Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's Move On

Let's be honest with ourselves. It's time to look ahead and usher in a new era.

After winning the club's first championship in 2011, we had the chance to:

A) Bring back most of the squad and defend the title or
B) Sign one-year deals and play for 2012/13 and beyond

There is just no way for us to quantify that B) was the wrong decision. Today, looking back on what has transpired, sure, it looks grim and honestly, it downright sucks. We got swept in the first round in 2012 then we lost out on all of the marquee free agents this summer. It sucks, I get it. But it's time for us to move on and quickly build another team that can earn 12 straight playoff appearances. We don't want to be the next Sacramento Kings. What's done is done. We lost out on Deron. We didn't give Dirk a superstar to play with so he can naturally and organically morph into the team's #2. We lost JET, Odom and Azubuikie, we may lose Ian, Cardinal, and Yi, Roddy hasn't panned out, Dojo is a bust. It goes on and on. Like I said, it sucks. There's no point in crying/complaining about it now.

If I'm not mistaken, for the 2012/13 season, we currently have 7 guys under contract + 3 rookies + the potential of bringing back Kidd and West.

Current:
Beaubois
Carter/Jones
Marion
Dirk/Wright
Haywood

Rookies:
PG/SG Jared Cunningham
PF/C Bernard James
SF/PF Jae Crowder

Re-signing:
Jason Kidd
Delonte West

It's obvious we aren't going to be contending for a championship next year. This is why I'm questioning the MBT's decision to bring back Kidd. Is it just out of respect and loyalty? It's not like he was recruiting Deron to be a Maverick for us. Don't get me wrong, I love Kidd and he's done so much for the league and for this organization in particular. But the guy missed half of last season and will only continue to miss more games. I'm upset that we lost out on Deron, and I'll be upset again if we bring back Kidd. If he signs for the minimum, sure. But I don't want him taking a huge chunk of our cap this year as well as next year. I'm sorry.

In my opinion, it's time to go young and rebuild. I understand that Dirk deserves better but the truth of the matter is we swung and missed this off-season, there's no "better" out there right now. If the Rockets sign Lin, I would like for us to go after Lowry. He has grown disenfranchised with the Rockets and he hates Kevin Mchale. Don't forget that before his injury, he was playing at an all-star level. Of course, I don't see Houston helping out an in-state, in-conference rival, so this may be wishful thinking. Ramon Sessions is now available since he want's a starting gig (he would get that here).

Delonte is a must. He has been great for our team, our organization, and our fans. He brings it every night. I wouldn't mind going into the season with a 3 guard tandem of Delonte/Roddy/Cunningham. Roddy will, once and for all, get his final chance to showcase his ability and if he doesn't succeed, he's relatively cheap anyways.

Remember, the key is to not overpay for guys and handcuff our team for next year. Again, I realize it sucks to say this but we have to look forward to the free agents of 2013 and go at it again next summer.

As for the two guard spot, we are bringing Vince back and Delonte can play the two some as well. We are probably going to bring in a veteran to fill out the roster -- Realistically, I'm looking at guys such as, Danny Green, Kirk Hinrich, Courtney Lee, Carlos Delfino, Pietrus, CJ Miles, or Brandon Rush. EG is getting max money so he's out of the equation, Batum looks to be going to Minnesota, Lou and OJ are asking for too much money, Ray Allen is staying with Boston or joining Miami, George Hill already re-signed, JR Smith wants too much money, etc.

Small forward is basically locked down with Marion. We still need depth to back him up or in case of an injury. Of course, Dirk is still manning the 4 with Wright as the back up. And it looks like we don't have to clear any additional cap space, so there's no point in amnestying Haywood unless we REALLY want to go young. Also, with the potential lost of Mahinmi, we have to pick up another big man as well. Many have stated that maybe its best to trade Dirk and completely rebuild. To be honest, I'm wavering with this idea but I'm leaning towards keeping him. I realize he's 34 and we're going to waste another year of his career. The thing is, you NEVER get equal value back when you trade away a superstar. I want to help Dirk and give him the opportunity to compete in the playoffs again, but that means we'll be helping out a contender... Could you imagine if we helped out LA, SA, Boston, NY, Chicago, Miami, OKC, etc.? Exactly.

To sum it all up, this is what I see for the Mavs this next year. The names of the newcomers are there to just merely suggest the type/caliber of player I'm alluding to.

Sessions/Beaubois/Cunningham
West/CJ Miles/Carter/Cunningham
Marion/Carter/Crowder
Dirk/Wright/James/Crowder
Haywood/Backup C/James

We go through another year of short-term contracts and keep our flexibility for next summer. With this line up, we may finish anywhere from 7-12 in the West. This would give us a top 10 pick which we can use to fill needs. And who knows, we'll also have the chance for a major deal at the deadline (Howard, Paul, etc.). But knowing Dirk, he'll somehow get us to playoffs just because of his brilliance. But is this what we really want? I know it sucks to think about how the Mavericks' reign may be ending, but the quicker we can cut ties with what was, the sooner we can build towards what can be.

MFFL

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just tired of the couldas, wouldas, and shouldas. Of course, I'm damn frustrated about the entire situation so this is my way of coping with it.

I'm just trying to look towards the future and build something we can be excited about again.

Contact Me
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

A) Bring back most of the squad and defend the title or
B) Bring back Tyson(+Dirk) and go from there in 2011/12/13... and beyond
C) Sign one-year deals and play for 2012/13 and beyond

Last edited by markus1234; 07-05-2012 at 03:53 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
alby
Guru

The top 10 free agents in 2013 by position:

Point Guard
Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers – $17.8 million – Unrestricted
John Wall, Washington Wizards – $5.9 million – Team Option ($6.7 million)
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors – $4.0 million – Restricted ($5.3 million Qualifying Offer)
Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers – $5.4 million – Team Option ($5.6 million)
Darren Collison, Indiana Pacers – $2.3 million – Restricted ($3.3 million Qualifying Offer)
Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia 76ers – $2.7 million – Restricted ($3.8 million Qualifying Offer)
Ty Lawson, Denver Nuggets – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.6 million Qualifying Offer)
Brandon Jennings, Milwaukee Bucks – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.3 million Qualifying Offer)
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves – $3.7 million – Team Option ($4.0 million)
Devin Harris, Utah Jazz – $8.5 million – Unrestricted
Kyle Lowry, Houston Rockets – $5.8 million – Team Option ($6.2 million)

Shooting Guard
Monta Ellis, Milwaukee Bucks – $11.0 million – Early Termination Option ($11.0 million)
Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia 76ers – $14.7 million – Early Termination Option ($15.9 million)
Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings – $5.3 million – Restricted ($6.9 million Qualifying Offer)
Kevin Martin, Houston Rockets – $12.4 million – Unrestricted
James Harden, Oklahoma City Thunder – $5.8 million – Restricted ($7.6 million Qualifying Offer)
DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors – $3.3 million – Restricted ($4.5 million Qualifying Offer)
Evan Turner, Philadelphia 76ers – $5.2 million – Team Option ($6.7 million)
Jordan Crawford, Washington Wizards – $1.2 million – Team Option ($2.2 million)
Ben Gordon, Detroit Pistons – $12.4 million – Player Option ($13.2 million)
Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs – $14.1 million – Unrestricted

Small Forward
Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks – $13.2 million – Unrestricted
Paul George, Indiana Pacers – $2.6 million – Team Option ($3.3 million)
Derrick Williams, Minnesota Timberwolves – $4.8 million – Team Option ($5.0 million)
Gordon Hayward, Utah Jazz – $2.9 million – Team Option ($3.8 million)
Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs – $1.8 million – Team Option ($1.9 million)
Wesley Johnson, Minnesota Timberwolves – $4.3 million – Team Option ($5.4 million)
Shawn Marion, Dallas Mavericks – $8.4 million – Early Termination Option ($9.1 million)
Dorrell Wright, Golden State Warriors – $4.1 million – Unrestricted
Jan Vesely, Washington Wizards – $3.2 million – Team Option ($3.3 million)
Linas Kleiza, Toronto Raptors – $4.6 million – Player Option ($4.6 million)

Power Forward
Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers – $7.2 million – Restricted ($9.4 million Qualifying Offer)
Taj Gibson, Chicago Bulls – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
David West, Indiana Pacers – $10.0 million – Unrestricted
DeJuan Blair, San Antonio Spurs – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City Thunder – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
Paul Millsap, Utah Jazz – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
Al Jefferson, Utah Jazz – $15.0 million – Unrestricted
Derrick Favors, Utah Jazz – $4.8 million – Team Option ($6.0 million)
Tristan Thompson, Cleveland Cavaliers – $3.9 million – Team Option ($4.1 million)
Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte Bobcats – $2.9 million – Team Option ($3.0 million)

Center
Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic – $19.5 million – Unrestricted
Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers – $16.1 million – Unrestricted
DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento Kings – $3.9 million – Team Option ($4.9 million)
Greg Monroe, Detroit Pistons – $3.2 million – Team Option ($4.1 million)
Samuel Dalembert, Houston Rockets – $6.7 million – Unrestricted
Nikola Pekovic, Minnesota Timberwolves – $4.8 million – Unrestricted*
Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 76ers – $1.7 million – Team Option ($1.8 million)
Ekpe Udoh, Milwaukee Bucks – $3.5 million – Team Option ($4.5 million)
Emeka Okafor, New Orleans Hornets – $13.5 million – Early Termination Option ($14.5 million)
Andris Biedrins, Golden State Warriors – $9.0 million – Early Termination Option ($9.0 million)

Contact Me
Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all

Better list the 2013 draft prospects.

Of those guys only Howard is good enough to be the main cog of a championship team and that's what we'll need in the playoffs of 2014 and beyond, because Dirk ain't getting younger. However, if this year's Dirk wasn't enough to attract Deron, I can't see how next year's Dirk's going to be enough to attract Dwight.

So, forget reloading, focus on rebuilding through the draft.

Last edited by stuportremens; 07-05-2012 at 04:46 AM.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked that last part, the one that said MFFL.

I'm damn proud to be an MFFL, as are the rest of you all, and the grim future doesn't change that.

Be glad Michael Jordan isn't running our team.

But I'm still depressed though, lol.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 07-05-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
I liked that last part, the one that said MFFL.

I'm damn proud to be an MFFL, as are the rest of you all, and the grim future doesn't change that.

Be glad Michael Jordan isn't running our team.

But I'm still depressed though, lol.
MFFL here too, but we can't be all depressed (I'm not) and feeling like a lottery team just after a few days of free agency. In the past decade we've acheived 3rd in NBA history in consecutive 50 win seasons with 11, equal 4th in most wins in a season (67-15 in '06-'07), Dirk MVP, winning it all in 2011 and all under Cuban who hasn't missed playoffs and doubt that he wants to start now.

Every team goes through these stages and yes, be glad Jordan isn't running our team.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Let's be honest here. This wasn't one bad move and missing on Deron was the cause of all of our problems. A series of bad decisions has lead us here. Roddy, Dojo, letting Chandler go...

Last edited by oilfieldtrash; 07-05-2012 at 07:29 AM.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Let's be honest here. This wasn't one bad move and missing on Deron was the cause of all of our problems. A series of bad decisions has lead us here. Roddy, Dojo, letting Chandler go...
In what way Roddy or Jones decided the fate of our franchise? Also, those were not bad decisions. You can't call them bad decisions, when you have no idea what would have happened if they made the "good decisions", whatever that means in your interpretation. We could just as well be at the same place, but i would argue that the reality, we would be at an even more desperate place.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

As Bob Seger would say: Turn the page.

I really hope they look at a young player who might need a new change of scenery. OJ Mayo/Tyreke Evans/Kyle Lowry are all players like that. Can't think of any bigs that are in that situation but there may be someone.

Last edited by Bayliss; 07-05-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Only way to improve the team this year is taking back other teams garbage since they let Dragic get away. Let's put our fate into a 7 foot talk big baby that changes his mind more than his underwear.

