Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maybe it's time to just blow it all up, now.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do. I've had season tickets since the day he was drafted, until I left town this year. I saw him looking lost in Reunion, and watched him drop fifty on Tim Thomas after the infamous kiss. I was there when he spit out a tooth and kept going. I saw him crushed when Nash left, and when we lost to Miami. And I got to see him get the ultimate revenge. Now, it pains me to say, that maybe the best thing he could do for us, is leave.

Put Dirk on any team in the playoffs now and they become instant favorites. We could get back a young stud, a pretty good mid 20's player and some decent picks. Or we could trade him to a bad team, take their last year's top pick, this year's lottery slot, and another 2 years down the line. With any luck, we'd be bad enough to get a top 5 pick of our own, then boom...we are young, talented and hungry.

If we can get Derron, I'd say go for it with Dirk. But if we don't, we will not be good enough to win it all before Dirk's window closes. If we let him go, we have a huge amount of money to shop next year, when the CBA starts forcing over the cap teams to have fire sales.

The front office says nothing is more valuable than flexibility...this is one way to get it. I'm not sure its the right way or that this is the time. Maybe next off season would be better. But anybody that gets Dirk now has a great one for at least 3 years...cut 33% off that and his value is way less.

While this may not be the time, the fact is, our talent pool is old and running on fumes. Trading Dirk could let us top it off in the next 2 years. Wouldn't it be fun to root for some young guns again? What do you think?