Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #1
za dunkin' 1

za dunkin' 1 is on a distinguished road

Well I definitely think Rigaudeau can play the point forward position. He's been doin' it in Europe for the last couple of years.

You have to know that originally Rigaudeau is a point guard! He started to play professional at 16.
His whole career in France and the two first years of his career in Italy, he played at point, (which causes him to be called "Le Roi", you guess why...) occasionally playing shooting guard when shooting acccuracy was required, mainly when facing zone defenses.

Then a young player from Yougoslavia playing at the point emerged in the same Team: Marko Jaric, which plays now for The Clippers. Given the shooting skills of Rigeaudeau and his experience (His was by then 28, 12 years of professionalism) the Coach of the italian team let the point to Jaric to mature and Rigaudeau played more and more at the 2 position.

Then a young player from ...Argentina emerged at the 2-position : Ginobili, that u all know I think! You know then what happened : Rigaudeau which was 29, played at the 3 and let the 2-spot to Ginobili. And the Virtus Bologne waas playing with Jaric-Ginobili-Rigaudeau! nice back court.

I have to precise that You can't deduce that Rigaudeau is not good enough as Ginobili at 2 , or Jaric at 1. Simply they were young players, and that great coach that is Messina choose to let them develop at their natural position, taking advantage of Rigaudeau polyvalence.

Messina was preparing the future for The Virtus, but he had not forecast that the NBA teams would start to cherish non American players and steal him his jewels...

Precision : He won French Championship with Pau Orthez Club in France, Italian championship and European Club championship with the Virtus Bologna, The Silver Medal with the French national team in Sydney olympics (where they defeated Nash en Canada in semi finals...)

Do u know why the Virtus wanted absolutely to get him : During one European championship game that went in overtime Pau Orthez won on the Virtus' floor, with 45 points of Rigaudeau, among them the 16 points his team scored in overtime...
But I agree he was 7 years ago.

Bemol : I truly think he will adjust in offense, but in defense it'll be a lot more difficult, I barely see him defending on Mc Grady or Hill, or Griffin and Francis.

But may be Nelson intends to play zone defense most of the times when Rigaudeau will be on the floor?

That's it Hope you had a few answers to the questions this French-Italian arrival raises!

Anyway soon, the games and his production will answer all the questions
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

za dunkin' 1 is offline   Reply With Quote