Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Best NBA Draft in History?

With the upcoming draft this got me thinking. What draft was the best ever draft? I would have to think that the 1998 draft would have to be the best "ever" draft. Now in 3-4 years I might be saying that the 2003 draft is the best ever, but until than, I am sticking with the 1998.

Here is the draft:

1. LA Clippers - Michael Olowokandi
2. Vancouver - Mike Bibby
3. Denver - Raef LaFrentz
4. Toronto (a) - Antawn Jamison
5. Golden State (a) - Vince Carter
6. Dallas (b) - Robert Traylor
7. Sacramento - Jason Williams
8. Philadelphia - Larry Hughes
9. Milwaukee (b) - Dirk Nowitzki
10. Boston - Paul Pierce
11. Detroit - Bonzi Wells
12. Orlando - Michael Doleac
13. Orlando (from Wash.) - Keon Clark
14. Houston - Michael Dickerson
15. Orlando (from N.J.) - Matt Harpring
16. Houston (from N.Y.) - Bryce Drew
17. Minnesota - Radoslav Nesterovic
18. Houston (from Port.) - Mirsad Turckan
19. Milwaukee (Cle.) (b) (c) - Pat Garrity
20. Atlanta - Roshown McLeod
21. Charlotte - Ricky Davis
22. LA Clippers (from Miami) - Brian Skinner
23. Denver (from Pho.) (d) - Tyronn Lue
24. San Antonio (e) - Felipe Lopez
25. Indiana - Al Harrington
26. LA Lakers - Sam Jacobson
27. Seattle - Vladimir Stepania
28. Chicago - Corey Benjamin
29. Utah (f) - Nazr Mohammed

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I see atleast 7 of those players are All-Stars or future ALL-Stars.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Bryce Drew. What a friggin' give up. I lived in Houston then and watched the draft. They took Drew and looked at my buddy and said, "they packed it in 10 minutes ago and couldn't care less who they drafted." What a stupid pick.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Depends on how many Euros and others stay in the draft....lots and lots of speculation that some will withdraw if they're not assured of certain slots.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

It was a good one. A lot of people consider the 1984 draft the best in history. It had Hakeem Olajuwan, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, and of course Michael Jordan. Hard to beat.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

1996 draft was pretty good as well:

1. Philadelphia - Allen Iverson
2. Toronto - Marcus Camby
3. Vancouver - Shareef Abdur-Rahim
4. Milwaukee (a) - Stephon Marbury
5. Minnesota (a) - Ray Allen
6. Boston (from Dallas) - Antoine Walker
7. LA Clippers - Lorenzen Wright
8. New Jersey - Kerry Kittles
9. Dallas (from Boston) - Samaki Walker
10. Indiana (from Denver) - Erick Dampier
11. Golden State - Todd Fuller
12. Cleveland (from Wash.) - Vitaly Potapenko
13. Charlotte - Kobe Bryant
14. Sacramento - Predrag Stojakovic
15. Phoenix - Steve Nash
16. Charlotte (from Miami) - Tony Delk
17. Portland - Jermaine O'Neal
18. New York (from Detroit) - John Wallace
19. New York (from Atlanta) - Walter McCarty
20. Cleveland - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
21. New York - Dontae Jones
22. Vancouver (from Houston) - Roy Rogers
23. Denver (from Indiana) - Efthimis Rentzias
24. LA Lakers - Derek Fisher
25. Utah (b) - Martin Muursepp
26. Detroit (from San Antonio) - Jerome Williams
27. Orlando - Brian Evans
28. Atlanta (from Seattle) - Priest Lauderdale
29. Chicago - Travis Knight

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

84, 96, 98

In that order. However, 98 has the ability to topple the other two, but it will take a lot of time.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I don't know. 1994 Saw some players like Glen Robinson, Jason Kidd, Juwan Howard, Donyell Marshall, Brian Grant, and Grant Hill.

Also, 1997 saw some good players like Tim Duncan, Chancey Billips, Keith Van Horn, Tim Thomas, Derek Anderson and Bobby Jackson.

The one with the most suspense was the one of 2000. That was when like 5 people could've got the first pick. That's when Darius Miles, Kenyon Martin, Marcus Fizer, Mike Miller, and Mark Jackson.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #9
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Speaking of the '97 draft, it was horrible. T-mac and Duncan are the only great players on there, everyone else are role players. but i was looking around and found this quote from before the '97 draft:

As for the Draft, Nellie says he likes at least 16 players in this draft and with the 15th pick he is assured of getting one of them. Several names he mentioned at the luncheon were Austin Croshere (whom Nellie was having dinner with that night); Danny Fortson PF, Cincinnati, Marco Milic, Brevin Knight PG, Stanford (if he fell that far); Maurice Taylor F, Michigan and Olivier Saint-Jean SF, SJ State.

Ugh, what a horrible draft. it really puts this years into perspective of its deepness, at 15 we could hardly get a player, and now at 29 we are almost sure to get one.

ps here is a good site to look at all the past drafts: Past NBA Drafts