Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute
Default Preseason GDT: Rockets at Mavs

Ok, last one, finally!

Quote:
With just five days left before the regular-season opener at home against the Charlotte Bobcats, the Mavericks (3-4) will hit the hardwood for their final dress rehearsal on Friday night.

As a final exhibition tuneup, the Mavs welcome in the Southwest Division rival Houston Rockets (4-3) to the American Airlines Center in hopes of establishing a home-court dominance before the regular season officially tips off. According to Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, that won't be an easy task against a Houston squad welcoming back former All-Star center Yao Ming. But if the team is to make Big D a hostile destination for visitors to travel to, Carlisle says showcasing that home-court advantage on Friday night is a good start.

"We're looking to reestablish ourselves as a high, high level home-court team," Carlisle said. "Last year, the road was an emphasis and we were the best in the league. We've gotta continue to be great on the road, but we've gotta take care of the home court."

The final pre-season matchup comes just a day after officially announcing that the team had waived Dee Brown, Adam Haluska, Rashad McCants and Sean Williams, finalizing the 15-man roster. Now the team prepares to take the court against a familiar foe, the Rockets -- a team the Mavs will see four times during the regular season.

"We're trying to win the game...For us, it's more about carrying over our strong practices to games," Carlisle explained. "The more great teams you can play the better. I've seen Houston on film and they're gonna be very, very good. And Yao is back and they've improved their roster. They've improved their quickness. They shoot the ball great, and so they really make you play. They're a tough matchup, and there will be no easy games this year."

The coach also admits that his team will have a tough task on its hands, trying to slow down the Rockets' now healthy 7-foot-6 center in the paint, after Houston's franchise player was forced to miss all of last season due to foot surgery.

"He looks good to me, and I know they've got him on a limited-minutes schedule. But when he plays, he looks like himself," Carlisle said of Yao's health situation.

Perhaps limiting the Mavericks' effectiveness against Yao will be the absence of Tyson Chandler, who will sit the game out after injuring his right thumb in a 101-76 loss to Orlando Wednesday night. While attempting to block Dwight Howard's shot attempt, Chandler's hand hit the rim, forcing the 7-foot-1 big man to receive two stitches to close a laceration.

"I knew I hurt it, but I just thought I banged it really hard on the rim," Chandler said of the play. "And then I looked down and I saw that my thumb was opened up."

The Mavs' summer addition fully expects to be healed and ready to go by the season opener. His coach also hopes to have the athletic five-man back as soon as possible.

"I like our team. We're working on our health, that's a big part of who we're gonna be," Carlisle explained. "Tyson's situation is gonna be a day-to-day thing...We need him to heal as quickly as possible."

That only puts more on the broad shoulders of fellow 7-footer Brendan Haywood, who says the team is ready to conclude the preseason on a high note so it can then turn its full attention to the Bobcats and the regular season.

"We know we have a job to do. We know we're talented enough to win a championship," Haywood said. "It's about executing and establishing good habits right now."

Haywood and the Mavericks bring the preseason to a close when they welcome the Rockets to the American Airlines Center Friday night, in a matchup that will tip off at 7:30 p.m. CT. The game will air locally on TXA 21. Tickets are still available and can be purchased at the American Airlines Center box office, on Mavs.com or by calling 214-747-MAVS (6287).

The Mavs then tip off the regular season next Wednesday night against Charlotte. That game will also tip off at 7:30 p.m. CT and will air on Fox Sports Southwest. For ticket information, visit the American Airlines Center box office, go to Mavs.com or call 214-747-MAVS (6287).

"Opening night, you always look forward to, I don't care how many years you've been in the league," Haywood said. "It's like the first day of school, you get to come out there and see the fans that you haven't seen in a long time. The building is energetic, and it's the start of the season, so right now everyone has a chance to win it. It's so exciting and everyone wants to go out there and play well the first night."
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/in...010_10_22.html
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote