Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: Predict final W-L (Currently 3-3)
Lucky to win another game (5-11) 3 5.66%
Some good, some bad (8-8) 20 37.74%
Romo's play will inspire the defense (10-6) 27 50.94%
Second-coming of Tom Brady (13-3) 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default How will the 'Boys do the rest of the way with Romo?

So it's official: Romo the rest of the way. How do you think he and the Cowboys do the rest of the way?
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Is it official that's it's for the rest of the way? All I heard was that Romo was starting this Sunday. Anyway, I voted 8-8 but I think you guys will finish 9-7.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Is this the official ROMO thread? Cause we need one...

8-8
loses: @Car, @Wash, Ind, NO, @ Atl
wins: @ Az, TB, @NY, Phil, Det

That's a split with each division foe, and two wins to end the season on a high note. They're an average team.

Last edited by capitalcity; 10-26-2006 at 04:57 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Second comming of Tom Brady. Book it. All the credit to me if it happens.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say 7-9 is actually more likely, but 8-8 was the closest, so I picked it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

I agree 100%, but I already called 7-9 in another thread... 8-8 is closest...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My thinking as well.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Booted out of the first round of the playoffs

Romo is gonna hit TO a lot, and that will win us games
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

I voted 8-8, but frankly, I have no idea what the hell is gonna happen. Except that we're NOT going 13-3, I know that's not gonna happen.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

10-6

This team isn't as bad as it looked Monday night and the offensive line isn't as bad as the national media is portraying them to be.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, 10-6. This is a very good football team. They have a few things they need to work out (who doesn't), and it looks like they may have just worked out the biggest one.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Yep, 10-6. This is a very good football team. They have a few things they need to work out (who doesn't), and it looks like they may have just worked out the biggest one.
How, exactley, does it look like they've wroked out the biggest one? I suppose you can say you THINK they worked out their biggest one, but there's certainly no evidence of that yet.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't imagine a team as talented as this year's Cowboys not making the playoffs, or at least not having a good enough record to warrant them.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I just can't imagine a team as talented as this year's Cowboys not making the playoffs, or at least not having a good enough record to warrant them.
An inexperienced QB is by far the biggest wild card there is in the NFL.

If we go 7-3 to end the season, I will be beyond shocked.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
I just can't imagine a team as talented as this year's Cowboys not making the playoffs...
Imagine harder Dan.

How about the 2005 Dallas Cowboys?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

T.O. happy about QB change; Cowboys owner sorry it happened

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
October 26, 2006

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- While Jerry Jones is disappointed the Dallas Cowboys are going to their backup quarterback, he won't get any complaints from Terrell Owens.

T.O. said Thursday he already feels better chemistry with Tony Romo than he ever did with deposed starter Drew Bledsoe. Owens even had an example, pointing out his 8-yard touchdown catch against New York Giants on Monday night.

"I looked across the formation and he looked at me and he knew what was going on," Owens said. "It's just two players making a play."

Did he and Bledsoe ever develop that bond?

"I honestly tried to do that time and time again," he said. "But for whatever reason it didn't happen."

What happened with Bledsoe were turnovers, far too many for coach Bill Parcells to tolerate. So he switched to the unproven Romo at halftime against the Giants, then on Wednesday announced that Romo would keep the job when Dallas (3-3) plays at Carolina on Sunday night.

Jones hinted Tuesday he wanted to stick with the veteran. He explained Thursday that he actually was clinging to his preseason belief that Bledsoe would lead Dallas to the playoffs.

"I'm disappointed at the reason we're having to make this change," Jones said.

The QB switch has forced Jones to lower his expectations for this season. He's no longer convinced this team could be "special," the code word he and Parcells used this summer instead of saying they expected a deep playoff run.

"I have to be a realist," Jones said. "I hadn't thought or hoped that we'd be sitting here after the sixth game making these adjustments. ... I did not want to this year go to an inexperienced quarterback. I wanted to have the benefit of Drew Bledsoe. It hasn't worked out as of today. It just hasn't worked out. That to me is a step back."

Romo is in his fourth year with the Cowboys, but had never thrown a pass until two games ago. In his relief appearance Monday night, the former Division I-AA player of the year was 14-of-25 for 227 yards and two touchdowns and ran for a 2-point conversion. He also threw three interceptions.

Interceptions were Bledsoe's undoing. He had three in each of Dallas' first two losses, then a costly one against New York on what became his final pass.

Parcells wasn't the only one on the Cowboys sideline disgusted by that play. Teammates were frustrated by the same old, same old, too.

It hadn't gotten to the point that players were lobbying for a change, but linebacker Bradie James said it was being discussed.

How strong was the support for Romo?

"I don't know if it was sizzling," he said. "It might've been lukewarm."

James said everyone is rallying around Romo "because that's who we need to believe in."

"It'd be that way if it was Matt Baker," said James, referring to the team's practice squad QB. "We're going to roll with Romo and get it going. This is the guy. He's the golden child right now."

Romo has been getting ready for a long time, having sat by while Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson and Bledsoe all got their chances.

The organization liked his potential enough that he received a second contract extension, and a $2 million bonus, in the preseason, locking him up through 2007. Yet he was never trusted enough to throw the ball until recently.

"I saw him coming along. I saw things I liked in the player," Parcells said. "Now it's time. I guess I was ready now."

Parcells said he's not nervous about starting Romo. He said the better description is "anxious to see what is going to happen."

Confidence is not an issue with Romo. Neither is mobility, Bledsoe's biggest weakness. Romo also has a quicker release, all of which should lead to fewer sacks -- and, as Owens hopes, more hookups to No. 81 on broken plays.

"Once he gets outside that pocket, he can make some things happen," Owens said. "He has some coaches who will be in his ear to just get the ball to the playmakers and everything will work out well."

The knocks on Romo are his lack of experience, obviously, as well average arm strength and a tendency to make what Parcells calls "impulse" throws.

But now Romo may have a chance to get comfortable. Each game will be an audition to see if he deserves to start the next one, and at the end of the season the Cowboys will have a better idea if he's their quarterback of the future. He's already set to become the ninth starter since Troy Aikman.

"I think Bill's expectations are for us to go 10-0. That would be ideal," Romo said. "You are going to lose in this league. That's going to happen. You just have to make sure you take it week by week and get yourself ready to go every week for a new challenge."

Jones has taken pride in "consciously tried not to go to the top of the draft to get a quarterback." However, he acknowledged Thursday that he might have to change that philosophy if things don't pan out with Romo.

"Part of the responsibility I have is how you address the long term situation at quarterback," said Jones, who also is the team's general manager. "My mind-set would be to say, positively, it's going to work. ... In my mind, we're going to see a player that makes some plays, makes some things happen."

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Imagine harder Dan.

How about the 2005 Dallas Cowboys?
Cap, out of the next 10 teams we face, can you name 4 that are better?

Carolina at Carolina
Washington at DC
Arizona at Arizona
Indy at Dallas
Tampa at Dallas
NY at NY
NO at Dallas
Atlanta at Atlanta
Philly at Dallas
Detroit at Dallas

The only games I think we simply will NOT win will be the Indy and NY games. I think we could win the Carolina game, but it will be a major test for the line and Romo. If Romo passes the test this week, do you honestly think the Arizonas, Washingtons, Detroits, NOs, and Tampas of the world will beat us??? Atlanta will be a tough game, but we are very good against the run, (minus this past week that is).

I believe we finish 10-6 with losses to Carolina, Indy, and NY. We have been beating the teams we are better than and losing to the better clubs. I think we handle the mediocre to average teams and that is enough. Could we be 8-8 or worse? Sure! But I, unlike most of you, don't think Romo is worse than Bledsoe considering our line. I just don't! So if our QB play improves, and Lord knows it can't get much worse, how can you see 7-3, with our talent, out of the picture?

Guys, we really do have a good team here. We just need the O-Line to step up. They were playing really well until Philly exposed them and showed the league how to play against us, (in fact, before the Philly game or something like that, wasn't Bledsoe leading the league regarding fewest sacks AND Julius Jones leading the league in yards per game - not bad eh?). Well, that method shouldn't work as well anymore with Romo back there, so I think it changes stuff in our favor. The kid just has to settle down and make plays.

Lets see if he can Sunday!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 10-27-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

If the O-line can simply improve a little, (and having Romo back there will definitely help because the blitzes won't be called quite as often), we can get back to running effectively and letting Romo pick his spots.

The dude needs to breathe and relax prior to starting a series, as he tries to make a major play every time, even when he shouldn't even consider anything other than throwing it away/taking the sack.

There is a fine line between Bledsoe and Romo regarding pocket presence. Romo needs to find that happy medium where he is getting it out, but not at the expense of turnovers to prevent incompletions/sacks.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Awesome.

We didn't need T.O. to make this Bill's last season. But he has and it will be.

Just think what this team could've been with Steve Hutchinson instead of T.O. and Vanderjack + a draft loaded with OLs and WRs and FSs. That's right - contenders.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

count on 3 more INTs a game and a T.O. explosion somewhere down the road......

Come on basketball season.....
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Turn out the lights...the party's over...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #22
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

10-6... There's just something about Romo that makes me think he's going to be something special. He just seems to have the "it" factor. He made a lot of big plays on Monday and his mistakes will diminish as time goes on imo. He reminds me of a young Farve, he's either going to win it or lose it for you. He's going to try and force things sometimes but the big plays usually will outweigh the turnovers.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
10-6... There's just something about Romo that makes me think he's going to be something special. He just seems to have the "it" factor. He made a lot of big plays on Monday and his mistakes will diminish as time goes on imo. He reminds me of a young Farve, he's either going to win it or lose it for you. He's going to try and force things sometimes but the big plays usually will outweigh the turnovers.

Im racking my brain trying to think of something constructive and nice to say in disagreeing with these sorts of statements lately....

I can't do it.

in my opinion...unless some sort of strange football wizardry fixes the Offensive line, you could put any quarterback you want back there and theyre going to get killed. It's not about romo or Bledsoe....IMO

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-26-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #24
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
in my opinion...unless some sort of strange football wizardry fixes the Offensive line, you could put any quarterback you want back there and theyre going to get killed. It's not about romo or Bledsoe....IMO
i'm in this camp as well....9-7 isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I think 7-9 is more likely.

This team is and has been way over-rated and I think they're pretty soft as far as football teams go....

Antonio Pierce and Plaxico Burress both may as well have called them a bunch P-s, thus showing a tremendous amount of disrepect for the cowboys as well as a genuine lack of concern about any retaliation in the rematch later this year. That is...the Giants have played them in Dallas, they've seen what kind of punch the 'boys bring, and they're laughing at the 'boys....that major disrespect tells me something.

....there is absolutely nothing special about this team....nothing. They've got a little talent, but so does every other team in the league. They've not shown any real chemistry or will, and they very closely resemble the team that completely p-ssed out against the Redskins in Washington last year. That is, they'll lay down on ya, and I think the likelihood of them laying down and going 6-10 is far greater than rising up and going 10-6

They're starting an undrafted QB who as recently as game 16 last season couldn't get onto the field in a meaningless game...this is an indication of how desperate their bloated and over-the-hill coach is, not an indication that Romo is likely to be anything special.....

....the O-Line sucks. let's see....Jacob Rogers, Stephen Petermen, Rob Petiti, and Jason Fabini come to mind immediately as significant drafts/fa's of the bloated one's era that either aren't in the NFL or can't get any playing time on a miserable o-line....it's not so much that NJ Conman hasn't attempted to put together a decent offensive line, but rather that he's tried and failed quite miserably. Somehow this doesn't inspire confidence that they're suddenly going to start playing better this season.

...speaking of over-rated, does any other defense in the league start 5 former first rounders (6 in the nickle) and yet make fewer big plays than the cowboys? Exactly how many former first rounders does it take to stop the run on 3rd and 16 when you know the other team is probably going to run?

anyway...they're way soft and way over rated, in my humble estimation....maybe they'll go crazy, but not likely.

Cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 10-27-2006 at 04:22 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

So you have us beating Atlanta on the road, and Philly and NO at home, along with not slipping up at all against a bad team.

That is beyond rosy, that's flat out homerish.

That would be pretty incredible. Here's hoping.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-27-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
So you have us beating Atlanta on the road, and Philly and NO at home, along with not slipping up at all against a bad team.

That is beyond rosy, that's flat out homerish.

That would be pretty incredible. Here's hoping.

I was writing this exact post and then I looked up and saw that Realist Thiggy had already done a wonderful job.

Those are exactly the 3 games I was going to point out.

Did you see the Atlanta game last week? And I'm not saying that the Saints are great or anything but they are certainly a force to be respected.

And Phili....duh
Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #27
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

You can read about about Drew Bledsoe's thoughts on the situation here:

http://www.tonyhomo.com/

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #28
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
You can read about about Drew Bledsoe's thoughts on the situation here:

http://www.tonyhomo.com/

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #29
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That is genius.....
Old 10-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #30
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

We lost the games we have due to stupid turnovers at the wrong time. Philly was a VERY winnable game. Jacksonville was a VERY winnable game. NY was a winnable game coming into the 3rd, but again, stupid turnovers. Drew has obviously made the majority of terrible decisions out there, and I think Romo made most of his due to nerves and lack of experience. I think he will play much better, but will probably cost us a game himself due to being so green. With that said, I think he will win some with his playmaking abilities too.

It is just like you haven't watched the games because if you had, you would know EXACTLY WHY our offense has stalled time and time again against good teams. They BLITZ like CRAZY and Drew couldn't make them respect his arm because they KNEW his ass was sooooo slow and statuesqe that they would get a sack or pick. Well Romo is NOT that guy!!! I for one believe in the kid, at least enough to give him a couple of games to prove me wrong.

You know, we might well end up 8-8 and miss the playoffs by a couple of games, but I have to tell you, expecting Dallas to beat teams I thought we were better than when the season started is NOT homer shit. Hell, couldn't they also win 1 or more of the 3 I have them penciled in as losing??? You act like this damn team is a crappy one or something. You act like we don't have a good defense and a solid offense. We still stop the run with the best of em. We still run great. We still have weapons all over the field. The only damn thing that has changed is taking one shitty quarterback out and putting one green one in.

In fact, you are just jumping the Fing ship as soon as you can. Well get the F off! I tell you something else. When and if they DO start rolling, don't jump your monkey ass back on!!!

10 games from now, I will eat crow if the Cowboys don't finish 10-6 with a chance for the playoffs. But you better KNOW you will if they have!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

They'll finish 8-8.

They'd have gone 9-7 with Bledsoe.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #32
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
They'll finish 8-8.

They'd have gone 9-7 with Bledsoe.
Bump.

Romo is better than I thought he'd be. The defense is worse than I thought they'd be.

There's some dry rot on that team though, and it bears the whiff of popcorn.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 01-01-2007 at 12:13 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
We lost the games we have due to stupid turnovers at the wrong time. Philly was a VERY winnable game. Jacksonville was a VERY winnable game. NY was a winnable game coming into the 3rd, but again, stupid turnovers. Drew has obviously made the majority of terrible decisions out there, and I think Romo made most of his due to nerves and lack of experience. I think he will play much better, but will probably cost us a game himself due to being so green. With that said, I think he will win some with his playmaking abilities too.

It is just like you haven't watched the games because if you had, you would know EXACTLY WHY our offense has stalled time and time again against good teams. They BLITZ like CRAZY and Drew couldn't make them respect his arm because they KNEW his ass was sooooo slow and statuesqe that they would get a sack or pick. Well Romo is NOT that guy!!! I for one believe in the kid, at least enough to give him a couple of games to prove me wrong.

You know, we might well end up 8-8 and miss the playoffs by a couple of games, but I have to tell you, expecting Dallas to beat teams I thought we were better than when the season started is NOT homer shit. Hell, couldn't they also win 1 or more of the 3 I have them penciled in as losing??? You act like this damn team is a crappy one or something. You act like we don't have a good defense and a solid offense. We still stop the run with the best of em. We still run great. We still have weapons all over the field. The only damn thing that has changed is taking one shitty quarterback out and putting one green one in.

In fact, you are just jumping the Fing ship as soon as you can. Well get the F off! I tell you something else. When and if they DO start rolling, don't jump your monkey ass back on!!!

10 games from now, I will eat crow if the Cowboys don't finish 10-6 with a chance for the playoffs. But you better KNOW you will if they have!!!
My goodness.

You are nuts if you think the QB is the only reason we've lost the games we have. Our "solid" defense is not as solid as you might think. Certainly not as solid as it should be.

I won't go over the others, because if you've been watching you've seen them. But teams haven't been destroying us just by blitzing. I'd be curious to know what you thought of the second half of the NY game, with Romo in. Because it looked to me like they were still getting to the QB with ease. Were they still blitzing?

The fact is you, don't have to blitz to get to the quarterback against the Cowboys.

I also don't understand why you think Romo will suddenly gaine the experience he needs to be successful after a half of play. You are correct, Romo made mistakes against NY because of his inexperience, but that isn't going away any time soon.

BTW, I'm not sure you could definitively say that Dallas was better than Atlanta or Philadelphia coming into the season, and certainly not now.

I love how people being realistic are suddenly not fans. I'm still on the "bandwagon", I just happen to think the bandwagon is quickly running out of gas. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop being excited about games or stop watching them. If they prove me wrong, I'll be ecstatic, and gladly eat crow.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-27-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
My goodness.

You are nuts if you think the QB is the only reason we've lost the games we have. Our "solid" defense is not as solid as you might think. Certainly not as solid as it should be.

I won't go over the others, because if you've been watching you've seen them. But teams haven't been destroying us just by blitzing. I'd be curious to know what you thought of the second half of the NY game, with Romo in. Because it looked to me like they were still getting to the QB with ease. Were they still blitzing?

The fact is you, don't have to blitz to get to the quarterback against the Cowboys.

I also don't understand why you think Romo will suddenly gaine the experience he needs to be successful after a half of play. You are correct, Romo made mistakes against NY because of his inexperience, but that isn't going away any time soon.

BTW, I'm not sure you could definitively say that Dallas was better than Atlanta or Philadelphia coming into the season, and certainly not now.

I love how people being realistic are suddenly not fans. I'm still on the "bandwagon", I just happen to think the bandwagon is quickly running out of gas. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop being excited about games or stop watching them. If they prove me wrong, I'll be ecstatic, and gladly eat crow.
You are an ABSOLUTE MORON if you are going to judge Dallas' defense on the NY game alone. They have been absolutely SOLID against the run this year and pretty darn good against the pass minus a few big plays. I don't expect any less though with an inexperienced FS that plays great one game and terrible the next. Those rookie mistakes are going to cost you. Roy is to blame for a couple also. With that said, this defense has been very good. They were ranked first in the entire Fing NFL against the run coming into last week you know. Nah, that is a SHITTY defense.

Also, I didn't say that teams were destroying us at all. In fact, every game we have lost has been within reach but undone by a stupid mistake. My point was that our offense has not been able to be consistent with Drew steering the ship because when blitzed, well, you know the rest. And YES THEY DID BLITZ A TON... They did blitz in the second half with Romo in there and found out it wasn't nearly as easy to get to him too. You obviously need to re-watch the game. If that doesn't help, go to blog.theboys.com and read the game threads and see if people think they were just rushing 4. Bull shit! The difference is they slowed that down when they saw Romo step up and make plays.

Oh, and yes, I was fairly confident that Dallas was better than Philly and Atlanta. Call me a homer if you want, but I had this team at 11-5, 12-4 if everything fell in place. Again, this team has A LOT of talent on it. The damn offensive line needs to block like they were early on. Unfortunately, every since that Philly game a blueprint for stopping our O was available to the NFL. The line MUST play better, but again, Romo will help that just by being under center.

And don't get me wrong, I still think Romo will make mistakes, but I think he will have had a full week to get preached to about slowing down and breathing and just playing ball. He will have several players and coaches in his ear to tell him to chill with that flip screen BS. He will have several players and coaches working with JUST him on the routes to prevent that goalline BS with Crayton. THAT STUFF WILL MAKE HIM LOOK A LOT BETTER. Now, I think we lose Sunday, as I have predicted above, but I still think he will be impressive. If we win, ALL THE BETTER!!!

Like I said, you can jump the hell off of this bandwagon and jump on the one you think, to continue with your analogy, has a full tank if you would like! Oh, and just like you think there is a difference between being confident/optimistic and being a homer, I think there is a pretty big difference from being realistic/pessimistic and being a scared little bitch.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You are an ABSOLUTE MORON if you are going to judge Dallas' defense on the NY game alone. They have been absolutely SOLID against the run this year and pretty darn good against the pass minus a few big plays. I don't expect any less though with an inexperienced FS that plays great one game and terrible the next. Those rookie mistakes are going to cost you. Roy is to blame for a couple also. With that said, this defense has been very good. They were ranked first in the entire Fing NFL against the run coming into last week you know. Nah, that is a SHITTY defense.

Also, I didn't say that teams were destroying us at all. In fact, every game we have lost has been within reach but undone by a stupid mistake. My point was that our offense has not been able to be consistent with Drew steering the ship because when blitzed, well, you know the rest. And YES THEY DID BLITZ A TON... They did blitz in the second half with Romo in there and found out it wasn't nearly as easy to get to him too. You obviously need to re-watch the game. If that doesn't help, go to blog.theboys.com and read the game threads and see if people think they were just rushing 4. Bull shit! The difference is they slowed that down when they saw Romo step up and make plays.

Oh, and yes, I was fairly confident that Dallas was better than Philly and Atlanta. Call me a homer if you want, but I had this team at 11-5, 12-4 if everything fell in place. Again, this team has A LOT of talent on it. The damn offensive line needs to block like they were early on. Unfortunately, every since that Philly game a blueprint for stopping our O was available to the NFL. The line MUST play better, but again, Romo will help that just by being under center.

And don't get me wrong, I still think Romo will make mistakes, but I think he will have had a full week to get preached to about slowing down and breathing and just playing ball. He will have several players and coaches in his ear to tell him to chill with that flip screen BS. He will have several players and coaches working with JUST him on the routes to prevent that goalline BS with Crayton. THAT STUFF WILL MAKE HIM LOOK A LOT BETTER. Now, I think we lose Sunday, as I have predicted above, but I still think he will be impressive. If we win, ALL THE BETTER!!!

Like I said, you can jump the hell off of this bandwagon and jump on the one you think, to continue with your analogy, has a full tank if you would like! Oh, and just like you think there is a difference between being confident/optimistic and being a homer, I think there is a pretty big difference from being realistic/pessimistic and being a scared little bitch.
A "scared little bitch"....

I'm not exactley sure what I'm supposed to be scared of. I'm being a realist, nothing more.

On our defense, our run defense is not as good as the numbers indicated before the Giants, game, because we played pretty bad running teams. Washington without Portis, Tennessee before they put in the UT offense, were terrible, and Philly is so so running the ball, plus Westbrook was hurt against us. Jacksonville is a good run team, and I was happy with our performance there. I would say our run defense is above average, but best in the NFL, not even close.

On the pass defense, I'm not sure how you can say "we're solid if we take away the big play". That's kind of the point of pass defense. Getting Watkins out of there will help, but only if Coleman is able to step in.

All in all, our defense is still above average, but it's not elite, therefore it's not good enough to win games for you.

On blitzing, I never said that NY stopped blitzing in the second half. I believe it was your point that they would have to stop with Romo in there. My point is that our offensive line is bad enough that teams will still get pressure without the blitz. Philly got to us regularly without the blitz in the second half of that game.

If you thought we'd go 12-4 before the season started then I guess I can see where you're getting 10-6 now. I had them at 10-6 before the season started and am backing off that now. And I never said they weren't better than those teams, I just said they weren't clearly better, imo, which makes it hard for me to chalk those games up as wins.

In order for this team to go 10-6, I believe Romo will have to be an above average QB, starting with this Sunday, and I just don't see that happening.

But, I hope it does, every bit as much as you do, despite your accusations otherwise. One can be a hard core fan without being an over the top, in your face, "stop being a scared bitch", fan.

Oh, and I read bloggingtheboys.com and theboysblog.com religiously, no need to direct me to them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-28-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

No, thig, the bandwagon is just now picking up steam!

I'll put it this way. I'm pretty sure that if Parcells had changed quarterbacks on first-and-goal before the half, we be 4-2 right now. That game was ours for the taking.

Of course, we also remember the overthrow to Owens that would have put the Jacksonville game out of reach.

Then there was the miscommunication on the right sideline between TO and Bledsoe against Philly.

I don't want to diminish Bledsoe's contributions in those games, to make them winnable in the first place, nor do I wish to diminish his contributions in the wininng efforts. But that's the point. When the Dallas QB plays well and doesn't turn the ball over, more likely than not Dallas is winning.

That isn't going to change, no matter what QB is in there. Dallas is still going to win more than its fair share when its QB plays well. Yes, they have given up some deep balls. But even in doing so, they have been in position to win.

I'm not worried about Romo, and I CERTAINLY don't consider him green. He's a fourth-year player! Everybody likes Leinart, and Rivers, and everybody else who is young and has a pedigree. Romo has three years on those guys! Do they necessarily have anything on him? No, not necessarily.

Get ready for the Romo wagon to take off. Jump on now, because there won't be much room available on Monday.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

It's kinda like how those guards look a better defensively when they have a Mourning/Shaq or Robinson/Duncan behind them to clean up the mess. That's how the offensive line is going to "magically" improve going forward.

Parcells is unusually candid. If you will pay attention to him, you will learn something. He said straight-out this week that the sacks weren't all on the line. When a play is designed to let Strahan loose and then throw it past him (kinda like a screen, which I'm sure you are familiar with)...well, when you don't carry through with the second half of the plan, you can't fault the design. You fault the execution.

I think our line will be okay. I think they will be rejuvenized by their offense not taking sacks left, right, and center. Romo will cut down on the sacks. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Last edited by chumdawg; 10-27-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #38
capitalcity
Diamond Member

24-36 270yds 1td, 1int

Well, well, well.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #39
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

You know, I thought a lot about tonight... I thought about posting a picture of a crow on a plate like this:

I thought about posting Romo's line for the haters like this:

24-36 - 66% passing
270 yards
1 TD
1 INT

I thought about straight up bragging on my boy Romo by pointing out how EVERY SINGLE ONE of his throws were tight perfect spirals that were almost always perfectly thrown. That he was INCREDIBLY smart out there for all but one throw by getting it out very fast and tossing it over the receivers head when the play wasn't there, (I sure do think I remember saying that he would play smarter with a full week of practice).

But I won't do any of that because I am the better man...

What I will say is that Romo just won one of the 7 we needed at one of the toughest places to play in football against one of the best defenses in football, (and a team I might add that was picked as THE team to win it all this year), in his first FING start of his career. He did it with a national audience expecting him to fail, (and I might add, some dumbass bandwagon fans as well). Give him his G-D props tonight boys... Give him his props!

Oh, and one more thing, if we win at Washington and at Arizona, both very winnable games, does the 7-9 still look good to you guys???

Yeah... I didn't even think Romo could win this game and he did. Like I said, give that man his friggin props and don't doubt him again. Could he have been tested harder???

QB Controversy over. Hey Dude... Whatcha got to say now?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #40
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm here. I'm still irritated by terms like "haters" and "bandwaggon fans", but I realize Dan is being Dan, so I'll live with it.

Once again, being cautious or pessimistic does not make me any less of a fan than you, sir Dan.

But, I did post promptly and I think you will find it to your satisfaction. It's in the gameday thread.

That was one impressive win, and one impressive performance by Romo. I am cautiously optimistic .

One thing to keep in mind. a highly anticipated rookie QB made his first start against the best defense in football, and performed very well, and got everyone in a tizzy, and then promptly laid two gigantic stink bombs his next two games.

It's entirely possible this happens with Romo. I'm not saying it will, and I was VERY, VERY encouraged by tonight. But, let's just remember young QB's can be a roller coaster.

But, still, huge, huge win, bring on the Deadskins.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-30-2006 at 12:44 AM.