Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-04-2002, 08:47 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Mitch Lawrence: Nets' Garnett offer no gem

Hearing that the Nets offered three starters - but no stars - for Kevin Garnett, the Mavs are prepared to jump into the Garnett derby with a better offer for the first-team All-NBA power forward.
The Mavs believe they can top Jersey's offer of Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles and Keith Van Horn. They'd happily move everyone short of Don Nelson fave Dirk Nowitzki to get the deal done. The problem for the Nets, Mavs and everyone else coveting Garnett is, as much as he hasn't been able to get Minnesota out of the first round, and with all the money he's making, the Timberwolves aren't likely to move him.

That's too bad for the Nets, who know they have to get a Garnett-type of star or stand a good chance of watching Jason Kidd walk out of Jersey next summer.

Kidd says so many different things to so many different people, it's hard to gauge how he really feels. Unfortunately for the Nets, he rarely talks to his most trusted allies about staying in Jersey. Just in the last week or so, he was crowing to some of them about the Nets' intentions to try to deal for Garnett. That's a positive sign. But he's also talked about his yearn to return home to play for Golden State, or joining up with Gary Payton in Seattle.

The smart money still has Kidd leaving for San Antonio in July 2003, to join forces with Tim Duncan. You can't argue with that.

If Minnesota ever reaches the conclusion that it's time to trade Garnett, it's a cinch that other teams will call Kevin McHale. Portland has a standing offer of Rasheed Wallace, along with Bonzi Wells or Derek Anderson.

But unless the Timberwolves get a proven star in return, why would they want to deal Garnett? Take the Nets' offer. How much better would the T-Wolves be taking on the long-term contracts of Kittles and Van Horn. And even the Nets are wary of Martin's eventual need for big money.

There's a school of thought that says the T-Wolves would instead opt to rebuild, which means sending Garnett to a team like Miami, for Alonzo Mourning, whose deal is up next summer, along with a slew of future No. 1 picks. Then they can take all that money ($25 million) off their books, get under the salary cap, and start over.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Scratch Kittles.

Add Richard Jefferson.

For a deal of Martin, Van Horn, and Jefferson, KMac would at least have to perk up his Timberwolf ears.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 09:48 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I shutter to think what the Mavs might offer and hope they don't.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Not at all sure of how well Garnett would fit in Dallas chemistry-wise. Get the sense that he wouldn't be at all cool about sharing billing with D-Now.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:31 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

The package would almost certainly be something along the lines of Finley, Van Exel, and other random bodies. I love Finley to death, but if you sign Rashard Lewis, you'd have to really think hard about doing it. Can you imagine a starting lineup of Raef, Garnett, Nowitzki, Lewis, and Nash? WOW.

Even if you don't sign Lewis, you'd have to think about doing it. Raef, Garnett, and Nowitzki would be an awfully imposing frontline. Sure, you'd be weak at SG, but surely we could find a young, athletic, defensive type to start there.

I agree that Garnett wouldn't WANT to share the spotlight, and that could be a problem. But that much talent on the same frontline would be hard to pass up...

Old 08-04-2002, 10:37 AM   #6
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

It would be a disaster to blast apart the Mavs the way a trade for him would require. Garnett is way overpaid and has an arguement that the collective bargining agreement allows his salary to go to 35 million a season with his next contract....He simply would stretch even Cuban's willingness to overpay to the max. I say Lewis is the better fit, or anyone of a number of stars we might have a shot at, but not MR.Millions. I would hope Garnett eventually understands he is the main reason Wolfes are going nowere because they can not afford talent to put around him....
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 10:42 AM   #7
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< D-Now. >>

slightly off topic here....but this is the first time i've seen this nickname. &quot;D-Now&quot;. wow. imagine Dirk becoming a defensive monster, too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

[edited for spelling]
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

well, Garnett´s 35 millions means that he is ELIGIBGLE to get it, not that he will FIND anyone who will ...
garnett will have to settle for 15-20 millions a year or retire - he won´t get anyone to pay him more no matter how much cap space they have
Old 08-04-2002, 10:51 AM   #9
pepperfletch

I would hope that 15 to 20 million for him is the case, but with his recent quotes to the contrary, IF he is &quot;FORCED&quot; to take the lower amount, he just may become a real pain in the a** to have around. Either way, I think other options fit Dallas better....
Old 08-04-2002, 11:08 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< I would hope that 15 to 20 million for him is the case, but with his recent quotes to the contrary, IF he is &quot;FORCED&quot; to take the lower amount, he just may become a real pain in the a** to have around. Either way, I think other options fit Dallas better.... >>

Pepperfletch, you make a good point about the salary, and Garnett could be difficult to deal with in more than one respect.

You have to admit, though, a frontline of Nowitzki, Garnett, and LaFrentz would have you drooling at the possibilities...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 11:11 AM   #11
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

well, think that´s a &quot;so what?&quot; situation concerning garnett ...

with him playing at a team which is a contender (...) there has to be the question &quot;do you want to win a championship or get another 5 million to share with your gang while ruining another franchise&quot; .. this boy could earn much more than those payroll money by adding a ring and becoming a legend and a marketing asset, so i couldn´t care less about this issue ...

garnett should do everything possible not to end like Mr. Karl Malone, and his expiring contract might be the very moment he can make the right decisions ...

if it takes Fin and VanE to get him - do it. garnett will earn more than Dirk even if &quot;just&quot; getting his 15-20 millions a year, so there´s no reason for him to complain ...
Old 08-04-2002, 12:02 PM   #12
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

What if we have to give up Nash to get Garnett?
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 12:02 PM   #13
pepperfletch

Agreed that his TALENT is extreme. Having him WITH a positive attitude and a FAIR (top 5 pay in NBA) would be great. But he is still CURRENTLY trouble in MY view.

Also as to using Van Exel and Finley to get him, I fear it would take more than that. Maybe Nash or R.L. as well. Is it then still a deal in your eyes? In fact if I were Wolfes I would start with asking for Dirk....(no way I am sure is your answer there)

If we could use Finley and spares to land him and he would to agree to a 'fair salary' (Duncan's range) then it might work if his atitude adjusts as well.

Finally if we secure Lewis, we will not need to discuss this further as I would stand pat. Garnet is not light years ahead of where LEWIS might be in 2 years playing with Mavs talent and staff.

Botton line to me is we are so close to top without him, a little further 'reasonable' adjusting and we could go all the way....
Old 08-04-2002, 12:21 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< What if we have to give up Nash to get Garnett? >>

I don't do it.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:23 PM   #15
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Van E and Finley (+filler) is the price I´m willing to pay.
Nash isn´t.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:26 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< Also as to using Van Exel and Finley to get him, I fear it would take more than that. Maybe Nash or R.L. as well. Is it then still a deal in your eyes? In fact if I were Wolfes I would start with asking for Dirk....(no way I am sure is your answer there) >>

Since I think Dirk is the better player, and ALSO has the better salary, you're right that my answer is NO. I might consider Finley and LaFrentz, but I wouldn't give Nash.

<< Finally if we secure Lewis, we will not need to discuss this further as I would stand pat. Garnet is not light years ahead of where LEWIS might be in 2 years playing with Mavs talent and staff.

Botton line to me is we are so close to top without him, a little further 'reasonable' adjusting and we could go all the way....
>>

I don't know about the Lewis/Garnett comparisons, but I readily concede that if we can acquire Lewis, I'm in favor of keeping the nucleus intact rather than shaking it up.

Old 08-04-2002, 12:29 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

I see what many of you are saying, but I do not do this deal at all. Too risky.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:02 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< I see what many of you are saying, but I do not do this deal at all. Too risky. >>

I agree Dr.Bio. When there is a risk involved into a trade and ur a contender like Mavs are u dont do it. Its too many questions and more questions then answers Garnett will give. We dont know if Garnett will be upset in a Mavs uniform. I dont trade Nash Finley or Dirk to get him. And if he gets payed 35 mill a year that means Mavs would have to give up Finley, Nick, and assuming Twolves want young players beign that Finley adn Nick are around 30 Griffen and Najera or Lafrentz would have to be in the deal. Maybe becuase im a Finley fan I dont do this but regardless its too many questions in this trade. I dont think Mavs are a all star away from winning a championship. I think they are a player away. Lewis could be that player who knows but I dont take the risk of bringing in Garnett just to buy a championship. Garnetts a terrific player and all but I just dont trade awaly 3-5 players to bring in someone who has question marks all over his face. It seems as if alot of people are assumign he will do this assuming he will do that well no one knows for sure but all I know is that he has a history of being selfish and thast why Twolves cant get out of the first round.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:16 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Nice post FFM. I agree.

I am a fan of Finley and don't mind admitting that I am a bit of a homer, but that trade just doesn't make sense IMO. I also do not think Garnett is worth that kind of salary. I think if Lewis comes on board, we would still probably be a Pollard-type player away from being the Champs. However, with that line-up and a little luck, a champioship would not be out of reach.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #20
pepperfletch

Dr Bio, FFM...I agree not trading for KG this is best. I wish to see just where our current core can take us. We have already passed the Garnett lead Wolfes and Lewis signing seems closer to us than any of us would have believed last week. Cuban/Nelson's will continue to improve the team without blasting the roster....
Old 08-04-2002, 02:50 PM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I shutter to think what the Mavs might offer and hope they don't.

LOL. I did the same thing.

I've been seeing a lot of Finley/NVE for Garnett proposals. I can certainly see why the Mavs would do it, but I don't know why the T-Wolves would. And that deal isn't better than what NJ is offering.

I figure we'd have to give up Nash instead of NVE before Minnesota even listens to our offer.

No telling what other players/picks/cash Cuban would throw in just to make it sweeter, you know?
Old 08-04-2002, 04:29 PM   #22
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

well, we went through this all the time ...

Nick, Fin, Esch and a first for Garnett ... or else ...

just look up all those threads
Old 08-04-2002, 04:58 PM   #23
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Kevin Or Hell?
Analyzing The Garnett-To-Mavs Rumor

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
Kevin Garnett to the Mavericks?
“It’s a media creation, because we have never talked to the Timberwolves about Kevin Garnett,’’ Mavs owner Mark Cuban tells DallasBasketball.com, while adding that, like any club, the Mavs would find KG’s availability “interesting.’’
GARNETT GOSSIP
That’s a kinda denial. Which doesn’t mean we shouldn’t ask whether it could happen. Or whether it should.
No, the Mavs have not officially jumped into the Garnett Sweepstakes, contrary to the New York Daily News story that insists they are offering “anybody but Dirk’’ in exchange for the All-Worlder.
Start with a late spring night in the bowels of the American Airlines Center. The Mavs have drubbed KG’s T’Wolves, causing their early playoff exit again. We ask Mavs exec Donnie Nelson about the abuse Garnett is about to take in Minnesota, about the rumors that are starting to bubble from the Twin Cities, rumors about Minny wanting to “start over.’’
“Never happens,’’ Donnie said. “That’s a once-in-a-generation player who is as accomplished as any guy in the league short of Shaq, and he’s only … You never trade him.’’
But do you trade FOR him? What if the same Mavericks team that helped establish KG as a first-round dud acquires him in order to make him a Finals stud?
The answer is simple: Of course they want him. Of course you want him. When Cuban calls it “interesting,’’ he’s soft-selling it. It’s WAY more than just interesting.
But let’s deal in reality here.
Try it this way: The story makes it clear that Nowitzki and Garnett are on a similar plane. So let’s say the Mavs experience repeated first-round failures with Nowitzki as the centerpiece. Would you trade “failure’’ Dirk for Kittles, Van Horn and Martin?
If you wouldn’t do it for Dirk, why would they do it for KG?
The issues:
How much of this is really a “media creation’’?
Other NBA beat writers have long rolled their eyes at Mitch Lawrence’s throw-it-against-the-wall style of handling rumors, but this much is true: If the T’Wolves are going to clean house, starting with their first-team All-Star, and they’re going to do it in exchange for three very good complimentary Nets players (Kittles, Van Horn and the developing Kenyon Martin), then every team in the NBA should be making the call.
The Mavs – who, along with Portland, lead the league in very good complimentary players – included. So Lawrence would have more credibility here had he not written it as strongly. In fact, the Daily News is careful enough to use the word “preparing’’ to make a run at Garnett. OK, we’ll give them that. The Mavs, and 20-odd other teams, are “preparing,’’ too.
Who to trade?
Ah, let’s get right to it, eh? The Mavs, according to the Daily News, would give up anybody except Dirk. The paper must mean “any SINGLE player except Dirk; surely the Mavs aren’t going to strip their roster to the bone so they can employ The UberMan, KG, and The Merry Minimums. … are they?
If you are Minnesota, any such deal starts with Michael Finley, Nick Van Exel and change – at least. (We can speculate all we want about three-way machinations, but at least those two guys are gone, for certain.) We throw Fin’s name in (again) not as a dis, but as a compliment; who else on the Dallas roster is worthy of being dealt for Kevin Garnett? Cuban gets queazy every time Finley’s name gets tossed into gossip, but you’re not going to acquire Garnett for a bag of magic beans. This ain’t Big Dog Robinson here.
Back up. … Why not the Merry Minimum theory?
Thanks for a second shot at this. Over there, you’ve got Shaq and Kobe and an army of role players. Over here, I’ve got Nowitzki and Garnett, and I sign Rashard Lewis, and an army of role players? Hmmm. I change my mind. Minny, let me keep Nash, and you can pull up the U-Haul for anybody else you desire.
And what if Minnesota says, “Hey, make this fair: Finley and Nash and change for Garnett?
I’m concerned about Dirk’s comfort zone being violated here. I’m nervous about scrapping my well-considered blueprint on the fly. I’m worried that a Minnesota team featuring Finley, Nash and Wally might be a Western Conference threat to me.
But I do that, too.
And then, for the sake of this fantasy discussion, my starting lineup might be, what? Nowitzki, Garnett and LaFrentz upfront, with Lewis and Van Exel in the backcourt, backed up by Griffin, Najera, Avery Johnson and some million-dollar-minimum vets who want a piece of this action? Yeah, you do that.
Is Garnett a personality fit?
Without any question, yes. The Daily News writes that Dirk Nowitzki is Nellie’s fave, and that’s close to true. But you know who Don Nelson’s truly favorite player in the NBA has long been? Yup. KG. Nellie loves the way Garnett conducts himself in every way, calls him a model NBA citizen, and unquestionably would love to employ him. It is assumed that KG’s conflict with Wally wouldn’t be repeated here between KG and Dirk, but maybe we have rose-colored glasses on regarding the Nelsons’ ability to keep the boat from being rocked.
What about those recent nasty quotes?
A really stupid move by Garnett, allowing ESPN The Magazine to tag along with him on a commercial shoot. In the ad, Garnett is seen asking himself incredibly tough questions and then answering those questions with incredibly tough, sometimes profane, answers. Most of the over-the-top stuff – including his statement that he’s overpaid at $20 mil a year – will be left on the cutting-room floor. But it’s out there, taking hold in internet space, painting an inaccurate picture of Garnett as a selfish and petulant child.
Is he a fit on the floor?
He has not established that he can carry a team by himself, in part because of his unselfishness, in part because it seems his personality is better suited to being a “Robin’’ than a “Batman.’’ That is an indictment of his performance, because despite the incredible numbers (the 20-10-5 phenom), KG has occasionally floated away from the ball in the clutch.
Fine. Be a Robin. But then Dirk has to be a Batman. And both of them would have to understand that in LA, they have TWO Batmen.
Will this really happen?
Nah. If you were Minnesota, would you take Kittles, Van Horn and Martin for KG? Would you take Portland’s Rasheed Wallace and Bonzi Wells for him? Even if it’s Finley and Nash, it’s likely that they sit in Minnesota for the rest of their careers waiting for their one final puzzle piece – a KG or a Dirk – to come along. And that he never comes.
The logic behind this sort of deal never happening echoes through the bowels of the American Airlines Center, in Donnie’s voice: There are ways to find another Kittles. There are ways to find another Van Exel. There are even ways to find another Finley and another Nash.
There is no way Minnesota could ever find another Garnett

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 05:23 PM   #24
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Well, actually it doesnt matter if Minnie will find any other KG ever, since they won´t be able to pay him as long as they still have the original KG on their payroll ...
Old 08-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'm the original KG. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 08:21 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

I'm the original KG [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I'm not trading Nash, Dirk or Finley for you either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

That's only because you haven't seen my yeoman work on the boards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 09:35 PM   #28
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

if we have to give up finley and van exel, i do it in a second. you win with stars in the league, and however you want to cut it, garnett is a shining star among stars. to be able to take a scrub team like minnesota and get them to the playoffs is an accomplishment in and of itself.

i love finley, dont get me wrong. hes a stud, but players of garnetts ability dont come along often, and if you get the opportunity, you have to pull the trigger.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 12:46 AM   #29
miles berg

miles berg is on a distinguished road

How about:

Michael Finley
Nick Van Exel
Minnie's choice of a resigned Najera *or* ZhiZhi (not both)
2 1st rounders
$3 Million Dollars (Cuban's well known incentive to get deals done)

I would do it and laugh all the way to the NBA Championship.

Dirk and Garnett??? Unreal combo right there.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:48 AM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Damn Miles....you forgot to throw in the AAC. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2002, 09:25 AM   #31
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

maybe we can add the playstation´s aswell?
Old 08-05-2002, 09:43 AM   #32
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

This is crap, no way the Mavs make a trade for Garnett. This is nothing more than the media making something out of nothing AGAIN. Cuban has probably inquired to see what it would take to get him but that does not mean an offer has been made or will be made. Another reason Cuban might do it is a negotiating ploy to make Rashard hurry up and make a decision. But there is no way this deal happens.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #33
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Garnett is an albatross around minnesota's neck. They will be stuck in mediocrity as long as he is there. He makes them just good enough to make the playoffs but his salary keeps them from becoming good enough to make a solid run. At first I was thinking he was an answer, now I'm off, especially after that most ignorant of interviews.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:58 AM   #34
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

No way I give up Nash..Finley maybe.
But I hope Cuban atleast looks into it. Other than that I really don't see Mini improving the Mavs. That would be a double wammy.
If they trade KG, they will ship him to the East.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 01:27 PM   #35
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

The damn article said Finley and Nash not Finley and Nick adn Wang and spares. Twolves are gonna want Nash and Finley regardless if ur a Finley hater or a Nash fan both are going to have to leave and I dont do it. I would much rather have a team like the Twolves with a talented plaeyr out of my teams way rather than trade and make them better. Am I the only one that just doesent see Mavs lineup without Finley and Nash not good enough to beat the Kings or the Lakers still? We will have Lafrentz Garnett and Dirk and thats about it for players that are good enough to eb traded. Now does anyone see Dirk Garnett and Lafrentz any better than Webber Peja Christie BJ Divacs and Pollard? This deal isnt for the Mavs IMO.

