Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nellie fines Davis, Jackson

Warriors’ Nelson Fines Davis, Jackson
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
Posted Apr 26 2007 7:45PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook

OAKLAND, Calif., April 26 (AP)-- Though the Bay Area is abuzz with excitement for the Golden State Warriors' first home playoff game in 13 years, the Warriors are getting a few remedial lessons in keeping their cool.

Warriors coach Don Nelson said Thursday he will fine Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson for being ejected from Golden State's 112-99 loss in Game 2 of the club's first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks.

Davis and Jackson put on a taunting, preening display that dampened an otherwise successful trip for the eighth-seeded Warriors, who stole Game 1 from the heavily favored Mavs and headed back to the West Coast with homecourt advantage in the series, starting with Game 3 on Friday night.

"It doesn't make any sense to me, as hard as we worked to get to the playoffs, to all of a sudden get there and not be able to play because of ejections and not controlling our emotions,'' Nelson said before a brief workout at the Warriors' downtown training complex.

"I want to play with passion. I want to play with emotions, (but) have respect for authority out there. The referees are the authority, and just like when I make a decision, I expect the respect to be there for me. ... Things don't always go your way, and you've got to control your emotions.''

The NBA hasn't announced any potential discipline against Davis, who apparently was thrown out for sarcastically applauding the officials late in the third quarter, or Jackson, who left the court in a contentious, roundabout manner after getting his second technical foul in the final minutes.

But on what should have been a celebratory day before hoops-crazy Oakland's first taste of the postseason since 1994, Davis and Jackson spent the day avoiding direct comment on a dressing-down from their veteran coach. Nelson didn't announce the amount of his fines, only saying, "it will be substantial.''

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/warriors_nelson_070426.html

Last edited by dirno2000; 04-26-2007 at 06:53 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
you

you is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the roughyou is a jewel in the rough

Will the NBA step to the plate and do what it's rule book says?

If anyone deserves to be suspended for failure to leave the court in a timely manner, it's Jackson who was one of the main perpetrators of the Pistons/Pacers brawl.

I cringed when I saw him slapping at Dallas fans on the sideline. That guy has some problems.
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

That would not be fair seeing how Shaq was not suspended or fined after everything he said after game 1. So I say let em play.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-26-2007 at 07:58 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavericks need to drive the ball inside all day. Early and often. If those guys get put in foul trouble consistently they're going to start getting upset about the calls again.

Get inside the zone. Get fouled. Watch 'em crumble.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Mavfreak

Mavfreak will become famous soon enoughMavfreak will become famous soon enough

I thought the ejection was overkill. Davis was being a jerk, but is clapping, or sarcasm a cause for ejection? Not in my book. He would have fouled out anyway in a few minutes. I really like to watch the teams play at full strength. Beating the Warriors, under those circumstances, was not as much fun as it could have been. Game three will be a battle and should be a good indicator of the Mavs readiness and their chances for glory. Sir Charles thinks the next 3 games will go our way. I hope he is correct.
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
I thought the ejection was overkill. Davis was being a jerk, but is clapping, or sarcasm a cause for ejection? Not in my book. He would have fouled out anyway in a few minutes. I really like to watch the teams play at full strength. Beating the Warriors, under those circumstances, was not as much fun as it could have been. Game three will be a battle and should be a good indicator of the Mavs readiness and their chances for glory. Sir Charles thinks the next 3 games will go our way. I hope he is correct.
Here's a golden state fans take. I think your glasses are way too homer to make a lucid comment.
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04...ors-game-2-q3/

Quote:
00:28. Baron Davis fouls Jerry Stackhouse and sends him to the line, and man ... he's getting awfully lippy with the officials for a guy who already has one tech.

00:06. The Warriors clear out for Jason Richardson, to take the last shot of the quarter. Stackhouse is defending, and Richardson somehow manages to break his own ankles on the play. He ends up falling face-first down onto the basketball. Not highlight-reel material.

00:00:02. Oh, dear ... Baron Davis picks up another foul, his fifth, and then goes into the same clapping routine that Jack went into a few minutes ago. But Davis is more aggressive with it, getting into a ref's face, sticking his upper teeth out (I don't know why) and clapping hard. And yeah, there it is ... Bennett Salvatore, an official who was on the other side of the floor, just T'd him up and tossed him.

00:00:02. I'm not saying it's deserved or not deserved; and it's true that Baron Davis was just clapping. But he knew damn well that he was pushing that line. There's clapping, and then there's taunting an official ... Baron Davis knows what he was doing there, and he shouldn't have been doing it.

00:00:02. I'm going to chalk that up to Baron Davis's inexperience with being a douche. You know, a guy like Rasheed Wallace, for example, knows that his behavior has to change when he has one tech. Baron Davis doesn't have that same level of experience with techs. He's leaning as he goes here.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think clapping wasn't the issue but the way he was clapping with those goofy buck teeth hanging out was the reason. Having those buck teeth and showing them is an automatic ejection.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

The reason for the ejection was him cussing out the refs, the clapping was pushing it too far.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm going to chalk that up to Baron Davis's inexperience with being a douche. You know, a guy like Rasheed Wallace, for example, knows that his behavior has to change when he has one tech.
That was hilarious! Baron needs to become a more experienced jerk.

Last edited by Stranger; 04-26-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping that the felon jackson gets a suspension so the gs whiney's can cry some more. I see no reason to allow an idiot like that to really stay in the league quite frankly.

Nellie at least had enough class to fine 'em. But typical nellie, he's just lobbying the league to try and keep 'em from fineing them as much or suspending the felon jackson, as he should be.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #11
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
I think clapping wasn't the issue but the way he was clapping with those goofy buck teeth hanging out was the reason. Having those buck teeth and showing them is an automatic ejection.
100% agreed. Those were some goofy as teeth. Reminded me of an 8 year old.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas
100% agreed. Those were some goofy as teeth. Reminded me of an 8 year old.
Man law.

No goofy "ass" buck teeth while BLATANTLY MOCKING officials.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:23 AM   #13
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The Mavericks need to drive the ball inside all day. Early and often. If those guys get put in foul trouble consistently they're going to start getting upset about the calls again.

Get inside the zone. Get fouled. Watch 'em crumble.
Totally. This is one of those factors of a 7-game series Warriors fans are oblivious to. They think every game is a new regular season game. It isn't. When you see a team every night you start to learn who they are and how to get them out of their comfort zone.

Sadly for the Warriors, you accomplish this simply by competing against them. They don't like it and think it's unfair when the other team slaps their lay-ups away time and time again. This team hates adversity. They've learned now that they are powerless to stop the Mavs when they are having a typical night.

The Warriors and their fans got caught believing that the Mavs strung together some poor performances against them on account of their play. That second half was a serious "come to Jesus" and, not to knee-jerk, I don't think they'll recover. Their antics are going to carry over the first time they get into trouble tomorrow night.

Last edited by come_on_now; 04-27-2007 at 01:23 AM.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #14
duboh7

duboh7 has a spectacular aura aboutduboh7 has a spectacular aura about

@come_on "......They think every game is a new regular season game. It isn't. When you see a team every night you start to learn who they are and how to get them out of their comfort zone...."

You are absolutely correct. I think it began about the middle of the 2nd Q, as the Mavs began to understand the game tactics (both off & def) necessary to counter the GS style of play. As an example, I also recall that this was about the time Diop planted a hard foul on BD (I think it was alex who pointed this out), which discouraged their drives.

There will be up & down Q's, but the longer this goes, the better the Mavs will understand the GS style, and will effectively counter it.
duboh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
warrior.heart

warrior.heart is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Will the NBA step to the plate and do what it's rule book says?

If anyone deserves to be suspended for failure to leave the court in a timely manner, it's Jackson who was one of the main perpetrators of the Pistons/Pacers brawl.

I cringed when I saw him slapping at Dallas fans on the sideline. That guy has some problems.
Dude, stop hiding behind the rule book... just admit your fear, if Jackson plays, he's gonna rip the mavs a new one.
warrior.heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior.heart
Dude, stop hiding behind the rule book... just admit your fear, if Jackson plays, he's gonna rip the mavs a new one.
He's been playing a little over his head to this point so it's more likely that he comes back down to earth.

I don't think he'll be suspened (and I don't think he should). If they were going to do something that drastic they would have announced it yesterday to give Nellie time to adjust.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #17
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

So who really thinks Nellie is actually going to fine his players behind closed doors? I see the amounts are not being disclosed yet. All he is trying to do is send a signal to the league that Golden State can police their own hoping they will take mercy on Jackson and not suspend him.

Its yet again, a sandbagging charade from Nelson.

Last edited by MascisMan; 04-27-2007 at 01:19 PM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan
...All he is trying to do is send a signal to the league that Golden State can police their own hoping they will take mercy on Jackson and not suspend him.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dude, stop hiding behind the rule book... just admit your fear, if Jackson plays, he's gonna wave his loaded gun at the mavs.
Fixed Your Post.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

league punishment handed down:

NEW YORK, April 27, 2007 – Golden State’s Stephen Jackson has been fined $50,000 for his conduct following an ejection, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President Basketball Operations.
The incident occurred after Jackson was ejected with 4:34 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Warriors’ 112-99 loss to Dallas in Game 2 of the First Round of the Western Conference Playoffs on Wednesday at American Airlines Center.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

eeek...he's going to be mad now...
Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
eleoson

eleoson can only hope to improve

Quote:
Who? Michael Jackson?
eleoson is offline   Reply With Quote