Last edited by oilfieldtrash; 07-05-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest problem with the present situation is there does not seem to be a plan for next season other than let's pray we get Dwight or CP3. If, as you suggest, the MBT begins to piece together a credible team (adding Lowry, Sessions, Camby, or Kaman) then my frustration is eased a bit. But right now the FO is not only refusing to use their cap space, they appear to be willing to allow some of their credible FAs to leave without attempting to use them as sign and trade chips (Ian, JET, Yi). I realize it is premature to conclude that, but I need to see some movement in the direction of putting a competitive team on the court for next season. Alby, I hope you are right and we begin to see a roster come together. But my fear and instincts tell me that the goal is to sign players to one year contracts. That is the final and most important criteria. With other teams willing to go three and four years, the Mavs will not be competitive and are likely to end up with a caliber of player much lower than those you suggest. For example, they probably bring Yi back with a two year deal, the second being largely non-guaranteed. That's my fear, but let's hope I am wrong.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I think the nba will be real interesting in 3-5 years...the new cba will kill the teams that are stocking up now,and dont win.. Cubes knows this,and sad to say,we're gonna have a rough few years(unless we get dho)...but in the end,its how we have to play it. These teams(nets/knicks/lakers/celtics) are gonn find out that it wont be as easy to recover from overspending as it has been in the past, and the rest of the pack will start to catch up.
Im just thankful we got one trophy the old way,now Cubes has to figure out how to do it the new way

Last edited by Just211; 07-05-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Just211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where youre coming from, but at the moment how can we move on? We're still in the middle of a disaster of an offseason with the team essentially hanging in the balance. I dont think its wrong right now to discuss woulda coulda shoulda, and needta.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

With that said, i like cousins only for the price. And ive always liked monta ellis' game.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
This is why I'm questioning the MBT's decision to bring back Kidd. Is it just out of respect and loyalty?
I think it's to keep things together, as much as possible. At least for Dirk. Kidd can guide the kids on the roster and provide some glue. I think Dirk needs someone like that since he isn't the type to guide the young players. I think Kidd will also keep Dirk from losing his motivation and going insane once things don't go so well.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's to keep things together, as much as possible. At least for Dirk. Kidd can guide the kids on the roster and provide some glue. I think Dirk needs someone like that since he isn't the type to guide the young players. I think Kidd will also keep Dirk from losing his motivation and going insane once things don't go so well.
Oh, so Kidd is Jack Haley to Dirk's Rodman.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
alby
Guru

Dirk was fine before Kidd got here. If he needs Kidd, bring him back as a front office guy.

Contact Me
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

How most mavs fans feel right now
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
alby
Guru

^ The sooner we get up from that, the better off we will be.

Contact Me
Old 07-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd as a backup is fine and 3M is not outrageous.

They need a young starting PG and a better C and they will be fine.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Someone needs to remind the MBT of this old cliche. IMO, Cuban and Donnie have analyzed the new CBA and have come to the conclusion that a paradigm shift is going to happen in the NBA that will dramatically affect player contracts. Duh, right? Well the problem as I see it is this. They rightly view that going over the cap is not a long term option anymore. Taxes will be higher and other ways to obtain players (sign-and-trade for example) will also be restricted. So, you have to be careful how you spend your money and not lock yourself into long term contracts that limit your payroll for long period of time. I get that. However, they seem to be waiting for that amazing deal to fall into their laps or a elite superstar to decide to come to Dallas for the $$. They ask for continued patience until one of these two events occur. The problem is that elite free agents are not likely to pick Dallas if there is not a supporting cast that goes beyond a 34 year old Dirk. IMO, the intervening step the MBT is missing is that they should be locking up quality role players in the mid salary range to build around one or two superstars. There will be ample time to find another superstar when the contracts of Matrix and Haywood are shed from their bank account. Looking for that elite player right now makes no sense. Waiting for that special moment to grab one from someone else is not likely. The current rigid thinking and strategy is not going to work so its time for the MBT to begin a new strategy and start building a team right now!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Kidd as a backup is fine and 3M is not outrageous.

