Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Madape's proposal: balance and bastards

It has been said by many that this maverick team is too "nice" and too "soft" to win a championship. As Nick Van Exel proved last spring, playoff teams need players who don't take shit from nobody, who bring the confidence and swagger of a champion, and who don't mind saying "Fuck You" right some punk's stinking mug. Every team needs some kind of balance between the softies and the thugs. With most NBA teams, a guy like Nick would be enough to take care of the "thug" side of the equation. But with the multitude of daisy-picking boy-scouts the Mavs seem to have aquired over the years, we need to go "bastard" to the EXTREME. There are incredibly talented guys out there who teams won't touch because of their reputation for being a "bad-boy". I say, hell yeah! The badder the better!

So here is mad-ape's three step off-season program for an INFUSION of the talent and attitude we need to take us to the next level.

Step one:

Offer Derrick Coleman the full exception. There should be no argument. He is the most talented member of this big man free-agent class. Forget about Malone, Mourning, Miller, Nesterovic, or the Kandiman. Coleman is the best. He's big. He's athletic. He can score at will. He can defend. He can rebound. He can block shots. He can run the floor. The man is a freak of nature. If you give him 35 minutes a game here and feed him the ball, you are looking at 20 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks. It's that simple.

Step two:

Sign Roy Tarpley to whatever it takes - I think the Mavs can sign him without dipping into their exception. For the newbies to Mavs-fan land, The man is a horse. He is easily the best center in franchise history, and he'd be the best big man on the team right now. A physical defensive presense big enough and strong enough to go against the best that the Western conference has to offer (and he doesn't mind dropping 30 points on fools every now and then either). Forget about Don Carter and his Nancy Reagan "Just say No" mission statement of the late 80s. This is the year 2003. If you don't drink a little or smoke a little, people think there's something wrong with you. Tarp was and still is a better talent than Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby, and Chris Webber, yet those guys don't care WHO knows they smoke weed. If Tarp started his career in the mid 90s, smoked the same amount of dope and snorted the same amount of coke, he'd go scott-free and be the seven time all-star his talent deems that he would be. He was a man playing out of his era, waiting for the world to catch up to him. Now that it has, it is Tarp's time to shine.

Step three:

Sign J.R. Rider to the veteran minimum. If you look up Rider in the dictionary, here's what you'd read: Offensive EXPLOSION!!!!! Here's a question: What do you do when you are down by 10 points with five minutes left in the game? Simple. Bring in Rider and watch the lead disappear! The man can score on anyone, anywhere, anytime. Plus, he smokes pot. A shit load of pot. So sign him up, and we've got that base covered.

Our new 15-man roster
PG: Nash/Nick/Marquis/Avery
SG: Finley/Rider/Abdul-Wahad
SF: Dirk/Howard
PF: Coleman/Raef/Najera
C: Tarpley/Bradley/Esch

That equals:
6 boys scouts (Nash, Fin, Dirk, Raef, Bradley, Esch)
4 bastards (Nick, Coleman, Tarp, Rider)
2 rookies (Howard, Daniels)
1 washed up veteran (AJ)
2 wierd foreign dudes (Najera, Abdul-Wahad)

Unmatched skillz
Perfect balance
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: Madape's proposal: balance and bastards

*slapping knee comedy*

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

LMAO at that one MAD !!!! Too funny !!!

While we're at it, let's get Raef a sex change, trade him to the WNBA...and get Lisa Leslie in here...that'll provide some estrogen balance.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'd take Coleman. No sacarsm intended.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I'd take Coleman. No sacarsm intended.
Yes, and it may take the full MLE. Pistons are supposedly offering 2 years at $3MM.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #6
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

WOW, bring on those ''BASTARDS"

that was one of your best madape
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Sorry, but even when Najera is a weird (maybe cause he doesn't smoke), and also a foreigner certainly, he is a Thug. Please make the correction.

Hey, OP, I liked the "estrogen balance". However, I have doubts about Raef making it in the WNBA.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but I think I might be an idiot but I wouldn't mind seeing Rider or Tarpley on our IR. And bring on DC we could use him. and by the way trade that little bitch named raef as soon as possible.

