Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-08-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

FINALLY something to get excited about..football's here! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

What, my thread not good enough for ya dj? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 04:39 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Doh! All those "sexy" male and female posts in the way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboy look pretty much like a replay of last year right now. Can't pick up 2 yards when they need them. Quincy is the player who has come close to being intercepted.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

2 more attempts at 3rd and short. No go.. It will unfortunately become obvious that hambrick will be the guy as the season goes on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 09-08-2002, 10:45 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Well, about what I was expecting. Didn't think Houston would score 17 though. GREAT win for the Texans, embarassing loss for the cowboys.

Congrats to the Texans.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:51 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I cant belive they lost. The offensive line and the secondary played horrible and so was the whole offense.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:54 PM   #8
Fin4MVP

Fin4MVP is on a distinguished road

Quincy didn't have a good game, but I put this on the O-Line. They are to damn good to let QC take the punishment he did. I sure feel sorry for him, I put this on the coaches calling the plays and the O-Line. Coslett is screwing up, he runs the ball and gets 3 yards on 1st, and turn around and run it again on 2nd. Then come 3rd down, and it's a 3rd and long where you got to throw it. Man, I feel sorry for the kid.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:09 PM   #9
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Where were the recievers? Man Houston shut Bryant down. Where were the tight ends? Where were the plays? Defense played good enough to win...

Man it is going to be a long season.....
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 11:39 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Carter blows. He isn't smart enough to be an NFL QB.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:03 AM   #11
Fin4MVP

What could he do when his O-Line gave him no time? Quincy Carter is very smart, and is definitely smart enough to be an starting NFL quarter back. Not much he could do when the O-Line gave him no time at all. Not to mention that Coslett called a horrible game, and QC was forced to make big plays on 3rd downs. Coslett would run on 1st and 2nd, and QC would have no choice but to make a big play on every 3rd down. What are you basing this on? I have read articles saying that Carter is very smart, so I dont get it. He may not initially sound like the smartest guy in the world but after listening to him for a while, he shows that he is very smart.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:48 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

Quincy stunk it up out there. David Carr looked like a more experienced quarterback. Quincy should have had about 8 interceptions. He had better improve, if not the texans may have a better record than the cowboys after all is said and done.

But our inability to get short yardage when needed has been a thorn in our sides for more than 3 years now, either the line or emmitt is over-rated. I would like to see a bigger back (ahem Hambrick) on short yardage.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:57 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I don't care how hard you state it...Quincy Carter is NOT smart.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:12 AM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i dont know where you got that from.

carter scored one of the highest scores on the wonderlic test, EVER. in case you didnt know, the test basically measures intelligence and apptitude. you can say hes not many thing, such as an accurate passer.

but to say he isnt smart, just isn't accurate.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:19 AM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I agree aexchange and I think he is NOT a good quarterback but I don't think it has anything to do with smarts, I don't think he's talented enough to play quarterback. People think just because you're athletic and have experience at a position you can do it at the next level, but NO!!! He's not good enough to be quarterback.

Also, I know you guys are in love with Emmitt and I think he's one of the greatest in history BUT he should shut it down now... He will LIMP past that record and he just doesn't have it anymore.. Someone said Emmitt may get 20,000 yards, it will NOT happen!!!!! Sorry!!!! It's time for Emmitt to call it a career...
Old 09-09-2002, 10:24 AM   #16
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

After a night of sleeping on it, here are my thoughts:

Lets face it, the Texans played out of their minds and had to do EVERYTHING right to win that game and they did. The Cowboys undersetimated them as did the rest of the world. Does this tell us anything about how good the Cowboys are going to be this year? Maybe, but probably not. Let's not let the loss overshadow what reality told us last night. It might tell us that Chad Hutchinson is a better option than Quincy and that Roy Williams only plays one side of the field but the good news is that these things can be rectified. The good: the defensive line did it's job eventualy. Antonio Bryant showed hints of promise. Galloway got off to a decent start. The running game was effective when they were doing it. I just don't think this loss is cause to worry due to the x-factor of the situation. I am going to withhold my judgement until I see them at least play a couple of games and see what they do to resolve problems. I almost guarantee you that Hutchinson will be starting soon and I can almost guarantee you that the secondary had some jitters last night that will become less and less as the weeks go on. It was a shocker. But it's not worth jumping ship just yet.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:40 AM   #17
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Emmitt can still average 80/85 yds a game in this league, but the OL has to play MUCH better than last night, and it would help to have a quarterback who wasn't sitting on his own shoulders.

However, Emmitt hasn't been a good short yardage back since '98 or so. I agree with 3rd and 3, put in Hambrick. He lowers his shoulder like Eddie George does, so he'll end up getting hurt one of these days, but might as well use what we got.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:45 AM   #18
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Emmitt can still average 80/85 yds a game in this league, but the OL has to play MUCH better than last night >>

Let's not forget that the offensive line is banged up right now. It's hard to judge it until it is healthy. But they were definitely outplayed last night.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:43 PM   #19
Fin4MVP

I think Carter needs to just settle down, it was obvious to me that he was to pumped up last night. He will do better, alot better in my opinion. I knew he was smart, I don't know where he got that from that QC was not smart. The guy is very smart, and after you listen to him for a while it's pretty obvious.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:41 PM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

It is becoming clear that not only is Quincy Carter the worst starting quarterback in the NFL, he may possibly be the worst quarterback on any roster, period. I doubt there is a first, second, or even third string quarterback that would have fared worse last night than Carter. For those of you that missed the game, all I can tell you is that he lowered the bar for bad quarterback play. For any other second year quarterback, I might be inclined to write his performance off as inexperience or even attribute it to nervous opening day jitters.. but I have seen enough of Carter, both as a professional and as an amateur, to realize that his lack of production has less to do with inexperience and everything to do with the fact that his skills don't come close to those of a competitent NFL quarterback. He is absolutely the worst looking quarterback I have ever seen in the NFL. His accuracy is pathetic. His football intelligence and descision making are absolutely unacceptable. He's not even that good of a scrambler. Again, I can tolerate poor play if I see any resemblance of an upside. But Quincy is bad... really bad. And I don't see him getting much better. Ever.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #21
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Sorry for you Cowboy fans...Happy for my team...It has been a long road for me since my Oilers left for Nashville. It was very special for us Houston Texans/Oilers fans to have them just playing again. Nice game Cowboys. Good luck on the rest of your season. I hope the Texans play poorly from here on out and snag another #1 pick in the draft...

Old 09-09-2002, 03:11 PM   #22
Fin4MVP

Your post is ridiculous, and way off Madape.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:45 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I don't know if it's way off. Now I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the worst QB I've seen, BUT from what I've seen, he's pretty damn bad.. I do think Hutchinson will be there before the end of the season too, I will NOT be surprised..

By the way, say what you want to say.. Emmitt can still get you 85 yards a game, but since when has that been good for an elite running back?? Especially when you have one on the bench that can get you 100 yards a game??
Old 09-09-2002, 03:46 PM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Despite your convincing retort Fin4MVP, I'll stand by my evaluation of Carter. Carter is terrible. Yet somehow he has managed to complete enough lame-duck wobbly passes against stripped down, dumbed down, preseason defenses, to convince many Cowboys fans that he's worth his weight in shit. I'm not dumb enough to beleive Jerry Jone's B.S. about Quincy playing like crap in practice, but incredible in games. He plays like shit in games too! My folks always used to say &quot;If it looks like shit and smells like shit... then it's probably shit&quot;. Carter looks, smells, sounds and tastes like the biggest log Nate Newton ever left floating in a Cowboy locker room toilet. Unfortunately, it seems the only way Carter can convince blind Cowboy coaches and stupid Cowboy fans that he's not the second coming of Roger Staubach, is for him to lead the Cowboys to 16 straight losses. So go ahead Fin4MVP and the rest of you Quincy Carter delusionals. Hoist your new quarterback messiah onto your shoulders and march towards the super bowl. Just make sure you wash up afterwards, because no chicks will talk to you with shit stains on your back.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #25
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

This is how I see it I see a thousand Quincy sucks post but im sorry this game doesnt belong to Quincy. The ol messed it up for us. Quincy has the chance of being a good quarterback I believe. Will he be the next Favre? No. How about Aikman? Nope. Well not that I beleive he will but who knows. Quincy has the chance of being a decent quarterback maybe better. If anyone knows football we can honestly say that Quincy was hyped which someone posted earlier. He wasnt relaxed at all and looked jumpy. This offensive line is horrible other than Larry Allen the OL has no one any good or has a chance to start for other teams. Gurode is a rookie so im gonna give him a chance. The thing about Quincy is Coslet isnt the guy for him. Quincy needs plays like the ATL Falcons have. You fix this OL or if they happened to play any better than we go 8-8 atleast. The defense is fine and Laroi Glover was the best thing to happen to the Cowboys since the last championship game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:14 PM   #26
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

2 more things Emmit can still get his 8-85 of course. Emmitt continues to run on his left side of the line he can. That ride side of the line looks horrible im sure if anyone has the stats it will show that it is. THe offensive line is very ovverated because they once were the best but the Nates and tha Tunai's and the Stepnoskis are all gone. Larry Allen is great but its going to have to be more for this team to be succesful. No way TExans would have scored 19 if the Cowboys offesne was playign well.

The other point is who is QCart suppose to throw the ball too? Rambo couldnt keep his hands on the ball and Bryant well I give Bryant props because he did okay for a rookie last nite. Galloway did okay also was a bit suprised that he never got the ball again last nite.

1996-2005
Old 09-09-2002, 04:38 PM   #27
Fin4MVP

I agree FFM

I put this on the O Coordinator and the O Line.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:12 PM   #28
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

i agree it was the ol's fault but the ol had never practiced together in the preseason and never seen a 3-4 defense. Also qc is going to be a good quaterback probaly like brooks or even mcnab. Just wait and see!
Old 09-09-2002, 05:17 PM   #29
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Also special teams play was poor we need rs back out there retuning kicks and punts (we did loose a fumble in st)
Old 09-09-2002, 05:22 PM   #30
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< By the way, say what you want to say.. Emmitt can still get you 85 yards a game, but since when has that been good for an elite running back?? Especially when you have one on the bench that can get you 100 yards a game?? >>

I'd LOVE to see him try.

