Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2001, 03:21 AM   #1
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Well for the first time in much too long I was able to see the Mavs on the cable...

- We had too many of those petty illegal defense tech fouls. We gave away like 4 points there, and then we were pretty slack on our own free throws.

- Steve Nash had a mediocre game. He was 2 of 9 for 3s, had 4 turnovers and 0 streals. Ouch. It really annoys me how he lets the ball dribble when it’s being imbounded. I mean he would waste more time recovering the low-dribbling ball than he would save by letting it go for an extra couple of time-free metres.

- Those Eduardo Najera ads are damn damn annoying. I don’t even have cable and I was sick of them by the 1st quarter!

- AWFUL officiating. I mean we constantly got hacked by a triad of Jazz players in the paint, and no call! And what did Don Nelson do to get that tech?! I mean if you give techs for whinging the Jazz would have to forfeit in the 2nd quarter. There was one jump ball that was blatantly biased towards the Jazz. It was clearly deliberate. Do the refs know that flopping does not constitute an offensive foul? Also there were 2 blatant travels early on, by Michael Finley and Danny Manning. I thought coaches, let’s just say Jerry S, were not allowed on the court during the game. Obviously players (97 Knicks playoffs) and owners can’t (Mark Cuban) One of the worst calls of the game was against Bradley. He got the rebound and pivoted, and apparently hit Olden Polynice. Even if he did hit him, he was the offence, Olden was moving, it was not deliberate. Did anyone else think Bradley missed him? At least Polynice got ejected however. That was just a typical dirt Utah Jazz thing to do. Bradley faked him out of his shoes. Stop here, and let’s all take a long laugh at Olden Polynice.. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Then when he comes down he tries to take out Bradley. Instead of fighting back, Bradley gets away. Olden was still looking for a fight so he tries to smack up Howard. What a punk!

- Dirk has a bad time out there, he really seemed effected by the booeing. He should take the outside shot more, instead of driving, spinning and getting hacked with no call. There were two awesome plays by Dirk, obviously the first was the four point play. It was clutch and really gave us momentum. The other was a nasty block, which was called a foul. Typical.

- Juwan Howard really likes the back-em-down-fall-away shot. It’s just a low percentage shot. There was one time where he dribbled around the defence and got a better balanced shot.

- Mark Bryant played 3 minutes, why was he taken off so early then left off??

- Fin was a true leader. We played hard and fairly consistently, and played okay defence on Stockton. 34 points and 8 boards all class. We were lucky he was on early, or else the score could have been something like 25 to 5 at the quarter.

- John Stockton is a punk. Every time he is driven on he will get in front and push backwards with his feet. Funny TBS commentary said something like “About four times now Stockton has fallen over for no apparent reason. John Stockton does not just trip over his own feet.”

- Since when could David Benoit have such an impact. David Benoit damnit. At least Marshall was quiet.

- We had one steal and 15 turnovers. Hmmmmm. We really need better ball control, and some sort of point guard backup.

- Byron Russell really likes to pull crazy three pointer out of his arse, especially form the corner. That one that went in as the shot clock expired really hurt.

- We really could have given Howard Eisley a go late in the 4th. I mean obviously his confidence is down, so why crush it by giving him a DNP?

- TBS commentary was good. Not annoying or biased. I guess this must take into the consideration that the last time I would watch basketball on TV it was with Bob Costas and Isiah Thomas. Now that’s relativity!

- Calvin Booth has talent, serious talent. Even if he does have that look on his face all the time. There was one play where took off from outside the 3 point line and took his two steps, went up and strong over the Jazz defenders for a dunk. Sure, he missed the dunk and it was a foul but the play made me go wow. And it was refreshing to see someone actually attack the bucket. Unfortunately whenever we do it, we are called for BS offensive fouls.

- I really thought we were going to win, at 90-87. We showed we can come back, and we can mix it up with them. I predict we will play significantly better in Dallas, especially Dirk. We can beat the Jazz and game 3 is ours.

GO MAVS!!
Old 04-26-2001, 08:28 AM   #2
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

good review of juwan howard.
he seriously needs to learn how to pass out of a double team
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 09:43 AM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Wow, great recap scooter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:13 AM   #4
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I do have to disagree with you on Dirk's post-up game. With Juwan and Bradley/Booth in, that points him at the SF position. He SHOULD completely dominate an SF at the post. Our big run to get within 3 points late in the game was largely due to Dirk's post up game. Then for some reason we decided to go away from it and start shooting from outside.

The refs were calling the EXTREMELY tight, so when we post up and make the strong move to the basket it is much more likely that we will get the call. Even the commentators were wondering why we didn't keep it up and foul out Marshall and a couple of other guys. "Stay with what works until the opposing team figures out how to stop it."
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #5
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

i completely agree with that dallaslaker.
yes, dirk struggled really badly in the first half and for part of the third.. but when the mavs got back into the game, it was on the heels of some threes by nash and dirk's post up game. why the hell did they go away from it? it makes no sense. they should have force fed the ball to dirk on the post and let him get his 5-10 foot shots and/or get to the line.... especially since finley had turned a bit cold by that time
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote