Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: game 15 (14?) - Mavs (6-7) at Pacers (8-5) 6:00pm FSSW/LP

Mavs on a 3 game losing streak without 1/3 of their roster. Pacers are a good team but also maybe missing players.

Mavs should lose and be one game closer to actually having a roster.

injury report
MAVS
THJ - probable
Kleber - out
Richardson - out
DFS - out
Powell - out

PACERS
Levert - out
Warren - out
Turner - questionable
Lamb - questionable
Sampson - questionable

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-19-2021 at 07:50 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:42 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

In the game thread vs Toronto I mentioned the Raptors looked like they were playing a 1-3-1 zone vs the Mavs in order to stop Luka. Turns out they were actually playing a Box and 1.

This is a really good read as to how some coaches might elect to defend the Mavs moving forward because of Luka.

Every time I drove the ball I saw four people in the paint. That’s why I shot only eleven shots. They played box-and-one, they kept doubling me. - Luka Dončić

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1...f-doncic-hands

On Monday, Luka Dončić got the superstar treatment from one of the best coaches in the league, Nick Nurse. Nurse used a box-and-one defense to deny Dončić the ball. This is the same tactic Nurse used to stop Steph Curry in the 2019 NBA Finals. Toronto used box-and-one in the Orlando bubble to defend another elite scorer in Jason Tatum.

We all want to see Luka Dončić and the Dallas Mavericks in the Finals someday, so these kind of painful lessons can be valuable. This type of defensive plan is reserved for the best players and Dončić is already among them. The bigger the threat Dončić and the Mavericks become, the more of these tactics we’ll see in the future.

There is a high chance that will happen as soon as Tuesday when Mavericks face Indiana Pacers. Pacers coach Nate Bjorkgren is Nick Nurse’s former assistant and disciple.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-19-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
In the game thread vs Toronto I mentioned the Raptors looked like they were playing a 1-3-1 zone vs the Mavs in order to stop Luka. Turns out they were actually playing a Box and 1.

This is a really good read as to how some coaches might elect to defend the Mavs moving forward because of Luka.

Every time I drove the ball I saw four people in the paint. That’s why I shot only eleven shots. They played box-and-one, they kept doubling me. - Luka Dončić

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1...f-doncic-hands

On Monday, Luka Dončić got the superstar treatment from one of the best coaches in the league, Nick Nurse. Nurse used a box-and-one defense to deny Dončić the ball. This is the same tactic Nurse used to stop Steph Curry in the 2019 NBA Finals. Toronto used box-and-one in the Orlando bubble to defend another elite scorer in Jason Tatum.

We all want to see Luka Dončić and the Dallas Mavericks in the Finals someday, so these kind of painful lessons can be valuable. This type of defensive plan is reserved for the best players and Dončić is already among them. The bigger the threat Dončić and the Mavericks become, the more of these tactics we’ll see in the future.

There is a high chance that will happen as soon as Tuesday when Mavericks face Indiana Pacers. Pacers coach Nate Bjorkgren is Nick Nurse’s former assistant and disciple.
This is not new to Luka or the Mavs. Box and 1 has been used against us many times, along with other variations. It sucks that Rick was ejected so early because I wasn't impressed with Moseley coaching. In the end it doesn't matter when we are missing key players AND no one was hitting open shots. The ball was not moving crisply and the team aside from Luka was late or hesitant on passes. You have to snap those secondary passes over to the open man in order to take advantage of the broken double team where the defender is scrambling back. A soft or lobbed pass is never going to work, it gives too much time to recover. Having veterans in those situations help but we don't have many of those.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
This is not new to Luka or the Mavs. Box and 1 has been used against us many times, along with other variations. It sucks that Rick was ejected so early because I wasn't impressed with Moseley coaching. In the end it doesn't matter when we are missing key players AND no one was hitting open shots. The ball was not moving crisply and the team aside from Luka was late or hesitant on passes. You have to snap those secondary passes over to the open man in order to take advantage of the broken double team where the defender is scrambling back. A soft or lobbed pass is never going to work, it gives too much time to recover. Having veterans in those situations help but we don't have many of those.
You bring up valid points.

But I just have a question when you say veteran players what does that exactly mean in today's NBA?

I'm asking because often I see fans stating that the mavs are young and inexperienced.

Then when you look at the roster I don't see a bunch of 19 or 21 year olds on the roster.

I see guys who have been around in this league 4 years or more like THJ, James Johnson, KP, DFS, Burke, Boban, Kleber, Powell and Richardson.

Maybe back in the 90's NBA you could consider that a young team but in today's NBA your veteran players aren't in their 30's anymore.

Take Denver for example which made it to the WCF last year are they really that much older than the Mavs in terms of their key or core group of players?

I mean even in the case of Luka you could make an argument that he's seen and done it all prior to even coming to the NBA.

I'd argue that Luka is beyond his years much like Lebron in terms of high IQ for their age when then they entered the league.

I guess to me a veteran or experienced player is no longer the 30 year old but rather the 24, 25, 26 and 27 year olds now

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-20-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You bring up valid points.

But I just have a question when you say veteran players what does that exactly mean in today's NBA?

I'm asking because often I see fans stating that the mavs are young and inexperienced.

Then when you look at the roster I don't see a bunch of 19 or 21 year olds on the roster.

I see guys who have been around in this league 4 years or more like THJ, James Johnson, KP, DFS, Burke, Boban, Kleber, Powell and Richardson.

Maybe back in the 90's NBA you could consider that a young team but in today's NBA your veteran players aren't in their 30's anymore.

Take Denver for example which made it to the WCF last year are they really that much older than the Mavs in terms of their key or core group of players?

I mean even in the case of Luka you could make an argument that he's seen and done it all prior to even coming to the NBA.

I'd argue that Luka is beyond his years much like Lebron in terms of high IQ for their age when then they entered the league.

I guess to me a veteran or experienced player is no longer the 30 year old but rather the 24, 25, 26 and 27 year olds now
So imo a veteran doesn't necessarily mean age, its more the guys who have been yelled at by coaches about how to snap those secondary passes to open guys, how to defend in different schemes as a team, how to know your role and spacing etc.

I agree that Luka is way ahead of his age. I'm not worried about his IQ aside from shot selection at times. I think he is an outlier. Dfs, kleber Green, iwundu, Brunson all are not who I would consider vets yet. Thj is just not a good defemser in very many situations or individually so while he may have 3 teams and some tenure, I don't think he will get much better defensively.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Good article. I noticed the same thing. Too bad the Mavs are allergic to playing zone. They can be very useful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

When do we get our guys back? Seems like they have been out forever. I saw JRich is back in Dallas, so at least they aren’t stuck in a hotel anymore. When do they get cleared to play?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

You don't defeat a zone if you don't have the players to beat it.

You beat it by getting stops and running it up before its set. (Down our three best defenders and rebounders)

You beat it by shooting threes (we're down some of our best offensive players too).

It was a good call to do zone on us, but it's not a coaching failure if we simply didn't have the personnel to counter it.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well Willie, it was nice while it lasted lol...

https://twitter.com/FantasyLabsNBA/s...38063690678273

And this echoes exactly what I said in the other thread. Mavs need a 4 to start next to KP.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-20-2021 at 06:57 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well Willie, it was nice while it lasted lol...

https://twitter.com/FantasyLabsNBA/s...38063690678273

And this echoes exactly what I said in the other thread. Mavs need a 4 to start next to KP.
I just view this as them just needing someone in the starting lineup who can defend on the perimeter.

I even read an article where they talked about KP struggling to switch and close out on his man.

Look at that lineup they had no other perimeter defenders

I wouldn't read too much into that

Besides I'm pretty sure Kleber will start next to KP when they have all their guys.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-20-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Green is our PF now?