I know I'm new so this really diminishes my credit. Madape can get away with this I don't know if I can.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Is that Derrick Coleman or Gary Coleman?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:13 PM   #10
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

You forgot one guy. . .

jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #11
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Laugh all you want madape. But you know as well as I do that Derrick Coleman is a much better player than Raef. And Coleman would have a much bigger impact on the court than Raef.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Coleman isn't just the best choice, he's the only choice. If you would have asked me before the season, I would have told you that I wanted was Karl Malone. If that didn't work out, I'd want Coleman. Talent wise, he's excactly what the Mavs need. I can't believe I haven't heard his name come up once from Cuban and the Mavs. It makes too much sense to ignore the second most talented big man in this free-agent class. We screwed up by passing on Malone. Let's not screw up again by passing on Coleman.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:00 AM   #13
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
It has been said by many that this maverick team is too "nice" and too "soft" to win a championship. As Nick Van Exel proved last spring, playoff teams need players who don't take shit from nobody, who bring the confidence and swagger of a champion, and who don't mind saying "Fuck You" right some punk's stinking mug. Every team needs some kind of balance between the softies and the thugs. With most NBA teams, a guy like Nick would be enough to take care of the "thug" side of the equation. But with the multitude of daisy-picking boy-scouts the Mavs seem to have aquired over the years, we need to go "bastard" to the EXTREME. There are incredibly talented guys out there who teams won't touch because of their reputation for being a "bad-boy". I say, hell yeah! The badder the better!

So here is mad-ape's three step off-season program for an INFUSION of the talent and attitude we need to take us to the next level.

Step one:

Offer Derrick Coleman the full exception. There should be no argument. He is the most talented member of this big man free-agent class. Forget about Malone, Mourning, Miller, Nesterovic, or the Kandiman. Coleman is the best. He's big. He's athletic. He can score at will. He can defend. He can rebound. He can block shots. He can run the floor. The man is a freak of nature. If you give him 35 minutes a game here and feed him the ball, you are looking at 20 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks. It's that simple.

Step two:

Sign Roy Tarpley to whatever it takes - I think the Mavs can sign him without dipping into their exception. For the newbies to Mavs-fan land, The man is a horse. He is easily the best center in franchise history, and he'd be the best big man on the team right now. A physical defensive presense big enough and strong enough to go against the best that the Western conference has to offer (and he doesn't mind dropping 30 points on fools every now and then either). Forget about Don Carter and his Nancy Reagan "Just say No" mission statement of the late 80s. This is the year 2003. If you don't drink a little or smoke a little, people think there's something wrong with you. Tarp was and still is a better talent than Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby, and Chris Webber, yet those guys don't care WHO knows they smoke weed. If Tarp started his career in the mid 90s, smoked the same amount of dope and snorted the same amount of coke, he'd go scott-free and be the seven time all-star his talent deems that he would be. He was a man playing out of his era, waiting for the world to catch up to him. Now that it has, it is Tarp's time to shine.

Step three:

Sign J.R. Rider to the veteran minimum. If you look up Rider in the dictionary, here's what you'd read: Offensive EXPLOSION!!!!! Here's a question: What do you do when you are down by 10 points with five minutes left in the game? Simple. Bring in Rider and watch the lead disappear! The man can score on anyone, anywhere, anytime. Plus, he smokes pot. A shit load of pot. So sign him up, and we've got that base covered.

Our new 15-man roster
PG: Nash/Nick/Marquis/Avery
SG: Finley/Rider/Abdul-Wahad
SF: Dirk/Howard
PF: Coleman/Raef/Najera
C: Tarpley/Bradley/Esch

That equals:
6 boys scouts (Nash, Fin, Dirk, Raef, Bradley, Esch)
4 bastards (Nick, Coleman, Tarp, Rider)
2 rookies (Howard, Daniels)
1 washed up veteran (AJ)
2 wierd foreign dudes (Najera, Abdul-Wahad)

Unmatched skillz
Perfect balance
Kudos for Madape for taking a shot! Thats what I like to see! Although I don't agree with it, it was entertaining. (especially the part about 2 weird foreign dudes)

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:05 AM   #14
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Funny thing about Coleman is that when he was in his second year with the Nets, he proclaimed that he had taken the mantle of "Best Power Forward in the Game" from Karl Malone and he was the new generation.

