Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Who in the league is like Howard?

I've been thinking of other swingmen who are as good defensively and I can think of a few. Artest comes to mind but he's a headcase. Bruce Bowen but I think Howard can guard more players because he is sligthly more athletic. Bowen might have the edge in offense though. Doug Christie maybe? I feel that the weakest link on the Mavs right now is the SF position. If Howard goes down, so goes the D. So, I was looking for a "poor man's" Howard or someone as good.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Who in the league is like Howard?

i always thought Tayshaun Prince was similar
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: bradleywillcrushyou44
i always thought Tayshaun Prince was similar
But people are scared of Josh. Josh has no fear, which I haven't seen from Tayshaun. The only dunks I've seen Tayshaun do are on the fast break, never in traffic like Josh.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I was looking around and I thought George Lynch might be similar. Not as good anymore but could be a filler in the SF position. He makes 3 mil a year for 2 more years. Isn't Tayshaun a little taller too? Would Najera be considered similar to Josh?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Shawn Marion...similar in build, rebound prowess, defensive ability and energy. As Josh improves on the offensive end, the comparison becomes more and more valid.

…or maybe James Posey with better offense.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Who in the league is like Howard?

who fears Josh?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
who fears Josh?

garnett ... ok, I'm kidding, but I do think there are quite a few pg's that are a bit fearful of Howard.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Simon2
Diamond Member

Like who and why?

Quote:
Originally posted by: JLEEHASMUCHGAME
Quote:
who fears Josh?

garnett ... ok, I'm kidding, but I do think there are quite a few pg's that are a bit fearful of Howard.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Quote:
who fears Josh?
Kevin Garnett

Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
be easy

be easy is on a distinguished road

the rook josh smith certainly has to be the best josh howard knock-off imo.
be easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I think Shawn Marion but not with the shooting range yet.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Josh is a cross between Prince and Marion. But let's not forget he has a twin!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

guys like marbury or jamal tinsley (while the pacers are depending on him) are good examples. Josh usually is manned up with the opposition's best player who is not 7 feet tall, and that often means he is manned up against pg's who don't seem to be able to do, well, anything against him. Take the NY game a couple of weeks ago. Crawford and Marbury were a combined 5-26 for 19 points, 9 assist, and 4 turnovers. I would say that is pretty much shut down defense to be feared, no?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

dirno2000 is the closest with his Marion remark. It would be great if he can get to his level offensively but athletically it's Matrix all the way.

It would be nice if he can get a better build and become an Artest, that's not to far off. minus the attitude.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #15
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Ron Artest, but Howard gets a few more rebounds, Artest is a better shooter. Other than that, no one plays like Josh Howard.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

James Posey

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #17
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Marion.

I'd say Marion's got better offense and may be slightly better defense. They both rebound very well. Josh has better ball-handling... especially lately he's been bringing the ball up after a defensive rebound and creating his own shot, kinda' like Daniels.

One aspect of Josh, I don't like is his passing. I don't understand, why he would never pass the ball on a fast break. And I don't know why the coaches don't get on him for that. Of course, it's the same issue with his twin, Daniels. *sigh*

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #18
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Howard is a younger Kirilenko-type player. The style of play and stats and development are way similar.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #19
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

PE just made the point that I was going to make Howard is a poor mans Kirilenko, becuse AK has a few inches on him and still very long. Prince is the other good example. I think that Howards offense game will eventually be equal to any of the other guys mentioned. He is a 20-10 guy waying to happen at the SF position.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Howard is a younger Kirilenko-type player. The style of play and stats and development are way similar.
With the exception of shotblocking, I think that's a pretty good comparison.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
and remember, even though AK as the height advantage, Howard's wingspan probably makes up for it...Josh has the same wingspan as Bradley....that is rediculous

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 PM   #22
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
and remember, even though AK as the height advantage, Howard's wingspan probably makes up for it...Josh has the same wingspan as Bradley....that is rediculous
You serious? Howard has the same wingspan as Bradley???

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #23
samoan-maverick

Hey does anybody realize Howard could start in the rookie-soph challenge???

G- Hinrich
G- Wade
F- Lebron
F- Howard
C- Kaman
C- Bosh
IL- Melo

he's the fourth best sophmore this season so he should start.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: samoan-maverick
Hey does anybody realize Howard could start in the rookie-soph challenge???

G- Hinrich
G- Wade
F- Lebron
F- Howard
C- Kaman
C- Bosh
IL- Melo

he's the fourth best sophmore this season so he should start.
boy, that is turning out to be one fine draft...

Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as his temperament, he reminds me of a young Latrell Sprewell. Both were low 1st round picks by Don Nelson who never seemed phased by the transition to the NBA. From day one, Spree was an aggressive slasher and didn't back down from anyone and wasn't shy about putting the ball up when he was open. Josh was and is the same way. This’s what most impressed me about him last year.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #26
Simon2
Diamond Member

Would you say Manu and Howard are the same?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #27
sike
The Preacha

no

Old 01-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

temperment and playing style are different things....
playing style may be similar, but their temperment seems (at this point) drastically different to me

Old 01-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #29
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'd still go with temperament or the way they apporached the game. Remember, this was under Nellie and as far as I know, they didn't have any problems.

As far as playing style, Marion is the best comparison IMO.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

Howard and Spree may both approach the game with intensity, but their temperments are (or seem to be) at opposite ends of the spectrum...
if you are saying that Spree used to be a layed back easy going guy who had nothing but hard work and winning on his mind, then you may be right...but the temperment of the Spree of today is nothing like the Howard of today.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #31
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Howard and Spree may both approach the game with intensity, but their temperments are (or seem to be) at opposite ends of the spectrum...
if you are saying that Spree used to be a layed back easy going guy who had nothing but hard work and winning on his mind, then you may be right...but the temperment of the Spree of today is nothing like the Howard of today.
That's why I said a young Latrell Sprewell.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #32
sike
The Preacha

I see

Old 01-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

yes sir....I am serious

Old 01-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #34
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

I guess since last year, I was thinking Josh's upside would make him a Doug Chrissy/Shawn Marion type of player.

But after the way he has come along this year, he may end up being a ... dare I say ... Scottie Pippen type of player. That would take a lot more development. Mostly Josh would have to learn how to control his play the way Scottie did so that he becomes a ballhandler and a passer when needed.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 AM   #35
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

James Posey, Eric Williams, Al Harrington, Devean George, Shawn Marion.
I think Howard is better than all of them with the exception of Marion.

mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #36
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

Marion is lightyears ahead of Howard. Howard is not a shotblocker of any sort. Marion is more freakishly athletic, but their perimeter skills are almost comparable.

I liken Howard to Andre Iguodala, although I think Andre has a slight edge as far as athleticism.

- Brian

[edit] after checking their stats I realized how similar they really are. I'm really curious to see what kind of player Iggy is going to be in this league. He's extremely versatile.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Your Sixers homerism is showing.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #38
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

haha Howard is nothing like Andre?!?! Just please look at #'s (use Josh's rookie if you will, he has improved greatly since). Tell me what you really think, don't just wench at me.

- Brian

~ I say numbers because I'm sure you will argue against any point I make about their styles of play. So I figure it's best if you look at something that will appear the same to me as it does to you. Everything down to their %'s are close. Very close. Scoring is all that separates them (unless of course you use Josh's rookie #'s) I'm really curious to see if you honestly think they are not very similar.

Who do you think gaurds the opposing teams best perimeter player? For the Mavs? For the sixers? Is there a reason for this?
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #39
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

The iggy-howard comparison seems fair enough to me. They both have similar frames and contribute similarly stat-wise. I can't say who is more athletic because I haven't watched Iggy play, but from what I've seen of Howard, Iggy would have to be quite the athlete to have the edge.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #40
samoan-maverick

The only thing about the comparison is that we dont know what Josh will be, or Andre. But we know what Marion, Posey, Kirilenko(which i think is a horrible comparison AK47 > > > > Josh) and Artest are. That's why this comparison is as pointless as Brian Cook.

Tags
josh howard