Hambrick is decent, he might end up being more than decent. But I don't understand what the love affair with him is all about.

I do feel pretty confident in saying he'll never get 1600 yards in a season. Never, ever, ever. I don't care who he plays for.

oh, also.. Carter, I don't know what's up with that dude. Sometimes he looks like he could be pretty good. But last night, someone needed to just whisper in his ear and remind him that Aaron Glenn is good.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:31 PM   #31
Fin4MVP

I agree with #1MavsFan, I think Carter will be very good. Once he calms down and play his game, he will be good. A OLines job is to protect and give the quarterback time, and they did neither last night.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:11 PM   #32
madape
Diamond Member

OK.. I'll play along. I'll join the rest of the lollipop gang in never-never land for a little while. Tra-la-la! Quincy is good. Tra-la-la! He's got a great arm. Tra-la-la! He reads the field well. Tra-la-la! He's poised in the pocket. Tra-la-la! He finds the open man. Tra-la-la! Akili Smith! Kill me kill me kill me kill me kill me!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:16 PM   #33
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I wanted carter to do well to shut up all of the naysayers, but plain and simple, he is not good. He will be terrible today, tomorrow, next week and next year and years down the road. True, he scored well on the wonderlik, but it takes more than that to be even a decent QB in the NFL. He has no poise, no awareness in the pocket, horrible accuracy, and many other factors working against him. I don't know if Hutch is the answer either. Oh well, it looks like the onus is on the D again to try and will a few games this season. Hopefully, that will happen.

And RCF, you're a fucking nimwit.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:27 PM   #34
Fin4MVP

Why don't you guys give him a chance? He is young, and the O-Line gave him no chance at all last night. He will do better next game once he calms down and plays his game. I love the Cowboys so I am wishing for the best of course, and I think Carter will be a very good quarterback if he is given the oppurtunity. He is under a new coordinator, just give him a chance guys.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 PM   #35
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Im not sure if u guys noticed but QCART hastn even been in the league a whole season and he is getting judged. IM one of the fans who wants to see him suceed and last nite didnt help my point either. But I go back and look at what he did at the end of the season and think if he playsl ike he did in the end of the season he is a decent qb. Maybe first game gitters I dont konw but I konw one thing I have heard Wade Wilson give this guy to many props to say he sucks. Who do u guys want to see Hutchinson? See the backup qb take the role of the starting job? This isnt the movies and this for damn sure isnt Any Given Sunday. Give the guy a chance and let ANtonio Bryant develop before u judge Qcart. I expect Qcart to have a better game next week mark my words. If he doesnt I jump on the bandwaggon to say he sucks which tells u that I believe Qcart is gonna have a nice game.

1996-2005
Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

There are smarts and there are football smarts and Carter has neither. I don't give a crap about some dumbass standardized test either. Carter had his head up his ass all night. Don't blame it on the coaching either. Carter misread his plays all night and it was obvious to anyone who has ever played.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:14 PM   #37
Fin4MVP

I agree FFM, Carter will have a better game next week.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:22 PM   #38
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< There are smarts and there are football smarts and Carter has neither. I don't give a crap about some dumbass standardized test either. Carter had his head up his ass all night. Don't blame it on the coaching either. Carter misread his plays all night and it was obvious to anyone who has ever played. >>

You get all of this out of 1 game? Amazing. Maybe becasue I play high school football im on Carters side tomuch becuase I know how it i sto be critcized when u dont play to expectations but like I said im gonna give Carter a chance before I judge him. If his OL still havent gotten familiar with there roles then Carter is gonna suck again simple as that. Do u guys actually think Texans suck? That team is full of Pro Bowlers. Thats no excuse tho Cowboys still should have won the game but im just a bit suprised to see everyone thinking the Cowboys were gonna win the game lol.

1996-2005
Old 09-09-2002, 09:07 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

FFM- I played all the way through college (SWC). I have seen backup college guys make their reads better than Quincy. He doesn't have a grasp of teh game. It is sad. He wouldn't have even been QB at Georgia if he had stayed in school. They were moving him to the slot. That tells me enough. He has no field presence.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:18 PM   #40
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< FFM- I played all the way through college (SWC). I have seen backup college guys make their reads better than Quincy. He doesn't have a grasp of teh game. It is sad. He wouldn't have even been QB at Georgia if he had stayed in school. They were moving him to the slot. That tells me enough. He has no field presence. >>

But this is the pros lol. Did u not see what Quincy did in preseason let alone the end of the season last season? How can u say he cant make his reads lol. He had a bad game we all know but can u honestly say its fair to judge someone on 1 game. If u were a qb and had a bad game would u want to be judged just on 1 game? Like I said u can bring up all his info at Georgia and he isnt gonna be the best qb in the game I don tfeel. He has the opprutunity of being atleast decent I feel. I think we can all agree that he is athletic but who do u suppose we put in the game? Stoerner or Hutchinson? I still think WRight was the best qb on this team but oh well.

1996-2005