Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I was of the opinion that the Mavs may have a better team than last year, but a worse record. I was thinking that until, or unless, the Mavs prove they can beat LA, Sac and SA, that they are behind those teams in the pecking order. The Mavs have a better record than I figured at this point, but I feel the same.

The defense STILL has to improve to challenge for a championship. The Mavs may need a few more hard lessons before they "get it" about playing defense. I, personally, think that they got a false sense of how good they REALLY are by winning so much early. Some losses, that I will hate, may need to be in order. That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, or something like that.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

All this talk about defense is getting really old. I think they have to play like a team down the stretch of games.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Before the season I did not think they were as good as the Kings, SA or Lakers. I still feel that way. But what dissapoints me is that Nelson is reverting back to the ways in which we lost against the big teams. He is not even willing to try what he preached so hard during the preseason (defense).
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I think a team has to commit to defense mentally before they will play defense, in actuality.

Where I am differing with Bayliss is the apparent assumption that Nelson is not teaching defense. I don't believe that. I was listening to Donnie the other day on the radio and he said lack of practice time was really hurting the team. The other teams have had time to adjust their offense to the Mavs zone but the Mavs haven't had enough practice time to work on their counter moves. I realize, if the other team has time to work on their stuff, the Mavs ought to have time, also, but that was what Donnie was saying.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say Nellie wasn't teaching it. I said Nellie wasn't playing defensive people. He plays offense people only.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:50 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I do feel nellie has a "tendency" to pull guys for bad offense quicker than for bad defense, I can't say that most teams wouldn't do that.

But the 5 starters steve, dirk,fin, raef, ??? have to be the guys who play good defense. You can't give up so much offense to get defense.

Like tonight with eschmeyer. Yeah he played good defense, but he is so bad offensively that no one guarded him and he didn't even try to score.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 12:50 AM   #7
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Its still early. We will see what the second half record is. I think the team has been bored. I hope they take it to La, sacramento and san antonio. San Antonio is a huge test for the mavs Feburary 20.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< I was of the opinion that the Mavs may have a better team than last year, but a worse record. I was thinking that until, or unless, the Mavs prove they can beat LA, Sac and SA, that they are behind those teams in the pecking order. The Mavs have a better record than I figured at this point, but I feel the same.

The defense STILL has to improve to challenge for a championship. The Mavs may need a few more hard lessons before they &quot;get it&quot; about playing defense. I, personally, think that they got a false sense of how good they REALLY are by winning so much early. Some losses, that I will hate, may need to be in order. That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, or something like that.
>>

I'm glad to have read this from you, David. The first bolded phrase seems to be true but Nelson's declarations seem to be the opposite, but I think only in some vague appareance, I mean there were said officially and we know Nelson in those circumstances.

Personally I think the same, but this losing streak, and the 7-7 last record, can lead them to the second bolded phrase. However, I'm skeptic about Nelson: I have not proof about his improvements, lasting improvements, at least.

But I have hope that this time could be different; this worthwhile first half of the season shoudn't be wasted (and the followed 7-7 bad results), and owner, coaches and players have to feel it.