Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light
Question How is a day without Mexicans going?

Wanted to find out how a day without mexicans is going in your neck of the woods. I haven't seen aything of the such. When I woke up this morning, our mexican lawn co. was mowing the lawn at the apartments where I live, then at the gas station, there were mexicans buying gas, food, etc....., then all the mexicans at my work are here and reporting, they all went out to eat for lunch, while I was at the gas station at lunch time I saw numerous mexicans buying gas again as well as food. I thought this was the great rise of the Mexicans to show us what it would be like if there weren't any here. How's that goin?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

haven't seen much of an impact.

but just wanted to say in general, that we should probably watch what's said in this thread.

and its not spurred by anything you said 68. just in general.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen any impact, except a lot of children playing hookey.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, I know. The hispanics at my work don't really care about this at all. They keep syaing I am American. I don't need to go and march.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There have been a few (housekeepers, food service, etc) who failed to show up and will be out of work this afternoon but other than that not much. We sub out our housekeeping service and for the most part everyone was there. They allowed those wished to participate the day off. Another company near us had almost half their housekeeping staff not show up and not give any notice. That company is letting those employees go and has begun research into the legal status of their employees. I have a feeling those who didn't show up just screwed over those who did in that case.

I get coffee every monring at a local Starbucks. The manager and my favorite employee were both out on personal days with the blessing of Starbucks. Those employers who allowed their people to participate with notice are doing the right thing imho. Those who just didn't show up and left the employers hanging get what they deserve.

I have no problem with this assembly/protest as long as it remains peacefull. I heard rumors of US flag burning in Los Angeles today. That is horsecrap.

Let us remember that many of these folks are illegally in the United States. They have broken the law. They need to be on their best behavior.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

most aren't "mexicans", they're americans.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
most aren't "mexicans", they're americans.
Source?

There are millions of illegal aliens in the US.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

The instance that I observed today was with a lady who I presume is a home healthcare worker who I see reguarly in my neighborhood with an elderly disabled lady.

She was wearing a button in support of immigrants today, but she was working as usual. She seems to have such regard for her patient (who definitely needs assistance) that she wouldn't take the time off to protest.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

"source". too funny.

there are tens of millions of legal immigrants in the us.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
"source". too funny.

there are tens of millions of legal immigrants in the us.
Yes a source. We know that you like to pull statements like this out of your backside but what is your "source"? It is estimated that millions of illegals cross the border each year so it stands to reason that there would be a chance that they could outnumber the Americans who chose to participate. As you can see above, many of the legal Mexicans are not interested in this garbage. Of course, you are too dense to understand this but we understand your limitations of intellect.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-01-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope that by the end of it all we get another national holiday out of the deal.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
Mavdog
Diamond Member

let's see, "assimilated americans day"?

then we'll need an "inidigenous americans day".
Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
Mavdog
Diamond Member

yes, the light bulb isn't burning...

keep up the good work.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

The Mexicans who are legal americans told me at work today that they didn't march or take off work or whatever cause they could care less. They said that they are americans and if illegal immirgrants want to come here then they need to go through the process as they did. The day without a mexican didn't seem to do jack today. My wife, who teaches with about 50% of the teachers being mexican said they were all at work today, none of the kids were out of class, and none of their parents took the day off either.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Interesting 6-8. There were several here who took advantage of the day off. I didn't see any large marches but there were a couple of sign holders on the corners.

If a person wants to legally immigrate here, more power to them, but the ones that are creating all of this bull are the ones who expect everything to be handed to them because they illegally entered our country. Those who did so are criminals. They broke a criminal law. That cannot be argued.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #16
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Well, it can be, because "they" didn't. It's a violation of the immigration laws, which aren't criminal laws, and don't subject the violators to criminal penalties. Certainly, it is related, and even though you might say the difference is really technical, criminal laws and immigration laws are two different animals that carry two differnt penalties.
You can try to title the law any way you want but you are wrong. They broke a law which is punishable by incarceration and deportation. They are criminals.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Re: What do immigrants want?

I imagine there are various answers to that question, but the whole debate reminds me of an experience froma couple of years ago.

I was helping a friend manage some fairly small-scale office renovations, and was dealing with a contractor whom he'd engaged. My friend had advanced the contractor a deposit for materials (Mistake #1), and the contractor hired a couple of guys to do a paint job which was going to take 4-5 days. The guys show up to paint, and they're working fine, but after about 2 days, the contractor stops returning calls, and stops showing up at the work site.

I start talking to the painters and they are Latino immigrants working as day laborers. They're about halfway through the job, but they tell me that the contractor owes them for two previous weeks' work, and that they have been told by other workers that he doesn't pay. One of the painters doesn't return after the 3rd day. The other painter agrees to finish the job, but asks me to try to help him get paid. He said he'd been in the states for 5 years, and sends money home every month to a wife and two sons back in Colombia.

I never see the contractor again. Once I start calling around to places from which he was supposedly buying materials, I find out that no orders have been place, and one of them finally flat out tells me that they stopped doing business with the contractor because he didn't pay.

I end up paying the painter to finish the job--because it was the right thing to do, but also, because it was holding up other work that would've delayed move-in. No time to go hunt down other contractors, get them to give a bid, and get them to schedule a job. He helped us out of a bind, we paid him.

What do immigrants want? The guy I dealt with definitely wasn't looking for a free ride, or to take advantage of any social services. He was here trying to make a buck to support a family in Colombia.

What an immigrant like him might want would be some type of legal protection against a guy like the contractor who could cheat him out of almost a month's wages, just because he knew he could and knew the worker wouldn't have any recourse. It happens all the time.

I guess a person could just argue that if they're here illegally, they deserve what they get, which is probably the same rationale the contractor used.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #19
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Re: What do immigrants want?

I guess a person could just argue that if they're here illegally, they deserve what they get, which is probably the same rationale the contractor used.

[/SIZE]
Then by all means become a legal citizen. Then he won't have to worry about that. But then again, there are plenty of citizens that get taken to the cleaner too. Learn english, get an education, something. Here are some points from the visaus.gov website stating who can become a citizen.

1. Are at least 18 years old and a lawful permanent resident ("green card" holder);
2. Have resided continuously in the United States, having been lawfully admitted for permanent residence, for five years immediately preceding the date you filed your application for naturalization, or
3. Have, after having been removed from conditional permanent resident status, based upon your marriage to a U.S. citizen, having resided in the United States for one year after the date the condition was removed;
4. Have resided continuously in the United States at all times after your application to the time and date of your admission for citizenship;
5. Have, during all periods of time referred to above, been and still are a person of good moral character;
6. Have no outstanding deportation or removal order and no pending deportation or removal proceeding;
7. Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand simple words and phrases in English;
8. Have knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. history and government;
9. Are attached to, and can support, the principles of the U.S. Constitution and can swear allegiance to the United States.

how to get a green card to be an immigrant with employment status
How Do I Become an Immigrant Based on Employment?
An immigrant is a foreign national who is authorized to live and work permanently in the United States. You must go through a multi-step process to become an immigrant based on employment.

The USCIS must approve an immigrant petition (application) that was filed for you, usually by an employer.

In most employment categories (See EB-2 and EB-3 eligibility and filing information below), a U.S. employer must complete a labor certification request (ETA 750) for you from the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration.

The State Department must give you an immigrant visa number, even if you are already in the United States. Please see How Do I Get an Immigrant Visa Number?.

If you are already in the United States, you must apply to adjust to permanent resident status when a visa number becomes available. Please see How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident while in the United States? If you are outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, you will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa.

Not very hard. But the only excuses I have heard are it takes toooooo long. Wahh. Deal with it. And I guess the biggest problem is they have to learn english.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #21
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Yeah, I know, it was actually kinda funny. This one lady that sits next to me, about a 50 year old mexican lady, she started cussing and stuff about the whole thing. Kinda funny stuff.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #22
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

well the trash in my neighborhood didnt get picked up today.

in addition, apparently all construction in my neighborhood also couldnt go on today.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
well the trash in my neighborhood didnt get picked up today.

in addition, apparently all construction in my neighborhood also couldnt go on today.
We use a lot of day labor and there was none. The construction industry here reported sporadic absences. Also, my elderly neighbor has her yard mowed by a group of Mexicans. They do awesome work but they failed to show up today. She was pissed.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Our lawn service didn't work today. It was pretty stupid as they'll double up tommorrow to get the same work done.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #25
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

a mexican made my sandwitch today at Subway. It was delicious.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #26
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
a mexican made my sandwitch today at Subway. It was delicious.
same here. actually 2 mexicans made my sandwhich at Subway
Old 05-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #27
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
same here. actually 2 mexicans made my sandwhich at Subway
me three.

Damn - subway made a killing today.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #28
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Geraldo Rivera, I guess he is good for something.

He intereviewd the mayor of Los Angeles, Mayor Villageros or something like that. He had some interesting points.

It was offensive to him that they did the national anthem thing. he said it should be sung in english, just as any other national anthem should be sung in its original language.
Also that illegal immigrants need to get legalized the legal way and speak english. ha. pretty funny.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to say, I got my tacos just fine. But, I suppose they were probably Mexican Americans...and not mexican mexicans.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

LA Mayor Villegos sounds intelligent. I wonder if he made a sandwich today?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:20 AM   #31
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

This boycott was not for us common folk, it was a show for our A..hole senators, congressmen and our misguided president.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishForLunch
This boycott was not for us common folk, it was a show for our A..hole senators, congressmen and our misguided president.
So you're saying that Bush didn't get his Subway today?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:59 AM   #33
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I really didn't see much happen at all.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 AM   #34
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I don't understand this "march". If they didn't want to go into work why not just fake sick like everyone else?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:35 AM   #35
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I hear so many different things about what the mexicans want from this whole march and stuff. I hear that the illegal immigrants want the same rights as regular americans. But then I also hear they want reform. Reform for what though? Reform the immirgration laws to make it easier to become a citizen? Then I thought they were marching against Bush and that law to have harsher penalties for illegal immigrants and stuff. I am confused about exactly what they want.

If they want reform to the immigration laws, they I am for that. I hope they get everything organized so we don't have this big mess of millions of illegals running around in our country. But if illegals want the same rights as americans, then that is just ridiculous.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #36
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I've heard (on the news) them say they want "respect", but it seems like they are equating respect for humankind with embracing their choice to illegally immigrate. I completely understand going to the ends of the earth to support your children, but to demand citizenship (when so many are legally in line for it) is rather presumptuous. Where did the entitlement come from?

There was a guest on Fox News yesterday morning who said Americans stole the land from the natives, so Mexicans were more entitled to it than the current residents. That was pretty disturbing.

If we had been screwed* by a day of boycotts, wouldn't that make the citizens afraid to embrace more and more of "them"? Wouldn't that tell us that unless we give them what they want (now and in future voting situations), they will just "take it" by banding together? What's the deal with these news shots of guys yelling into the microphone in Spanish while shaking their fist and slapping their bicep? That doesn't make me feel so warm and fuzzy - kinda makes me nervous since I'm so white colored looking.

The Latino guys who work in accounting were here yesterday. I also saw Latinos working at the gym and McDonalds.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Wrong. Illegals can be arrested, held in JAIL until such time as they are deported or a judge orders other action. They broke the law. It's funny...they are entered into the TCIC and NCIC databases and are shown to have a prior arrest and if convicted, a conviction. They are criminals. Piss off if you don't like the way I package my ideas. As a matter of fact, you can piss off if you do.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-02-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #38
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #39
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

ok, have to give this one to Doc.

Under Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, "Improper Entry by Alien," any citizen of any country other than the United States who:

Enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers; or

Eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers; or

Attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact;
has committed a federal crime.

Violations are punishable by criminal fines and imprisonment for up to six months. Repeat offenses can bring up to two years in prison. Additional civil fines may be imposed at the discretion of immigration judges, but civil fines do not negate the criminal sanctions or nature of the offense.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #40
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 06:04 PM.