Love that he's getting time but dang. Dude plays like a 2/3
Old 01-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #12
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes at the lineup.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #13
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Yikes at the lineup.
They really don't have a choice with Kleber, Richardson and DFS all out.

Think about it THJ and Brunson can't defend on the perimeter and you can't ask WCS or KP to switch off on the other teams best wing scorer and the Pacers only play one big right now.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-20-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Green is our PF now?

Love that he's getting time but dang. Dude plays like a 2/3
He was put in their to defend Brogdon

None of of our big's can chase him plus Turner is out their natural 4/5 next to Sabonis.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #15
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Ha-ha they trying to trap Luka and he's killing them with laser passes
Old 01-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #16
Dallas41
Diamond Member

KP is really moving well without the ball
Old 01-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #17
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Bubble Burke is in effect
Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #18
Dallas41
Diamond Member

KP is doing great on offense but defensively he's really slow to rotate out to the shooters
Old 01-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #19
Melonhead
Guru

Slow it down let Boban tower over for a few minutes
Old 01-20-2021, 07:44 PM   #20
Melonhead
Guru

Brunson not worried about a stinkin assist. Let em score
Old 01-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #21
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Brunson not worried about a stinkin assist. Let em score
Cant tell if he suffers from tunnel vision or if hes trying to get paid. Both hurt the team, imo.

On the other hand...he is one of only about 4 guys that can dribble on this entire team.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #22
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Cant tell if he suffers from tunnel vision or if hes trying to get paid. Both hurt the team, imo.

On the other hand...he is one of only about 4 guys that can dribble on this entire team.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s part of the game plan with Rick since we don’t have many creators. His percentages are pretty good for a bench players.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #23
Melonhead
Guru

Near our Covid boys back
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #24
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Brunson and THJ are terrible finishers and neither of them can run a offense without tunell vision (put head down and just drive out of control)

It just looks bad when they are on the floor together without Luka
Old 01-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Green had like the third highest vertical in the combine and yet he seems like he needs a double pump layup every time. Why not just dunk it, bad boy?
Old 01-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #26
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Green had like the third highest vertical in the combine and yet he seems like he needs a double pump layup every time. Why not just dunk it, bad boy?
I'm waiting for them to start using that designed play they had for Roddy B back in the day.

Back door lob out of all time outs LOL
Old 01-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #27
Dallas41
Diamond Member

wow josh green might be our best cutter
Old 01-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #28
Melonhead
Guru

OKAY JOSH GREEN
Old 01-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #29
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OKAY JOSH GREEN
Josh Nowitzki!
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #30
Dallas41
Diamond Member

wow are you guys seeing this

I think Josh Green might have just worked himself into a rotation player
Old 01-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Green baby. Yeah.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #32
Melonhead
Guru

No tech wow
Old 01-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #33
Melonhead
Guru

Luka you DO know there are defenders in front of you?
Old 01-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #34
Melonhead
Guru

What a shitty last few minutes.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #35
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

LMAO Luka taken to the ground no call.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #36
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
LMAO Luka taken to the ground no call.
Luka was staring at TJ on his hip while dribbling right into two defenders and fell. He wasn’t paying attention
Old 01-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Luka was staring at TJ on his hip while dribbling right into two defenders and fell. He wasn’t paying attention
Yes, Luka shouldn't have dribbled into defenders, but a foul is a foul.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #38
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Yes, Luka shouldn't have dribbled into defenders, but a foul is a foul.
They were standing there waiting. No foul
Old 01-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #39
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Man I get so sick of that midget ball crap

Your just asking for trouble when you got THJ, Brunson and Burke trying to help you rebound.

No way in hell KP can control the glass with that little help around him.

10 point lead gone just like that

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-20-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Man I get so sick of that midget ball crap

Your just asking for trouble when you got THJ, Brunson and Burke trying to help you rebound.

No way in hell KP can control the glass with that little help around him.

10 point lead gone just like that
I agree. Rick can't help himself, but we're also short handed so I'll forgive it for now.