They need a young starting PG and a better C and they will be fine.
I think the word you were looking for instead of "fine" is "mediocre".
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
There is more than one way to skin a cat. Someone needs to remind the MBT of this old cliche. IMO, Cuban and Donnie have analyzed the new CBA and have come to the conclusion that a paradigm shift is going to happen in the NBA that will dramatically affect player contracts. Duh, right? Well the problem as I see it is this. They rightly view that going over the cap is not a long term option anymore. Taxes will be higher and other ways to obtain players (sign-and-trade for example) will also be restricted. So, you have to be careful how you spend your money and not lock yourself into long term contracts that limit your payroll for long period of time. I get that. However, they seem to be waiting for that amazing deal to fall into their laps or a elite superstar to decide to come to Dallas for the $$. They ask for continued patience until one of these two events occur. The problem is that elite free agents are not likely to pick Dallas if there is not a supporting cast that goes beyond a 34 year old Dirk. IMO, the intervening step the MBT is missing is that they should be locking up quality role players in the mid salary range to build around one or two superstars. There will be ample time to find another superstar when the contracts of Matrix and Haywood are shed from their bank account. Looking for that elite player right now makes no sense. Waiting for that special moment to grab one from someone else is not likely. The current rigid thinking and strategy is not going to work so its time for the MBT to begin a new strategy and start building a team right now!
Unfortunately this thinking should have started last year. Right now they appear to be idiots.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
alby
Guru

It's time to do it the ol fashion way and build through the draft. SA did it 15 years ago, Seattle did it 5 years ago, etc. This is how we'll be able to compete with the New Yorks and Los Angeles's of the world.

In fact, thats how we even got to where we were. Trading for Dirk on draft night.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's time to do it the ol fashion way and build through the draft. SA did it 15 years ago, Seattle did it 5 years ago, etc. This is how we'll be able to compete with the New Yorks and Los Angeles's of the world.

In fact, thats how we even got to where we were. Trading for Dirk on draft night.
You know what they can do?.. Perhaps next year they can turn a top 5 pick into 5 late first/early second rounders.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Minnesota is doing it.

Trading KG was hard for them and they went through purgatory for 4 or so years but if they can keep Love-Rubio and make a couple more good moves, they can be in business for years.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Minnesota is doing it.

Trading KG was hard for them and they went through purgatory for 4 or so years but if they can keep Love-Rubio and make a couple more good moves, they can be in business for years.
Great example.

Contact Me
Old 07-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Minnesota is doing it.

But trading KG didn't gain them anything. They could have kept KG for several more years and still be in the exact same spot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #30
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
But trading KG didn't gain them anything. They could have kept KG for several more years and still be in the exact same spot.
I don't think they would've been in position to draft Love or Rubio (and blow picks on various other players). Technically they traded OJ Mayo for Love (killer move). The point is they've been drafting in the top 7 for 5 years.

Now, is that worth it? Don't know but they should be competitive for the next 8 years. Their future is brighter than anybody in the West except OKC.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 07-05-2012 at 03:10 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Might not have been looking to pick up the PF Love if Garnett was still around...
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
alby
Guru

I'm focusing more on the change aspect. There's no denying that even with Dirk, as of TODAY, you would rather be in Minnesota's situation.

It sounds like I'm hating on Dirk, but I'm really not. I still think he is one of the top players in the NBA even at his age. It's just at 34, you have to start looking at the climate of your team 1, 3, 5 years down the road. The simple fact is, I was a huge Mavs fan before Dirk was ever a part of it, and I'll continue to be one when he leaves.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 07-05-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #33
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Red Shirt Dirk this year and let him stay in Germany.
Play the young guys and see who will cut it going forward, get a high pick in the giraffe
Come back and grab a bad ass free asian with our monies

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #34
alby
Guru

Kidd leaving, going to New York.

Contact Me
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #35
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Kidd was just trolling us guys.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

im 100% down to trade dirk now. i dont want to watch him suffer and playing on a lottery team next year .
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #37
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Red Shirt Dirk this year and let him stay in Germany.
Play the young guys and see who will cut it going forward, get a high pick in the giraffe
Come back and grab a bad ass free asian with our monies
Not a bad idea, but I don't think Jeremy Lin or Yi would play for free.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

no joke.dirk will be forever a Mavs...i don't care about lottery or other bullshit.

dirk is dallas and dallas is dirk.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jGSvxCRp4
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #40
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
no joke.dirk will be forever a Mavs...i don't care about lottery or other bullshit.

dirk is dallas and dallas is dirk.
Get real dude. You wanna watch Dirk get owned night after night just to watch him in a mavs uni? It's looking like teams are gonna be able to play 3 on 1 vs Dirk with no other offensive options.