Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of
Default Mavs 116 Queens 95

Nothing to see here, just the Mavs taking care of business against a team they're supposed to beat. Quiet night from the starters although they were unnecessary, the bench was big this game.

Sometimes our bench looks talented, sometimes talent starved. likewise can be said about our starters. I suppose this kind of inconsistency is why we're where we're at.

Alas, let's kick some Spurs ass on Tuesday.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Good to see the bench look good. Singleton and Bass were monsters. Kings however are pathetic. They have no structure at all. I'll give the Mavs credit. I'm thankful they didn't struggle to beat a horrible Kings team. I thought the game would be close with the Mavs pulling it out. San Antonio should be a good one.

I think the most disturbing thing I saw tonight was the fact Josh is one of the best 1st quarter scorers in the league in company with his draftmates Lebron and Dwayne Wade yet he's pathetic in the 4th quarter. It did sort of make me think maybe we give this guy too much of a hard time. He's not a 4th quarter player but shouldn't he get credit for killing the competition the 1st 3 quarters?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
It did sort of make me think maybe we give this guy too much of a hard time. He's not a 4th quarter player but shouldn't he get credit for killing the competition the 1st 3 quarters?
Sure, give him 12 min worth of credit for that, but if that's all the credit he gets, he should be traded. Basketball is a game of momentum and runs, and if your presence helps the momentum shift to the other team throughout the game, and if your presence helps the other team take all the runs of the second half - you suck!

I'd like to see a list of the players with the biggest 1st/4th quarter production differentials.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Dtownsfinest;968347.

I think the most disturbing thing I saw tonight was the fact Josh is one of the best 1st quarter scorers in the league in company with his draftmates Lebron and Dwayne Wade yet he's pathetic in the 4th quarter. It did sort of make me think maybe we give this guy too much of a hard time. He's not a 4th quarter player but shouldn't he get credit for killing the competition the 1st 3 quarters?[/quote]

Josh has not been a 4th quarter player because the coaches havent asked him to be one. For 4 years, the 4th has been time for the Dirk/Terry 2 man game. It got them to the finals, and it won 67 games the next year. Then, in the playoffs, teams were able to defend it, and the Mavs had no back up plan. I blame the coaching as much as I blame Howard.

Now that Kidd is calling the plays, I see him trying to keep Howard involved in the 2nd half. And I see Josh responding. I also see Kidd calling Damp's number to get him going early. We've had 2 straight games where Dirk didn't score much at all. I say that's great. I want opponents to be worried about Bass and Josh as much as they worry about Jet and Dirk. Kidd and 4 scorers can be dangerous. 3 guys standing around watching Jet and Dirk is not good enough.

Our best hope for now is Coach Kidd. He can make Josh into a 4th quarter weapon. If teams have to defend him, the Jet-Dirk 2 man game has more space to operate. If they don't defend him, get him the damn ball and send himto the hoop. I think Josh wants to do it. I think he mopes, because no one asks him to.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Josh has not been a 4th quarter player because the coaches havent asked him to be one. For 4 years, the 4th has been time for the Dirk/Terry 2 man game. It got them to the finals, and it won 67 games the next year. Then, in the playoffs, teams were able to defend it, and the Mavs had no back up plan. I blame the coaching as much as I blame Howard.

Now that Kidd is calling the plays, I see him trying to keep Howard involved in the 2nd half. And I see Josh responding. I also see Kidd calling Damp's number to get him going early. We've had 2 straight games where Dirk didn't score much at all. I say that's great. I want opponents to be worried about Bass and Josh as much as they worry about Jet and Dirk. Kidd and 4 scorers can be dangerous. 3 guys standing around watching Jet and Dirk is not good enough.

Our best hope for now is Coach Kidd. He can make Josh into a 4th quarter weapon. If teams have to defend him, the Jet-Dirk 2 man game has more space to operate. If they don't defend him, get him the damn ball and send himto the hoop. I think Josh wants to do it. I think he mopes, because no one asks him to.
During the chalk talk I asked Donnie Nelson this very question. First he sort of said..."who would you rather have shooting, dirk or jet"? When I pressed him that we desperately needed another scorer in the fourth and if he expects josh to be our slashing/get fta's guy...then he just wasn't cutting it.

Then Donnie said that Josh was basically unpredictable especially in the fourth. That we might call a post-up play for him..but he'll instead shoot a step-back 18footer. So basically he can't be trusted to do what he's supposed to do...it messes up the rest of the offense because no one knows what he'll do.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Then Donnie said that Josh was basically unpredictable especially in the fourth. That we might call a post-up play for him..but he'll instead shoot a step-back 18footer. So basically he can't be trusted to do what he's supposed to do...it messes up the rest of the offense because no one knows what he'll do.
That pretty much describes our beloved Josh.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Kidd had a great floor game, and if Wright can keep producing like he has been on both ends of the floor, we're going to be dangerous. Bass has put together a few nice games and JJ's more than formidable as our backup PG.

Dirk got some well-needed rest tonight. Hopefully he can get his way out of his mini-slump for the big one on Tuesday.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs moved into 6th place tonight. The SA becomes pretty huge. Chance to keep that spot or move up if Houston or Portland slip up.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Nice win for the Mavs. What made it nice was the play of the bench. Bass and Singleton really played well. Bass has been shooting well these last few games. Singleton had an awesome game. I love his hustle plays. His dunks from Kidd were spectacular. I hope they continue to play well.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Tuesday should be pretty interesting. Both teams had cakewalk games tonight and both of them didn't really have to force the issue with their starters and they're both off until the game.

Let's see how Bass and JJ react against the Spurs, you definitely have them rolling right now.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Easy win as expected. I have confidence that we can beat a Manu-less Spurs team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Manu is the most difficult Spurs player for the Mavs to guard, IMO. I expect a close win on Tuesday.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-22-2009 at 01:08 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

To any of you who watched the post game show, is it true that Kidd basically gave props to Bass and Singleton and insinuated that Barea is a ballhog? That JJB needs to pass more? I'm just wondering because I read somewhere that Kidd, in his own subtle way, somehow called out Barea?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #14
monty55555
Platinum Member

Dunk of the Night: (Kidd to Singleton)

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...nba/index.html

Steal of the Night: (Wright steals then Kidd to Singleton for the Dunk!)

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...nba/index.html
Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #15
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Manu is the most difficult Spurs player for the Mavs to guard, IMO. I expect a close win on Tuesday.
Well good thing hes out for 3 weeks then.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
Well good thing hes out for 3 weeks then.
Now that I think about it, him being out 3 weeks actually means he'll miss two games against the Mavs, huh? Nice.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-22-2009 at 02:50 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Wright is definitely going to be scraped up a bit from tonight, I've never seen him go diving down on the floor as many times as he did tonight...very nice hustle right there.

He's really rounding into a good all-around player, he's had some peaks and valleys but the defense has always been his consistent factor.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Wright is definitely going to be scraped up a bit from tonight, I've never seen him go diving down on the floor as many times as he did tonight...very nice hustle right there.

He's really rounding into a good all-around player, he's had some peaks and valleys but the defense has always been his consistent factor.
He was +31 tonight. Best on the team, and by a per-minute metric nearly equaled Kidd's team-best of +1/min. And Antoine didn't even have the jumper going tonight. He's really coming into his own as a valuable member of the team. If you're looking for something to be encouraged about, he's it.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 AM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
He was +31 tonight. Best on the team, and by a per-minute metric nearly equaled Kidd's team-best of +1/min. And Antoine didn't even have the jumper going tonight. He's really coming into his own as a valuable member of the team. If you're looking for something to be encouraged about, he's it.
I've always said my ideal SG for this team is a guy who can do at least 2 of 3 things pretty well:
-Attack the rim
-Play good defense
-Shoot the lights out

I'm not sure if he'll ever get that last one but he is well on his way to becoming a respectable shooter. If he can nail down that corner three, he'll be extremely dangerous.

That's why I was a little hesitant on DLord's If All Else Fails deal because I DO really like Wright. I remember him really being a solid contributor when we went on our solid win streak near the end of last season. I saw the potential that was there with him. He's doing the same things now as he did during that stretch but there is more confidence to his game and the players trust him. He openly takes on the challenge of defense and he knows he can bring a lot by attacking the basket.

Let's just hope it's only the beginning for him!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #20
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Kidd getting 11/11 in 25 minutes is incredible.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #21
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
Kidd getting 11/11 in 25 minutes is incredible.
A couple of em were off the dribble jump shots
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #22
Louis

Louis is on a distinguished road

it doesn't deserved us to brag about, our opponents were queens who are lying on the foundation of the western conference.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #23
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

I didn't get to watch the game (because of martigras!) but i thought green was gonna start getting some minutes. Soooooo i just looked at the boxscore and he didnt even play.....
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't get to watch the game (because of martigras!) but i thought green was gonna start getting some minutes. Soooooo i just looked at the boxscore and he didnt even play.....
Green was inactive, so he couldn't play, even when it became a blowout.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Green was inactive, so he couldn't play, even when it became a blowout.
Oh right, Stack was activated. Stack is done so i don't see the point of even playing him. I don't see him contributing a whole lot in the remaining games. If anything i think he'll have a negative effect on the team.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's time to accept that Green is not going to play anymore.

Stack being activated was the dagger in the heart for Green.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #27
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably quote this enough, but I'll quote it once more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/02/gerald-greens-claims-to-fame.html
Green, by the way, remains hopeful that he can still have an impact on the Mavericks this season. He recently worked out with coach Rick Carlisle and came away with some cautious optimism.

"He said to be ready, that he's going to call my number again,'' Green said. "I'm just waiting on that opportunity. I still have confidence in myself that I can do this. I'm not going to let any situation take my confidence away.''
It sounds like Green's going to get one more chance, sometime before the end of the season.

Last edited by tcat075; 02-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #28
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Wrights decent
Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #29
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

beautiful win!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #30
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

win,
but does this one satisfy anyone? not me thats fo sho..
Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #31
tcat075
Diamond Member

This win doesn't mean much. Well, it means that Sacramento's starters are about as good as our backups. Everybody pretty much knew that already.

It is encouraging to see our bench play great once again, however. I remember for a month or so in December, they were scoring almost 40 a game, I believe. Since then, they've cooled off. Of course, losing Jet was the big reason, but it was still nice to see Bass, JJ and Singleton all put a nice sum of points in.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #32
ghazi
Platinum Member

Stackhouse's PER is mf'n 4 this year. FOUR. FOUR
Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #33
sphincs

sphincs will become famous soon enough

easy win..and tonight, perhaps, Bobcats and Celtics can beat Rockets and Suns...

Last edited by sphincs; 02-22-2009 at 11:19 AM.
sphincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand this mantra of forcing first half minutes on Stack to get him into the swing of things. In November we were told Carlisle let Stack know that he was no longer a regular rotation player, and that was what led Stack to rest and fix his injury.

So now that he's back, we think so much of him that we're acting as if he's a no brainer member of the rotation, to the point that we force feed him minutes during games that aren't decided?

I don't get it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #35
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't understand this mantra of forcing first half minutes on Stack to get him into the swing of things. In November we were told Carlisle let Stack know that he was no longer a regular rotation player, and that was what led Stack to rest and fix his injury.

So now that he's back, we think so much of him that we're acting as if he's a no brainer member of the rotation, to the point that we force feed him minutes during games that aren't decided?

I don't get it.
Well, with Jet out, its pretty obvious we're lacking depth. I think the hope is that he will only take 4-5 games to get back into things and become a 15 minute a night type of guy who will be able to contribute.

In November, Jet wasn't injured. Now he is.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #36
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:

I don't get it.
I think they're forced by two reasons: Jet's injury, they want to see what Stack can do.

They know what George, Carroll and Green can bring so they want to see what Stack can do. They're probably figuring now is the best time to figure that out. They'll see what they can do and then readjust everything once Jet comes back and they'll set the playoff rotation for sure and figure the secondary/emergency group. The end of games is probably the better time to do that...but it may not be a true barometer or the situations might not be there as often.

I think Stack is close to being done but he's not done yet...he can still bring us some positives, I just think a major part of the battle for him is upstairs. He is coming off an injury and a long period of not playing. Before that, even going to last year, he was struggling. He just needs to build up some confidence and not be hesitant. I'm not saying that'll fix him, but it'll help.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't get it.
If Stack really was dealing with an injury that he's basically over now, don't you think his pedigree is enough for him to get some minutes to see if he can get it going? I do, and I think he's been used pretty intelligently, as well. First half, spanning the first and second quarters when the 2nd units are on the floor and he's not going to have to guard a legit wing scorer on the other team. I won't argue he's playing well, because he isn't, but I don't mind him at least getting the chance.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Stack really was dealing with an injury that he's basically over now, don't you think his pedigree is enough for him to get some minutes to see if he can get it going? I do, and I think he's been used pretty intelligently, as well. First half, spanning the first and second quarters when the 2nd units are on the floor and he's not going to have to guard a legit wing scorer on the other team. I won't argue he's playing well, because he isn't, but I don't mind him at least getting the chance.
We heard plenty during training camp about Stack being in better shape and him having abs, yadda, yadda. At what point do you say that the guy is done? He was averaging about a field goal a game plus plenty of misses when the season began.

You won't argue he is playing well so....why play him? Exactly what is anyone looking for him to contribute at this point? He can't shoot, can't defend, and the knees are gone.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #39
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
We heard plenty during training camp about Stack being in better shape and him having abs, yadda, yadda. At what point do you say that the guy is done? He was averaging about a field goal a game plus plenty of misses when the season began.

You won't argue he is playing well so....why play him? Exactly what is anyone looking for him to contribute at this point? He can't shoot, can't defend, and the knees are gone.
You can be in outstanding shape and still have a foot injury that will prevent you from playing basketball at a high level. And you can get in not outstanding shape pretty quickly if you're restricting your activity level to try to get over a foot injury.

As for when you say he's done? You say he's done if he can't start showing signs of improvement fairly soon, now that he's ostensibly healthy again.

And you play him to see if you can get him playing well. What I am looking for him to contribute is whatever he can. If it's not enough to justify playing him ahead of DG and Carroll, then you end the experiment and give them his minutes.

I feel like this is all just common sense - at least if you believe that the foot injury was real. And it's not like his PT thus far has cost the Mavs any games.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #40
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
You can be in outstanding shape and still have a foot injury that will prevent you from playing basketball at a high level. And you can get in not outstanding shape pretty quickly if you're restricting your activity level to try to get over a foot injury.

As for when you say he's done? You say he's done if he can't start showing signs of improvement fairly soon, now that he's ostensibly healthy again.

And you play him to see if you can get him playing well. What I am looking for him to contribute is whatever he can. If it's not enough to justify playing him ahead of DG and Carroll, then you end the experiment and give them his minutes.

I feel like this is all just common sense - at least if you believe that the foot injury was real. And it's not like his PT thus far has cost the Mavs any games.
just to add on to that:
"I don't want people to have ridiculous expectations about him coming back and being our savior because this has been three months," coach Rick Carlisle said. "This is going to take some time."

People were also clamoring for some toughness/fight to come to this team, doesn't Stack bring that as well?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-22-2009 at 02:58 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote