Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

View Poll Results: Who should be next Cowboys Coach??
Keep Wade Phillips 4 8.51%
Hire Bill Cowher 25 53.19%
Hire Jimmy Johnson 4 8.51%
Promote Jason Garrett to Head Coach 4 8.51%
Hire someone else(3rd party) 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I never said that we should avoid bringing in a "Super Coach", and if Garrett totally flops over these next eight games I would probably be fine with bringing in a Gruden. I was merely pointing out that it's never as easy as bringing in a Super Coach to fix our problems. Plus, you make an excellent point when you say that it takes a lot to go right to win it all. That includes drive and hunger from your head coach.

Don't underestimate human nature here - it's a lot easier to have that drive and hunger when you're young and unproven. When you get have already proven yourself, have a fat contract, and don't have the energy of your youth, it can be hard to match the performance you put together through a masterful Super Bowl run. Look at the last four coaches in the Super Bowl - Whisenhunt, Tomlin, Caldwell, and Payton. These guys weren't brand names beforehand, yet it didn't seem to turn out too poorly for their teams.

Whether Garrett is the next of the new kids on the block to find coaching success remains to be seen. But I don't really see the point in writing him off already before he's coached his first game when the Super Coaches that everyone is clamoring for aren't going to be slam dunks (if history has anything to say about it). Why don't we just sit back and see what Garrett can do? If you've been paying attention so far, you might have noticed that he's already done some impressive things in his first week. I, for one, am interested to see if it will translate onto the gridiron.
A very nice post.

Look, deep down I would be fine if Garrett is successful and he completely proves me wrong (hopefully not with wins THIS year though - I really want a good draft).

All I want is for us to win - consistently. I want us to be the Dallas Cowboys I grew up with. A team that is feared league wide. You can't ALWAYS be that, but damn it we have the talent now so we should be and we aren't. That is so damn frustrating. I have no desire to screw these last 4-5 great years of Romo's career on a coach that has to learn on the job.

If Garrett truly has it, fine. Yeah, it will take a lot to win me over but if he proves me wrong by removing the dumb, putting inspired and dedicated players on the field, finds a way to stop the mistakes, etc he will eventually earn my respect. He has definitely done a few things lately that I have read about that impressed me, but I still know how shitty he has been as a coordinator. Maybe he is one of those guys that are shitty coordinators and good head coaches. I don't know.

My head, gut, and heart tell me he will fail and be replaced. When all 3 are set on one answer I am pretty adamant on my stance so forgive the short fuse. We all want the same thing ultimately - success from the Cowboys. Let's hope that 2011 is VERY different from 2010, regardless if Garrett is steering this ship or my preferred coaching options.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 11-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy pandering