Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2002, 11:07 PM   #1
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

Sixers Rescind Qualifying Offer to Harpring

On Wednesday afternoon, Philadelphia 76ers General Manager Billy King announced that the Sixers have rescinded their qualifying offer to restricted free agent forward Matt Harpring. Under the rules of the collective bargaining agreement, Harpring now becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Also, ESPN radio announced the signing of Greg Buckner.

BLG
Old 07-24-2002, 11:09 PM   #2
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

I have to say I am sorry to see Buck leave. Just watch him stay healthy for the next 4 yrs.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it upsets me that we couldn't get compensation for Buckner.

But maybe we will another way.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

it's kinda a good sign that Cube let him leave, that's a lot of money. It shows although he has it Cube won't spend it on every player that comes through big D, he's saving some for other people, ( future FA's).
the team is great,but not championship qaulity yet, no sense in keeping every role player here
Old 07-24-2002, 11:23 PM   #5
miles berg

miles berg is on a distinguished road

Refresh my memory because with the changeover in our roster over the last five seasons (since the Bradley trade) how did we get Buckner? Did we draft him?

I am too lazy to look it up right now, I am thinking Rashard Lewis right now.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:24 PM   #6
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

WE DRAFTED HIM near the end of the second round.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

yeah we drafted him in 98 and cut him a couple of times before he stuck
Old 07-25-2002, 12:42 AM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< it's kinda a good sign that Cube let him leave, that's a lot of money. It shows although he has it Cube won't spend it on every player that comes through big D, he's saving some for other people, ( future FA's).
the team is great,but not championship qaulity yet, no sense in keeping every role player here
>>

What do u mean there is no sense in keeping every role player here? You dont just go out and sign different role players every season till u get a championship it jsut dosent work that way. Well anyway im sad to see Buck go myself being that he played out of his size he played liek he was a Big Man in a shooting guards body. He was one of our toughest players and I feel it will be hard to replace him. I dont think TAW can do it but Griff can replace alot of things Buck brought but not the toughness. Najera cant do it either. Every playoff contender has that one guy who comes in and makes good defense plays off the bench ( LA Robert Horry or Devean George, Sac Kings Christie, Spurs Bruce Bowen Trail Blazers Ruben Patterson) I have no doubt in my mind Griffen can take that role for the Mavs but will he and TAW be healthy enough to do so is yet to be seen.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:25 AM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

what i mean is we didn't win the title, or even make it to the western conference championship, so obviously we're still a step away. We can't just resign every player, especially when their salary jumps like that. If we resign buck, najera and wang it kinda ties or hands to pick up what we need.
And as you say he is under sized, I think Griff we do most of what Buck did, maybe just a little less on the boards. Him leaving allows Griff more pt, and Griff will play more sg and it allows the Mavs to pick up a decent sized SF(Lewis, Harpring, Russell)and maybe a PF.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:06 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< what i mean is we didn't win the title, or even make it to the western conference championship, so obviously we're still a step away. We can't just resign every player, especially when their salary jumps like that. If we resign buck, najera and wang it kinda ties or hands to pick up what we need.
And as you say he is under sized, I think Griff we do most of what Buck did, maybe just a little less on the boards. Him leaving allows Griff more pt, and Griff will play more sg and it allows the Mavs to pick up a decent sized SF(Lewis, Harpring, Russell)and maybe a PF.
>>

Assuming he's healthy, I think griff gives us much more of what we need. I think his defense while not as &quot;gritty&quot; is very effective, very quick hands and feet. He may not play with the PF mentality, but his offense is much better, steals, assists better and his rebounding is essentially the same. Assuming he's healthy.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:41 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Some caller from Philly on talk radio yesterday said that a three way S&amp;T deal between Dallas-Philly-Chicago fell through when Krauss talked Philly into allowing Harpring to become an unrestricted FA (did some cash change hands under a table?). Buckner, Harpring and someone else would have been involved (Marcus Fizer maybe) but the guy didn't elaborate. Sounded like speculation to me but the more I think about it.....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:51 AM   #12
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I would have liked to get Fizer. Who knows what this guy might be able to do after a few more years in the league. To bad it fell through.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 02:32 PM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Odd note from Philly paper:

<< asner reports that the Mavs were seeking a taker for Tariq Abdul-Wahad’s $33 million contract. The Sixers were willing to trade Matt Harpring, but Wahad’s contract would mean more Salary would have to be included from Philadelphia. >>

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote