Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-05-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Man, Im sad to see them go, it is tough for the US. But c'mon, no excuses, you can't say they weren't trying tonight. Good game by yugo.

I hope to see the US play better come Olmpics.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

im not sad to see the US go.

this is a wakeup call. about time.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:24 PM   #3
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The US can´t go on with just picking some NBA players and let them play. The dream teams always relied on the individual talent of it´s members. With the rest of the world closing in in that department other factors become more important. Like team game, knowing each other, knowing the systems etc.

The US must either install something like a permanent national team, like other countrys have one. That would mean to have something like a ranking and the best in that ranking were to play for the US (and that would mean Shaq, Duncan and the likes). They´d need to convince the NBA players that it is an honor to play for the US (just like euro national soccerteams, everyone wants to play for his country here, it´s the ultimate goal of every german soccer player). Such a team could grow, get accustumed to each other, and after not too long such a team would be very very tough to beat.

The only other alternative I see for the US is to do the same thing as above, but with college players (if they can´t convince the NBA players). If they go on with recent ways (just pick a loose squad of good individual players) they will be very vulnerable in the future too.

Another way could be to have "rows" playing like in hockey (i.e. 4 players from the Nets, 4 from the Clippers, 4 of Minnesota). That´s ll I can think of.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:40 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Honestly u know what its football season and I can honestly say US could really give a damn if US lost forthe first time in history. I mean a good example is havin abotu 6 thousand fans in the seats. Thats just ridiculous u mean the Bulls can grab 5 times as much as that and the US has the best talent the US has to offer? To many things are going on right now for people to care about bball.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

If nobody gives a damn just send the college boys. I think people would care if the US wouldn´t even make the the quarterfinals any more.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:23 AM   #6
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

You say nobody gives a damn like it's a good thing.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 03:11 AM   #7
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

<< Man, Im sad to see them go, it is tough for the US. But c'mon, no excuses, you can't say they weren't trying tonight. Good game by yugo.

I hope to see the US play better come Olmpics.

>>

I expected you to say that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:10 AM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

May sound strange, but missing the semi-finals means that the US now have to focus on QUALIFYING for the olympics first ...
Old 09-06-2002, 08:04 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Longer term, the fact that U.S. dominance is no more is great for basketball-- international basketball, and probably even the NBA. This definitely shows that whatever talent gap existed in the past has narrowed. It's a competitive basketball world, making basketball more of a global property--not the exclusive domain of some false sense of American supeirority. This should increase interest among fans from other countries who will be lining up to see if their national team can knock off the former favorite (even though it isn't the same players).

That warning that Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley tried to sound on draft night about international players overtaking U.S. players...? Too late. Already happened. These foreign players can not only play, but can compete and can win--not just the Dirks and the Pejas and the Mings, but a LOT of them. I've read posts on other boards hinting at racism as the motive for NBA execs' looking to Europe for b-ball talent, as well as attributing racism to American fans' appreciation of these players. Screw that. Two times. What it is is 'playism'...NBA teams and NBA fans are looking for players who can play.

The U.S. team fell victim to several things--to falsely elevated expectations of a chauvinistic, provincial-minded public; to a system that doesn't put together a real team with any degree of cohesion; to an over-inflated sense of their own abilities; but most importantly, to a team with outstanding individual talent, and superior team talent.

This is a great day for hoops.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 08:25 AM   #10
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

1. I bet you that NBC is hacked!!! Now they will have to show two televised games that don't have the US in them. I wonder if advertisers can pull out...
2. Could we see a situation where the Euros and other foreign players no longer come to the US to play because we no longer have the &quot;best basketball&quot;? They would only come because of financial interests rather than skill development. Imagine China pulling Yao Ming from the market and sending him to Europe instead...Can they still do that before the season begins? San Antonio's Ginobili turned down more money in Europe to come play in the NBA. Is he going to regret his decision? I know that this over reacting, but these thoughts came across my mind as I watched the game last night.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:16 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< 1. I bet you that NBC is hacked!!! Now they will have to show two televised games that don't have the US in them. I wonder if advertisers can pull out...
2. Could we see a situation where the Euros and other foreign players no longer come to the US to play because we no longer have the &quot;best basketball&quot;? They would only come because of financial interests rather than skill development. Imagine China pulling Yao Ming from the market and sending him to Europe instead...Can they still do that before the season begins? San Antonio's Ginobili turned down more money in Europe to come play in the NBA. Is he going to regret his decision? I know that this over reacting, but these thoughts came across my mind as I watched the game last night.
>>

I'm not so sure I agree with the ratings tank. Number one they can't be much worse and now at least there may be some interest generated.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 01:31 PM   #12
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

MavKiKi, we have plenty of player who can play ONE on ONE street ball. The NBA, NCAA and even high school ball needs to take control of the indivigual players and teach them to play team ball. We need TEAM players, not just ball show offs...

I hope these games teachs the US that fact, but it will be hard to take the street ball ego's out of many of the players here...I think that is why the NBA is rushing to take players from elsewhere....leave your own ego at the door guys, this is about what the team can accomplish....
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 01:41 PM   #13
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I don't care what anybody says, the US was cheated both loses. I will admit, Argentina played a better game than the US, but, they still should have lost that game.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #14
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< MavKiKi, we have plenty of player who can play ONE on ONE street ball. The NBA, NCAA and even high school ball needs to take control of the indivigual players and teach them to play team ball. We need TEAM players, not just ball show offs...

I hope these games teachs the US that fact, but it will be hard to take the street ball ego's out of many of the players here...I think that is why the NBA is rushing to take players from elsewhere....leave your own ego at the door guys, this is about what the team can accomplish....
>>

I think the whole US system needs to be overhauled from the earliest training, and emphasis be placed on the basic fundamentals of team and individual basketball. You can see it in the Euros and Argentinians. They play the fundamentals and are diciplined. If everyone in US basketball were taught the basics, they could put a team together in short order and it wouldn't be so hard to get on the same page.

Now, in the US, it's do your own thing and free-lance. The US has the most talented individuals, the more talented teams are overseas. There is no reason to come and play in the NBA, if the NBA is not the best basketball. Those two games reduced the NBA to 2nd class basketball, in my eyes. I may have to subscribe to the Euro league basketball package, to see the best in the future on the dish.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:25 AM   #15
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Boy, people certainly have a talent for exaggeration in this forum.

I'll take a third rate dream team like the one assembled now against any international squad for a 7 game series. My advice would be to hold your bets.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 11:11 AM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Id take the detroit Pistons and I still think they could take any international team on. Honestly I didtn see enough players to say that they can take over this league. I didnt see a Lebron James out there. I saw guys out there who knew how to play team game and did what they had to do. I didnt see any Pierces or Marions or Antonio Davis's out there. But hey I also didnt see Dirk plays his usual performance so maybe they weretn playing there best. Only guys I saw who could give u a run for ur money in the NBA is Penny, Cameron, Ginobilli and that other guy who played with Ginobilli. Alll the other guys are usual suspects like Divacs, Dirk, Gasol etc.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:17 PM   #17
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Which Cameron are you talking about?
Just out of interest.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote