Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Just announced on dallasnews.com

more details to follow. Great move IMO.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Who do you all think replaces Narron?
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:14 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Bring back Bobby V, baby [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Narron becomes fifth manager to lose his job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Jerry Narron is out as manager of the Texas Rangers after the team's third straight last-place finish in the AL West.

The Rangers were 72-90 in Narron' first full season. He was hired last season when Johnny Oates resigned after an 11-17 start.

"This has been a very difficult decision because I like and respect Jerry Narron,'' Texas general manager John Hart said Tuesday. "But we have to make some tough decisions now. Our fans deserve better than the record and performance of the 2002 Texas Rangers.''

Narron is the fifth manager fired since Sunday, the last day of the regular season. The New York Mets fired Bobby Valentine on Tuesday, while the Cubs' Bruce Kimm, Tampa Bay's Hal McRae and Detroit's Luis Pujols also were dismissed.

Hart spent several hours Monday and Tuesday meeting with owner Tom Hicks and assistant general manager Grady Fuson about the future of the team.

Narron drove home to North Carolina after Sunday's season-ending game.

The Rangers were 134-162 under him.

"I am convinced that John and Grady have made a thorough and complete evaluation in reaching the decision to change managers,'' Hicks said.

Texas struggled all season, even with All-Star shortstop Alex Rodriguez, who hit .300 and led the majors with 57 homers and 142 RBI, and an opening-day payroll of $105 million.

Texas lost 13 of its last 16 games, including a closing 1-9 road trip. The Rangers finished 31 games behind AL West champion Oakland.

Part of the problem was injuries. The Rangers had 17 players spend a team-record 1,429 days on the disabled list, including closer Jeff Zimmerman, two-time AL MVP Juan Gonzalez, 10-time All-Star catcher Ivan Rodriguez, and expected No. 1 starter Chan Ho Park.

Narron used 51 players, including a club-record 27 pitchers.

"This season has certainly been very frustrating and painful for all of us,'' Hart said. "Injuries have obviously played a major factor, but there are a number of areas in which we need to change and improve.''

Possible replacements include bench coach Terry Francona, pitching coach Orel Hershiser, and Buddy Bell.

Hart became the general manager after Doug Melvin was fired following the Rangers' 73-89 finish in 2001.

Narron became the Rangers manager on May 4, 2001. Two months later, he was given a two-year contraction extension through 2003.

Before becoming the manager, Narron was the team's third-base coach since 1995.

Old 10-01-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Please say no to Francona.
Please say no Bell (Who I loved as a player)
Please say no to Orel.
Please say no to Bobby V.

How about Buck Showalter?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:25 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

How 'bout Bill Hasselman?

I feel sorry for ya Jerry. Hart's the one that got you into this mess.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:39 PM   #7
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Great idea Dr.

I think Buck would be a great choice.

We do not need to hire from within.

Here's a vote for Showalter!!!
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:41 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Buck Showalter is a great builder. Look what he did for the Yankees and the Diamondbacks. He put a foundation in place that resulted in multiple world championships. He gets a lot of credit from the front offices in those teams.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:08 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Buck will go to NY.

Rangers leading canidate right now seems to be Jerry Emanuel(spl?). The former Indians coach.

Gawd I hope the Narron haters are happy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I am happy. I hate Narron. Maybe I will share why one day, but it's a personal experience thing. He's a tool and got what he deserved IMHO. I think I told the story here in the past.

God I hope it's not Manuel or any other former Cleveland manager.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:51 PM   #11
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

What about Nolan Ryan[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:55 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't want us to become Cleveland west.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #13
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Well, I don't want us to become Cleveland west. >>

And this is exactly what we are slowly becoming. I will be pissed if Hart hires another Cleveland guy. Honestly, when I first heard about Narron being fired the first guy I thought of was Bobby V. I love the guy but he is probably not right for rebuilding. Having said that, what about Tom Kelly? That guy has won a World Series and put out some competitive teams with no budget to work with over his long career with the Twins.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

I don't think Tom Kelly is going to leave the confines of retirement. I keep hearing Showalter, Macha (from Oakland), and Ireland (Tulsa AA).
Old 10-02-2002, 04:25 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If Hart had any class, he'd have fired himself. Hart dealt Narron the shittiest hand in the deck, and then blamed Narron for playing it.

Hart is on the official KG &quot;I hate his ass&quot; list. It's a short list, and it's not a good place to be.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:38 PM   #16
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I think they'll really regret firing him over the next 2 seasons. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Until Fuson(spl?) takes over. It appears Ranger fans don't have anything to look forward to until then. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] .