Like I said maybe becasue im a homer and are huge fans of NAsh and Finley but I dont do the trade at all. And honestly I dont see Dirk co existing with Garnett here without Nash. Who will be Mavs pg? Nick? Who will he Nicks backup? There are too many questions and not enough answers trading for KG. And KG is a terrific player dont get me wrong but no way in hell I trade Nash and Finley for him. Maybe im stupid but I just dont do it. Garnett is young but brings too many questions in here. His attitude, pg needs, bench, role players, etc. I keep my Mavs core of players and let Twolves suffer and never get out of the first round.

CAn anyone tell me why is it all of a sudden Mavs are always in trade rumors? Lakers are never there Spurs are never there Eastern Conference teams are never there. It hink these are just fans of the NBA making up BS.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 01:38 PM   #36
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Dallas is'nt getting Garnett unless Dirk becomes a T-Wolf, and we don't want that. Next subject.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:49 PM   #37
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

<< Mitch Lawrence: Nets' Garnett offer no gem

Hearing that the Nets offered three starters - but no stars - for Kevin Garnett, the Mavs are prepared to jump into the Garnett derby with a better offer for the first-team All-NBA power forward.
The Mavs believe they can top Jersey's offer of Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles and Keith Van Horn. They'd happily move everyone short of Don Nelson fave Dirk Nowitzki to get the deal done. The problem for the Nets, Mavs and everyone else coveting Garnett is, as much as he hasn't been able to get Minnesota out of the first round, and with all the money he's making, the Timberwolves aren't likely to move him.

That's too bad for the Nets, who know they have to get a Garnett-type of star or stand a good chance of watching Jason Kidd walk out of Jersey next summer.

Kidd says so many different things to so many different people, it's hard to gauge how he really feels. Unfortunately for the Nets, he rarely talks to his most trusted allies about staying in Jersey. Just in the last week or so, he was crowing to some of them about the Nets' intentions to try to deal for Garnett. That's a positive sign. But he's also talked about his yearn to return home to play for Golden State, or joining up with Gary Payton in Seattle.

The smart money still has Kidd leaving for San Antonio in July 2003, to join forces with Tim Duncan. You can't argue with that.

If Minnesota ever reaches the conclusion that it's time to trade Garnett, it's a cinch that other teams will call Kevin McHale. Portland has a standing offer of Rasheed Wallace, along with Bonzi Wells or Derek Anderson.

But unless the Timberwolves get a proven star in return, why would they want to deal Garnett? Take the Nets' offer. How much better would the T-Wolves be taking on the long-term contracts of Kittles and Van Horn. And even the Nets are wary of Martin's eventual need for big money.

There's a school of thought that says the T-Wolves would instead opt to rebuild, which means sending Garnett to a team like Miami, for Alonzo Mourning, whose deal is up next summer, along with a slew of future No. 1 picks. Then they can take all that money ($25 million) off their books, get under the salary cap, and start over.
>>

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #38
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Garnett would be that final piece along with a veteran especially if Lewis comes along.
Finley , VanExel, and cap filler like Eschmeyer. Then we would have nash, Lewis, Garnett, Nowitzki, and Lafrentz. La couldn't top that. KG is a character guy Nellie had some good things to say about it check it out on Dallas Basketball.com This would be a no brainer. To get better you have to cut ties to good players to get a great one. Then the oldest player would be Nash at 28 , Garnett is 26 , Nowitzki turned 24, Raef is 25 , and Lewis is 22 that would be the best frontline in the NBA for nine or ten years. Than to top it off we would have Najera, Griffin, Tariq, Wang, and maybe another veteran bannger , and we could raise the banner in Dallas. What a line-Up if Minnesota were are trading partner for a blockbuster trade. -Justin

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:03 PM   #39
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

I think Don Nelson and Cuban would trade any player on this current roster head up on this roster including Dirk, Nash, or Finley for Kevin Garnett. If Dirk was the man involved it would be head up but I seriously doubt Minnesota would do it for Dirk alone. It will take a lot from a Western Conference team to get Kevin Garnett from the T'Wolves.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:28 PM   #40
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Wouldn't deal Dirk for KG straight up.