Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2003, 12:05 AM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

No matter what if we need to get something going we need finley. We need him very bad. He hits lots of those timely shots to keep the team in the game especially in the second half. He removes the double teams from Dirk. raef showed up bigtime tonight but Nash and Nick just did not. These guys get going when Finley is on their face.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that we need Finley. He is a difference maker, but until we commit to the drive or start posting up our big men, it probably won't matter. Still, Finley's return is essential to a good playoff run.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:14 AM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

<< I agree that we need Finley. He is a difference maker, but until we commit to the drive or start posting up our big men, it probably won't matter. Still, Finley's return is essential to a good playoff run. >>

Actually thats why I said in one of my earlier threads that we should have played lakers last two playoffs. They expose your deficiencies and would have made Cuban get some inside presence. I do not know whats gonna solve our deficiencies inside. As I saw today raef needs to be moved to the SF or PF position. he is not a centre. He is very effective when he plays SF. Bradley needs to be gotten rid of. Probably Knicks will trade Sprewell &amp; Kurt for Bradley and Nick. Sprewell &amp; Finley is an awesome combination along with Nash &amp; Dirk and Kurt in the middle. Raef can come off the bench for Dirk or Kurt.

HAving said that, I have not given up hope for this year but if the mavs do not win it all I want them to exit in the second round again so Nellie gets in his head that championships are not won on 3-pointers all the time.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

FINLEY!!! FINLEY!!! FINLEY!!!

My question is he committed to driving to the hole. He gets 21 at the half against Cleveland. In his return he is gonna have some rust on him and be real tentative so I am not looking for a stellar game but I would like to see him drive to the hole. Hell I would love to see this whole team drive to the hole. Does anyone remember the last time we were called for a charge from driving to the hole?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

He'll have the Golden State game and the Seattle game to work off the rust. Then the showdown with the Spurs.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:31 AM   #6
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<< He'll have the Golden State game and the Seattle game to work off the rust. Then the showdown with the Spurs. >>

The only way we can make any noise this year is with Finley in the lineup. As I said he removes those double teams off Dirk. He knocks down most of his open shots. Personally I think Lakers are back. It looked as if they could have won this game even without Shaq or Kobe in the lineup. We are all rooting for Mavs but I do not think they are there yet. We can blame the coach or anyone but our team has very very little experience and horrible half court sets. If the opposite team intimidates mavs with their defense they do not get back on their own defense and start taking crazy 3 -pointers. I know it worked once against Kings but we have suffered miserable losses to some good teams because of our inability to execute on half court. Also is it just me or does every one else see this &quot;EVERY MAV HITS OPEN SHOTS WHEN THEY ARE ON IT BUT THEY ALL GO DOWN AND NOT EVEN KNOCK DOWN OPEN 15 FOOTERS . THEY GO DOWN AS A TEAM&quot;
Old 04-09-2003, 12:41 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the things we miss most about Finley--besides his 20 points and 6 rebounds--is that he usually hits his shots in the first half and keeps the team afloat.

Then Dirk and/or Nash come alive in the 3rd quarter and roll after that.

It's just very rare that ALL 3 are off shooting wise. It happens, of course, but it is rare.

I just hope that if Finley does return for the final 3 games it is enough time to kick the rust and get over the fear of re-injuring the hamstring.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:43 AM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

When I say rust I mean his mental toughness. When he goes out there he is going to be playing very tentative to make sure he doesn't reinjure that hamstring.

1996-2005
Old 04-09-2003, 12:43 AM   #9
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, fin come back.. we need you... Fin used to tell the players to shut up and stop complaining to the refs and all that stuff...even though the refs swallowed the whistles tonight except when kobe had the ball..
Old 04-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

fin complains to the refs as much as anyone else on the team
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:56 AM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree Murph. I've certainly seen Fin complain before, but...

I've seen him go over to the ref as co-captain of the team and get an explanation of why a foul was/wasn't called.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:05 AM   #12
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31 is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I disagree Murph. I've certainly seen Fin complain before, but...

I've seen him go over to the ref as co-captain of the team and get an explanation of why a foul was/wasn't called.
>>

yep. and i like how he goes to the other players on the mavs and tells them to stop complaining and get in the game...
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

We have no chance without FIN. With Fin we can keep the games close entering final 2 minutes against good teams.

Guys , I just wanna punch Devean George. he is ugly and just kills us.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:28 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i disagree mff..it was fin that was crying to an official while his man went down court and drilled an open three in the final game of the sacramento series last year...a very important play in that game

but, you're allowed to disagree..i don't really care
Old 04-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I agree that Finley keeps the others in line. Regardless of how his conversations with the refs may be perceived. The other players feed off Finley, who is still the heart of this team. Dirk is the best player but Finley is often the gas that makes him run.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #16
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<< i disagree mff..it was fin that was crying to an official while his man went down court and drilled an open three in the final game of the sacramento series last year...a very important play in that game

but, you're allowed to disagree..i don't really care
>>

Finley does make some mental errors but thats not what I am saying. He maybe a liability sometimes at defensive end but what I am saying is he takes a lot of load out of Dirk and Finley is a consistent scorer much like Dirk. He is a 20 reb-3ast-5reb guy. Nick Van exel is very inconsistent. We need Finley back atleast to be close in these games this year.

Next year we need new coach. I heard Pat Riley would be available, Jeff Van Gundy would be available, also Phil Jackson can come if mark throws a lot of money.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:11 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

fin whines to officials as much as anyone..probably more.
mayb fin doesn't drop the magic four letter words from time to time..but he DOES whine to officials as much or more than anyone
Old 04-09-2003, 11:16 AM   #18
JJJ

JJJ is on a distinguished road

We Need to get randon haywood in the free agency
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:24 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

i want fin back...definitely
i just don't think it matters much against teams like the lakers when your coach refuses to change his coaching philosophies.

Old 04-09-2003, 04:32 PM   #20
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

His leadership is obviously missed. Thank God we don't have to rely on Nick Van Exel's scoring every game. Is their more of a one dimensional player then nick the quick.

Findawg needs to be aggressive and get to the hole. I miss that 18 foot fadeaway jumper.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:07 PM   #21
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<< His leadership is obviously missed. Thank God we don't have to rely on Nick Van Exel's scoring every game. Is their more of a one dimensional player then nick the quick.

Findawg needs to be aggressive and get to the hole. I miss that 18 foot fadeaway jumper.
>>

Nick is good but unfortunately very inconsistent. Finley is very very consistent. He might go on a slump sometimes but he does hit some timely shots. We need his leadership. I agree with you.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:36 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Last time I heard Finley would be activated for GS game. Anyone knows whats going on with him. I also heard he would have been available for Lakers game in Dallas as they thought they identified the problem and thought it is just some hip re-alignment.

Just curious whats going on. I don't wanna see these guys saying he needs some more rest.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

<< fin whines to officials as much as anyone..probably more. >>

My vote for post of the year.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:18 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< fin whines to officials as much as anyone..probably more. >>

My vote for post of the year.
>>

Yea but it is clearly wrong. Fin is co-captain. He is gonna talk to the ref after a dumb foul is called which a captain should just like Nash does. I have seen Fin give that little laughter type thing after he is called for a foul but nothing more than that. I have never seen him lose it and get a T. And yes captains can get T's. We have alot of guys on this team who whine to the ref and while doing so it gives the other team a easy 2 points. This has occured alot while Fin has been absent and Nash has dissapointed me in doing so. A captain shouldn't do that. I think all we need is Fin's leadership back. His scoring, rebounding, and athleticism are always wanted but this team has no leadership at all right now. IT's like they don't know how to play while Fin is absent.

1996-2005
Old 04-10-2003, 12:06 AM   #25
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

We need you more than anyone else. Fin is needed now.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

i don't think fin goes overboard..but he does his share of whining.

to his credit, he knows how to talk to them without getting T'd up... there are occasions where he's complaining to a ref and ends up getting burned on the other end of the court..much like the last game of the Sad Sac series.

as a whole, fin, dirk, nash, bradley, raef, najera, nellie, and Cuban ALL need to shut the hell up and play ball
Old 04-10-2003, 12:26 AM   #27
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Anyone know who has the most T's, among players on the Mavs, that have resulted in points for the other team cause of whining to the refs?

Old 04-10-2003, 01:59 AM   #28
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs top players to be T'd up

D. Nowitzki 10
S. Bradley 7
R. Bell 6
N. Van Exel 5

Nobody else has more than 3.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:00 AM   #29
MFFL
Guru

The team only has 41 total, our opponents have been T'd up 46 times.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:56 AM   #30
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I assume the latest developments show how important Finley is to the Mavs, STILL.
The Mavs are just another team with him in the lineup. Let´s hope he´s back in action early enough to set up his game before the playoffs.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #31
MavsFanFinley
Guru

<< Mavs top players to be T'd up

D. Nowitzki 10
S. Bradley 7
R. Bell 6
N. Van Exel 5

Nobody else has more than 3.
>>

Forgot to thank you for the info, MFFL.

I guess with Finley and Nash being the captain's, they get away with more whining.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:50 PM   #32
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

<< i don't think fin goes overboard..but he does his share of whining.

to his credit, he knows how to talk to them without getting T'd up... there are occasions where he's complaining to a ref and ends up getting burned on the other end of the court..much like the last game of the Sad Sac series.

as a whole, fin, dirk, nash, bradley, raef, najera, nellie, and Cuban ALL need to shut the hell up and play ball
>>

Agree. I would love to see a stat comparing the point differential of the number
of times a player was late getting back down court, and the other team scored because of it + points given up on technicals, compared to (and I know it will never happen) the number of points we would give up if no one (including coaches) ever complained about a call and just played
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

like i've said, finley knows where to stop and doesn't get T'd up. but that doesn't mean he doesn't whine..it just means that he doesn't drop the F' bombs
Old 04-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Dirk needs to shut up, fin needs to shut up, NVE needs to shut up, steve needs to shut up, najera needs to shut up, raef needs to shut up, bradley needs to shut up..
they whine so much..It's like watching a group of freaking pansies.

shut up and play basketball.
it starts at the top..cuban and nellie sure as hell need to shut up.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #35
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Oh yeah, I forgot to include Cuban, thanks.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:22 PM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<< Dirk needs to shut up, fin needs to shut up, NVE needs to shut up, steve needs to shut up, najera needs to shut up, raef needs to shut up, bradley needs to shut up..
they whine so much..It's like watching a group of freaking pansies.

shut up and play basketball.
it starts at the top..cuban and nellie sure as hell need to shut up.
>>

Nellie should stop coming to the games Drunk.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:19 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

regardless...just come back, and hurry
Old 04-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #38
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well I know Cuban needs to shut up that's for SURE!!!!!