Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-20-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Maybe some of the mods could make this a sticky?
So that everyone who visits dallas-mavs.com remembers to vote.
Dirk really has a chance to be a starter this year. I´m going to post similar things on all the german bball sites I know. Simply click here to go to the ballot.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2002, 02:35 PM   #2
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

keep this post high [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

steve has a good chance too,he's third behind francis and kobe,he needs to be second to be a starter.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:05 PM   #4
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Why no sticky?
Don´t care or what?
Old 12-22-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'll help you bump this up. BTW dont forget about Finley if I am correct he is right behind Kobe in votes lol. He won't make starter but it wouldn't hurt to have lots of votes being it could reflect on being a back up at the game. With people around the league talking about how undderrated Finley is I am starting to believe he could really possibly make it being he has no other threat at the shooting guard position in the west other then Kobe. Dirk is a lock and Nash could be also.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 10:08 PM   #6
Fidel
Diamond Member

FFM, I didn´t mean to vote for Dirk only. Of course everyone should vote for all the Mavs IMO. I was just trying to point out that it is really important to vote this year, because Dirk has a realistic chance to be a starter. Every vote might be important. As for Fin, he definitly deserves some more votes. I´m pretty sure all 3 will make it anyways, if not through voting then by coaches decission (at least if the Mavs can keep the pace and still have the best record come all star weekend). But wouldn´t it be cool if we send a starter too? So everyone vote.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I'm voting for Dirk, Nash and writing in Nick all the time since If ound out that cookies someone explained. I think it's wrong how Duncan leads in votes when Dirk is playing better but I still think he has a chance.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:52 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

edit: double post.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:53 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

*Bump*
And I still wish someone could tell me why this can´t be a sticky.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:07 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:22 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Who are people voting for anyway?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 04:19 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had some confusion on another board and hoped we might get this cleared up.

1. Do you HAVE to vote for both conferences to have your vote count. the other board said yes.
2. The instructions said to vote for 2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center. Does that mean your vote won't be counted if you vote for dirk, steve,finley, raef and then van excel as a write-in??

Inquiring minds want to know.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:03 PM   #13
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road

My ballots have been:
Dirk, Finley, Nash, NVE (write-in) and Yao Ming. Wanta see somebody other than Shaq!

East: J.Oneal, Kidd, A.Iverson and Ben Wallace.

Voting about 20times daily.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:55 PM   #14
Ike

Ike is on a distinguished road

I think Finley, Nash, Dirk, will be starters for this year.

With Finley's offense, Nash's offense and making a good pass to the right man, and Dirk's offense and rebounding.They will be a deadly combination.

Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:37 AM   #15
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

There won't be any Mvs player starting, not even Dirk.

If you only look at the Effeciency Ranking: Dirk is 6th in the league, but only 3rd out of Western Power Forwards!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:38 AM   #16
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

His bonus is the Mavs' record of 24-4 of course...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:17 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< There won't be any Mvs player starting, not even Dirk.

If you only look at the Effeciency Ranking: Dirk is 6th in the league, but only 3rd out of Western Power Forwards!
>>

Of cource many of the people voting don't look at the numbers. The starting player is just a popularity contest. Good numbers get you exposure on highlight clips and such. And some fans do look closer at the numbers. But most need to see the players. That's where national TV exposure can help. Unfortunately although the Mavs haven't lost many times, they haven't done spectacturaly on national TV. A few more games on national TV like last night's game would have helped him tremendously. But I got to believe if Dirk and the Mavs keep progressing, its just a question of time before he gets the start.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:55 AM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

<< The starting player is just a popularity contest. >>

I think the NBA should have rights to overturn some starters b/c of they're popularity. Last yr, Francis started and scored the least amount of points in last season's all-star, and didn't play most of the 1st half of last season. This yr Vince Carter is getting the most votes even though the only thing he was credited for doing this season was dancing at a Nelly Concert. And Shaq should get no votes b/c he missed a lot of games, his team is terrible, and he slams his teammates. He should still be in the all-star game is b/c there are no other popular centers.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 07:50 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

West: Nash, Finley, Nowitzki, Duncan, Ming

Is this lineup a little chauvinistic/provincial or what? Three Mavs, and Texas-only players. To be fair, I've had to throw a couple of votes Kobe's way too.

East: Kidd, McGrady, Hill, J.O'Neal, Wallace

I'd love to see these teams match up. While the West is generally regarded as having better talent, I think this small East team would match up pretty well defensively with the Texas All-Stars.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #20
Fidel
Diamond Member

Kikki, why do you vote Duncan? Right now he´s ahead of Dirk. Or do you think Dirk can´t catch him anyways?

I usually vote Dirk, Fin, Nash plus LaFrentz or Bradley, sometimes that vote goes to Yao. My second forward vote is a write in for any available Mav most of the times, sometimes I vote Potapenko or Kirilenko. Also the Drobber, Rasho Nesterovic, Jaric, Tskitishvili, Sabonis, Desmond Mason, Pia and Hilario and Savovic (shocking, I know).

In the east it usually goes like: Baron Davis, Ray Allen, MJ, vanHorn, and Big Z. I also voted for N'diaye, Shawn Kemp, Wolkowyski, Mike Miller, Toni Kukoc, MacCulloch. That´s all I can remember.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:25 AM   #21
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Awww, Fidel.....I can tell you're a calculating one.

I voted that lineup because it looked like the best 5.

But since you mention it, I'm not sure that Dirk would surpass Duncan bassed on their seasons (and given Duncan's reputation) to date.

I would love to see Yao Ming be voted a starter over Shaq. My guess is that The Big Back-Up would then refuse to play, which would open another spot for a Maverick.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:09 AM   #22
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

LINK

Mavericks Notes
Voters sought for Big Three
By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - With an NBA-best 25-4 record, the Mavericks are issuing an all-out plea to their fans: Vote for the Big Three to start in the All-Star Game.

The Big Three, of course, are forward Dirk Nowitzki and guards Michael Finley and Steve Nash. Nash and Nowitzki played in their first All-Star Game last season, picked as reserves by Western Conference coaches, and West coaches voted Finley onto the All-Star squad in 2000 and 2001.

Jason Kidd is the only player who has represented the Mavs as an All-Star starter.

This season's game is Feb. 9 in Atlanta, and fans can vote through Jan. 12, by obtaining ballots from the Mavs or by going online to www.nba.com.

&quot;We've got about 4 million people in the Metroplex,&quot; said Matt Fitzgerald, the team's senior vice president of marketing and communications. &quot;If you can get 5 percent of those people to vote every day for the next 10 days, we could pick up 2 million votes just like that.&quot;

The Mavericks have organized contests involving 17 elementary schools, 10 high schools, four church youth groups and four Mavericks youth basketball teams concerning who can punch the most All-Star ballots. The top group wins a day at their school that includes appearances by the Mavericks cheerleaders, Mavs Man and the Funslingers.

Also, any fan who fills out 100 ballots at a home game receives a T-shirt and is entered in a drawing for a Sony PlayStation 2 and an autographed basketball.

&quot;We've gotten a tremendous response,&quot; Fitzgerald said. &quot;Our biggest problem is getting more ballots to punch out.&quot;

The NBA supplies each team with 125,000 ballots. The Mavericks have filled out 90,000 ballots, and have requested and received an additional 40,000 ballots. They needed only 30,000 ballots last season.

After the first votes were announced two weeks ago, Nowitzki was third among forwards (with 450,467 votes), Nash was third among guards (296,114) and Finley was sixth among guards (166,942).

After the first votes were tallied last season, Nowitzki had 100,190 votes, Finley had 65,768 and Nash had 45,369.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:14 AM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

If Shane Battier gets in the all-star game, it will be my fault.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:36 PM   #24
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I can't keep this up.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #25
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm burning out too. When is the second round of vote totals coming in?
Old 01-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #26
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I am getting carpal tunnel from writing in EE, and TAW.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #27
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

I have been voting all during the &quot;National Championship&quot; game. (The Canes are pissing me off)

I have counted 54 votes. God bless Cable Internet.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:42 PM   #28
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

How do you vote more than once in a day? I tried but cant. Like you said that you voted 54 times during the fiesta bowl?
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:52 PM   #29
MFFL
Guru

<< How do you vote more than once in a day? I tried but cant. Like you said that you voted 54 times during the fiesta bowl? >>

You have to delete your cookies between every vote. That way the NBA website assumes that you are a new voter.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:13 PM   #30
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

When you guys are deleting your cookies, are you nuking them all, or just the NBA.com cookie?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:17 PM   #31
Fidel
Diamond Member

NBA cookie is enough Rhylan.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:00 PM   #32
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I know, I was just curious what most users do.. as it impacts the site [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 11:01 PM   #33
JoeGalvan

JoeGalvan is on a distinguished road

wussup guys. . .

just some more info on the ballots thing.

An official from the mavs came in to my work today (champs sports) and asked if he could use our ballots.

we gave him about 10 thousand. (5 cases). he said he was going to bring them back to us so we could turn them in. (stores with most ballots win something) but we were like, screw the ballots bring some tickets.

I honestly cannot remember the guys name, i wasnt there when it happened, but he left his card.

nice business card royal/black/silver with Mavs logo at the top. the email on the card was mavsman@dallasmavs.com

anyway, today was a slow day at work, so i got a chance to fill out 50 ballots.

you should do the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

after re-reading that article, it might have been that matt fitzgerald guy that came in today. for some reason i was thinking his name started with an M.
JoeGalvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:34 PM   #34
MFFL
Guru

<< Oh, I know, I was just curious what most users do.. as it impacts the site >>

???
Old 01-06-2003, 11:41 PM   #35
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

MFFL, deleting a cookie that the site gives you, then returning to the site would make you appear as a brand new visitor, rather than a repeat visitor. I'm just curious because I'm sure someone will come out with some numbers on how much of the online voting came from China, and it would be interesting to know how many people are faithful in voting over and over once a day, which users could do even if they kept their cookie (and would be identifiable). But deleting the cookie in order to vote more than once a day would not only create more votes, but skew the measurement of people voting multiple times. Interesting stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 10:02 AM   #36
MFFL
Guru

<< MFFL, deleting a cookie that the site gives you, then returning to the site would make you appear as a brand new visitor, rather than a repeat visitor. >>

Even if you log in again?
Old 01-07-2003, 12:11 PM   #37
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

You're right, if you logged in, and the cookie that is sent is tied to a username/id of some kind, then that would obviously make you look like the same person, visiting twice.

That would make sense on a site like Amazon or Ebay, for example, where you can/have to log on with your actual user ID before you do anything of substance. The NBA All-Star balloting doesn't do that sort of thing, so my guess is that it won't let you vote and give you the little validation code unless the NBA.com cookie either doesn't exist or is not from the current day, since deleting the NBA.com cookies allows you to vote as much as you want.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:16 PM   #38
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

When you delete your cookies and go back to the site, is the validation number supposed to change? Cause i deleted all the cookies but the same validation numbers was there so im not sure if it worked or not.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:40 PM   #39
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't figure out how to delete cookies either. Where ARE they?

Also I noticed that cubes has started a contest to win a free SUITE to a mavs game, pass the word!

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:18 PM   #40
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Sorry I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Dirk is only 40 000 votes
behind KG.
&quot;Big&quot; Race for West Fowards

So yeah, do what you can kids.
On a side note, i just noticed that Shaq is being kept out
of the top spot. Not too surprisingly really, seeing as the whole of China
is behind Yao...but how pissed is Shaq going to be?
haha.
Oh well, atleast Yao might actually play in the game.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote