Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-23-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

does anyone know how many assists kobe bryant averaged this year per game?
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2001, 02:17 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 02:21 PM   #3
LAM0015
Banned

another question, is kobe bryant considered a selfish player?
Old 04-23-2001, 02:24 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

IMO, Yes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 04-23-2001, 02:25 PM   #5
LAM0015
Banned

another question,
are assists over rated...or misleading?
Old 04-23-2001, 02:34 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Overrated/Misleading

Isn't that the same thing?

Old 04-23-2001, 02:36 PM   #7
LAM0015
Banned

quite possibly...but probably not always. that's why i used both words
Old 04-23-2001, 02:37 PM   #8
Hoover

Hoover is on a distinguished road

I think I know where you're going with this, but I will walk right into anyway. No, they are not misleading or deceiving. All statistics tell the true story. (HEAVY SARCASM INTENDED HERE)
Old 04-23-2001, 02:39 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

lol Hoover, that's why I didn't answer one way or the other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2001, 02:40 PM   #10
LAM0015
Banned

hmm, i'm glad you use sarcasm in your remark..because i wouldn't agree that statistics always tell the truth. i would also agree that assists can be misleading. alot of times they are representative of the type of team you play on.
obviously, if your a point guard, and you play on a team that shoots the ball well, ..well, then your assists may be higher than if you played on a team that shot the ball poorly
Old 04-23-2001, 02:44 PM   #11
Hoover

I agree......
Old 04-23-2001, 02:46 PM   #12
LAM0015
Banned

do you agree with the fact that kobe can be a selfish player and average a high amount of assists for a player at his position?(mainly because of his teams overall shooting percentage)
Old 04-23-2001, 02:50 PM   #13
Hoover

I would agree that it definetly help to be able to dump the ball to someone who average better than 57% from the floor.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:56 PM   #14
LAM0015
Banned

what about guys that hit 49%, 48.8%, 48.7%, and 47.4%..all well above the league average?
Old 04-23-2001, 03:05 PM   #15
Hoover

I will continue walking into this debate, even though we could approach any given statistic from 100 different angles. Yeah, shooting percentages like those should help one's assist total.
Old 04-23-2001, 03:15 PM   #16
LAM0015
Banned

ok, just curious.
i don't think that at this point in the season, it is time to accuse any players for the mavs of anything as negative as being selfish. but i just wanted to get other people's ideas on a couple of things and how they could relate to other situations in the NBA. obviously, the situation in LA and Dallas are separate and i hope that they can remain separate in this forum at this time.

thank you for your help

Old 04-23-2001, 03:26 PM   #17
Hoover

LAM....with all due respect, and I mean that. Let's finish this. PLease for the love of God don't try and compare Kobe Bryant and Michael Finley. Yes, the Mavs starting 5 have shot lights out all year, therefore helping out each others apg.

If we are going to use assists to evaluate whether or not a player is selfish then at what point do you draw the line? Five assists/game, 5.5...where. Let's make it 5.5 so Kobe has to be selfish...right along with Finley and 10 other Mavericks. I would also like to point out that this means there is a grand total of 329 selfish players in the league. Damn, what a big bunch of selfish pricks....I think I'll never watch another NBA game![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2001, 03:37 PM   #18
LAM0015
Banned

actually, i was making a point to where statistics can be misleading and that where we know kobe is a selfish player at times, he does average more assists than michael finley. therefore, when someone argues that finley isn't a selfish player because of the # of assists he has per game, their opinion is probably not valid because they would be the same people arguing that kobe is a selfish player in spite of his assists #'s. my point is... is that it would be a contradiction of opinions.

now, like i said, statistics are misleading. therefore, at this point in time, I am not willing to say that finley is a selfish player. if i have said it in the past, i apologize... i should not have said that. although statistics can be misleading, they usually tell have several truths as well. I don't have any statistics to back it up if i were to say that finley is a selfish player. therefore, i will not.

JUST WANTED TO BRING TO EVERYONE'S ATTENTION THE CONTRADICTION GAME THAT MANY PEOPLE ARE PLAYING. HOWEVER, THIS THREAD ISN'T HERE TO INDICT FINLEY ON SELFISHNESS. JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU USE STATISTICS FOR ONE THING AND SAY SOMETHING ELSE THAT CONTRADICTS A POINT YOU WERE TRYING TO MAKE (NO, HOOVER, THIS ISN'T DIRECTED AT YOU).

like i said, i apologize for calling finley selfish (because of lack of statistical proof). this isn't the time to jump on his back, it's playoff time. time to support the players and drop some of the petty issues. yes, i will continue to point out negative parts of people's games on a game by game basis....but, all negative feedback on players will be deserved.
Old 04-23-2001, 03:49 PM   #19
Hoover

Point well taken and I couldn't agree with you more. I will also applaude you for having the balls to point out certain areas in a player's game when others have been to busy looking at thing through rose (or Maverick blue) colored glasses. I too would love to see Finley drive to the hole more (as well as Dirk) and working on passing out of the double team is a must in the off season, because he will be doubled twice as much next year. It's one thing for a player to get to star level...it's a completly different thing to stay there. Once you get there you become a marked man...and every team begins to pour everything into shutting you down. Staying on top is what makes a good player great![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2001, 03:56 PM   #20
LAM0015
Banned

i don't know if they will double him more next year or not...i think, actually,the two prior years were probably the years he was and/or will be doubled the most. the couple years prior to this year when finley had less help, he was doubled quite a bit. i think with the further emergence of dirk and with the three point shooting and driving ability of nash..and the contributions of howard that teams won't double finley as much.
they're already doubling dirk alot...and they're doubling nash alot when he passes half court to get the ball out of his hands and disrupt the mavs half court offense

just my hso
Old 04-23-2001, 04:25 PM   #21
Hoover

True...That is what makes the Mavs so damn tough. If you come in with the mentality that you are going to shut Finley down...then Dirk, Nash, and Juwan are going to kill you. This should be alot of fun for many years to come!
Old 04-23-2001, 05:17 PM   #22
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember how many assists Bubba Wells used to average?
Old 04-23-2001, 05:54 PM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Another question... Was Bubba Wells considered selfish?
Old 04-23-2001, 08:30 PM   #24
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

bubba wells did whatever it took to help the team, even if it meant 6 fouls in around 10 seconds or so...so no, I guess he isn't selfish.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:32 PM   #25
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Another question... Was Bubba Wells overrated, or were his assists misleading?
Old 04-24-2001, 05:52 PM   #26
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Bubba Wells. Ahh. There were acouple of years where it was absolutely crazy. You couldn't go to the shops or watch the news without seeing his face. Ladies were calling their kids Bubba Jr, in the hope they could turn out like the real Bubba. Kids who knew nothing about ball were wearing his uniform.

Perhaps this was a little too much for Bubba who had more fouls per minute than his total points total. So yeah you could say he as overrated.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:33 AM   #27
LAM0015
Banned

evilmav...wasn't trying to point anything negative about finley...
i was pointing out how certain stats are misleading...like kobe being an obviously selfish player yet still averaging a high amount of assists.
just pointing out some of the contradictions that we all use to back up arguments..
nothing more.
if anything, what i said would be something that would be directed positively towards finley