 3.

I know the circumstances were different but look at this scenario : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8ex...eature=related
Man that looks like a heck of a lot more difficult shot than a wide open three that jet has practiced possibly a million times"

Last edited by dude1394; 01-22-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Man, I certainly disagree with you there. He was close to full speed and hit the three point line with two seconds to go. I felt pretty positive after looking at the replay that he could have laid it in.

I'm not real up in arms about it, but I thought he settled for the long shot. Which he's been doing a lot during his slump.
Well, I only saw it when it happened, so I might be wrong about the kind of shot he could have gotten. If you've seen replays and disagree, then I'll defer to you on that one. If a layup was in play, then obviously that would have been the better option.

That said, I'm somewhat disinclined to think that JET would have pulled up for the three if *he* was at all confident that he could get to the rim. If I'm correct in thinking that, then I'd argue my defense of his shot selection stands, even if he and I are potentially united in making a bad read of the game clock. Of course I'm saying this assuming that you disagree only about the kinds of shots he could have gotten, and not about the value of a three as opposed to a midrange two in that situation.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #29
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Any word on Kidd? Was at the game and he looked like he was hampered. Could've sworn I seen him limping on more than one occasion. Problem is, Dallas needs him on the floor for 25+...even if he is shooting horrendous. I don't think I've ever seen someone miss so many shots so badly. A good portion weren't even close. So any word?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Jet as a scorer shooting guard is not really that known for his shot selection. I didn't see this play but if would not be a real shock if it was not the best available one. He can play smart basketball but he often plays as if he were not issued a brain at birth.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote