Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-19-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

according to NBA.com, Rashard Lewis has re-signed with Seattle, no story available yet.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

doh!

oh well... I guess it's time for Popeye, rod!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Sonics Re-Sign Lewis

Lewis
SEATTLE (Sept. 19, 2002) -- The Seattle SuperSonics today re-signed 6-10 forward Rashard Lewis to a seven-year contract, Sonics General Manager Rick Sund announced. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We are very excited that Rashard is returning to the Sonics," said Sund. "Re-signing him represents another important piece in a successful summer of shaping our roster and ensuring that our talented core of players remains intact for the 2002-03 season."

Now entering his fifth season with the Sonics, Lewis, 23, was originally drafted as an early entry candidate by the Sonics in the second round (32nd pick overall) of the 1998 NBA Draft from Alief Elsik High School in Alief, Texas.

"I am extremely happy to have Rashard back as part of this team," Head Coach Nate McMillan said. "He is a very coachable player and an important key to the Sonics future, and we are all eager to start training camp in two weeks."

Last season Lewis averaged a career-high 16.8 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.46 steals and 36.4 minutes in 71 games. He led the team in rebounding, was second in scoring and recorded 16 double-doubles. He scored a career-high 36 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds in a dramatic 123-119 double-overtime win over the Orlando Magic on Nov. 5.

"Seattle is where I started my NBA career and it is the city in which I wanted to continue it," said Lewis, who ranked fourth in the NBA in community appearances during the 2001-02 season. "Last year was very exciting and I have always felt that my future here is promising. I love playing for Nate, the rest of the coaching staff, my teammates and the fans which are among the best in the NBA. Now that I have secured my future in Seattle, I am looking forward to starting training camp and winning basketball games."

In 251 career games with the Sonics, Lewis, a member of the 2001 Goodwill Games gold medal-winning USA Men's National Team, has averaged 12.2 points and 5.6 rebounds. During the 2000-01 season, he finished ninth in the NBA in three-point field goal shooting with a percentage of .432 (123-285).

The Sonics will conduct their annual Media Day at The Furtado Center on Monday, Sept. 30 from 4-6 p.m. The team will begin training camp on Tuesday, Oct. 1 and play its first preseason game against Utah on Sunday, Oct. 6 in Spokane.

The Sonics 36th season in the NBA tips off on Thursday, Oct. 30 at KeyArena against Phoenix at 7 p.m.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Well all already figured he had signed with Seattle so I dont think there is a reason to bash him. Gotta give Cuban and Nellie there props for atleast attempting to sign Rashard and cant be mad at Rashard for being able to take over a team and get 60 mill doin it I just wanna know why in the hell it took so long. Not tryin to do the what if... but if we would have spent as much attention as we did Lewis we couldve got Clark and I know Mavs would have gone after him if Rashard had signed already regardless what the Mavs say.

1996-2005
Old 09-19-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Darn it...
Old 09-19-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie had said on DB.com that the Mavs weren't interested in Clark.. which I don't understand.

Either they are BSing, or they are set on adding just specific guys to this team -- who knows.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:28 PM   #7
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

the mavs' franchise is saved.

now, let's go get someone who actually addresses what we need.

preferably via trade.

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< Donnie had said on DB.com that the Mavs weren't interested in Clark.. which I don't understand.

Either they are BSing, or they are set on adding just specific guys to this team -- who knows.
>>

Exactly what I was thinkin. It had to be bs because how can u say that u dont want a Big Man how can do some of the things ur team cant. I dont understand it and dont believe it especially for 3 mill?

1996-2005
Old 09-19-2002, 03:50 PM   #9
Charlie Brown

are any of ya'll going to boo Lewis when he comes here?

personally, i think i would be totally retarded, show a total lack of class, and will not reflect well on the city of dallas.

but i get this feeling that's what fans are gonna do.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:56 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

It doesnt show class but it doesnt make u look retarted. I think fans at Dallas should boo him for putting us on by first off even coming here in the first place. All u hear ishow he loves Seattle and he was the 4th player in the NBA to do something for Seattles community. Lewis never planned on comin here and he knew it allhe was doin was usin Mavs to get hima big contract. Im not mad Lewis for what he did im just stating that he knew what he was doin and should have never came here and let Cuban greet him.

1996-2005
Old 09-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

&quot;Seattle is where I started my NBA career and it is the city in which I wanted to continue it,&quot; said Lewis, who ranked fourth in the NBA in community appearances during the 2001-02 season.

WOW! 4th in Community Appearances!

As many of ya'll know, I have repeatedly said since the beginning of the offseason that the Mavs need to do 3 things better to contend for a title next year.

1. Better D
2. Better Rebounding
3. More community appearances

With this sudden revelation of his many community appearances, the loss of Lewis stings more than ever.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

&lt;&lt; Donnie had said on DB.com that the Mavs weren't interested in Clark.. which I don't understand.

The Nellies likes role players that are strategically smart. I don't think Keon falls into this category.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #13
Charlie Brown

I think FAs use other teams all the time. It's just that this one got blown out to epic proportions.

Old 09-19-2002, 04:10 PM   #14
Charlie Brown

<<
The Nellies likes role players that are strategically smart. I don't think Keon falls into this category.
>>

don't know if eschmeyer falls into this category either.

nellie also raved about keon clark earlier in the season. i think the mavs were so caught up in the hope that rashard would sign with us that they didn't puruse other FA's.

that's my personal opinion, but whatever, it's not like we'll ever know the truth. we shouldn't take everything the nellies and cubes say as truth. they do fib a lot to keep the other teams guessing.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 PM   #15
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

on booing Lewis... I personally won't, because he constantly stated the Sonics were his #1 option... he basically just had the Mavs to fall back on (kind of an insurance policy) in case he couldn't get things worked out with Seattle

I'm sure there will be folks booing, but I wouldn't call them fans...
Old 09-19-2002, 04:24 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<<
>>

don't know if eschmeyer falls into this category either.

nellie also raved about keon clark earlier in the season. i think the mavs were so caught up in the hope that rashard would sign with us that they didn't puruse other FA's.

that's my personal opinion, but whatever, it's not like we'll ever know the truth. we shouldn't take everything the nellies and cubes say as truth. they do fib a lot to keep the other teams guessing.
>>

Agreed. Nellies said that so they woudlnt look stupid if Lewis worked or panned out. It didnt work so the Nellies dont look stupid and now everyone thinks they didnt want Clark.

I dont understand how uc ould want Esch over Clark but oh well.

1996-2005
Old 09-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #17
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< It doesnt show class but it doesnt make u look retarted. >>

&quot;retarted&quot;? This means what? Tarted again?

Does anyone remember Clark getting busted for pot? Not that there's anything wrong with that but it makes for poor timing to sign a guy like that when it's still fresh in the memory of fans. That didn't seem to bother the Kings but they already have CWebb signed long-term and he needed someone to pass to.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:27 PM   #18
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

look for Base Line Guy to BOO as loud as any at AAC. Not for the mere fact that Lewis signed with SEA, but that he dangled us for a LONG TIME with NO intention to sign here.

BLG
Old 09-19-2002, 06:38 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Boo if you want to, that's ok, he deserves it. Don't boo if you want to, that's ok, he deserves that as well.

I'll certainly boo him if he starts scoring against us, but I expect I won't even remember who he is. But I also expect that we will be blowing them away.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I dont know what ur trying to say David but anyway I will be booin and I will make sure I get tickets to the home game against Seattle. I agree with yall im not booin him for resiging with Seattle and not joining the Mavs but for the simple fact of him coming to Dallas and havin Cuban greet him like he did by makin him a jersey and Lewis bringin his parents as if he knew he was gonna sign here. And as far as Keon getting caught with pot u said it urself that didnt stop the Kings who really didnt even have to go out and sign a player but did and it was Keon. They got him for 3 mill? U mean to tell me if u had the chance to snag him for 3 mill u wouldnt get him? And I dont care if he got busted robbin a bank I wuold take him over our big men any day.

1996-2005
Old 09-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

free at last, free at last, oh my god free at last. So what's next for Gary Payton?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 04:16 AM   #22
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< I dont know what ur trying to say David but anyway I will be booin and I will make sure I get tickets to the home game against Seattle. I agree with yall im not booin him for resiging with Seattle and not joining the Mavs but for the simple fact of him coming to Dallas and havin Cuban greet him like he did by makin him a jersey and Lewis bringin his parents as if he knew he was gonna sign here. And as far as Keon getting caught with pot u said it urself that didnt stop the Kings who really didnt even have to go out and sign a player but did and it was Keon. They got him for 3 mill? U mean to tell me if u had the chance to snag him for 3 mill u wouldnt get him? And I dont care if he got busted robbin a bank I wuold take him over our big men any day. >>

I'm just not familiar with the word &quot;retarted&quot;. I don't know what it means. It kind of looks like the word &quot;retarded&quot; but it's a different word. As far as hiring a guy like Keon, he has issues. I prefer not to sign guys with issues. If he wants to smoke pot, that's fine. Have you ever heard about how one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch? Smoking pot shows poor judgement. What if he's stoned on court and, like Cuban, you paid $280M for a team. Do you want to hand a guy $3M to be high and possibly ruin your team and investment? What if he influences the rest of your people to give it a try?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 06:59 AM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< I dont know what ur trying to say David but anyway I will be booin and I will make sure I get tickets to the home game against Seattle. I agree with yall im not booin him for resiging with Seattle and not joining the Mavs but for the simple fact of him coming to Dallas and havin Cuban greet him like he did by makin him a jersey and Lewis bringin his parents as if he knew he was gonna sign here. >>

I don't see how you can fault the kid for signing for 40 million or so more than we could offer him. If Seattle had stayed at their original offer, he might have come here? What's a kid to do, tell dallas, thanks but no thanks, I'm not interesting in visiting because if seattle offers me 40 million dollars more than you then I will take it?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:09 AM   #24
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how anyone can fault the guy. It took me a lot longer than him to sort out the more money/better work environment issue, and I haven't even dealt with the big fish/big pond issue. The scale of his dilemnas are so far beyond anything I've dealt with that I seriously can't say what I would do, except that, like him, I'd explore all the options for as long as I could.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 03:25 PM   #25
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< I dont know what ur trying to say David but anyway I will be booin and I will make sure I get tickets to the home game against Seattle. I agree with yall im not booin him for resiging with Seattle and not joining the Mavs but for the simple fact of him coming to Dallas and havin Cuban greet him like he did by makin him a jersey and Lewis bringin his parents as if he knew he was gonna sign here. >>

I don't see how you can fault the kid for signing for 40 million or so more than we could offer him. If Seattle had stayed at their original offer, he might have come here? What's a kid to do, tell dallas, thanks but no thanks, I'm not interesting in visiting because if seattle offers me 40 million dollars more than you then I will take it?
>>

No no im not faulting him for the money issues im faulting him for even comin to dallas and even having Mavs fans hyped about him coming here but Seattle didnt add much to the deal they had before and still took it. He had no plans of comin here and I would have said that before but I didnt know teh guy was ranked 4th in the NBA in helpin his community. The money isnt the issue with me because I knew from the start that Lewis isnt worth 90 mill and he really is worth about what the Mavs were offerin him. Im happy he got his contract but it looks as if he played the whole Mavs organization.

1996-2005