Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-17-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top 10 Shooting Guards.

(I don't understand how Carter can be ahead of Finley at this point. A couple years ago and you might have a very good argument. Plus, when did Finley develop ankle problems? Only other argument would be that I don't think of Iverson as a sg.)

1. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers: He has three rings, improved a lot as a passer last season and got much stronger. He's the new prototype, but his off-court issues are very likely to affect his game in some form this season.

2. Tracy McGrady, Orlando Magic: The only real issue with McGrady is his back. He hasn't missed a significant amount of games, but it has bothered him a significant amount of time. That aside, he is already a dream player at 24.

3. [/b]Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 76ers:[/b] His ability to dominate games is even more dramatic because he is about 6-feet and 160 pounds. He played so well for the U.S. team in Puerto Rico he might pass the above duo this season.

4. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics: The best clutch fourth-quarter scorer in the league, he is very strong and a great shooter, and he'll either get fouled or score. He damaged his reputation on the 2002 World Championship team as a selfish whiner, but the Celtics beg to differ.

5. Ray Allen, Seattle SuperSonics: He raised his play to superstar level after the Sonics got him in the Payton trade last year, and he was great in Puerto Rico. An exceptional talent and an even better person than player.

6. Vince Carter, Toronto Raptors: After constant knee issues, Carter says he's back and better than ever. His electrifying dunks aside, he doesn't have the ball-handling skills or defensive inclination of the others.

7. Michael Finley, Dallas Mavericks: Were it not for persistent ankle problems, Finley might be ahead of Carter. He is a terrific post-up player and a great shooter but can't handle the ball or pass like the top guys, either.

8. Latrell Sprewell, Minnesota Timberwolves: Injuries and playing small forward in New York stifled his game. But getting traded to Minnesota and playing his natural position should rejuvenate him.

9. Allan Houston, New York Knicks: With Sprewell gone, Houston will be more of the focal point on offense. He is the best pure shooter of this group. His overall game isn't as good as the others, but he is a solid player in all ways.

10. Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons: A great mid-range shooter, he is young and still has to get stronger, but he showed last season he could slash to the rim as well as drain jumpers. Now he has to get a consistent 3-point shot.

Others considered: Jerry Stackhouse, Washington Wizards; Bonzi Wells, Portland Trail Blazers; Jalen Rose, Chicago Bulls; Eddie Jones, Miami Heat; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs; Reggie Miller, Indiana Pacers.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Iverson is a shooting guard because he isn't a point guard. I totally agree with the list except Finley and Carter should be flipped. But calling Finley #6 or #7 is no biggie. I'm just glad the writer ranked him above Sprewell, Houston, and Hamilton.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Where's Manu Ginobilli? lol.

Isn't Dirk the one who had ankle problems in the past? I thought Finley had the hamstring problems? Carter has the most talent out of all of the shooting guards in the league he just doesn't utilize it like other shooting guards. He goes right behind Finley in my book. I think its pretty accurate. There are only 2 shooting guards I take over Finley but the list is pretty accurate.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I never thought of Paul Pierce as a 2 guard. He is but I don't know I always seem to forget him when ranking 2 guards. Same goes for T-Mac. I always seem to think of those guys as 3's. I guess because of there heights.

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Top 10 Shooting Guards.

Quote:
Finley...He is a terrific post-up player and a great shooter...
Poor analysis of the assets of Finley. He is much more than just these couple things. Finley is a main gear in the Mavs system in almost every elaborated team play. This should give him a better position in the list, maybe the 5th. But again, the ranking is based on individual aspects, not on teamwork contribution.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Spreewell is too high. A couple of years ago he was up there, but his play has slipped a little. I would put him with the best of the rest.

No problem with Finley at 7. Vince is the better player when healthy. Although I personally think of Tmac and Pierce as small forwards. Although positions are blurred these days.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I would rank Fin #5 but I didn't get to experience Ray Allen's "superstar" play so......

1996-2005
Old 09-17-2003, 11:12 PM   #8
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I can't understand why TMac isn't #1. If he played with Shaq he would have 3 rings as well.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:01 AM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
7. Michael Finley, Dallas Mavericks: Were it not for persistent ankle problems, Finley might be ahead of Carter. He is a terrific post-up player and a great shooter but can't handle the ball or pass like the top guys, either.

The seventh ranking is good, but it is still disapointing to see a guy who coasts on his athleticism like Carter be ranked higher than the Findog. It just still strikes me as a shame that Finley never really improved his ball handling skills to the level of other combo/shooting guards in the NBA- because I think that lack of ability has made a lot of pundits and fans consistently underrate Finley...

Considering the all-around versatility and constant improvement that Fin has shown in the development of his game throughout his career, this one lack of a skill-set has always surprised me. Since entering the league as a highlight dunk man and defensive stalwart with Phoenix, he has proceeded to add to his repetoire a deadly spot-up jumper, very good passing skills, and an ability to rebound and play team defense that for a while made him almost replicate the numbers of a healthy Grant Hill (back in the good old days of 98, 99, 00)....

My hunch is that if Fin could have complemented his extremely solid game with just an ounce of Latrell Sprewell's full court, ball-handling fluidity and scoring ability, Finley could have ascended the ranks to become one of the two or three most highly regarded shooting guards in the league...

Oh well... Whether or not pundits think Fin is the 4th or 15th best shooting guard in the league, it will still be sweet to see the selfless, talented, but workmanlike Finley hold aloft a well-deserved NBA championship trophy sometime within the next three years...
Old 09-18-2003, 12:05 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

what's gotten into you, evilmav?

that was almost poetic
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:18 AM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just think that over the last few years, Finley's unfortunate lack of ball-handling ability might been the razor-thin difference between his becoming the very special player that he is, or becoming the truly great, dominating player that he might have been...

Regardless of that though, I still believe that his undoubted loyalty, talent, and leadership will play a great part in leading our Mav's to the championship. Fin is the rock on which this team was built, and as I said before, watching him hold aloft the championship trophy will be very sweet indeed...
Old 09-18-2003, 12:30 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it could be the difference between him being a two time all-star and a borderline hall of famer.

imagine if he could have taken it to the rack with authority 5-6 times a game..
Old 09-18-2003, 07:55 AM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Man, this writer is way off base on Finley. I don't care where he puts Fin coz I don't put much stock in things like this. I don't think Fin has ever had ankle problems. Maybe he's confusing him with Dirk?
Old 09-18-2003, 08:27 AM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

This list is the most accurate of the "Top 10" lists I've seen. That said, I also would flip Finley and Carter and would take Sprewell off the list entirely and add Jalen Rose.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:34 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

before last year, i actually had pierce ahead of AI..we'll see if pierce can bounce back and have a solid season
Old 09-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #16
razap

razap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

Isn't Dirk the one who had ankle problems in the past? I thought Finley had the hamstring problems? Carter has the most talent out of all of the shooting guards in the league he just doesn't utilize it like other shooting guards. He goes right behind Finley in my book. I think its pretty accurate. There are only 2 shooting guards I take over Finley but the list is pretty accurate.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:58 AM   #17
razap

razap is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think Manu is getting ready to get his championship ring..lol (i hate the 'lol' saying). I never got involved in the Manu vs Finley debate but I was quite amused at the notion that Finley is heads above Manu. Now I will say right now Finley is the better player but I think in the long run Manu will fall into the catgeory of a joe dumars, or michael cooper,.. no I am not going to make the claim that Manu will be in the hall of fame (neither will finley) but his role on the spurs is similar to the guys that I mentioned. I don't think manu or Finley would be as good as they are now if they swapped teams because Manu is great defender while Finley is average. Finley is a much more potent scorer and refined offesnively than Manu will ever be so I can't see Manu succeeding in the mavs system. I would not trade Manu for Finley for anything.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:06 AM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just think that over the last few years, Finley's unfortunate lack of ball-handling ability might been the razor-thin difference between his becoming the very special player that he is, or becoming the truly great, dominating player that he might have been...
I agree 100% with whoever made this comment. I think people critique Fin's ball handling skills a bit too much. He has good enough ball handling skills to get him to the basket, to get the ball up the court also. His ballhandling skills are ONLY not good enough if a team is applying pressure. Meaning he's not a guard you would give the ball too and tell everyone else to get out of the way. Other two guards do have that capability but Fin doesn't. Also wasn't Fin like the number three scoring two guard in the Western conference last year. Also I don't think Pierce is a two guard, shoots as many 3's as a two guard but I don't think he is.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:35 PM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheKid
Quote:
I agree 100% with whoever made this comment. I think people critique Fin's ball handling skills a bit too much. He has good enough ball handling skills to get him to the basket, to get the ball up the court also. His ballhandling skills are ONLY not good enough if a team is applying pressure. Meaning he's not a guard you would give the ball too and tell everyone else to get out of the way. Other two guards do have that capability but Fin doesn't. Also wasn't Fin like the number three scoring two guard in the Western conference last year. Also I don't think Pierce is a two guard, shoots as many 3's as a two guard but I don't think he is.

I agree with you strongly. Where've you been at Kid?

1996-2005
Old 09-18-2003, 03:41 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: razap
Quote:

I think Manu is getting ready to get his championship ring..lol (i hate the 'lol' saying). I never got involved in the Manu vs Finley debate but I was quite amused at the notion that Finley is heads above Manu. Now I will say right now Finley is the better player but I think in the long run Manu will fall into the catgeory of a joe dumars, or michael cooper,.. no I am not going to make the claim that Manu will be in the hall of fame (neither will finley) but his role on the spurs is similar to the guys that I mentioned. I don't think manu or Finley would be as good as they are now if they swapped teams because Manu is great defender while Finley is average. Finley is a much more potent scorer and refined offesnively than Manu will ever be so I can't see Manu succeeding in the mavs system. I would not trade Manu for Finley for anything.

Umm ok LOL. I never made this out to be a Fin vs. Manu in this thread. Manu didn't make the list at all. We should be comparing him to Rip Hamilton rather than Finley. No one never said that Manu will not be a better player in the long run than Finley. I just haven't seen any signs that he can be the player Finley is or was for that matter. LMAO@ even putting Manu in the same sentenece as Joe Dumars and Michael Cooper. Manu has 1 year under his belt. It's insane to compare a 1 year player to a 9 year pro in Finley.

1996-2005
Old 09-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #21
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
I can't understand why TMac isn't #1. If he played with Shaq he would have 3 rings as well.

Shoot, if I played with Shaq, I'd have championship rings too. See: Mark Madsen

There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote