Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, Dirk's never looked as if he's the most fluid player in the league when running. He's never been aethetically pleasing to the eye when on the move. I don't see a huge change at this point. Maybe I'm missing it..but, I just don't see it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #42
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
I don't expect to see Dirk driving to the rim anymore, I don't think Dirk ever recovered from the injury he got vs the spurs last season. And that's why he looks like he's lost his speed
You don't think Dirk recovered from an ankle sprain in 7 months?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #43
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk recovers from ankle sprains in 7 hours.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #44
catsil

catsil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post

One thing that has bothered me the past couple of years.. even when Dirk won the MVP... It seems as if Avery almost completely got away from Dirk taking his man off the dribble. The year before he won his MVP, you would see the Mavs clear out and let Dirk create off the dribble. You rarely see that anymore. Why? AJ's plan was to more and more try and make Dirk's game look like that of Tim Duncan. This had it's upsides. Dirk's better in the post.. not necessarily as low as some would like, but he's an efficient scorer now with his back to the bucket. Dirk's a little bit better passer. But, we no longer see Dirk taking the ball hard to the rim after beating his man off of the dribble.
I'm glad someone mentioned this. In Dirk's 26 ppg pre-MVP year, he was doing a lot off the dribble, remember that 50 point game against T-Mac's Rockets. Then in the MVP year he had a lot of the whirling dervish from the top of the key which was extremely effective. Avery reshaped Dirk into a low post Duncan wannabe after the Warriors series where his speed was nullified by smaller quick forwards.

I still think Dirk's best offense move is the triple threat position, then jab and shoot, or dribble and pull up, dribble and fake. Good now that he has some post moves if Stephen Jackson or freakin Mikael Pietrus guard him again, but the high post moves should still be his bread and butter. When he was guarded by Matt Bonner or Ben Wallace, Carlisle still placed him on the low post. At that point I suddenly realize this isn't the kind of Dirk that made me into a fan.

Hopefully they do more of the Kidd and Nowitzki side pick and roll late in the Spurs game. Dirk got the ball at a good distance with a nice clear out and looked very comfortable.

Last edited by catsil; 11-06-2008 at 06:57 PM.
catsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #45
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I agree and the guys you named in both posts would be yelling at their teamates for not getting them the ball, hell would break loose and not just by the coach, probably would happen during a timeout on the floor by the superstar. Not saying that Dirk doesn't demand the ball at all, but it's not just everyone elses fault when he's not getting enough touches.
I remember those days, because everyone knew who was getting the ball when they wanted. Superstars dont need coaches to call plays for them. If so, then that player is very much guardable many times, because Superstars create on the fly and score at will. Players for the most part that needs plays ran for them can be stopped with proper defense.

I dont think Dirk needs the coaches to call plays for Dirk. Dirk needs to learn to be selfish and take it upon himself to take over more. I have watched opposing Superstars make it a point to guard Dirk in the crunch, and try to talk shit to him and bang on him a bit to get Dirk off his game. It works for the most part and that is why Dirk does not get the ball. I watched Lebron do it the other night. As soon as LeBron started guarding Dirk, he got very physical with Dirk and almost got a technical foul. From that point on, Dirk did not do too much and looked like a zombie.

Dirk being selfish is NOT inhumane and does not make him look bad. In fact, it does the exact opposite for Dirk. A selfish Dirk is unguardable and unbeatable for the most part. A selfish Dirk makes the Mavs big time playoff contenders.

I seriously think we need a selfish Dirk, but I think Dirk all those years with playing in the NBA and German National team each year is taking its toll. Watch Dirk when he is warming up, and you can see that he is using his legs alot more to take shots.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #46
catsil

catsil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
I remember those days, because everyone knew who was getting the ball when they wanted. Superstars dont need coaches to call plays for them. If so, then that player is very much guardable many times, because Superstars create on the fly and score at will. Players for the most part that needs plays ran for them can be stopped with proper defense.

I seriously think we need a selfish Dirk, but I think Dirk all those years with playing in the NBA and German National team each year is taking its toll. Watch Dirk when he is warming up, and you can see that he is using his legs alot more to take shots.
Some superstars are best at creating, like Kobe, LeBron, Duncan. But some superstars are more effective on the move, like Stoudemire, Garnett.

Of course Dirk can score one-on-one. Imagine how easier it is if he receives it at after a screen. With the defenders chasing and the threat of his quick trigger shot, he can use some fakes to keep defenders off balance. If it fails, then go one-on-one from there.

Dirk's sometimes way too content to start just swinging the ball from side to side. He then tries a couple shots, and if it's not falling, he'll defer to Jet or Howard again. Or he posts up, but it's obvious his purpose is to get the double team. Often they get a semi-contested 3 out of this. Now, if Dirk's more aggressive, the double team has to come in harder and it results in even better looks for the shooters. He also could be more selfish and take a couple shots out of pattern and keep his opponents on their toes.

IMHO, what made Dirk so dangerous in the early years is his unpredictability in attempting a shot (Nellie ball). Avery made him more methodical. In his pre- and MVP year, he striked a balance between the two and became brutally efficient. But last season and so far he has become a bit too methodical.

Last edited by catsil; 11-08-2008 at 02:33 AM.
catsil is offline   Reply With Quote