Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marquis traded for Austin Croshere

Mavs to deal Daniels for Pacers' Croshere

08:51 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 5, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
The Mavericks have agreed to trade Marquis Daniels to Indiana for veteran power forward Austin Croshere. The deal, widely reported Wednesday night and confirmed by Mavericks' officials, will become official July 12.
Daniels has been the odd man out in coach Avery Johnson's rotation. He was behind Jerry Stackhouse, Josh Howard, Jason Terry and Devin Harris in the guard/small forward rotation.
With the Mavericks drafting shooting guard Maurice Ager, there appeared to be even less room for the 6-6 Daniels.
Croshere is a valued outside shooter for his size. The 6-10 forward has been on the block often in his career with the Pacers.
The Mavericks also value Croshere as a replacement for Keith Van Horn, who is a free agent and appears likely to move on from the Mavs.

I'm torn. I see Croshere as a poor man's KVH almost. But I think his big contract's about over. so it could be a bit of a salary dump.

I was a big Reggie fan, so I've seen quite a bit of Croshere play. When he's on, he's pretty valuable, but he's not real consistent on his outside shot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-05-2006 at 09:05 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Purple&Gold

Purple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura about

Wow thats a bad trade for you guys Daniels is worth more then that.
Purple&Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...25/1004/SPORTS

Pacers sending Croshere to Mavs

Indiana will receive G Marquis Daniels in exchange for longest-tenured Pacer

The Pacers have agreed to trade Croshere to the Dallas Mavericks for guard Marquis Daniels, according to people with knowledge of the situation.
The deal can't become official until July 12 when teams can complete trades and free agent signings.

Croshere was the longest-tenured Pacer, spending nine seasons with the team. He became expandable with the addition of draftee Shawne Williams and with the Pacers trying to become more athletic. Croshere is also entering the final year of his contract. He averaged 7.5 points and 4.3 rebounds during his career with the Pacers.

Daniels averaged 9.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists in three seasons with the Mavericks.

The trade for Daniels is the first of what could be several moves by the Pacers this summer. They're also interested in acquiring former Pacer Al Harrington from the Atlanta Hawks.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Croshere's only got one year left. The timing of this is interesting with all the James rumors flying around.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, final year of that awful contract they gave him after his play in the 2000 playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

HOLY SHIT!!! Marquis for VAN HORN PT II!! WTF!!!! Id much rather have kept KVH and maquis than have this piece of shit on the mavs! Looks like the mavs are set??

D-Hare/Mike James
Jet/Stack
J-Ho/Ager
Diggler/KVH2
Diop Party/Damp/M'Benga

Last edited by destroy ALL; 07-05-2006 at 09:11 PM.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I like Croshere as a backup over KVH.

This looks like a salary dump for the Mavs. They unload Daniels contract and rent Croshere for a year.

Honestly, I thought they could get more for Daniels though.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley

This looks like a salary dump for the Mavs. They unload Daniels contract and rent Croshere for a year.

There isn't a whole lot to suggest that Crosher is a better fit than KVH. In fact they're pretty much the same player, except KVH's been a bit better throughout their careers.

I didn't really expect more, just maybe something different. I'd have rather had a defensive minded backup PF.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-05-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley

I thought they could get more for Daniels too. However, Daniels might have had some say in where he wanted to play. The Mavs know he should see the court in Indy and we were able to snag a veteran with a one year contract. Crocrap won't have any trouble coming off the bench, he's done it his whole career.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

OMFG. Sad fuggin trade. SAD. I'm pissed, this ruined my night.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Purple&Gold

Purple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura about

Watch Daniels bust out with 20PPG and 8RPG next season what a awful trade.
Purple&Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

This trade really f*cking chaps my @$$. My god man, this is all we could get, Croshere? I'd be much happier to keep daniels than do this deal. Moving forward, I want none of stackhouse, he doesn't have many years left in him. I can only imagine how happy Indiana fans are right about now. See primal scream thread for more on my reaction to this trade.

Last edited by bernardos70; 07-05-2006 at 09:15 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

This trade makes me sick to my stomach. There better be something more to it because simply dumping Daniels' salary makes the Mavs look lazy.

Last edited by Bookit; 07-05-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

People need to relax. Losing Marquis Daniels means nothing to this team, other than we dont' have to deal with another bad contract.

This was a salary dump, for a player that can play the same role that KVH played, and that's about the best you could hope for from Marquis.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Strokepod

Strokepod is on a distinguished road

trade really pisses me off. good luck to quis, he almost kept us in game 6 but the refs were too much to overcome.
Strokepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs save $14M.

That's all that matters - Cubes is getting under the luxury tax.

But I >>>HATE<<< this trade. The >>>ONLY<<< good thing about this trade is that Kitten is gone for sure.

Last edited by MFFL; 07-05-2006 at 10:20 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Mavs save $1.4M this year.
And then Crosher's contract is over.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a ton about croshere, does he play any tougher than keith?

As far as Marquis, it's no big loss, he was continuing to slide downhill and he just didn't fit anymore.

I like it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

As far as Marquis, it's no big loss, he was continuing to slide downhill and he just didn't fit anymore.

I like it.
Yes, he DEFINITELY plays tougher than KVH. He doesn't shoot the three quite as well, they're about the same for rebounder. I'd say Croshere is a better defender, but that's not saying much over Keith.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #21
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

I like it.
Dude, Marquis did a good job holding down the fort when Stack was out. I wish Avery would explain how Marquis didn't fit. Nevertheless, surely the Mavs could have got some young player with promise in return. The Mavs just basically got rid of him. That must have been some meeting.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
Dude, Marquis did a good job holding down the fort when Stack was out. I wish Avery would explain how Marquis didn't fit. Nevertheless, surely the Mavs could have got some young player with promise in return. The Mavs just basically got rid of him. That must have been some meeting.
Marquis never would body up anyone defensively and he avoided contact like the plague when he went inside. There is a reason the raptors wouldn't do a s&t for him, because he's not a very good player.

Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. You can only give a guy so many chances to take minutes. Maybe he got his bell rung by (can't remember who hit him) but he never impressed after that.

His shot never came around, his pg play didn't come around. He could drive to the basket but in the playoffs that ole' stuff doesn't work because there are really good defenders in there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #23
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Show of hands who thought Marquis Daniels was going to play next year for the Mavs? Show of hands that believed Avery was going to give him minutes?

Guys, the Mavs just traded away their 12th man. Let that sink in for a minute. The Mavs traded away a player that couldn't even see time in the playoffs.

So why are we moaning over the loss of Daniels?

The Mavs filled two needs: backup 4 and another shooter. FOR THE 12TH MAN!

It was a good move.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #24
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Show of hands who thought Marquis Daniels was going to play next year for the Mavs? Show of hands that believed Avery was going to give him minutes?
I thought he would play significant minutes next year. Stackhouse has been injury prone.

Quote:
Guys, the Mavs just traded away their 12th man. Let that sink in for a minute. The Mavs traded away a player that couldn't even see time in the playoffs.

So why are we moaning over the loss of Daniels?
Because if it wasn't for a FREAK injury, Daniels would have been the starting SG for most of last year. And Daniels had a legimate shot at being a starter next year. You don't give away starters for expiring contracts. Not unless you have a cheap bastard for an owner.

Quote:
The Mavs filled two needs: backup 4 and another shooter. FOR THE 12TH MAN!

It was a good move.
Hell we could have signed Kitten for another year and accomplished the same thing without giving away Daniels.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #25
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

I thought they would plan on using quis for something big, I guess they're going salary dumping. Welcome to the Mavs, Croshere.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

From hoopshype.com..

Austin croshere: Good shooting touch....good rebounding skills...strong and explosive...Not consistent enough.

- Conrad Burns
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default KVH II

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 AM   #28
Dallas Maverick

Dallas Maverick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz
...well put. I do not like this trade at all...I hope they have something else in the works...Marquis was quick as lighting to the hole, and never got the minutes he should have. Don't know about this Austin guy though...

It seems they were trying to dump Marquis' contract more than him...

Last edited by Dallas Maverick; 07-06-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Dallas Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Put me down as being in favor of the trade. Quis was not going to see the court with Avery in charge. Croshere is an upgrade imho over KVH. Like LUT said above....Quis was probably our 10-12 man and we just traded him for a serviceable backup PF and saved a ton of money doing it.

Not a bad deal.

Last edited by Drbio; 07-05-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

He's certainly an upgrade over the KVH we saw over the past few months of the season.

He's also had actual success in the playoffs. He was a very important player for the Pacers in the Finals run in 2000.

KVH, otoh, has shown to be rather pitiful in the playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-05-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
He's certainly an upgrade over the KVH we saw over the past few months of the season
Really? What has Croshere done in the playoffs recently?

Hmmm. 6 games last year - 29 minutes per game, 3.7 boards, and shot 31% from the field.

Yep, Avery is going to fall all over himself to play THIS stud.

Pure salary dump

Last edited by MFFL; 07-05-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

Hmmm. 6 games last year - 29 minutes per game, 3.7 boards, and shot 31% from the field.

Pure salary dump
Why don't you compare his playoffs to KVH's, if you want to actually deal with what I said.

It is mostly a salary dump. I already said that. But he's on the same level, if not marginally better than KVH at this point. What's wrong with that? Marquis is nothing to us.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Why don't you compare his playoffs to KVH's, if you want to actually deal with what I said.
Well KVH >>>WAS<<< coming off an injury so his stats would suck. What was Croshere's problem?

Quote:
It is mostly a salary dump. I already said that. But he's on the same level, if not marginally better than KVH at this point. What's wrong with that? Marquis is nothing to us.
But why give away an asset for nothing? If Croshere is on the same level as KVH then why not just keep KVH?

It is a PURE salary dump - a move Donald Sterling would envy.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Well KVH >>>WAS<<< coming off an injury so his stats would suck. What was Croshere's problem?

But why give away an asset for nothing? If Croshere is on the same level as KVH then why not just keep KVH?

It is a PURE salary dump - a move Donald Sterling would envy.
What makes you think he was an asset? Your own opinion? What evidence is there that Marquis was an asset? Why WOULD the Mavs GIVE away an asset?

The answer? They wouldn't. Cuban is not in the business of giving away assets. He IS in the business of moving bad contracts, ala Raef, ala Marquis.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #35
Bookit
Diamond Member

Sad that Marquis was simply given away for a KVH clone. He had such promise and played pretty darn well almost every time he was given big minutes.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #36
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Pure salary dump
At least give him all his due. Shot 39% from 3pt, 89% ft%., 18ftas.

Keith...
12.6Mpg, 34% fg, 29%3pt, 2.3 rpg, 3fta's,
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #37
nah-vit-ski

^^Well he's a better rebounder, shoots a better percentage, and better free throw shooter.......

- Conrad Burns
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Like I said, he's very similar to KVH. Except now you get rid of Quis' bad contract.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #39
MFFL
Guru

This is a talent ACQUISTION business. We gave away a player in order to get a player who is exactly like another player who we are encouraging to walk away.

This is a Donald Sterling move.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
This is a talent ACQUISTION business. We gave away a player in order to get a player who is exactly like another player who we are encouraging to walk away.

This is a Donald Sterling move.
If Cuban was going to pocket the money then yeah, it would be a Sterling move. But Cuban will use the saved money to get better talent somewhere else.

I swear, people can find ANYTHING to complain about. Marquis Daniels was NOTHING for us. NOTHING. We were paying him WAY too much to be the 10th man on the bench.

My goodness.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game