Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Healthy Harris crucial

MAVERICKS NOTES

Healthy Harris crucial

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - The health of backup point guard Devin Harris is critical to the Mavericks' long-range goal of winning the NBA title this season.

Harris has the ability to increase the tempo while allowing starting point guard Jason Terry to slide over and play the shooting guard spot. Also, Harris' explosiveness in attacking the basket puts pressure on the defense and gets his teammates in position for open looks.

But if Harris, who has missed 18 of the past 19 games with a strained left quadriceps, is unable to play, it will put a strain on the Mavs offensively and defensively.

"We'll miss his speed, his quickness and his ability to penetrate and break the defense down and create shots for others," Terry said. "And also, defensively, extending the court and being able to pick up and pressure full court."

Harris expects to test his quadriceps tonight and play 15-25 minutes when the Mavs host the Los Angeles Clippers in the regular-season finale for both teams.

He also said he plans to play in the first round of the playoffs, although he felt a pull during some of the transition drills Saturday at practice. That's why he sat out Sunday's game against Utah.

Harris said his main concern is "that we can have a reoccurrence and have the leg swell up again with fluid. But I don't think that's a possibility."

The Mavs have sorely missed Harris' up-tempo game, going 9-9 during his absence. Coach Avery Johnson said he "can go over 10 reasons why it is important" to have Harris back in the saddle.

"If we don't have him, we'll have to move forward like we've done all alone," Johnson said. "[Darrell] Armstrong and Marquis Daniels have given us some minutes at the backup point guard spot.

"[But] Devin takes a lot of pressure off of us in a lot of different ways."

No. 61 is on the way?

The Mavericks (60-21) can set a franchise record for season wins if they defeat the Clippers.

The Mavs also won 60 games during the 2002-03 season.

"We're going out and we'll shoot for it, and I know our fans want it," Jason Terry said. "I was at my radio show [Monday] night [on 103.3 FM] and all the fans were chanting 61 and MVP and championship.

"So everybody's psyched up, and it's a fun time to be a Maverick."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

This team MUST have a healthy 95% Devin Harris to have a chance. Devin runs the team better than Jet, and is a quality scorer, perimeter defender, and steals guy. He is the Anti-Parkerginobli. However, I'm not so confident that the Spurs are going to get out of Arco in 5 games. I think that series is going to go 6 or 7.

If Devin can stay healthy I think the Mavs go all the way to the finals and win it. If he is not, then its gonna be a rocky playoffs like last year....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Yes. everyone on this board has already made that statement about 1 million times that Devin is necessary. It is getting quite boring now to go on this forum and see everyone saying the same damn thing over and over again. This same statement has been said I think at least 5 times in each thread.

It is like saying Dirk is a good jump shooter, or JHO is a good slasher and We need Dirk to play good in the playoffs. DUH>

Last edited by sixeightmkw; 04-19-2006 at 08:58 AM.
sixeightmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

I think we'll be okay in the playoffs because Dirk is a good jump shooter and JHo is a good slasher. However, it does bear repeating: Devin is necessary.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey 6-8...did you know that Devin is necessary?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

hahaha, boom
I just shot myself
Old 04-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
hahaha, boom
I just shot myself
I was alredy dead and I just shot myself again
KABOOM
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"This team MUST have a healthy 95% Devin Harris to have a chance."

why 95%?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
"This team MUST have a healthy 95% Devin Harris to have a chance."

why 95%?
because it's better than 94%
Old 04-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

I just find it kind of humorous how seemingly EVERYONE is saying how Devin is so critical to our Championship quest (to which I agree), and how he runs the team so much better than anyone else. I distinctly remember hearing ad nauseam, not so long ago, that he was positively a bust, being that he hadn't taken over the starting job from JT (which I always found rather funny, in that this is only his second season).

Funny the difference a season (more specifically, a couple of Spurs games) makes.

Go MAVS!

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Know what I think? I think Devin is necessary and we need Dirk to play good.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Know what I think? I think Devin is necessary and we need Dirk to play good.
I think they need to lace 'em up, give 110%, and take it one game at a time...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 04-19-2006 at 01:12 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

play well, U2. Playing good is what a bad person would do if he wanted to seem like a good person.

Anyway, Griff and Harris healthy make this team an elite team. We continued to win after they went out, but they really add so much versatility, focus and oomph to this team. Griff is working his way back in and hopefully Harris can play some in the first round and be back to pester Parker in the second.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

has anyone heard anthing more about harris' mri? like what the suspected problem was?
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #15
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

well, he had a full practice yesterday and is supposed to play limited minutes tongiht and throughout the 1st round. so I guess not too bad.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

he's not playing tonight, but he looks in good spirits on the bench. if he doesnt play in the first round, i want an explanation. seriously, they never say anything about his injury
Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 AM   #17
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Harris' playoff status is up in air

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Mavericks backup point guard Devin Harris doesn't apologize for being competitive.

He does admit his returns to the court from a strained thigh muscle might not have been the smartest course. With the first series against Memphis set to begin Sunday, the health of a key playoff piece remains in question.

"They've kind of got to hold me back to make sure it is healthy enough because this is the wrong time to have a reccurrence, especially late in the season," Harris said Wednesday before the Mavs' 85-71 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers in the regular-season finale at American Airlines Center.

Mavs coach Avery Johnson is hopeful Harris is available at some point in the best-of-seven series against the Grizzlies but doesn't know when that might be. The team has three days off to rest and practice before the opener at 8:30 p.m. Sunday in Dallas.

"In a perfect world, he'll be ready to go Sunday, but we're not sure if that's going to happen," Johnson said.

Harris just can't seem to shake the strained left quadriceps he first injured Feb. 9. He missed 24 of the last 33 games, aborting comeback attempts three times after flare-ups.

After hurting the quad, Harris sat out only one game, then played in two games before the All-Star break, in the Rookie Challenge and in three games coming out of the break.

"That's probably when it got worse," he said.

Harris would miss four games before returning again. In the third game of Comeback II, the injury got the better of Harris after six minutes against Sacramento.

"It felt great, then, three games later, I'm back on the DL, so, obviously, it was too soon," he said.

That led to 17 games on the shelf. Johnson planned to have Harris available for the last two or three games, but after Harris logged seven minutes against Phoenix last week, soreness left him in street clothes for the last two games.

Harris' drive to return drove Johnson and the Mavs' training staff to take an ultra-conservative approach.

"Devin has had a lot of pressure on him," Johnson said. "Sometimes, when a player has a lot of pressure on him, sometimes you don't always get exactly how they're feeling because sometimes they want to tell you what you want to hear."

The team put Harris through a "battery of tests" to test the quad.

"He had pretty much the top-level strain, which is close to a pull and not a tear," Johnson said. "It's pretty serious, and, because of that, it's taken him longer, but, again, guys' bodies heal differently."

Harris has learned that the hard way.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh...
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I don't think we need him for the Grizzlies' series... let him take the next week or two off and get back 100% healthy for the SA series... we'll certainly need him there!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #20
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Fish's update on Harris:

DEVIN SAYS HE'S READY: Devin Harris went though a regular practice and, he says, along with the team medical staff, proclaimed himself ready for action.
"I got the OK from the doctors, so now it's up to the coach,'' said the backup point guard, considered key to the Mavs' postseason plans. "I will be in uniform.''
Harris' strained left quadriceps was first injured on Feb. 9. He missed 24 of the Mavs' last 33 games, despite -- or maybe because of -- repeated attempts to return.
"He was OK,'' coach Avery Johnson said, adding that the team will continue to take a wait-and-see approach to playing Harris in Game 1 against Memphis (8:30 p.m., Sunday).
433 pm April 21 06

Last edited by jleefilled; 04-21-2006 at 09:35 PM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Avery said this was his best practice in two months.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 PM   #22
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i thought he looked pretty happy on the bench last game. he didnt look like a player whod been shelved for the season
Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #23
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It sounds like he'll be ok, and its obvious we need him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Did I mention that we need Dirk to play good and Harris is necessary?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #25
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone think that Devin will come back with an improved jumpshot? Usually when a player is out that long, all they do is just shoot jumpers in practice.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #26
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
Does anyone think that Devin will come back with an improved jumpshot? Usually when a player is out that long, all they do is just shoot jumpers in practice.
That sounds about right, but I'd expect Devin to keep doing what he's been doing.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #27
kriD
Platinum Member

MAVERICKS NOTES

Harris says he's ready for playoffs

By MERCEDES MAYER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DALLAS - Guard Devin Harris said with a smile Friday that his ongoing struggle with his left quadriceps injury might soon be over.

He's "pretty sure" he'll be able to play in the Mavericks' playoff opener against the Memphis Grizzlies at 8:30 p.m. Sunday at American Airlines Center.

Harris practiced Friday and said it went well. He said his playing time Sunday will probably be at a minimum, depending on how much coach Avery Johnson wants him to play.

"I did most of the stuff and made sure I didn't go too hard," Harris said. "In some of the drills [Johnson] had to tell me to slow down, but everything felt great. No setbacks or anything like that. I can still get to the rim. That's all that counts."

Johnson is waiting "to see what happens with his recovery and see if he can make it though another practice."

Lessons learned

Although the first-round series is a best-of-seven, Dirk Nowitzki was quick to point out that Game 1 is important.

"We don't want to get down on our home court and give it up ever again," Nowitzki said, referring to the 0-2 start the Mavs gave up at home last season against Houston in the first round of the playoffs.

"That was a position you never want to be in again."

Everyone from then-rookie coach Avery Johnson to the All-Star Nowitzki learned something from last year's postseason. But finally experiencing it might have provided the biggest lesson of all.

"It'll be a whole different ball game," guard Jason Terry said. "There won't be any feeling-out process. It's a tough fight. You can't just come into a game and think you're going to show up and win."

In good company

Dirk Nowitzki finished the regular season averaging 26.6 points a game and shooting 90.1 percent from the free-throw line.

Only two other players, Larry Bird and Rick Barry, have averaged more than 26 points and 90 percent or better from the foul line in NBA history.

"That's great, 90 percent is something I've always wanted to accomplish from the free-throw line," Nowitzki said. "The company I'm in with Larry Legend is great to be around. Hopefully I can make them in the playoffs, too."

Briefly

Josh Howard did not practice Friday because of a sore lower back but is expected to practice today.

Darrell Armstrong also didn't practice Friday after spraining his ankle Wednesday, but he should practice today.