Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-12-2001, 02:28 PM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Brown, Wizards come to terms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Washington Wizards have come to terms with top overall draft pick Kwame Brown.

Brown will sign his deal later today, which is expected to be a three-year guaranteed contract worth $11.9 million. He will be in attendance at the team's four-day mini-camp, which begins Friday.

Brown, the first high school player to be selected No. 1 overall, is eligible to receive a maximum of $3.7 million as a rookie, and $3.9 million and $4.3 million in subsequent seasons. The Wizards have the option of retaining Brown for two more seasons. The Washington Post initially reported the deal.

The Wizards considered it important to get Brown signed and in Washington, where they plan to use the next 3½ months to acclimate him to NBA-style play. Brown, 19, graduated from a Brunswick, Ga., High School last month.

The Wizards also plan to get the 6-foot-11, 240-pound Brown on a weight-lifting and conditioning program in preparation for an 82-game season. Brown's introduction to the NBA will continue in the Shaw's Pro Summer League in Boston, where the Wizards' first game is Tuesday.

The Wizards have also agreed to a multi-year deal with Lakers free agent point guard Tyronn Lue worth $1. 8 million annually.

He is expected to sign the deal July 18, the first day free agents can sign with other teams, and will probably back up starter Chris Whitney.

Lue, 24, was the Lakers' first-round draft pick in 1998, but played sparingly in his first two seasons. He played in 38 games this season, averaging 3.4 points and 1.2 assists. The speedy Lue, 6 feet, 178 pounds, garnered national attention for his strong defense against the Philadelphia 76ers' high-scoring guard, Allen Iverson.

ESPN Tools
Email story

Most sent stories

Old 07-12-2001, 11:10 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Lue is an interesting player...I wonder how he'll do in Washington.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:20 AM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I never heard of him until the finals.