Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting post on the liberal media.

What's funny here is how so many democrats think the media is just right, whereas anyone but a democrat disagrees. Since I'm pretty sure that democrats are liberal, then "just right" would probalby be liberal, no? That's why we much have the fairness doctrine to make sure tthat talk radio becomes "just right" as well. I really despise Waxman.

http://engram-backtalk.blogspot.com/...sh-we-had.html

Quote:
As you can see, if you are a Democrat, news coverage feels just about right. And that's why Democrats argued for so long that the news is not biased. If you lean to the left, left-leaning news seems fair and balanced. If you are in the political middle, or if you lean to the right, the news media's liberal bias is quite evident. I imagine that a similar survey asking about Fox News in particular would show that Republicans find its coverage to be about right, whereas most Democrats would find it to be slanted in the conservative direction. But when it comes to the media as a whole, it's the other way around.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Maybe Republicans are just whiners, who knows?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea that's it. As engram starts off his post.

Quote:
The sky is blue. Here's proof:
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

maybe it is the constant claim by conservatives that the media is biased, thereby producing the foregone conclusion by conservatives that yes indeed it is biased?

iow, if the claim is continually made it becomes an accepted fact even if there is no true evidence that it is proven.

the whole issue is getting tired. I mean in another similar thread on this mb there is a mass media outlet, national review, claiming that mass media is biased against them.

sorta ironic, isn't it?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
maybe it is the constant claim by conservatives that the media is biased, thereby producing the foregone conclusion by conservatives that yes indeed it is biased?
More likely it's the facts that the vast majority of media is democrat (i.e. left) leaning as evidenced by their own dollars that they provide to candidates.

Last edited by dude1394; 10-09-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
More likely it's the facts that the vast majority of media is democrat (i.e. left) leaning as evidenced by their own dollars that they provide to candidates.
Ok. but do you think that the constant (call it positing, whining, asertions, harping, complaining... whatever) by rightleaning politicians and media figures that the media is biased leftward has an impact on how their core audiences poll?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Ok. but do you think that the constant (call it positing, whining, asertions, harping, complaining... whatever) by rightleaning politicians and media figures that the media is biased leftward has an impact on how their core audiences poll?
Possibly...But if the majority of reporters give their money to democrats, then you can be pretty sure that their opinions are the opinions of democrats. You don't give you dollars to someone who you don't believe is the right choice.

So unless you believe that they can keep their biases out of their reporting (I do not, nor can right leaning folks ) then this one item leads me to believe it's biased to the left.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Possibly...But if the majority of reporters give their money to democrats, then you can be pretty sure that their opinions are the opinions of democrats. You don't give you dollars to someone who you don't believe is the right choice.

So unless you believe that they can keep their biases out of their reporting (I do not, nor can right leaning folks ) then this one item leads me to believe it's biased to the left.
Well, there is that. There is no denying that the workers for the NY times prodominantly live in NYC (and the LA times, Washington Post, Boston Herald, etc.... all are in major cities) and the cities, mostly coastal cities lean left more than the middle/rural areas of the country. If they are just drawn from the random sample of those regions, they will lean left of center compared to the country on the whole.

BUT.... that is a far cry from the "vast liberal media conspiracy...." that many people decrying the MSM seem to border on. To the extent that that the above media liberal bias is true, it is also true for stockbrokers, banking executives, etc... who all mostly congregate in cities.

So is the whole media-liberal-bias really just a city versus non-city thing? (and coastal city, at that)
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

yeah those republicans. What biased whiners they are. And the independents. well, really, everyone is wrong but the democrats, right? At least they think that liberal presentation is "just right"
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm..... 53% of the Independents think that the media is either just right or too conservative. I wonder what that means......
Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
Hmmmm..... 53% of the Independents think that the media is either just right or too conservative. I wonder what that means......
?? That's a weird way to look at it.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Or you could see it as 71% of Independents think the media is either just right or too liberal. Kind of depends on how you are swaying the retoric.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Or you could see it as 71% of Independents think the media is either just right or too liberal. Kind of depends on how you are swaying the retoric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
?? That's a weird way to look at it.
Exactly my point. These data can be reasonably interpreted in a variety of ways, so I wouldn't read too much into the graph at all. The data certainly give no objective reason to believe the media as a whole is too liberal imo.

We tend to say that Olbermann is a moonbat, but O'Reilly is objective. Why? They both provide data on their respective shows to back up their points. Why do we believe in one, but not the other (other than the fact is probably impossible to believe in both at the same time without your head spinning around)? Why do some say they Michael Moore "gets to the bottom of the issue", while Rush Limbaugh is big fat idiot? Why? Why do we tend to believe that one source is more truthful than the other? Do we just take our opinions and then go out and find a source that supports it and then say, "see there you go, I'm right". Is there any objective truth or is it all just spin? I'm not trying to be critical of anyone, but rather I am genuinely perplexed. Is it "The MSM is too liberal" or is it more accuate to say "Fox News - fair and balanced? Give me a break". And we wonder why our country is so polarized, seems to me that we no longer have an objective source that most Americans believe is reliable and accurate. I find this very sad.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Exactly my point. These data can be reasonably interpreted in a variety of ways, so I wouldn't read too much into the graph at all.
by "weird" I certainly did not mean "reasonably interpreted." Quite the opposite. I don't see any sense in grouping Independents with either republicans or democrats. That is a very unreasonable thing to do, and the only reason someone would do that is to argue a point that they know is not supported by a more honest look at the figure. I think this is the same point dalmations was making.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

interesting summary at the end of the gallup report:

"In short, while Republicans are highly likely to perceive the media as being biased toward the left, Democrats are much less likely to perceive the media as being biased toward the right. Whether or not this reflects reality (i.e., that the media are in reality more Democratic and more liberal in their orientation) is an open question not answerable by these data"
Old 10-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

yeah mavdog, and like is stated in the original post, it could very well be that Fox news is perfectly balanced (as you might guess republicans would claim) and liberals (who would complain of bias in FoxNews) are a bunch of whiners.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Interesting video on Fox News.

Former employees speak the truth.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 10-21-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 AM   #18
Arne
Golden Member

CNN and all the other (left-wing-communist, whatever you wanna call them) channels doesn't tell their people what to report about and how to report about, FOX does as the video clearly shows.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #19
dude1394
Guru

Well I don't see a video. What does it show and is there some written data or just one guys opinion? We know that the NYTimes for example may/may not tell folks what to write but they sure have an agenda with their paper, they've acknowledged that with some of their front-page pushes. At least I believe they have acknowledged it. The Masters embrolio comes to mind.

Fox is a drop in the bucket compared to abc, cbs, nbc, etc.
When the majority of reporters are left-leaning there would be no need to "tell" them anything, they would just do it because their biases would push them that way.

Last edited by dude1394; 10-22-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
Arne
Golden Member

Thought i had already put the link in my post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3kI8LNTqNo&eurl

Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
Mavdog
Diamond Member

like this:
opensecrets.org