Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-15-2001, 05:05 PM   #1
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

What is all this talk of everyone wanting to trade Finley? Come on, think about it. I know Finley is not going to be the man, but seriously, trading the player who stuck through all this bullshit of under 20 win seasons, became the teams first all-star in this modern Mavericks era, the man who has made so many clutch shots, think about that. Trading him would be like saying this: "Thanks a lot Fin, you've been a bright spot in a team that mediocrity has been a goal. You've done so much for us, and to thank you, we're trading you. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out". Honestly, if you're looking simply at the ball not going into the hoop, you really don't understand basketball. Players are going to hit bad streaks. Players who average above 40 minutes during a long season and playoffs, never miss a game, pour their heart and soul onto the court are going to have bad games, and they're going to slow down. It's just physically impossible to expect him to do what we are accustomed to night in, night out for 92 games. Cut him some slack.
Finley has done more for this franchise than anybody else, and trading him would be a great injustice to him and what he has accomplished. Hopefully, you will read this and realize how silly this trade talk is.
Old 05-15-2001, 05:10 PM   #2
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

There isn't any way the Mavs would trade Finley. They aren't that dumb...at least I hope not.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 05:11 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I don't want to trade Finley unless we rape the other team. Finley for Vince Carter? Done in a heartbeat. There's loyalty and then there's business. That would strictly be business. Nellie traded his favorite player on the team, Hubert Davis, because he thought the deal would make the Mavs better. I expect no less.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 05:22 PM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I've all ready spoke my peace on it. We know what I think about the entire situation. I even said I would think it's crazy to trade even for Vince and I LOOOOOVVVVEEE Vince Carter too. I just think to break up the chemistry now regardless of who it was for would be taken a step backwards.

The only reason I didn't think it was such a horrible deal to trade Laettner and the other guys was because they were farely new too (with the exception of Davis). So I wouldn't even trade Dirk for Duncan. There's ONE PERSON and I mean ONE, if we could do something to get him here I would be for and that's Shaq! Other than that, NO ONE!
Old 05-15-2001, 05:39 PM   #5
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

I mean if we could somehow get Iverson, Shaq, AND Duncan here... Id be open to doing any trade and playing with a bunch of CBA players as the extras...
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 05:40 PM   #6
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Sorry... Im just being stupid. Fin is a free agent anyway. We'd have to sign him 1st.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 08:31 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Reggie,
no one really no one wnts to trade Fin here. Go to the thread where it was discussed and you´ll see.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 11:25 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Reggie, welcome to Dirks kingdom. There's been a few changes here, hope you can adapt.

Let me update you quickly--Im sure the Dirk fanatics will fill in what I've failed to mention.

Dirk busted out for 42 points in 47 minutes play in a loss against SA that ended our season. He also grabbed 18 rebounds while stealing the ball 6 times as well. He joined 'the' Michael Jordon as the only player to register 40-15-5 (I think that's right) in a playoff game. He did this with ill-effects from food poisoning and a fake tooth. Can you imagine?

On the other hand Finley shot 1-17 in 39 minutes of play, managed to grab only 2 rebounds and dish out only 4 assists (team high). He did have two steals but turned the ball over once. Damn his ball-handling skills! Ignore the fact that in the previous game that he played all 48 minutes and doing so without a turnover (Mavs playoff record, btw--but who cares about that).

Finley lost this series for us by trying to be the man and not passing the ball to Dirk every time down. We're all hoping that Fin takes a page from the David Robinson (Robinson to Duncan) book and declare Dirk the best player to ever model a Maverick jersey and step aside as team leader and holder of the heart-and-soul of the team.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:33 PM   #9
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

LOL MavsFanFinley [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2001, 12:49 AM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

MavsFanFinley - Finley lost this series for us by trying to be the man and not passing the ball to Dirk every time down.

Wow! Either you're serious and stupid or you're joking and an ass. I really hate it when some people can't debate a point so they ridicule the other person's position. Real class act.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:36 AM   #11
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

i agree reggie, we wouldn't have made it in the playoffs without Fin
Old 05-16-2001, 08:36 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

reggie, 99% of the people here have said don't trade finley unless it's something too good to pass up, and i don't see that coming along, ever.
i expect him to be a mav for the rest of his career.
and i want him to be a mav for the rest of his career.

and mavsfinleyfan,
very little has even been brought up about dirk's last game. very little
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 08:41 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

and of course, the mavs don't make the playoffs this past year without finley, or dirk.
they've both been huge. but both have things to work on in the off season and both could come back better players than last year.
Old 05-16-2001, 02:56 PM   #14
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Sorry MavsFanFinley
but you got a little confused there. The talk about Fin/Dirk goes on now for a few weeks. It started way before the playoffs and definitly has nothing to do with just one game. Also alot of the peaople debating that issue were trying to be objective (I would at lest include MFFL and me).
We were just debating opinions, while your post is showing exactly that you bring in personal stuff. You would like this to be Finley´s place still instead of Dirk´s. Just because you like Finley better and you can´t exept the fact that someone likes Dirk better. Just what´s wrong with that. I like Dirk better, but I say that Finley is also a very important part of the team. Also I believe with others (MFFL) that it´s necessary for the Mavs to install Dirk as the main offensive weapon. What´s wrong with that?
If you have a different opinion that´s fine. That just what we are here for: debating opinions. No need to take it personal and get on other people.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:10 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

Look we've all ready established it's Finley's world and everyone else are squirrels trying to get a nut. It's ok, it's settled [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2001, 03:18 PM   #16
Fidel
Diamond Member

Did you just say it was Dirk´s world?? It´s ok than, I´ll leave it alone. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2001, 03:19 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

you can tell that thekid is someone not to be trusted, just look at his icon
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2001, 05:20 PM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Actually MFFL, I was just recapping some of the posts that people have posted here for Reggie--he asked what all the trade Finley crap was about?

I forget names, but why point fingers, we're all friends here.

Someone said that Dirk should touch the ball every time down the court, ala Garnett. Also, someone posted that Finley should stop trying to be the man, it hurts the team. Someone also posted that Dirk should get 30-40 shots a game while Finley should be 20-30, I believe. I may have to go back and get the actual numbers down for fact.

Fidel_Castro, until recently did people start to lighten up on Finley. Before it was he needs this, needs that, stop this, stop that, etc...He'll never be this, never that. While praising Dirk beyond insanity, and again--until recently did they actually say something that he could improve on.

I have no problem with people liking Dirk better than Fin, I think I've made that obvious. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with some of this worshiping of Dirk, not long ago, we Finley worshipers (or Finley ass-kissers as we were called) were bashed for the same thing.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:40 PM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

MavsFinley, as I told LAM, I'll continue kissing his ass if that's how he wants to refer to it. I think all of us need to cool out now with that stuff because the way I see it is, we have a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG way to go now before we see those dudes on the court together again, and we'll run out of things to talk about once the season starts.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:09 PM   #20
Fidel
Diamond Member

MavsFanFinley,
the suggestion that every possesion should go through Dirk came from MFFL. What´s wrong with suggesting this? Some would agree, some won´t. The debate of Finley trying to be The Man came up after the Howrd trade were some believed that Howard/Fin were freezin Dirk. Dirk shooting 30 is out of the MVP thread were we just dicussed Iverson as MVP and someone (could be me) said Dirk would score more than Iverson if he took 30 shots. But you can include alot of players here, definily Finley is one of them.
So that´s all from different places and doesn´t really fit together, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the last game against the Spurs.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:12 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Also in all of the threads no one said Dirk was perfect. We were always saying he must improve his low post game, his passing and his defense.
Old 05-16-2001, 07:01 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

Thanks for defending me fidel - I hate it when people like MavsFanFinley selectively read and then put together opinions based on their interpretation on what someone else's opinion was.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:56 PM   #23
Fidel
Diamond Member

Np [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I hate that too.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:56 PM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i dont see dirks passing skills as being a really bad skill that he has at the moment or something that hes lacking in.

i think he could use a better low post game in the blocks, and his defensive intensity and footwork need to be better. otherwise, hes ready to BOOM!

finley needs to work on his ball handling. although i love the man, and hes clutch he still makes routinely dumb passes and mishandles on the ball.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 11:03 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

I believe it was fidel who originally said that passing was what Dirk and his mentor were going to be working on this summer.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:31 PM   #26
scooterj5
Golden Member

For his height Dirk's assits numbers aren't too bad. The only 7 footers with higher I think would be Shaq, KG and Vlade.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:44 AM   #27
MFFL
Guru

I wouldn't have picked passing skills as the thing Dirk needs to work on first. Low post moves - yeah baby!
Old 05-19-2001, 08:05 AM   #28
scooterj5
Golden Member

He can shoot the three and he has height, now he needs to work on a KILLER drive to the hole. Imagine that.
Old 05-19-2001, 08:19 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

no one has said anything about dirk being perfect.
people are amazed at how good he is, how young he is, and how tremendous his upside is.
it's just going to get to the point very quickly to where he is the main man offensively.
yes, him and finley both have things to work on.

people sometimes read posts without knowing in what context the post was written. and then they generalize that everyone is finley hating or something.
get a grip
Old 05-19-2001, 12:31 PM   #30
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I believe it was fidel who originally said that passing was what Dirk and his mentor were going to be working on this summer.

That was me, but I'm not really certain- I was told this over the phone by the Evilmav some time ago...
Old 05-19-2001, 11:41 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

Sorry Mavinator. I made a mistake. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2001, 01:06 PM   #32
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Hey, no worries, buddy...
Old 05-22-2001, 05:39 AM   #33
scooterj5
Golden Member

Who were you talking about murphy?
Old 05-22-2001, 08:21 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

i can't remember names...whoever started this thread for one