Funny that Coleman is about washed up and Malone is still more coveted than he is.

That said, I would still take him but giving him the full exception is absurd. I would rather sign him to a small one or two year deal than trade Raef for Kurt Thomas.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Madape's proposal: balance and bastards

bump
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:10 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks murph.... Good grief this guy is a riot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:52 AM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

Those sons of bitches didn't listen to me. Now look what we're stuck with. A bunch of pansy-boy prima-donnas.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:08 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes me, not having been on this board last summer, rethink my Top Five list of things I most regret in life. This just might bump "dropping out of school in the sixth grade" right off the list.

Pure genius, you furious Bradley lover. My personal favorite: Rider: "Plus, he smokes pot. A shit load of pot." Pure, unmitigated GENIUS.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

With all the Artest talk, I thought this thread deserved its annual bump. One of my all-time favorite threads. + rep to the ape
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

well, we've got more wierd foreign dudes now.

6 boys scouts (Dirk, Howard, Dampier, Terry, Van Horn, Daniels)
1/2 a bastard (Stackhouse)
3 rookies(Marshall, Powell, Harris)
2 washed up veterans (Armstrong, Griffin)
3 wierd foreign dudes (Diop, Dj, Pavel)

we could still get Rider, Coleman, and Tarpley cheap.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

We need more bastards
Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Bump. The Ape has amazing foresight.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #23
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of balance and bastards what we got was pure, unadulterated and unfiltered Don Nelson genius -- the penultimate Don Nelson Season, 2003-2004.

....Antoine Walker at the point guardforward position and Dirk Nowitzki at the 5.

but I'm sure that season was all mark cuban's fault.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 12:57 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #24
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

this is hilarious.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #25
ballin_boi
Banned

ballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the rough

This years list of bastards we should consider.

Artest
Bowen
Billups
O'Neal

Karl Malone for the MLE?

Bob Sapp for the LLE? Then we just send him into the game to beat the crap out of someone and get ejected.
ballin_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin_boi
Bob Sapp for the LLE? Then we just send him into the game to beat the crap out of someone and get ejected.
I thought that's why we kept DJ MBenga around.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #27
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

The sad thing about this thread is that Roy Tarpley is still the best center the Mavs have ever had.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #28
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I see here that interests me, is that those images he posted in 7/2003 are still valid links.

Oh and Roy Tarpley.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The only thing I see here that interests me, is that those images he posted in 7/2003 are still valid links.
The thing that interests me is "why do so many folks view Nelson through rose-colored glasses?" And I don't just mean the obvious folks around here, but also the Randy Galloways and Dale Hansons of the world.

2003-2004 was for all intents and purposes the last real Don Nelson team. Anybody wanna argue otherwise? If so, start by telling me how letting Nash walk and signing Damp to a big dollar multi-year deal was Don Nelson's idea.

The '03-'04 team was arguably the culmination of Don Nelson's efforts, and it was just painful to watch at times. For all the talk of how Avery Johnson was handed a 60 win team and how the '06-'07 team was built by Don Nelson we should be reminded that only Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard were on that '03-'04 team.

When Don Nelson took the team over in 1997 he had 3 very young, top 5 over-all draft picks on the team. One of those was damn near MVP caliber who carried another team to an NBA finals more often than Steve Nash has carried a team to the finals.

The point is, the Mavs weren't a talentless team when Don Nelson took over. They were a team with some young but very high pedigree guys who were being coached by Jim Friggin' Cleamons. The '00 turnaround of the Mavs wasn't simply the result of Nelson miracle working but the result of a decade of the Mavericks getting very very high draft picks.

...and speaking of draft picks, lot's of love to Nelie and Company for the Dirk thing. Then there's J-Ho -- don't give Nelson too much credit for the Howard pick -- the Mavs happened to be standing where Josh Howard fell. Beyond j-ho and dirk, name a Don Nelson draft pick.

<crickets>

Nelson was here 8 years, surely we can think of another pick or two?

Wang Zhi Zhi -- that's a nellie pick for you. Eddie Najera -- there's a pretty nice utility kind of guy. Good value for a 2nd rounder.

The funny thing about Eddie is he was the fourth guy nellie picked that 2000 class -- the mavs had 2 picks in the top half o the first round and another late first round pick...Etan Thomas, Courtney Alexander and Donnel Harvey. Those two top-half of the first round picks could be hitting the prime of their career right now, but the mavs have nothing to show for it.

But back to the '03-'04 team -- one of the reasons that team was so butt-itching unpleasant was because the team had to do whatever it could to get out from under the raef lafrentz long-term deal....Raef Lafrentz, the best center Don Nelson ever put on the team (only because Shawn Bradley was the 2nd best center Don Nelson ever put on the team).

Lafrentz didn't rebound, didn't play good post defense, couldn't really score inside, and fouled out quicker than Damp on his worst day....but he could shoot the trey. 7 years, $10+ million a year for a 7 footer that could shoot 35% from arc.....Nellie ball, and in many ways we're still paying for nellie ball.

anyway, I'm rambling.......for all the miracle working love giving to Nelson, the facts are that he inherited a team with some talent, he made some good picks and trades but also squandered quite a bit, and at the end of his stay he had an underachieving and chemistry-less team that really did play some clown-ball.

so..........

the '06-'07 team was not the team that nellie built, tho it bore some scares from his era.

the '03'-'04 team was truly the team that nellie built, for better or worse.

Cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
When Don Nelson took the team over in 1997 he had 3 very young, top 5 over-all draft picks on the team. One of those was damn near MVP caliber who carried another team to an NBA finals more often than Steve Nash has carried a team to the finals.
I thought they traded Kidd before Nelson took over. Am I remembering incorrectly, or are you refering to someone else?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #31
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy
I thought they traded Kidd before Nelson took over. Am I remembering incorrectly, or are you refering to someone else?
Now that you say this I think you may be remembering correctly - the 90's mavs did so many dumb things it gets hard to keep them all straight.....yeah....your recollection is correct. kidd was traded by the equipment manager turned general manager if you remember him.

Nellie gave us the Jim Jackson trade, not the Kidd trade....Nellie traded Jackson and Cassell for Shawn Bradley. Jackson did less in the league then one would have figured him to do at the time, and I've always maintained that Bradley was a giant waste of space....the Mavs are still paying for Bradley.

Nellie also gave us the Jamal Mashburn for a bunch of spares trade....arguably Mashburn's coming injury problems were anticipated at the time, but I dunno...

Anyhoo....the central point remains: The Nelson miracle turnaround came about because of the talent already in Dallas, not because Nellie pulled off a number of stunning trades.

----------------------------
following the traditional alexamenos blather-first, research later approach....

Kidd was traded just before Nellie was hired as GM. Nellie traded away Jamal Mashburn for nothing and Jim Jackson and Sam Cassell for the Great White Waste that was Shawn Bradley....hence Nellie managed to trade away two of the three J's for 7'5" player who couldn't work in the paint.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #32
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos

The point is, the Mavs weren't a talentless team when Don Nelson took over. They were a team with some young but very high pedigree guys who were being coached by Jim Friggin' Cleamons. The '00 turnaround of the Mavs wasn't simply the result of Nelson miracle working but the result of a decade of the Mavericks getting very very high draft picks.

Cheers
I am just trying to figure out who those 3 top 5 over all draft picks were on that team. I am coming up with Jamaal Mashburn and Jim Jackson both of who had already went into decline due to unfortunate injury circumstances. Jackson was never the same after the ankle injury and Jamaal was already toast but spent a couple of years on the injury list. I am racking my brain for that other guy though cause I am sure Finley was drafted in the low teens. Derek Harper was drafted at 11 but was traded to give him an opportunity to win. Eric Montross was a #9 overall. AC Green was a #23 but was really old at this point. For the life of me I just can't fathom who you are talking about? Jason Kidd? He was long gone before Nellie. In any case that was a bad, bad team with absolutely no talent.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #33
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
I am just trying to figure out who those 3 top 5 over all draft picks were on that team. I am coming up with Jamaal Mashburn and Jim Jackson both of who had already went into decline due to unfortunate injury circumstances. Jackson was never the same after the ankle injury and Jamaal was already toast but spent a couple of years on the injury list. I am racking my brain for that other guy though cause I am sure Finley was drafted in the low teens. Derek Harper was drafted at 11 but was traded to give him an opportunity to win. Eric Montross was a #9 overall. AC Green was a #23 but was really old at this point. For the life of me I just can't fathom who you are talking about? Jason Kidd? He was long gone before Nellie. In any case that was a bad, bad team with absolutely no talent.
that was my mistake -- Kidd was traded for Mike Finley and Sam Cassell the month before Nelson took over as GM. Some of those trades have gotten a bit mangled in my mind through the years.

anyhoo....

When Nelson took over as GM (January, 1997), the Mavs had:

1) Jim Jackson, who recorded two triple doubles for the Nets in the season which Nellie traded him away;
2) Chris Gatling, an all-star in '96-97 who had the fifth highest efficiency in the league that season;
3) Sam Cassell, that's Sam I Am coming into the prime of his career;
4) Jamal Mashburn, a guy who had sat out for most the '96 season but still had a lot of promise (and would go on to have a solid, if not spectacular, career);
5) Michael Finley, who we all know and love;
6) A handful of vets that weren't completely worthless.

That was not a team with no talent. I'm not saying it's a perennial 50 win team, but it's not the '92-'93 mavs either. The Mavs had been drafting high in the lottery for several years and they had some lottery picks in their pocket when nellie came on board...Nelson wasn't starting from scratch.

Now within barely a year of Nellies they had given up Jackson, Cassell, Gatling and Mashburn and in return had nothing to show but Sean Bradley -- at that point Dallas looked like a team with absolutely no talent, but it isn't at all the case that the Mavs had no talent when Nelson arrived.

------------------------------------

edit -- it occurs to me that people may forget that Nellie was GM for about a year before he took over as coach. When he started as coach he had basically Mike Finley and Shawn Bradley - so perhaps it would be fair to say that he didn't have much talent on the team when he became head coach. My point is that the blame for that situation was the GM in the prior year, and that GM was Don Nelson.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #34
chumdawg
Guru

Sorry, Nellie has said he didn't have any say in personnel decisions after the '03 season.

So please rewrite your post.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Sorry, Nellie has said he didn't have any say in personnel decisions after the '03 season.
I would probably say that too if I were responsbile for that team. Even if what he says is true, my point would be substantially the same --

Many people view Don Nelson through rose-colored glasses. Their incessant belly-aching about the glory days of Don Nelson is barely contrarian much less objective. It's mostly just stupid and noisy - just loud screeches from homers who haven't even the good sense to live in the present.

Nelson inherited a team with quite a bit of talent;

Nelson traded Jason Kidd, a top-rate perennial all-star who took a team to the finals twice, for Michael Finley and Sam Cassell (later traded for Bradley) -- anybody who can maintain even a small amount of objectivity can see that Kidd for Finley and Bradley was no franchise saving trade...

Lil Whistle wanted the pg from Santa Clara. Since the Suns were loaded at PG (thanks to the Kidd steal) they were happy to deal. The Suns got a ninth overall which became Shawn Marion, and Nelson got damn lucky that he had a quality point guard...

Nelson made one good draft pick and squandered many other draft picks during his tenure. Michael Redd, Rashard Lewis, Manu Ginobilli were guys on the board when Nelson was taking guys like Ansu Sesay, Leon Smith and Thomas/Alexander/Harvey;

The Mavericks suffered from Nelson's legacy well after the '02-'03 season vis a vis the very bad Raef Lafrentz contract plus on-going commitments to Shawn Bradley, Tariq Abduhl Wahid, Evan Eschemeyer...

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #36
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i thought this thread was brand new....then i was like....what a minute...
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

Remember Keith Grant? He's still here!

Put away your pessimism, alexa, and allow yourself to marvel at the greatness of Nellie.

Last edited by chumdawg; 05-07-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #38
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Put away your pessimism, alexa, and allow yourself to marvel at the greatness of Nellie.
that's exactly what I've been doing.......aside from Dirk, Nellie's draft picks, 1997-2002:

Kelvin Cato
Bubba Wells
Ansu Sesay
Bruno Sundov
Greg Buckner
Leon Smith
Wang Zhi Zhi
Gordon Giricek
Etan Thomas
Courtney Alexander
Donnel Harvey
Eddie Najera
Kenny Satterfeld
Kyle Hill
Mladen Sekularac

ahhh...a veritable who's who of guys trying to fill the 12th spot on the roster....the glory that was the nellie years.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #39
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

The thing you have to take into account about any team Nelson takes over.. he takes out the trash. Anyone who doesn't want to be there or who doesn't fit his style of play gets thrown out the door... quickly. If Nelson gets something good in return, then that's a bonus. For example, Sam Cassell, who was in the last year of his contract had stated vocally that he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding process. Out the door.

It's easy to go back to those early trades and re-evaluate them. They didn't look for the Mavs talent wise at the time and for the most part they don't today. But the point that's unarguable is that Don Nelson's moves quickly turned this franchise around. And now he's done it again in Golden State. Nelson is perhaps the best GM/coach in the history of the NBA in turning shit franchises into perrineal contenders. If he can ever go the distance and take one of those teams to the championship, he'll be considered the very best of all time, period.

One more thing - I have always contended that the 2002 draft was almost singlehandedly run by Mark Cuban. It was just a few months after the guy bought the team. He'd already shown his stripes by the Dennis Rodman signing. He wanted to play with his toys. At the time, I felt as if it was a draft run off the ESPN mocks. Usually Nelson will suprise you, but that year all the picks came exactly where you thought they would. If you remember, Cuban was the one who bought Courtney Alexander for $3M. Nelson has gone on record as saying that he would have been in big trouble if he didn't wind up with Eduardo Narerja at the end of the day (apparently Cuban was a big fan of his in college). And lets face it... Etan Thomas isn't exactly a Nellie guy. I predicted at the time that if Nelson were truly running the draft, he would have picked Jake Tsakalidis. Of course, I have no way of knowing that. I'm just basing it on a quote I read from Nelson saying that he thought big Jake could come into the league and effectively guard Shack on day 1. Anyway, food for thought.

And thanks to whoverver for bumping this thread. Anyone for Ricky Davis?
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #40
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
But the point that's unarguable is that Don Nelson's moves quickly turned this franchise around.
It took 4 years to break 500, despite the fact they had some talent on the team when he arrived. His turnaround was neither quick nor spectacular.

I'm not saying Nelson was terrible, I'm saying that a lot of people in this area view him through rose-colored glasses....like saying that it is unarguable that Nelson quickly turned around the franchise while ignoring that he traded half the franchise for Sean Bradley and then it took 4 years to crack 500.

Or like saying that it's irrelevant that those early trades didn't look good then and they don't now. It's not irrelevant, it's part of the overall package of his performance while he was hear.

Don Nelson was good for the mavs when he was here, but the unadulterated Nelson butt-licking is just a bunch of homerish nonsense.

Cheers

-----
For an example of turning a franchise around --

Jimmy Johnson...the Cowboys had one player when he arrived, Hershel Walker. They weren't a young team with some talent that wasn't winning any games but instead they were a bad old team. 4 years later they had a gaggle of future hall of famers and they'd won a superbowl -- that is a remarkable and quick turnaround.

Nelson took a team that had some talent but wasn't winning many games and made them a team that could get through the first round of the playoffs before getting their heads handed back to them. Nelson's accomplishment, in comparison to the great Jimmy Johnson's feat, was chicken shit.

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-07-2007 at 06:29 PM.