Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
After reading that, this very-unsafe-for-work clip was all I could think of...

Not only do we lose Bass for nothing, but involving them in the deal to get Marion allowed them to keep Gortat...

If anyone here still honestly has any faith in the FO, please, enlighten me as to why. It seems like every GM in the league can't wait to screw Cubes and ding-dong Donnie. Even if there were an under-the-table agreement between Otis and the mavs "brain trust(???)", those deals are illegal in daylight and impossible to enforce. Cubes and Donnie are arrogant amateurs running my favorite basketball team. Perhaps some people feel that Donnie isn't the worst GM in the NBA; you may be right...

But Otis Smith is a better GM than Donnie today and he isn't exactly a rocket scientist...

This sucks.
Involving them in the Marion deal had nothing to do with them keeping Gortat. Nothing in the slightest.

There's no doubt that Otis played a better hand of poker here, but the odds were stacked in his favor. He had the right to match any offer for Gortat, and he had the right to drag it out for a full week.

Bass decided to go elsewhere for playing time, and I'm not really sure how much Gortat actually played into that decision. Marion certainly had more to do with Bass' playing time drying up here.

Beyond that, while Otis certainly bluffed a big man away from Dallas, he's still left paying a horribly high price for a role player. I don't get the idea that he comes out smelling like roses here.

I think both teams lost yesterday.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?