Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Posted on Tue, Jan. 21, 2003

Yao wowed Little Nellie early on
By Randy Galloway
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

As sports legend has it, the late Bear Bryant stood on the sideline one afternoon in Birmingham, watching helplessly as a large African-American running back named Sam Cunningham (older brother of Randall) tore through his all-white Alabama squad.

By the fourth quarter, Bear had been transformed into a sudden civil rights activist.

Turning to no one in particular, Coach Bryant is supposed to have said:

"I'm gonna get me one of those."

Granted, it wasn't exactly as eloquent as the "I Have a Dream" speech, but Bear was a man of his word. Integration came to 'Bama football, and then followed throughout the South. However you measure the impact, certainly Coach Bryant played a large one in attempting to bring racial equality -- along with, yes, more football W's -- to his part of the world.

In a much more frivolous sports comparison, I am proud to say I was an ear witness one day two years ago when Donnie Nelson, son of Big Nellie, also delivered a historic statement as it pertains to the National Basketball Association.

"I'm gonna get me one of those," said Donnie, watching the Chinese National team practice at the Tom Landry Center in downtown Dallas.

Then again, I fudged a bit here.

That's not an exact quote.

Maybe it was more along the lines of "I'm gonna get me that one," as Little Nellie pointed toward the tallest of the Chinese players. And by the way, Nelson was not talking about Wang Zhizhi, who was on the floor at the time but was the Chinese player the Mavericks had made history with in the 1999 NBA Draft.

"Wang might turn out to be OK," Donnie continued, "but the next great player in the NBA, and the world, is that one over there."

Oh, yeah. What's his name?

"Yao Ming. He's 19 years old."

Yow? Can you spell that first part?

At Donnie's urging, my amateur eye watched Mr. Yao for the next few minutes. He seemed to be mostly amusing himself, shooting 12-foot jumpers. I swear I thought I was seeing an unpolished Shawn Bradley. That's why it's an amateur eye.

Fast forward to tonight at New Arena in downtown Dallas, and Yao Ming, of course, will be the center of attention when his Rockets play the suddenly slumping Mavericks.

Yao is the most valuable piece of basketball property in the NBA and in the world. As a 22-year-old, 7-foot-5 rookie, the league has never seen anything like him. He has instantly broken a culture barrier, even a culture bias, and just as important, tore down a basketball mind-set.

Come now, fellows. How many NBA people were thinking two years ago, or six months ago, that a player from China could do this?

In fact, I'd like an honest count of how many NBA teams in 2000, starting with the Rockets, even knew a damn thing about Yao Ming, other than printouts being handed to them by the league's international scouting services.

But Donnie Nelson knew. He was far ahead of the competition on talent evaluation as it pertains to the rest of the world. Plus, Donnie already had the inside road to China. He had become a trusted basketball friend of the Commies who, as we know now, control all players coming out of that country.

Why do you think the Chinese national team had come here to practice? Nelson set that up, of course. Just like the Mavs drafting the first Chinese player, Wang Zhizhi, was a setup for Nelson to get to the real prize, Yao.

At the time, two years ago, Donnie was also riding newfound local prestige. It was no secret that in 1998, he had persuaded Big Nellie to draft the 19-year-old German, Dirk Nowitzki. Early on, it was a decision that almost resulted in both Nelsons being run out of town. But Dirk was evolving into one of the NBA's leading talents. By the time Yao Ming took the floor at the Landry Center that day, I had showed up to hear Donnie's evaluation of Wang, the Mavs' draft pick.

Instead, Donnie was in awe over Yao.

"Can you get him?" I asked, meaning for the Mavericks.

"Yes," Donnie answered.

So I figured it was a done deal. That some year soon, this Yao Ming would be in a Mavericks' uniform. Donnie would "arrange" it. Donnie knew how. Donnie knew China, and how to cut through the political red tape, because he was trusted over there.

Long story short. One thing led to another, and Yao being given his OK by the Chinese government to take his services to the NBA was delayed a year. The rest of the league had that extra year to check him out. Plus, a draft day trade had to be arranged, and it would have taken the financial commitment, and gamble, from Mark Cuban to get it done.

Cuban has never hesitated before, and I assume didn't this time.

But by last summer, the Rockets had the first pick in the draft, and their wise decision was to go with Yao.

It probably won't surface this season, but because of Yao Ming, the Rockets have now moved ahead of the Mavericks when it comes to the divisional, conference and statewide NBA weapons race. In the future, Houston will be the team to beat in this league. In time, Yao will even have Shaq speaking real Chinese.

Donnie Nelson called this two years ago.

He wanted one of them. He wanted that one.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

First of all, Randy is an idiot, and to quote anything he has to say is just plain stupid. With that said, Donnie has been a head of the pact ever since he started looking East, and West to get talent for the Mav's. He is the one responsible for opening the doors for other teams to do what they are now.
That is one big reason that this summer's debacle with Zhi Zhi was so much of a headache. Wang put the Mav's in a very ackward possition that need the soft touch of the little whistle...
Let's not forget that the Rockets lost last night to the Spurs, and are on the back end of the back to back for them. A great opportunity for the Mav's to get back on the winning edge at home. Yao is a awesome player, and in time he may become the true force in the NBA, but until that happens then he is just another side show. Stevie Franchise is a big part of what Houston is doing right now, and you take either one out, and they are just another name in the NBA.....
Yao is more than just a side show, but he has a lot to learn, and in time he will. I think that Ruddy T is a great coach for him to learn from. The thing that impresses me about the big man is his demenor. He is soft spoken, he keeps his mouth shut, and his ears open. He also has a great sense of humor.... Nice for someone that has only been in this country for a couple of months. Rookie of the Year? Maybe..........